Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Just a reminder -- don't use your free night certs for stays in 2020. Much better to use points with the rebate. Save those free certs for 2021.
In theory, that's right. But in practice, there are likely to be similar deals all throughout 2021 also.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Just a reminder -- don't use your free night certs for stays in 2020. Much better to use points with the rebate. Save those free certs for 2021.
Perhaps for your travel patterns but not for a mine.

certificates expire, points do not.Points are good for high category hotels, certs are not.

for certificates I always believe use that when you have a good reason to, trying to maximize them.

right now I’d be looking at cash rates for the lower category hotels instead of points. When this is over, I will be doing a week in Paris a week in London and a week in Vienna all on points and TSUs, So I will need all my points
Peatisback likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Perhaps for your travel patterns but not for a mine.

certificates expire, points do not.Points are good for high category hotels, certs are not.

for certificates I always believe use that when you have a good reason to, trying to maximize them.

right now I’d be looking at cash rates for the lower category hotels instead of points. When this is over, I will be doing a week in Paris a week in London and a week in Vienna all on points and TSUs, So I will need all my points
Fair enough. Personally I would rather have a Cat 4 Certificate with 12/31/21 expiration date than 11,250 points.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Further extended awards to the end of 2021. Suite upgrades expiring in early 2021 are included!

https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world.../covid-19.html
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:42 am

has anyone yet seen his TSUs & free night certs with 2021 expiration dates extended to 12/31/2021 expiration?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:02 am

Supposedly 11/20 is when the extension happens
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Colin
has anyone yet seen his TSUs & free night certs with 2021 expiration dates extended to 12/31/2021 expiration?
I have awards expiring on 2/28/21 and 3/3/21... I'd certainly like to see these extended, but they're not eligible (yet).
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
All my free nights have now been extended until 12/31/21.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:10 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
My free night awards have been extended but my upgrade awards are still showing the original expiration date ...
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skj
My free night awards have been extended but my upgrade awards are still showing the original expiration date ...
Same with my Club Access Awards!
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Both my free nights and suite upgrades are still showing expiration of 2/28/21. When I called my Concierge about it just now she said that they started today to change them to 12/31/21, but since they are doing each account manually she has no idea when it will be completed. She had 6 people call in today to ask about this and only one person's account had been updated. Will take days she said.
tearex likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Anybody get their Suite Upgrades with a 2/28/21 expiration extended to 12/31/21 yet?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by josephstern
Originally Posted by skj
Same with my Club Access Awards!
My club access awards are also still showing Feb 28 expiry.

But I also see this:
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Any concrete dp on when my 6/20/21 certificate will update to 12/31/21? I have heard by 11/20 but hyatt states it will update by the 20th of the month it expires (so 6/20/21)
Looking deeper: (https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world.../covid-19.html)

4. How will the award expiration date extension be facilitated?
The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take action. Qualifying unused Club Lounge Access and Suite Upgrade awards that expire February 2021 and promotional Free Night awards issued in 2020 with expiration date before December 31, 2021 will be replaced with a new award beginning November 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
If so, then for those with Feb 2021 expiry, beginning Nov 20, 202 and 'anytime' in the three month period before then and Feb 20, 2021

Last edited by serfty; Nov 23, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hp12c
FYI, the extensions aren't going to be effective until November 20, 2020. My concierge just let me know that she couldn't yet apply a February-expiring TSU for a July reservation.
Can you clarify this? I was told by someone today on the phone that the TSU won't extend until the month they expire, but the FAQ seems pretty clear the extension will take place on Nov 20th. We are past Nov 20th now and mine have not extended.
Any ideas?
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Can you clarify this? I was told by someone today on the phone that the TSU won't extend until the month they expire, but the FAQ seems pretty clear the extension will take place on Nov 20th. We are past Nov 20th now and mine have not extended.
Any ideas?
Mine haven't extended expiry either. I'll wait.
My free night that had been extended to the end of 2021 disappeared. I'll give Hyatt's crack IT team a while to fix it since I don't plan on using it any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.