Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Will my 2021 awards get extended?

All official announcements to date have said that awards issues in 2021 would not be extended. Unofficially, based on anecdotal evidence in this thread, people have been able to get their Cat1-4 and Cat1-7 awards expiring in 2021 extended to end of January 2022. Reports are that this extension can/will only be done on request and during the month of expiration. Some Globalists have reported being able to get their concierge to exchange their expiring awards for points (10k for 1-4 and 20k for 1-7).
Summary of award types and expiration:
  • New card bonus: 6-month
  • Bonus Journeys 2021 Promo: 6-month
  • 30 nights (milestone cat 1-4): 6-month
  • 60 nights (milestone cat 1-7): 6-month
  • Brand Explorer: 12-month
  • CC $15k: 12-month
  • CC annual FN (cat 1-4): 12-month
  • Other CC FN: typically 12-month
History / Background:

Through to the end of 2020, Hyatt had a policy of extending awards issued in 2020 to have an expiration date of 12/31/21. The awards were initially issued with the standard expiration date (see above) and then a batch process ran periodically (roughly every two weeks) to update the expiration dates to 12/31/21. The last batch update ran in the first week of January 2021 to update the expiration dates of awards issued in the last weeks of 2020 (per Hyatt's official expiration date extension policy).

Awards issued in 2021 that were issued before the batch ran to update the
2020 awards were also updated to expire on 12/31/21. This could have been by design (i.e. Hyatt wanted to update the 2021 awards too) or just a byproduct of how the 2020 award update process was set up (i.e. it was easier to update everything that was issued since the previous batch ran rather than try to separate 2020 vs. 2021).

Hyatt may at some point choose to update awards in 2021 to expire on 12/31/21. But they also may not. The unofficial communications so far - i.e. reports from Twitter/Customer Service reps - have been that they will not be updating them. There has been no official announcement either way - but the default assumption should be that awards will not be extended. It's all conjecture until there is an official announcement.

Here is a response to a FlyerTalker's (
hoipolloi's) question to Hyatt on whether 2021 awards will be extended:

Originally Posted by Hyatt Consumer Affairs Department

Thank you for taking the time to provide recommendations and feedback regarding our guest loyalty program, World of Hyatt. This feedback allows us to enhance member experiences. I want to thank you on behalf of Amy and let you know we’re continuously monitoring the situation, as it is very fluid. However, at this time, we do not have any extensions for awards earned in 2021, as we are seeing that our members are able to redeem them. Should this change, we will adjust as soon as possible.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt further extends expiration of awards plus more

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Many Hyatt awards issued after the first week of Jan 2021 have an expiration date that's six months from date of issue. Everything issued up to the first week of Jan 2021 have a 12/31/211 expiration date. So the OP is advocating an extension of up to 51 weeks, depending on when the award was issued.
An extension to 12/31/21 (or very early 2022) would be closer to "up to 26 weeks".

To be fair, if Hyatt is worried about cash flow I would think that extensions to new(er) certs into 2022 would help avoid a "cert redemption bubble" in mid-to-late 2021.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
An extension to 12/31/21 (or very early 2022) would be closer to "up to 26 weeks".
Fail.

To be fair, if Hyatt is worried about cash flow I would think that extensions to new(er) certs into 2022 would help avoid a "cert redemption bubble" in mid-to-late 2021.
Yes, although they're probably also planning for a certain amount of "breakage" since they've been pretty generous in handing out Cat1-4 awards this year.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by craz
can you please post a link to where Hyatt ever said or inferred that they plan to extend any cert earned in '21. I believe you answered the question when you posted "I was expecting" if you based everything on an assumption w/o any mention from Hyatt about it sorry you and dme and everyone is SOL.

I assumed that Hyatt wouldnt extend them unless we were still in a Lockdoiwn mode which we arent and travel is increasing as are fares and hotel rates are going up everyday.I always assume that the T&Cs will remain as they are and thankful if they change in my favor

And those who earn them in June will say its unfair that those who earned them in Jan get a 11 months while I only get 6
most countries are STILL in lockdown mode
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Some people have already used most of the FNs. So now they are fiercely against Hyatt granting further extensions....

Go figure.

But I plan to use them as quickly as I can the rest of the year. More FNs are coming my way.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Cash flow? Hyatt reimburses the hotels very little for award nights when occupancy is low.

And breakage is even better for the cash flow numbers...
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
They should really extend the suite upgrade certificates. I have bookings for 2022, but obviously haven't had much of a chance at all to earn suite upgrade certificates for that.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Fail.

Yes, although they're probably also planning for a certain amount of "breakage" since they've been pretty generous in handing out Cat1-4 awards this year.
(1) How is that a fail? A cert which is issued on 01/15/21 that has a six-month expiration would expire on about 07/15/21. An extension to the end of 2021 (give or take a week) would be around a 24-25 week extension.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Cash flow? Hyatt reimburses the hotels very little for award nights when occupancy is low.

And breakage is even better for the cash flow numbers...
The risk would seem to be inducing use during the summer peak (which is setting to be a doozy in some places, if I had to guess). It would probably make a certain amount of sense to maneuver the expiration date(s) into the post-Christmas season.

While I'm at it, I'd be curious to see statistics on breakage (I say, pondering how to use the four cat 1-4 certs I have on hand and the two certs (one 1-4, one 1-7) I'll likely be getting in the next few months...the main holdup has been the spotty amenities and so on at some favored hotels until recently [e.g. I wasn't going to burn certs/points at the HR Orlando International Airport, or deal with the parking fees, if McCoy's was on restricted operations].)
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hoipolloi

And alot are opening up shortly, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I fully understand if a person has no Hyatts in the Country they leave in or are stuck in and cant get out, otherwise as Ive said numerous times where does Hyatt say the use of said certs can NOT be in your home Country? I understand wanting to use it to make out savings or to an Intl destination where a person wants to go rather then have to use it at a Hyatt within their Country where they really dont want to. But as long as it can be used then use it and Hyatt should FWIW IMO grant an extension only to those who can prove they were in aplace under Lockdown and had no way to use it, of cause if Hyatt checks taht persons acct and sees they had stays I wouldnt expect Hyatt to grant that wish
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
Some people have already used most of the FNs. So now they are fiercely against Hyatt granting further extensions....

Go figure.

But I plan to use them as quickly as I can the rest of the year. More FNs are coming my way.
Or maybe there are actually people who practice what they Preach!

I dont believe I ever said Hyatt shouldnt extend the certs, as much as I dont believe they will, I didnt call up and tell them Dont extend them, if Hyatt wants to and feels they need to then they will extend them. I for 1 wasnt chancing it and not knowing Intl travel will open to places I want to go that has a Hyatt I want to stay at, I decided it was best to burn them now at my will rather then later under pressure or not being able to use them where I would want to within my Country. Its a YMMV issue and those who gambled upon a further extension did just that gamble (they still may get what they wanted) but dont complain and yell Unfair if Hyatt doesnt budge is basically what Ive said.. Now should those Countrys open up I can always use my pts for the res should the rate be more then Im willing to shell out, and everyone else can do likewise

Last edited by craz; Apr 29, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:09 pm
Suspended

(1) How is that a fail? A cert which is issued on 01/15/21 that has a six-month expiration would expire on about 07/15/21. An extension to the end of 2021 (give or take a week) would be around a 24-25 week extension.
At least a couple of FN awards have 6-month expiry. Those folks are impacted. This is very reasonable IMO.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:10 pm

Or maybe there are actually people who practice what they Preach!

I dont believe I ever said Hyatt shouldnt extend the certs, as much as I dont believe they will, I didnt call up and tell them Dont extend them, if Hyatt wants to and feels they need to then they will extend them. I for 1 wasnt chancing it and not knowing Intl travel will open to places I want to go that has a Hyatt I want to stay at, I decided it was best to burn them now at my will rather then later under pressure or not being able to use them where I would want to within my Country. Its a YMMV issue and those who gambled upon a further extension did just that gamble (they still may get what they wanted) but dont complain and yell Unfair if Hyatt doesnt budge is basically what Ive said.. Now should those Countrys open up I can always use my pts for the res should the rate be more then Im willing to shell out, and everyone else can do likewise
some need some comprehension hand holding. It’s like talking to a wall.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
At least a couple of FN awards have 6-month expiry. Those folks are impacted. This is very reasonable IMO.
The phrasing made it sound like my calculation was a fail ;-)

I believe that the one I got from the CC transition (I held onto the legacy CC until the end...I'm actually still using the physical old card and will do so until Chase forces me onto the new one) was a six-month expiry. That would've been the one I "burned" in New Orleans back in March (since it had a June-ish expiration IIRC) and was the genesis of my complaints about parking at said hotel.

And indeed, that is a perfect example of what should be covered/should merit an extension since that was a free night from something which has zilch to do with staying at hotels.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:49 pm
Suspended

And indeed, that is a perfect example of what should be covered/should merit an extension since that was a free night from something which has zilch to do with staying at hotels.
OK I will bite. Why should 1 cert be held different then the others? Yes I do understand that if a person has stayed and earned them then stay and use them. But we all with the CC knew it had only x time to be used. Again Id agree if say the locale a person lived in has no Hyatts and they were according to law under a lockdown and couldnt get any where where a Hyatt was located. Barring that I dont especially since most certs still have at least 2 more months to go and many places have opened to travel eg within The US or EU. The fact that I still cant enter the EU or maybe someon ein The EU enter The US doesnt mean they cant use the cert.

FWIW I have a cert with Marriott and MR announced today a further extension to their Certs depending when they were issued well, mine was issued before that date and will exp on 8/1 no further extension and its a week cert, guess what I will use it and not where I would have and you wont find a post by me on The MR forum knocking MR for not including ALL certs. It is what it is and I will live with it
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:05 pm

OK I will bite. Why should 1 cert be held different then the others? Yes I do understand that if a person has stayed and earned them then stay and use them. But we all with the CC knew it had only x time to be used. Again Id agree if say the locale a person lived in has no Hyatts and they were according to law under a lockdown and couldnt get any where where a Hyatt was located. Barring that I dont especially since most certs still have at least 2 more months to go and many places have opened to travel eg within The US or EU. The fact that I still cant enter the EU or maybe someon ein The EU enter The US doesnt mean they cant use the cert.

FWIW I have a cert with Marriott and MR announced today a further extension to their Certs depending when they were issued well, mine was issued before that date and will exp on 8/1 no further extension and its a week cert, guess what I will use it and not where I would have and you wont find a post by me on The MR forum knocking MR for not including ALL certs. It is what it is and I will live with it
So, the issue here is that the base CC certs are good for a year. The second certificate from the CC for spending $15,000 is good for a year. But the "thank you for sticking with the old CC" certificate...I believe that was made into a six-month cert instead. Basically, the rule is [as far as I can tell] that certs from staying nights tend to be six-month certs while the certs from the CC tend to be one-year certs. But this one ended up being goofy, so I'd ask the question of why Hyatt treated this CC FNA different from the others.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:12 pm
Suspended

The phrasing made it sound like my calculation was a fail ;-)
I believe those FNs have 6-month expiry:

New card bonus
Bonus journey
30 nights
Globalist 60 nights

The first three can be reached any time of the year.

Last edited by RedSun; Apr 29, 2021 at 5:27 pm Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.