Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancellation Wording

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Seeing this for Destination Hotel for next spring. How does it apply to points reservation? What is the deposit amount? How much do I get charged if I cancel after booking?

Cancellation Policy
One Night Non-Refundable Deposit/Non-Refundable Balance Due 30 Days Prior To 11:59 Pm Local Time The Day Of Arrival
Deposit Policy
Credit Card Deposit Required
Old Jul 30, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
That means they will take the points (or if Globalist booking without sufficient points they will make the reservation for you), but from the time you book, if you cancel the reservation at 31 days or more prior, your credit card will be charged 1 night room and tax at whatever the rack rate is on the date you cancel. If you cancel at 30 days prior and less, you will be charged 100% to your credit card, rack rate. Proceed with caution!
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:25 am

I'm trying to book a suite in Hyatt Ziva PV. Does the policy below indicates it's completely non-refundable? What does the "30 days" mean if it's non-refundable? Thank you.

Cancellation Policy
11:59pm Hotel Time 30 Days Before Arrival Entire Stay Charged Non-Refundable/Credit Card Required
Deposit Policy
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by xudongsun
I'm trying to book a suite in Hyatt Ziva PV. Does the policy below indicates it's completely non-refundable? What does the "30 days" mean if it's non-refundable? Thank you.

Cancellation Policy
11:59pm Hotel Time 30 Days Before Arrival Entire Stay Charged Non-Refundable/Credit Card Required
Deposit Policy
They will charge you the full amount if you cancel within 30 days.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xudongsun
Cancellation Policy
Deposit Policy
It says they're going to charge the full amount to your card 30 days prior to stay, and that it's nonrefundable.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Anyone have thoughts on this one? If I'm reading this right, this should be cancellable up through tonight at 11:59pm local time (stay begins Oct 6). But they already charged me a deposit several days ago—which is throwing me off, since I also read this as the deposit not being charged until today. Would the deposit be refunded?

Cancellation Policy:
11:59Pm Hotel TIME 14 Days BEFORE ARRIVAL Entire Stay Charged Nonref/ccard Required

Guarantee Policy:
Deposit By Credit Card Required Deposit Required By September 22, 2023 4 Night(s) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card

Last edited by Scifience; Sep 22, 2023 at 8:05 pm
Old Sep 23, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Scifience
Anyone have thoughts on this one? If I'm reading this right, this should be cancellable up through tonight at 11:59pm local time (stay begins Oct 6). But they already charged me a deposit several days ago—which is throwing me off, since I also read this as the deposit not being charged until today. Would the deposit be refunded?

Cancellation Policy:
11:59Pm Hotel TIME 14 Days BEFORE ARRIVAL Entire Stay Charged Nonref/ccard Required

Guarantee Policy:
Deposit By Credit Card Required Deposit Required By September 22, 2023 4 Night(s) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card
It's not uncommon to see rates that allow a deposit to be charged prior to the cancel deadline. In this case, you had until 11:59 pm on the 22nd to cancel.
Scifience likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Use the lack of mention of the actual amount that will be charged (in case of cancellation or no show) to your advantage as it is a good argument to argue against the fee if charged, in a chargeback to your credit card issuer or in a small claims lawsuit
I think this policy is extremely misleading if they are charging a rack room rate. This is an example of the cancellation policy (as others have shared similar examples)
Deposit Policy

Deposit By Credit Card Required Deposit Required By January 05, 2024 1 Night(s) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card

Cancellation Policy

One Night Non-Refundable Dep/nonref Balance Due 30 Days PRIOR TO 11:59 PM LOCAL TIME THE DAY OF ARRIVAL
I totally agree with your assessment. To me , this has the strong implication that they will charge a deposit by that date and keep it if you cancel within the time period. For my case, I was never charged a deposit so it seems like a) the amount they would keep = deposit amount = 0 and more generally b) that the amount they would charge should have been made clear at the time the deposit was charge, which was never charged, therefore whatever amount they decide to charge will exceed what they promised per policy to charge.

Im curious, if i end up having to fight this via credit card chargeback do you think that would affect my ability to use my hyatt card and account? TIA.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by JBNV123
I think this policy is extremely misleading if they are charging a rack room rate. This is an example of the cancellation policy (as others have shared similar examples)

I totally agree with your assessment. To me , this has the strong implication that they will charge a deposit by that date and keep it if you cancel within the time period. For my case, I was never charged a deposit so it seems like a) the amount they would keep = deposit amount = 0 and more generally b) that the amount they would charge should have been made clear at the time the deposit was charge, which was never charged, therefore whatever amount they decide to charge will exceed what they promised per policy to charge.

Im curious, if i end up having to fight this via credit card chargeback do you think that would affect my ability to use my hyatt card and account? TIA.
I don't think it will affect your credit card. that's a separate business. Chase also may not side with you...
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by JBNV123
For my case, I was never charged a deposit so it seems like a) the amount they would keep = deposit amount = 0 and more generally b) that the amount they would charge should have been made clear at the time the deposit was charge, which was never charged, therefore whatever amount they decide to charge will exceed what they promised per policy to charge.

Is this for an award stay or a cash stay? Regardless whether the deposit was charged or not, it was disclosed that cancelation inside of thirty days would result in a one-night's charge. If it's an award stay, I would tend to agree with you that they haven't disclosed the amount of the charge. If it's a cash stay, you do know what one night's charge would be.

A charge-back to a Hyatt property probably would not impact your relationship with Hyatt, as I don't recall reading any reports of Hyatt bans (though you might be banned by the specific property). I do recall occasional reports of problems with Marriott. If you do it with Hertz, they will definitely ban you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.