Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancellation Wording

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hyatt Cancellation Wording

I really HATE the wording some Hyatts use on the cancellation notes, especially when booking on points.

I just made a reservation where the wording is:

Cancellation Policy
One Night Deposit. Full Charge Cancel 60days Prior Arrival
Then, in the email I have:

CANCELLATION POLICY: 1NT DEP DUE AT BOOKING. FULL CHARGE IF CXL 60DAYS PRIOR ARRIVAL
I've come to generally believe this to mean that if I cancel more than 60 days before the reservation, there is a full refund of my points and deposit. But it's really not at all clear.

I don't even know where the implied punctuation should be. In the first example, you could put "unless" in between charge and cancel. But in the second one, there's an "if" that makes no sense whatsoever.

This is one example, but I see it all the time.

Contrast this type of wording with a different type I sometimes get:

CANCELLATION POLICY: 48HRS PRIOR TO CHECK IN TO AVOID 1NT FEE
To me, 100% clear. Using this wording, the previous hotel could say CANCELLATION POLICY: 60DAYS PRIOR TO CHECK IN TO AVOID FULL STAY FEE
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that they deduct the points at booking (to ensure you don't double-use them) but if you no-show or late-cancel, your points will be refunded and you will be charged the cash rate.
satellite779 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even 48 hours prior to check in is ambiguous. It should state the specific date and time of the cancellation deadline, of course in the time zone of the hotel.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A hotel does have a posted check-in time. I don't think there's any ambiguity.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
A hotel does have a posted check-in time. I don't think there's any ambiguity.
I think this is unclear:

FULL CHARGE IF CXL 60DAYS PRIOR ARRIVAL

So what happens at 61 days? How about 59 days?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I think this is unclear:

So what happens at 61 days? How about 59 days?
I meant there is no ambiguity around the "48 hr before check-in" language. It's clear what that means.

I agree that the wording you quoted is ambiguous. At 59 you clearly get charged for every night of the stay. The unclear part is whether your initial deposit is refundable outside of 60 days.
josephstern likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's another version, much clearer:

Terms & Conditions

Flexible - Free Cancellation by 04:00 PM EST, February 13, 2020
Andaz 5th Avenue will charge a cancellation fee equal to the first night of your reservation if canceled after the date and time above.
Why can't they all have that format? Same website . . .
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any ambiguity is resolved in favor of the party who did not draft the contract. Any credit card issuer will be on your side.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree with the OP, the WOH language is often unclear. As to 48 hours prior to check in, I would much prefer just a stated time and date. I don't keep track of when check in times are and I don't know why I should since that time has no significance anyways. (I generally check in whenever I show up, whether it is 8AM or midnight and it seems just as common to have to wait for my room to be done after 3 as before 3 because successfully checking in has to do with occupancy, room type reserved (or upgraded into), and housekeeping employees vs # of rooms turning over).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I meant there is no ambiguity around the "48 hr before check-in" language. It's clear what that means.

I agree that the wording you quoted is ambiguous. At 59 you clearly get charged for every night of the stay. The unclear part is whether your initial deposit is refundable outside of 60 days.
In my experience it has required an email to the hotel and asking for the deposit refund.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
In my experience it has required an email to the hotel and asking for the deposit refund.
I actually usually don't get charged for the deposit in the first place, even when stated. Not sure why that is, but it's obviously fine with me.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:02 pm

Does this mean I get all my points back as long as we cancel at least 10 days before arrival ? Thanks

One Night Rt at Bk/nref 10 Days Prior To Arrival
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Does this mean I get all my points back as long as we cancel at least 10 days before arrival ? Thanks

One Night Rt at Bk/nref 10 Days Prior To Arrival
Ha! Classic one. I really don't know what "Rt" is but I assume "Bk" is booking.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Ha! Classic one. I really don't know what "Rt" is but I assume "Bk" is booking.
Here is the reply from Hyatt.........The general cancellation policy allows you to cancel the reservation by no later than 4 PM EST 10 days prior to arrival to receive the points back into your account and not be charged for the stay. In extenuating circumstances due to COVID-19, the hotel will allow you to cancel up to 4 PM EST 24 hours prior to arrival to receive the points back into your account and not be charged for the stay.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:30 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Booked at the Gild Hall NY. Got this policy. Also ambiguous.
what if I plan to check-in at 11pm, can I canecel by 11pm the day before? I presume not…. And that Hyatt means 24h prior to standard check-in time.
they could be clearer…

Cancellation Policy
24Hours Prior To Checkin To Avoid One Night Fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.