Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold

There's a new Hyatt property in Puerto Rico that's coming up when searching, but has not been added to the interactive map yet: Hyatt Regency Coco Beach Resort

It's accepting reservations starting September 15, 2019. Looking at the map, this seems to be the old Melia property that's rebranding - I actually stayed at this resort back in 2007 or so, and while there was no swimmable beach, the property was very nice. Glad to see a resort option in Puerto Rico in addition to all of the limited service properties!
Old May 3, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Nice option!!! No category define yet as using points is still blank.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:22 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
There's a new Hyatt property in Puerto Rico that's coming up when searching, but has not been added to the interactive map yet: Hyatt Regency Coco Beach Resort

It's accepting reservations starting September 15, 2019. Looking at the map, this seems to be the old Melia property that's rebranding - I actually stayed at this resort back in 2007 or so, and while there was no swimmable beach, the property was very nice. Glad to see a resort option in Puerto Rico in addition to all of the limited service properties!
yeah nice option. Why do you say, there is no swimmable beach? If I look at Google Earth, it looks like a nice beach?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-65.7987262

Thanks for clarification.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by 59Impala
yeah nice option. Why do you say, there is no swimmable beach? If I look at Google Earth, it looks like a nice beach?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-65.7987262

Thanks for clarification.
Unless things have changed, the beach was very rocky and full of seaweed/vegetation, with sand ending at water edge; due this area being a nature preserve (at least that's what I was told), the hotel was not allowed to make any changes to it. There was a fairly narrow strip of sand with some palm trees, and a few beach chairs, but no one really using that area. Looking at Google Maps, it still looks that way.
The pool complex on the other hand was great!
59Impala likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:35 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Official press release out

So it will be "an affiliated hotel of Hyatt" as of July 2019 and rebrand to Hyatt Regency after renovation later this year.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123851

Hyatt Announces Plans for Hyatt Regency Coco Beach Resort in Puerto Rico

Hotel marks Hyatt's continued growth in the Caribbean region

CHICAGO (June 4, 2019) - Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE:H) announced today that a Hyatt affiliate has entered into a franchise agreement with Coco Hotel 1 LLC for a new hotel, expected to open July 2019 as a Hyatt affiliated hotel and then become Hyatt Regency Coco Beach Resort after an extensive renovation is completed this fall. The 486-room hotel with 93 branded residencies will be managed by Aimbridge Hospitality and signifies Hyatt’s continued brand growth on the island of Puerto Rico and across the Caribbean region. The hotel will be the brand’s only full-service property in Puerto Rico. The hotel will operate as The Resort at Coco Beach, a Hyatt affiliated hotel, from July 2019 until the renovation is completed.

The hotel will join four select-service Hyatt hotels open in Puerto Rico: Hyatt House San Juan, Hyatt Place Manati, Hyatt Place San Juan Bayamon and Hyatt Place San Juan City Center.

“The expansive redevelopment of this premiere beachfront property is a testament to the confidence among owners and developers in the destination of Puerto Rico and the Hyatt brand,” said Camilo Bolaños, vice president of development and real estate – Latin America and Caribbean, Hyatt. “We are pleased to continue our strong brand growth in the region, proudly supporting Puerto Rico’s upward tourism sector, which we believe has an even brighter future ahead.”

The hotel will be situated on a 1,000-acre peninsula within a private development known as Coco Beach on the northeast coast of Puerto Rico that includes 36 holes of championship golf. In close proximity to San Juan’s Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, the hotel will offer guests approximately 37,000 square feet of flexible meeting and event space, spacious guestrooms including 93 upgraded suites with in-room whirlpool tubs and kitchenettes, a club lounge and locally inspired dining destinations. Prior to its significant redesign, renovation and rebrand, the hotel was Melia Coco Beach.

Once open this summer, the new hotel will offer a seamless, intuitive experience for leisure and business travelers alike. Guests will enjoy a full range of services and amenities, including notable culinary experiences, stress-free environments for seamless gatherings, and expansive technology-enabled facilities for meetings and events, along with expert planners who adhere to every detail with high-touch experiences for event attendees.
sch_flyer likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 4, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Just received the following response from The Resort at Coco Beach:

Hello Mr. Gray, thank you so much for your interest in The Resort at Coco Beach for your vacation trip during Spring Break, our hotel is category 4, if you need additional information or need help to book your room, please do not hesitate to contact us at 787-657-1040, we will be here to help you Monday to Friday 8AM to 7PM or weekends 9AM to 5PM

Sincerely,

Ana Sanchez

Reservations Agent
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:20 am
soy

Programs: various
Anyone know if the Explorist club upgrades will work here, or will we have to wait for the rebrand to proper Hyatt Regency ?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by soy
Anyone know if the Explorist club upgrades will work here, or will we have to wait for the rebrand to proper Hyatt Regency ?
It *should* be usable. Despite not being in the marketing, it looks like they are selling rooms with Club Access, and that's exactly what the certs are for.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by dmgrayinva
Just received the following response from The Resort at Coco Beach:

Hello Mr. Gray, thank you so much for your interest in The Resort at Coco Beach for your vacation trip during Spring Break, our hotel is category 4, if you need additional information or need help to book your room, please do not hesitate to contact us at 787-657-1040, we will be here to help you Monday to Friday 8AM to 7PM or weekends 9AM to 5PM

Sincerely,

Ana Sanchez

Reservations Agent
Oh BTW - the hotel is bookable right now, both on cash as well as with points.

AND I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but this is a category 3, so only 12K points/night.

Both junior suites (king or 2 Double) are bookable at 12k/nt. And they're 500+ sf, so that gets you a really nice sized room. Typical nightly rates throughout winter are in the $200-300/nt range

And, no games on awards. It's available every day I checked (including XMas, New Years, Presidents & MLK, Spring Break). Every day is 2+ cpp, on peak dates you could pretty easily get 3+ cpp.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
I don't think you should ever pay this hotel in cash. There's an 18% resort fee.

For a Cat 3, this seems like a great deal. From the email above, it looks like they might shift it to Cat 4 eventually. Hopefully this stays at Cat 3, I'm considering a stay for next year.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by cvseuy
I don't think you should ever pay this hotel in cash. There's an 18% resort fee.
For a Cat 3, this seems like a great deal. From the email above, it looks like they might shift it to Cat 4 eventually. Hopefully this stays at Cat 3, I'm considering a stay for next year.
Because it's classified as a resort fee, it should be waived for Globalist. But even absent that, I concur that anyone with Chase/Hyatt points should pretty much always use the points.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:45 pm

I just saw this resort today I was looking on the map and then it popped up in the list. This seems like a steal at 12k points. I wonder if I can book it now for next year just in case it goes up. I am also wondering about the swimmable beach comment.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Anybody stay here yet? I see a few google reviews but nothing on the forum. I'm curious about the beach and if its swimmable as well. Thinking of booking for mid Oct. fingers crossed on the whole hurricane thing!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12K nights seem to be available throughout peak season, despite the very high room rates. I can confirm there's a lounge with hot breakfast and evening snacks. Oddly -- for Puerto Rico -- there's no booze in the lounge (paid or unpaid).

Seems like a steal at this price. I like the area, as it's near SJU but feels almost rural, with the rainforest and other attractions near by.

Who will be the first flyertalker to check it out? I think I might make it in December.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I'm interested in the resort for family trips, but notations of no swimable beach likely would make it a no-go for us. Hauling the kids away from the resort to get to a usable beach typically is not worth the hassle unless the pool complex is spectacular (e.g., Coconut Point in Florida).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.