Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Have a booking there for a few days around New Year - looking at new pictures posted on Hyatt's site, they cleared out a nice sandy beach area, but seems there's still lots of seagrass. Even with that, an absolute steal as a current cat 3 (same as a crummy HP in San Juan). Will report back.
59Impala likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:26 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Has anybody stayed here yet? How are the on-property dining options? Extensive enough to cater to a family with young kids (1 and 5) for 4 nights? I will be there with my family and my brother's family at the end of December, and would like to figure out ahead of time whether we will need to figure out transport with several young children to off-property restaurants or not.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
Has anybody stayed here yet? How are the on-property dining options? Extensive enough to cater to a family with young kids (1 and 5) for 4 nights? I will be there with my family and my brother's family at the end of December, and would like to figure out ahead of time whether we will need to figure out transport with several young children to off-property restaurants or not.
I'm not going until Feb, but having a tough time getting good/recent data. I had planned on the Club lounge fortifying a lot of the food, but doesn't really sound like that's the case. I hope the other food is good, because it looks like anything else is 15+ min away by car.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You will probably beat me to it - my stay is not until the very end of December - early January. As I had mentioned earlier, I stayed at this property when it was a Melia, and the food offerings were limited and expensive. The resort is at the end of the road in a private development, and you will definitely want a car if staying there, especially if it's more than a couple nights.
hp12c likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:21 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

I suppose I'll be the first FTer to provide a report then! I wasn't planning on renting cars given that we're going to be 10 people in total (including the 4 young kids), but may need to rethink that...
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Im have a short stay here in a couple of days. Our family has 3 kids and are excited to see what the area has to offer. If theres any specific info people are looking for, Id be happy to try to find out. We are staying on points without Hyatt status.
hp12c likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:36 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Im have a short stay here in a couple of days. Our family has 3 kids and are excited to see what the area has to offer. If theres any specific info people are looking for, Id be happy to try to find out. We are staying on points without Hyatt status.
Excellent! Id love your thoughts on necessity of a car vs. relying on taxis/car service. Given sch_flyers experience when it was a Melia, would be great to know whether theres enough variety and quality of food to keep us on property now that its a Hyatt. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent! Id love your thoughts on necessity of a car vs. relying on taxis/car service. Given sch_flyers experience when it was a Melia, would be great to know whether theres enough variety and quality of food to keep us on property now that its a Hyatt. Thanks!
I'm staying at the hotel later this winter, but I've stayed at the nearby Wyndham before. I would say that, for most people, it would be foolish not to rent a car. The taxi/uber fare from the airport would be high (it's far from San Juan) and then you'll be "stuck" at the hotel. Not only won't you easily be able to sightsee (you'd have to take expensive tours), but you'll have to pay the high hotel prices for all your food and miss a lot of the interesting (and affordable) local dining scene. I do see the hotel is charging a typical "gotcha" parking fee of $15, simply because they can.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
We typically do a week-long vacation with kids 5, 7, and 7, and four adults. Specific information that would be great to know.

How is the pool (or pools)? Anything special (e.g., slides, diving boards) that might be of interest to the kids?
If renting a car, what are food options that are very nearby (e.g., less than 15 minutes) or a little further away (e.g., 30 minutes)?
How is the beach at the hotel? Rocky, seagrass, swim-able?
Are there other (better) beaches nearby (close enough to walk) or within 30 minutes driving?
We typically do a 7-night trip. Would this location be enough to keep folks entertained that long (given a day-trip or two away from the hotel)?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
We typically do a week-long vacation with kids 5, 7, and 7, and four adults. Specific information that would be great to know.

How is the pool (or pools)? Anything special (e.g., slides, diving boards) that might be of interest to the kids?
If renting a car, what are food options that are very nearby (e.g., less than 15 minutes) or a little further away (e.g., 30 minutes)?
Are there other (better) beaches nearby (close enough to walk) or within 30 minutes driving?
We typically do a 7-night trip. Would this location be enough to keep folks entertained that long (given a day-trip or two away from the hotel)?
Although I am only familiar with the nearby Wyndham property, I don't think you will find a better beach nearby. As far as food options go, there are hundreds, particularly in the nearby beach town of Luquillo. I will say that a good percentage of the Americans who visit these resorts are uncomfortable with the local Puerto Rican dining scene because they think it's "third world." I find that ridiculous, but then I've travelled extensively throughout Latin America, and most Americans who stay at these resorts have not. Personally, I think the local food tends to be more interesting, and probably less than half the cost of eating at the hotel.

I think one week at the hotel is too long unless your primary purpose is to just relax and get some sun with a drink in your hand.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:45 am

We are currently staying 3 nights, and if staying any longer, I think a car would be a necessity. There are 2 restaurants now. 1 seems to be open breakfast, lunch and dinner (with standard fare) and a steakhouse open for dinner only. There is an Avis desk here, but I havent seen anyone staffing it yet. The resort is still under construction..Im typing this from the lounge right now and they are redoing the recently completed bar. Id plan to rent a car at least a day or two for stays longer than 3 days. If not installing/reinstalling car seats, Id just rely on taxis/Uber.
hp12c likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant

This is our 3rd time visiting PR, and first time at this resort. Usually we stay at the Conquistador but its not fully re-opened since Maria. The pool is what drew us to book here (and secondly, Hyatt award availability.) The main pool is really nice. With plenty of different areas, complimentary cabanas, and a nice view of the ocean, the pool is really the highlight in my opinion. The cabanas by the kids pool are the best IMO; you can look out at the ocean as well as the main pool, and are away from the activity/loud music by the pool equipment hut. There are lots of complimentary pool toys as well. There isnt a diving board. There are 2 smallish kids pools, which would be better if there was a splash pad area. Also, theres a covered playground area that looks to be the future area for the kids club (not available yet.)
There is a separate pool for the club guests, but we spent our time at the main pool. Its deeper, much, much smaller and there were no attendants. It would be good for a quick swim in the morning before the kids wake up.
We opted for the club level ($75/nt) at check in. The breakfast has a couple of hot items (eggs, corn-meal dish) but not bacon, or sausage. No made to order eggs/omelets. There are light snacks/drinks for the rest of the day, until the evening when there are hors d'oeuvre. No alcohol is available in the club. I typically eat once a day, and the breakfast was sufficient to do that for several days. Longer than that, however, I definitely would want something more substantial/more choices.
We didnt rent a car, but would have if we were staying longer. Im happy to pass along the contact info of the local driver we found who was very reasonable and reliable.
The beach around the hotel is definitely swimmable. Also looked clan and without much sea grass. Most areas do have some large rocks at the waters edge, but the water is calm and shallow enough for kids to play. Plan on using insect repellant though..my wife and my youngest got bitten up in the 10 min they were there prior to applying. After that it was fine though. I think 7 days might be too long for our family with kids ages 2, 5 and 7. If older or in a large group, it could work. Id want a car/plan to go off resort a fair amount for that amount of time though. Maybe a couple of day trips as well.
sch_flyer likes this.

Last edited by NeGourmand; Dec 1, 2019 at 11:23 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
This is our 3rd time visiting PR, and first time at this resort. Usually we stay at the Conquistador but its not fully re-opened since Maria. The pool is what drew us to book here (and secondly, Hyatt award availability.) The main pool is really nice. With plenty of different areas, complimentary cabanas, and a nice view of the ocean, the pool is really the highlight in my opinion. The cabanas by the kids pool are the best IMO; you can look out at the ocean as well as the main pool, and are away from the activity/loud music by the pool equipment hut. There are lots of complimentary pool toys as well. There isnt a diving board. There are 2 smallish kids pools, which would be better if there was a splash pad area. Also, theres a covered playground area that looks to be the future area for the kids club (not available yet.)
There is a separate pool for the club guests, but we spent our time at the main pool. Its deeper, much, much smaller and there were no attendants. It would be good for a quick swim in the morning before the kids wake up.
We opted for the club level ($75/nt) at check in. The breakfast has a couple of hot items (eggs, corn-meal dish) but not bacon, or sausage. No made to order eggs/omelets. There are light snacks/drinks for the rest of the day, until the evening when there are hors d'oeuvre. No alcohol is available in the club. I typically eat once a day, and the breakfast was sufficient to do that for several days. Longer than that, however, I definitely would want something more substantial/more choices.
We didnt rent a car, but would have if we were staying longer. Im happy to pass along the contact info of the local driver we found who was very reasonable and reliable.
The beach around the hotel is definitely swimmable. Also looked clan and without much sea grass. Most areas do have some large rocks at the waters edge, but the water is calm and shallow enough for kids to play. Plan on using insect repellant though..my wife and my youngest got bitten up in the 10 min they were there prior to applying. After that it was fine though. I think 7 days might be too long for our family with kids ages 2, 5 and 7. If older or in a large group, it could work. Id want a car/plan to go off resort a fair amount for that amount of time though. Maybe a couple of day trips as well.
That's a shame about the paltry lounge offerings. I had heard about the no-booze thing -- which seemed odd for Puerto Rico -- but it's sadder that the breakfast is bad. I've generally had great breakfasts at Hyatt lounges around the world (or been allowed to eat at the main hotel breakfast buffet). I guess we'll eat a little of the bad breakfast and later have some lunch (which we usually pass on if we have a good hotel breakfast).
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
That's a shame about the paltry lounge offerings. I had heard about the no-booze thing -- which seemed odd for Puerto Rico -- but it's sadder that the breakfast is bad. I've generally had great breakfasts at Hyatt lounges around the world (or been allowed to eat at the main hotel breakfast buffet). I guess we'll eat a little of the bad breakfast and later have some lunch (which we usually pass on if we have a good hotel breakfast).
For what it's worth, there's a little local cafe/bakery (Coco Cafe) at the main highway junction when leaving the resort peninsula - very inexpensive and tasty if getting tired of the resort breakfast, or want a (very) casual lunch. Still would need a car to get to it - it's about 3 miles from the main road to the resort.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Think anything will change to lounge when officially changed over to Hyatt (end of year??) vs affiliated with Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.