Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Hotel now integrated in WOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Hotel now integrated in WOH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
So both the Hyatt rep and supervisor are wrong? That would be particularly sad.

Nope I've now HUCA twice more. Same story. So much for the wonderful additions to WoH that aren't really.
Wondering aloud: "Why is it so painfully hard for people to read the World of Hyatt TERMS AND CONDITIONS?"
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Wondering aloud: "Why is it so painfully hard for people to read the World of Hyatt TERMS AND CONDITIONS?"
The funny thing is I did review them--but it clearly was an outdated version before Thompson was added.

The sad thing is that there are so many exemptions in the Suite Ineligible Awards that WoH is shown to be not quite the illustrious purveyor of elite awards as it pretends.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
The funny thing is I did review them--but it clearly was an outdated version before Thompson was added.

The sad thing is that there are so many exemptions in the Suite Ineligible Awards that WoH is shown to be not quite the illustrious purveyor of elite awards as it pretends.
My guess is that of the luxury properties in the Hyatt and Marriott portfolios, a higher percentage of hotels eligible for suite upgrades (either via TSU, points, or SNAs) are excluded from the latter, given no RC or EDITION properties qualify. I gotta say, it seems like you’re picking a fight for no real reason, given that Marriotts program has no consistent way to upgrade with points, with the exception of one-off properties (offering whatever they’d like to).
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
My guess is that of the luxury properties in the Hyatt and Marriott portfolios, a higher percentage of hotels eligible for suite upgrades (either via TSU, points, or SNAs) are excluded from the latter, given no RC or EDITION properties qualify. I gotta say, it seems like you’re picking a fight for no real reason, given that Marriotts program has no consistent way to upgrade with points, with the exception of one-off properties (offering whatever they’d like to).
I don't think that's true...as there are far more StR, Lux Coll, and W hotels than even the limited PH and Andaz options. (Not to mention that Titanium and Ambassador elites also qualify for suite upgrades at RC and Edition hotels.)

In this case for Seattle, is a very rare location where the Hyatt option Thompson may actually be among the best in town. So I tried to book it. And yet I wasn't able to secure a suite due to the exception to WoH terms. Sadly, the same is true for the rare other locations where the Hyatt option is actually among the best in town (the PH Sydney and Andaz Tokyo immediately come to mind).

Not picking a fight at all. I actually was willing to go outside the Bonvoy portfolio for a good reason. The Thompson Seattle is an excellent hotel and certainly among the best in town. Yet WoH exempts it from several of the better perks of the program. Not only can I not use points to book a suite as WoH normally allows, but I also cannot use points to upgrade a paid booking to a suite as WoH normally allows.

Every time now that I've tried to explore WoH at the best hotels, it lets me down pretty consistently in that regard.

I still can use Chase URs to pay for a suite at the Thompson (or Four Seasons), so it's not like I cannot stay at the Thompson on points. But WoH again didn't help me in any way despite the Thompson being "full participating" in WoH.

WoH keeps failing me for benefits at the properties that most interest me even in the more limited Hyatt luxury portfolio. That's the problem.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:30 pm

I don't think that's true...as there are far more StR, Lux Coll, and W hotels than even the limited PH and Andaz options. (Not to mention that Titanium and Ambassador elites also qualify for suite upgrades at RC and Edition hotels.)

In this case for Seattle, is a very rare location where the Hyatt option Thompson may actually be among the best in town. So I tried to book it. And yet I wasn't able to secure a suite due to the exception to WoH terms. Sadly, the same is true for the rare other locations where the Hyatt option is actually among the best in town (the PH Sydney and Andaz Tokyo immediately come to mind).

Not picking a fight at all. I actually was willing to go outside the Bonvoy portfolio for a good reason. The Thompson Seattle is an excellent hotel and certainly among the best in town. Yet WoH exempts it from several of the better perks of the program. Not only can I not use points to book a suite as WoH normally allows, but I also cannot use points to upgrade a paid booking to a suite as WoH normally allows.

Every time now that I've tried to explore WoH at the best hotels, it lets me down pretty consistently in that regard.

I still can use Chase URs to pay for a suite at the Thompson (or Four Seasons), so it's not like I cannot stay at the Thompson on points. But WoH again didn't help me in any way despite the Thompson being "full participating" in WoH.

WoH keeps failing me for benefits at the properties that most interest me even in the more limited Hyatt luxury portfolio. That's the problem.
God you are SO right! Please tell everybody, post on social media, and if you already done so... start a blog.

The more people who think as you do, the less competition I’ll have for the (crappy) Hyatt benefits I (hate) to enjoy....

Bonvoy-age!!!

UA-NYC and 59Impala like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
God you are SO right! Please tell everybody, post on social media, and if you already done so... start a blog.

The more people who think as you do, the less competition I’ll have for the (crappy) Hyatt benefits I (hate) to enjoy....
Hyatt benefits aren't crappy. Hyatt benefits can be quite nice--when and where they're fully offered, of course. And if and when you can find properties you like that actually offer them.

At the top of the Hyatt portfolio, too many hotels don't fully offer WoH benefits.

And call me crazy, but this is a social media blog.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Happily enjoying my free parking, no resort fee, full breakfast Hyatt award this weekend (that will also return 10%)!!! Couldn't enjoy that w/Bonvoyyyyyyyyyyy.

Because Hyatt benefits >>>>> Marriott benefits.

And let's not go there w/ program exceptions and inconsistencies...Marriott is now the king of them.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Happily enjoying my free parking, no resort fee, full breakfast Hyatt award this weekend (that will also return 10%)!!! Couldn't enjoy that w/Bonvoyyyyyyyyyyy.

Because Hyatt benefits >>>>> Marriott benefits.

And let's not go there w/ program exceptions and inconsistencies...Marriott is now the king of them.
This was a another perfect example for Hyatt and WoH to showcase a better opportunity for a Bonoy elite. Yet it failed me again. There just aren't that many locations where the best hotel options include a Hyatt and not a Bonvoy. (And there is the W Seattle, too.) OTOH, there are tons of locations where the best hotel options include a Bonvoy and not a Hyatt. Nice try but no one is buying.

Hyatt benefits are more consistently better than Bonvoy benefits, that is true and conceded. But Hyatt benefits compare quite favorably with Bonvoy benefits at the premium and luxury hotel options. Of course, Hyatt benefits aren't much use when there isn't a good Hyatt option in the first place--as is true in way too many locations.

And yet I was more than willing to forego benefits just to book at a very nice hotel--the Thompson. And yet WoH still failed me there.

Better benefits don't help much when there isn't a hotel in the first place. Or in the case of the Thompson Seattle, when it doesn't fully participate anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
Hyatt benefits aren't crappy. Hyatt benefits can be quite nice--when and where they're fully offered, of course. And if and when you can find properties you like that actually offer them.

At the top of the Hyatt portfolio, too many hotels don't fully offer WoH benefits.

And call me crazy, but this is a social media blog.
Specifically what hotels don't fully offer WOH benefits?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coggie
Specifically what hotels don't fully offer WOH benefits?
For me, it's all about the suite upgrade/suite awards and the top properties. There are way too many exceptions at many of the only truly world class/best in location hotels in the entire portfolio.

In this case, the Thompson Seattle is exempt. In previous cases, the PH Sydney and Andaz Tokyo were exempt. There aren't many Hyatt hotel that are the best in town, and those are right at the top of the list.

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...erms.html#/IIB

No Suite Free Night Award is valid at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills, Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Paris Madeleine, Hyatt Herald Square New York, Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt City of Dreams Manila, Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami, Spirit Ridge at NK’MIP Resort, Hyatt Rosemont, Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest, Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville, Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach, Thompson Seattle, Chicago Athletic Association, The Talbott, Hotel Revival Baltimore, Hotel Avatar, Hotel del Sol, Waterfront Hotel, Park South, The Laurel Inn, Hotel Kabuki, 50 Bowery, Alila Manggis, Studios at Alila Sminyak, Alila Villas Uluwatu, or Hyatt Place hotels. (These properties are referred to collectively in these Terms as the “Suite Award Ineligible Properties.”) In addition, Suite Free Night Awards for Premium Suites are not valid at Hyatt Residence Club, Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotels and resorts or at any hotel and resort that does not have Premium Suites (even if such hotel or resort has Specialty, Premier, Presidential or Diplomatic Suite or similar suite categories).
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:19 am
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
For me, it's all about the suite upgrade/suite awards and the top properties. There are way too many exceptions at many of the only truly world class/best in location hotels in the entire portfolio.

In this case, the Thompson Seattle is exempt. In previous cases, the PH Sydney and Andaz Tokyo were exempt. There aren't many Hyatt hotel that are the best in town, and those are right at the top of the list.

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...erms.html#/IIB
it sounds to me that you are saying, the hotels are not participating in the TSU program because they are „top of the list“. I doubt that, but can only comment on a few hotels because I have stayed there.
Key West and South Beach Centrics do not have suites. The Atlanta Suites is all-suite... so there is no room a TSU can be applied to. There may be more hotels, too. And yes some are out of scope for other reasons like Maldives, Andaz Tokyo.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala

it sounds to me that you are saying, the hotels are not participating in the TSU program because they are „top of the list“. I doubt that, but can only comment on a few hotels because I have stayed there.
Key West and South Beach Centrics do not have suites. The Atlanta Suites is all-suite... so there is no room a TSU can be applied to. There may be more hotels, too. And yes some are out of scope for other reasons like Maldives, Andaz Tokyo.
Others, like Herald Square have exactly ONE suite... or the only suites they have are definitely of the “premium” variety. Nevertheless, in my experience these properties still upgrade Globslists on arrival.

Regardless, the vast vast majority of full
service Hyatt hotels accept and honor TSUs, and Hyatt remains the only major chain to allow pre-reserved, guaranteed upgrades.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I could care less about the no-suite or all-suite properties. I care only about the best aspirational properties. You call them "out of scope" for some reason?

While you care more about TSUs, I care more about upgrades via points and suites via points. And I also care about the best "out of scope" properties that are among the best in the portfolio but not available for those suite benefits.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:38 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

Hyatt lets you upgrade to suites at booking. And use points for premium suites. Marriott doesn't have that at all, so it's kind of a moot point. In general, the standard suite upgrade benefit for Hyatt beats Marriott. TSU > SNAs, and you can get far more nights upgraded in theory. There are exclusions to TSUs, but there are far more Marriott hotels playing BS games where they just put a bunch of random rooms and no suites into the SNA pool. Which is pathetic.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by helvetic
Hyatt lets you upgrade to suites at booking. And use points for premium suites. Marriott doesn't have that at all, so it's kind of a moot point. In general, the standard suite upgrade benefit for Hyatt beats Marriott. TSU > SNAs, and you can get far more nights upgraded in theory. There are exclusions to TSUs, but there are far more Marriott hotels playing BS games where they just put a bunch of random rooms and no suites into the SNA pool. Which is pathetic.
Hyatt doesn’t let you upgrade at all at the Thomson Seattle. Hence the issue, It is listed as a suite ineligible property.

There are far fewer exclusions to getting suite upgrades with Bonvoy, particularly at the nicest properties.

You’re right that there are more Bonvoy hotels playing BS games with suite upgrades than at Hyatt—but only because Marriott has so many more hotels in the first place. Overall and proportionally, not so much.

In any case, it’s very disappointing that even this rare exception where I’d be interested in a Hyatt property doesn’t allow the same perks.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 25, 2019 at 6:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.