Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Hotel now integrated in WOH

Thompson Hotel now integrated in WOH

Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
There are far fewer exclusions to getting suite upgrades with Bonvoy, particularly at the nicest properties.
Two words: Ritz-Carlton :-:
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Two words: Ritz-Carlton :-:
Bad info, I'm afraid. RCs aren't excluded for suite upgrades for Titaniums and Ambassadors. And for Ambassadors, it's just as common to be pre-upgraded well before arrival. As evidenced by the pre-arrival suite upgrades I've had at the RCs in Kyoto, Georgetown, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay, Boston, Chicago, Coconut Grove, and Dallas. All of those except Kyoto are since February 2019, mind you.

Like I said, Seattle offered a rare opportunity for a Hyatt property to match what I normally can get with Bonvoy--in a city where Bonvoy doesn't have a clear 5* option. But it can't.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bad info, I'm afraid. RCs aren't excluded for suite upgrades for Titaniums and Ambassadors. And for Ambassadors, it's just as common to be pre-upgraded well before arrival. As evidenced by the pre-arrival suite upgrades I've had at the RCs in Kyoto, Georgetown, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay, Boston, Chicago, Coconut Grove, and Dallas. All of those except Kyoto are since February 2019, mind you.
You don't seem to know the program that well - they are excluded from SNAs (as is Edition, with a smaller footprint). And SNAs are the main avenue to get into suites with the Marriott program.

Sure, suites are *technically* allowed on a complimentary basis at check-in, but unsurprisingly, plenty of examples of RCs playing games in the Marriott forum. This shouldn't be surprising - this is Marriott. They don't have a history of upgrade generosity.

I can't say it in the Marriott forum, but I can here - good for you, you have an outlier Ambassador experience. But it in no way represents the Ambassador experience of the masses. Your confirmation bias (to now use your overused phrase) is showing here. Your ability to direct revenue to Marriott on behalf of your business does not make you anything approaching a normal Ambassador guest. And thus is a likely reason for all your pre-upgrades.

So enjoy what you get with the service, but seriously, stop the never-ending pretending you are representative of the program as a whole.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You don't seem to know the program that well - they are excluded from SNAs (as is Edition, with a smaller footprint). And SNAs are the main avenue to get into suites with the Marriott program.
I didn't refer to SNAs. Those upgrade to suites only up to 5 days prior arrival. All of my mentioned pre-upgrades to suites were well before the 5 day window. That makes those examples of Ambassador pre-upgraded suites far more valuable, actually.

Sure, suites are *technically* allowed on a complimentary basis at check-in, but unsurprisingly, plenty of examples of RCs playing games in the Marriott forum. This shouldn't be surprising - this is Marriott. They don't have a history of upgrade generosity.
There are 100+ RC that participate and one (Singapore) that does not. There are 8 Thompsons that participate in WofH but one of them only "techincally" does. Not quite comparable, I think?

RC didn't have a history of upgrades because that wasn't part of its RC loyalty program. Now that RC participates in Bonvoy, which began in February 2019 and largely mimics SPG, RC now have quite a demonstrated history of providing suite upgrades. Perhaps it is you that doesn't know or understand the Bonvoy program well?

I offered my own experience of suite pre-upgrades at 7 different RC properties alone since February 2019. You seem to have ignored that evidence when it doesn't suit. #confirmationbias

The RC threads and our verified Ambassador group on Facebook are replete with examples of RC suite upgrades for many Ambassador elites. I am not alone or special in that regard as you suggest.

The Thompson Seattle does not match that due to the WoH terms and "technicalities". Instead of discussing that failure or the "technicality", you turned to the red herring of Ritz-Carlton. It turns out that was a very red herring, indeed.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:34 pm

just stay w/ Bonvoy, ffs. pity any Hyatt employee that would have to deal w/ ya.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:09 am

I got a suite upgrade at the Thompson Seattle. It was lovely.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
At the Thompson Nashville. Used a TSU to upgrade to the Thompson Suite. Was further upgraded to an executive suite at check-in. Marsh House (the main restaurant) is still closed. But the rooftop is temporarily open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner (normally just open on the weekends).

Globalists and Prive guests can have breakfast in the coffee shop or off of a limited in-room dining menu. At check in, we told the front desk clerk we were heading up to the rooftop for drinks and she proactively gave us two drink coupons.

Overall, very impressed so far, particularly with things being so not normal right now.

dpb132 likes this.

Last edited by bcosinteno; Jul 3, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
At the Thompson Seattle. Used a TSU to upgrade to the Thompson Suite. Was further upgraded to an executive suite at check-in. Marsh House (the main restaurant) is still closed. But the rooftop is temporarily open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner (normally just open on the weekends).

Globalists and Prive guests can have breakfast in the coffee shop or off of a limited in-room dining menu. At check in, we told the front desk clerk we were heading up to the rooftop for drinks and she proactively gave us two drink coupons.

Overall, very impressed so far, particularly with things being so not normal right now.

Very nice upgrade and sounds like an enjoyable stay.

Last edited by Matt4200; Jul 3, 2020 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:34 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
At the Thompson Seattle. Used a TSU to upgrade to the Thompson Suite. Was further upgraded to an executive suite at check-in. Marsh House (the main restaurant) is still closed. But the rooftop is temporarily open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner (normally just open on the weekends).

Correct property ? Sounds like Nashville to me ...
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Very nice upgrade and sounds like an enjoyable stay. Ive been looking at properties in Seattle and they seem nice I was comparing a stay between Thompson and Motif, Thompson does seem to be better of the two.

txhyattlvr This property is also listed as a Suite Ineligible Property per Hyatts T&C you might want to say something about how OP is abusing the program getting things they arent supposed to receive by applying a TSU.

No Suite Upgrade Award is valid at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills, Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Paris Madeleine, Hyatt Herald Square New York, Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, Hyatt City of Dreams Manila, Hyatt Centric South Beach Miami, Spirit Ridge at NKMIP Resort, Hyatt Rosemont, Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest, Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville, Hyatt Regency John Wayne Airport Newport Beach, Thompson Seattle, Chicago Athletic Association, The Talbott, Hotel Revival Baltimore, Hotel Avatar, Hotel del Sol, Waterfront Hotel, Park South, The Laurel Inn, Hotel Kabuki, 50 Bowery, Alila Manggis, Studios at Alila Sminyak, Alila Villas Uluwatu, or Destination Residences or Hyatt Place hotels or resorts. (These properties are referred to collectively in these Terms as the Suite Award Ineligible Properties.)

Something also interesting to note is it appears a majority of the listed Suite Award Ineligible Properties are participating in the Hyatt Prive program. Whether theres a connection or not who knows, just an observation.
Im staying at the Thompson Nashville, not Seattle. Sorry it was a long day yesterday.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:36 am

These have all been mentioned in other posts, but Hyatt officially announced the new Thompson Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Buckhead and Savannah this morning.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123970
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I have yet to stay at a Thompson, but I’ve loved their mid-century modern aesthetic and the relaxed nature of its lifestyle brand positioning, I’d like to see Hyatt start rolling them out beyond the US, though - aside from their four properties in Mexico, they’re entirely US-based. Alila is entering Europe in 2023 - why can’t Thompson go into the rest of the world?

khabah
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:42 am

I'm surprised they didn't mention Denver, Detroit, Charleston and Miami Beach. Together with Hollywood and 6 hotels in that announcement, there're 11 Thompson hotels in the pipeline, exactly like in this report: https://tophotel.news/covid19-hotel-...n-infographic/

It seems that Hyatt hasn't found partners to bring Thompson outside of the US.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
I'm surprised they didn't mention Denver, Detroit, Charleston and Miami Beach. Together with Hollywood and 6 hotels in that announcement, there're 11 Thompson hotels in the pipeline, exactly like in this report: https://tophotel.news/covid19-hotel-...n-infographic/

It seems that Hyatt hasn't found partners to bring Thompson outside of the US.

Isnt there Thompson properties in Mexico?

Personally, never stayed at one and the ones in Mexico wouldnt be my first. However, the US properties do look to be nice. Though for some reason Hyatt prices them much higher than competitors.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Isnt there Thompson properties in Mexico?

Personally, never stayed at one and the ones in Mexico wouldnt be my first. However, the US properties do look to be nice. Though for some reason Hyatt prices them much higher than competitors.
I mean in the development pipeline, all 11 future Thompson hotels are in the US.

​​​​​​​On Hyatt development page, Thompson's fact sheet says that their competitors are Editon, NoMad, 1 Hotels and Rosewood, which is a bit confusing because Thompson is positioned lower than Andaz in Hyatt's hierachy and those are normally Andaz's competitors, especially in case of Rosewood - that's Park Hyatt level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.