Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
This wasn't a surprise and never expected to see Globalists getting access to them.
Exactly.

I'd rather have the restaurant breakfast anyway. So long as this property continues with the solid Globalist treatment, not really an issue from my perspective.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
One note of kudos to the Thompson - the hotel I was supposed to stay at tonight was an unmitigated disaster (I'll post about it in the respective thread once I get resolution). As a result, I had to same-day book another option. I ended up with the Thompson as a safe choice. I made my reservation at 1 PM and noticed by 1:10 PM that my reservation was upgraded to a Studio Suite. I arrived at 1:30, and a Studio Suite on the top floor (22) was waiting for me. This one even has a bar - finally an actual spot for room service!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
One note of kudos to the Thompson - the hotel I was supposed to stay at tonight was an unmitigated disaster (I'll post about it in the respective thread once I get resolution). As a result, I had to same-day book another option. I ended up with the Thompson as a safe choice. I made my reservation at 1 PM and noticed by 1:10 PM that my reservation was upgraded to a Studio Suite. I arrived at 1:30, and a Studio Suite on the top floor (22) was waiting for me. This one even has a bar - finally an actual spot for room service!
The unmitigated disasters are the funnest reads on FlyerTalk - worst to live and work through but fun for the rest of us.

Hope the Thompson works out. And to hear about the unmitigated disaster.

David

p.s. Don't forget to photo and post here.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
The unmitigated disasters are the funnest reads on FlyerTalk - worst to live and work through but fun for the rest of us.

Hope the Thompson works out. And to hear about the unmitigated disaster.

David

p.s. Don't forget to photo and post here.
I had to get two of my pillow cases switched out, but luckily, the duvet cover was on much straighter than my last photo.

Some other brief updates: the 57th Street entrance is now open. The lobby restaurant is called Parker's - don't tell SPG. The Upper Stories is not open and the entrance to what I assume is the other elevator bank is blocked off with doors next to the restaurant that say "More Thompson coming soon." The 3rd floor (at least by the low-rise elevators) is still a major construction zone, albeit a brighter one. Perhaps the lounge will be in a different part that is more complete?

Duvet cover evidence:

SP03 and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:42 pm

I had to get two of my pillow cases switched out, but luckily, the duvet cover was on much straighter than my last photo.

Some other brief updates: the 57th Street entrance is now open. The lobby restaurant is called Parker's - don't tell SPG. The Upper Stories is not open and the entrance to what I assume is the other elevator bank is blocked off with doors next to the restaurant that say "More Thompson coming soon." The 3rd floor (at least by the low-rise elevators) is still a major construction zone, albeit a brighter one. Perhaps the lounge will be in a different part that is more complete?

Duvet cover evidence:

So, final thoughts after my third stay here (plus photos):
  • Bed is still very comfortable - plush covers and great pillows
  • Climate control works very well to cool the room (this was an issue at the hotel I was supposed to stay at - bet some of y'all can guess)
  • Shower still has great pressure
  • Cleanliness issue on two pillow cases taken care of while I was gone - called down, but couldn't hear the Guest Services rep - asked at front desk, and it was resolved
  • Front desk here continues to be very friendly - this time, I interacted mostly with Destiny, but saw John as I walked out of the elevator this morning (we smiled and waved)
  • Noise not really an issue in the Studio Suites
  • I was told Globalist breakfast still has room service as an option
  • Menu at Parker's is more limited than room service menu
  • No drip coffee at Parker's - just single serve lattes, mochas, Americanos, etc.
  • Breakfast sandwich was delicious - only critique is that the brioche bun could have been softer
  • Both mocha and latte were delicious
  • Breakfast bill taken care of with no issue - note 20% service charge placed on all checks
I would absolutely continue to return.

Coathanger and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:50 pm

So, final thoughts after my third stay here (plus photos):
  • Bed is still very comfortable - plush covers and great pillows
  • Climate control works very well to cool the room (this was an issue at the hotel I was supposed to stay at - bet some of y'all can guess)
  • Shower still has great pressure
  • Cleanliness issue on two pillow cases taken care of while I was gone - called down, but couldn't hear the Guest Services rep - asked at front desk, and it was resolved
  • Front desk here continues to be very friendly - this time, I interacted mostly with Destiny, but saw John as I walked out of the elevator this morning (we smiled and waved)
  • Noise not really an issue in the Studio Suites
  • I was told Globalist breakfast still has room service as an option
  • Menu at Parker's is more limited than room service menu
  • No drip coffee at Parker's - just single serve lattes, mochas, Americanos, etc.
  • Breakfast sandwich was delicious - only critique is that the brioche bun could have been softer
  • Both mocha and latte were delicious
  • Breakfast bill taken care of with no issue - note 20% service charge placed on all checks
I would absolutely continue to return.

you had issues with HVAC at PH? Yikes....
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jbandy10
you had issues with HVAC at PH? Yikes....
It was a Hyatt, but thankfully for them, not the Park :-) I'll be sure to post about it in the respective forum, but I'm waiting for my response from Corporate (HVAC was not the only issue).

Luckily, the HVAC at the Thompson with those window units was working very well! Almost got too cold!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It was a Hyatt, but thankfully for them, not the Park :-) I'll be sure to post about it in the respective forum, but I'm waiting for my response from Corporate (HVAC was not the only issue).

Luckily, the HVAC at the Thompson with those window units was working very well! Almost got too cold!
The only HVAC problems I've had at a NYC Hyatt was 50 Bowery. But they were fixed as of a few weeks ago when I last stayed there.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
The only HVAC problems I've had at a NYC Hyatt was 50 Bowery. But they were fixed as of a few weeks ago when I last stayed there.
Whew. that would be...bad.
I have a 2 night, 2 room booking for both the Thompson and PH in two weeks. My partner and I plus her mother in another room. Going to cancel one of them at some point. I'm assuming we will be given complimentary suites at Thompson. 21K rate for Thompson and 35K PH.

I may email PH ahead of the check in and inquire about a modest Globe upgrade. If they stonewall me, I'll very likely swap to Thompson.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have a 2 night, 2 room booking for both the Thompson and PH in two weeks. My partner and I plus her mother in another room. Going to cancel one of them at some point. I'm assuming we will be given complimentary suites at Thompson. 21K rate for Thompson and 35K PH.

I may email PH ahead of the check in and inquire about a modest Globe upgrade. If they stonewall me, I'll very likely swap to Thompson.
You'll get the typical "subject to availability at check in" response unless it's within a day or so of your check in date.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:07 pm

As for suites at the Thompson, unless something unexpected happens and Upper Stories opens and is eligible for upgrades (I doubt the latter), the suite you see in my photos is the best you'll get. I've had 2 upgrades to a Studio Suite and 1 to just a King Deluxe. The King Deluxe maintains the large sofa, so the biggest advantage of the Studio Suite is the larger bathroom and larger shower with more room to prevent water from splashing out of the half-glass.
Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
You'll get the typical "subject to availability at check in" response unless it's within a day or so of your check in date.
sounds about right. May just have to gamble.
I have to say, if I'm going to cheat on the PH, the time seems to be now, with the Thompson. It looks quite nice, per your photos. Though i will miss the heated floors, shower and tub in the PH. Hard product there is just so so good.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
"We want (an upside down) shrubbery!"

David
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Too bad about not upgrading beyond studio suite. That only works if I’m solo, as my wife goes too bed early and I don’t.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Too bad about not upgrading beyond studio suite. That only works if I’m solo, as my wife goes too bed early and I don’t.
The base Thompson as it exists today only has Studio Suites as their largest option - if we want to be optimistic, perhaps the Upper Stories will allow for some further upgrades? The staff and management have been very nice so far - perhaps that will continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.