Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Miraval Arizona REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miraval Arizona REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
is anyone actually able to call to book? i just keep on getting put on hold for 30 minutes and then reach voicemail. nobody calls me back.
It took me 4 days of experiencing the same as you. I did leave a message each time. I finally got a call back on the 4th day and I was able to book on the phone. Interestingly, the call was from their Austin location but she was able to book me into the AZ property. I would still keep trying first thing in the morning and keep leaving messages. Best of luck!!
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Checked in today for a return visit about 3 years after starting this entire thread off. I see little has changed. Room wasn't quite ready, so went to lunch. At check in, got no bag or water bottle or map or any paperwork. After lunch, checked back and got key, but no stuff again. Didn't think about it until I went to room and realized, hey where is the map, meal time info, water bottle etc. Had to call and have it brought to room.

In room, book on desk that gives info on property says coffee/smoothie/tea outlet open from 0600 to 1800. Went by at 1510 and it closed at 1500. Checked with front desk and told, yeah that info in room must be old. Ooooo-k.

Suite has severely overgrown crabgrass in about half of the patio rock area, chairs in back have cobwebs. Shower fixture unimpressive. So far, not an auspicious start again. Seriously, when you charge SUPER PREMIUM rates that are well beyond what basic lodging can justify, I expect none of these kind of idiotic issues, even minor ones. Certainly I can forgive stuff, but forgiveness goes down when a hotel is charging rates that easily escalate into 4 figures a night.

We'll see how the rest of the stay goes.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
Checked in today for a return visit about 3 years after starting this entire thread off. I see little has changed. Room wasn't quite ready, so went to lunch. At check in, got no bag or water bottle or map or any paperwork. After lunch, checked back and got key, but no stuff again. Didn't think about it until I went to room and realized, hey where is the map, meal time info, water bottle etc. Had to call and have it brought to room.

In room, book on desk that gives info on property says coffee/smoothie/tea outlet open from 0600 to 1800. Went by at 1510 and it closed at 1500. Checked with front desk and told, yeah that info in room must be old. Ooooo-k.

Suite has severely overgrown crabgrass in about half of the patio rock area, chairs in back have cobwebs. Shower fixture unimpressive. So far, not an auspicious start again. Seriously, when you charge SUPER PREMIUM rates that are well beyond what basic lodging can justify, I expect none of these kind of idiotic issues, even minor ones. Certainly I can forgive stuff, but forgiveness goes down when a hotel is charging rates that easily escalate into 4 figures a night.

We'll see how the rest of the stay goes.
Sounds like par for the course with premium hotel stays these days. Pay double. Get half.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Well finishing up the trip here and I will say, the bright spot has been the food. Aside from the hamburger bun, which was stale at lunch 2 days in a row, the food has been uniformly excellent. Property is still nice and mostly does a nice job of offering it's goal of serenity and desert beauty. Fit and finish not where I expect for a property of this price point, but it is what it is. Overall it was still nice, and I would return probably at a similar point sale like they have done most years but that's about it.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
How many activities?

This will be our first visit. Just how many free activities can one expect to do here on a 2 nights BOGO award stay? 6 weeks out for 4 people requested 40 sessions total and they confirmed just 6 classes. This is just 1.5 class per person for the entire trip! Am I out of the line to think this is unreasonable or should I be lowering my expectation and be happy with what we got?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 168
This will be our first visit. Just how many free activities can one expect to do here on a 2 nights BOGO award stay? 6 weeks out for 4 people requested 40 sessions total and they confirmed just 6 classes. This is just 1.5 class per person for the entire trip! Am I out of the line to think this is unreasonable or should I be lowering my expectation and be happy with what we got?
That's odd. Even when considering limited class/activity sizes, six weeks out should still be sufficient time to get more than 6 out of 40 approved. I'd suggest trying to book your classes/activities online, so that you can quickly see everything that is available and not have to wait for a back-and-forth with a live agent. The booking interface isn't the most sophisticated, but I've found it adequate for my needs.

https://lifeinbalancetucson.miravalresorts.com/
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
The booking interface isn't the most sophisticated, but I've found it adequate for my needs.

Sadly, no improvement. There are plenty fee base sessions available. We did find a class online, but were not able to book in their system. Called and waited another 30 minutes to talk to an agent. She claimed she added us, but it is not showing up in our itineraries. Emailed them twice with screen print on class availability in the past weeks, but no reply.

Is this place really worth all the hype? 6 sessions for the 4 of us worth going (2 nights)? $175 credit doesn’t take you too far and our potential spa bill would get us more service at other hotel spa. How much quality food can we really eat? Scottsdale at fewer points are sounding better and better by the day. The only bright side are the suite upgrade already cleared, to check off this brand and get some data point on how many “waitlisted” sessions they will clear us.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

If you are looking at it like any other hotel stay, albeit just one with some free food, and are not into the whole atmosphere and activity list and environment that Miraval gives, then save your points and go somewhere else because you are going to be unhappy. If you are into that whole thing, then it is not about the hotel stay itself.
Skink likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:33 pm

Has anyone booked through Amex FHR? I assume the $100 property credit is on top of normal resort credits? Any other perks outside of potential upgrade? It says breakfast for 2 but obviously that's already included...
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:07 pm

I booked through Amex FHR last month. The $100 property credit is supposed to be on top of the normal resort credits (I got written confirmation of this when booking through Amex). When I got the receipt on my last day, it showed $100 credit per day each (total) instead of $175 per day each + the $100 additional FHR credit . I asked about it and they said that's what was "in the system". I asked why that was in the system as it wasn't correct. They had no interest in fixing anything. I had to really press and escalate. Eventually, someone said they would change it to $175 even though the "system" showed it should be $100. When I got the updated receipt, it was adjusted to $175 but did not include the additional $100 credit. They got the receipt to me super last minute as our shuttle was leaving and I let it go rather than to continue to spend time on it. But it definitely seemed to me that something was screwed up in the booking system that changed the $100 FHR additional credit to a $100 total daily credit.

Our room category wasn't upgradeable, but we did get early check in and late checkout. (Although our room keys stopped working at noon even though I confirmed with the front desk on our last day that they had the late checkout in place.)
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:16 am

2 nights BOGO stay

Plan your Miraval Journey via online reservation – PAINFUL. Largely due to lack of class availabilities and their availability is not up to date. This link is also hard to find in their normal website.

Via Phone reservation – Lengthy wait each time. A couple times when I try to hit “#” to leave a voicemail, the mailbox is full so I had to wait for a live agent. If you get through, they said they will reply within 24 hours, but I never receive any call back.

Via Email reservation – You talked to different people every time. I responded to their 3 email asking about our flight info and even provided screen print from the previous email. The final agent I talked to 2 days before our arrival still don’t have our correct pick up request.

Class availability – They will tell you it is constantly changing which I agree. It is just frustrating when you see the class is available online and the phone agent tells you it is full. Or, they will tell you what other classes are available which is not listed online.

#1 on the Waitlist – Simply means they know we have the interest, nothing more. When there is a cancellation, you had to be at the right place and right time talking to the right person to grab that spot yourself.

Airport pick up – I was 4 minutes late to my pick-up time dashing from the car rental garage expecting a call from them anytime, but nothing. When I located the greeter, he told me that my driver told him that he has everyone on his list and left. Luckily the greeter took me to the next shuttle in their final boarding so I didn’t have to wait for a full hour. Changes can contact 520-825-4000, but I just didn’t realized that I was running for the trains in Japan.

Sessions that my family got in – All positive feedback, learned new things and worth all the hype.

Spa treatment – Excellent 80 mins massage. Due to Covid, no couple massage in the same room.

Food – Honestly, I thought I was going to starve judging all the cute portion pics. Definitely had no problem ordering double portion of the steak with seafood minus all the healthy green stuffs.

Diet Coke – Phone agent checked with the property and told me no soda is available onsite, so I packed my own. Not an issue here, used to pack my own drinks since Hyatt carries Pepsi products. As it turns out, Coke products are available at the bar.

Earliest class on check in date – It seems in Austin you can join them at 8am according to their FAQ. Here is 11am per phone planner before she cancelled our 10am session that we booked online. I was told that I can’t drop off family until 10:30am before their 11am session. Talking to the hotel, it seems there would be some flexibility here. Still not pleased with what the phone agent (based in Austin) did.

Sunrise Suite 601 – used a suite upgrade. Nice soaking tub and an extra outdoor shower. Gas fire pit outside but no privacy during day hours. Service golf cart kicks off dirt every time they go by and your backyard faces the path to the challenge course and the outback hike. Might not be a problem if the room is further south in #616. The short cut from the backside of the Labyrinth is a rocky (loose rocks) path down the hill with railing, not recommending in the dark.

Miraval Suite 519 – used a suite upgrade. Double French door entry directly across from the Yucca pool (99 degrees!) & hot tub (104 degrees) so the location is great. This is the pool they used for some float session and probably why the temperature is so hot. Yes, the room is dated but with fire place inside and a somewhat private porch that you can hear water flowing by made it a very calming experience. If we do this again, we would take this over Sunrise.

Wildlife – Look for their 2 resident owls

Late check out – Granted 3pm check out on the Sunrise suite, but the last shuttle is 2pm to the airport

Hotel SUV (Lexus GX) – Since there is not a 3pm shuttle, YMMV, hotel offered 50% off on their car service to the airport. Full price is $250 and I am guessing we will need to add tax on top of this before divided by 2.

UBER X – Hotel has a recommended driver that lives nearby. Was told $45~$65 from the driver and we confirmed the pickup time in the morning via text. In our case on a weekday at 3pm, the price was $54+tips. Final price is set when the driver arrived resort and you request for the ride on the app. Vehicle is a Malibu and the driver allowed me to sit in the front.

Value – With BOGO at 32,000 points per night, the value is definitely there. We would repeat. Not counting $480 resort fee, we wouldn’t spend $2,500 with tax per night for 2 people. We would need a lot more than $175 resort credit per person to make the cash rate value work.

Day spa package – I can’t get any dates to work, but for $249+ per person with $175 resort fee and have resort access from 8am to 5pm, this seems to be a steal. Probably no Hyatt points credit and don’t know if there is any other resort fee on top of this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:23 pm

the $190 hour massage final cost is $190. no gratuity added or even possible to add. no tax.

plastic cups only in room.

no one knew how to get ice for provided in-room ice bucket.

no turndown service.

miraval suite bathroom kinda sucks. cheap basic tub.

food was excellent.

AM hike is lovely and well organized.

no grief using ipad to read a book at pool.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Demographics

Have a reservation for this weekend. Just went through a breakup, was supposed to go with the girlfriend…

do I go by myself? Is the resort all couples? Or will there be opportunities to socialize with others? Can I used the second persons resort credit for myself?

could also try and find someone else to accompany me.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

You can go alone. It is not couples required or anything. I have seen what appear to be people alone or in non romantic pairs/groups. I don't think they will let you use the second person credit, but I do believe they charge additional for the second person (at least they do on points) so you should get that removed if you don't have someone you want to take instead.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roder
Have a reservation for this weekend. Just went through a breakup, was supposed to go with the girlfriend…

do I go by myself? Is the resort all couples? Or will there be opportunities to socialize with others? Can I used the second persons resort credit for myself?

could also try and find someone else to accompany me.
I've been alone, and while the crowd is predominantly couples, there's usually a number of singles and friend groups.

They do charge extra cash or points for the second person, so definitely get the second person removed if possible for significant savings that outweigh the second person's resort credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.