Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by moolman
I tried the two versions of the Japanese breakfast. Don't get it. It's just a waste of money. Maybe I'm not an expert in Japanese food. I've lived in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles, had Japanese all over Los Angeles, had n/naka, which is considered premium, it's the one on the Netflix show, so I've had enough Japanese food to know, probably. It's not better than the PH Tokyo Japanese breakfast, which is free for Globalist. I thought both breakfast was average, nothing where I'm eating it more than once.
That’s insanity. Just say it’s not your thing. For me the Japanese breakfast from the PH Tokyo and Kyoto were master classes in crafting individual ingredients and letting the diner choose how to pair things. Everything was impeccably made and I could taste the attention to detail in every bite. Granted, I think I like the one at the PH Tokyo a bit more.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Eke2k6
That’s insanity. Just say it’s not your thing. For me the Japanese breakfast from the PH Tokyo and Kyoto were master classes in crafting individual ingredients and letting the diner choose how to pair things. Everything was impeccably made and I could taste the attention to detail in every bite. Granted, I think I like the one at the PH Tokyo a bit more.
Maybe hot take but I thought the HR Kyoto’s Japanese breakfast was right up there with both (though one morning the PH Tokyo had sea bass for the fish - that was amazing).
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I tried the two versions of the Japanese breakfast. Don't get it. It's just a waste of money. Maybe I'm not an expert in Japanese food. I've lived in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles, had Japanese all over Los Angeles, had n/naka, which is considered premium, it's the one on the Netflix show, so I've had enough Japanese food to know, probably. It's not better than the PH Tokyo Japanese breakfast, which is free for Globalist. I thought both breakfast was average, nothing where I'm eating it more than once.
Japanese breakfast really isn't trying to be premium and won't be as flashy or gourmand as whatever LA's finest is. Would your thoughts change if there wasn't a surcharge and it was complimentary like PH Tokyo's?
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Japanese breakfast really isn't trying to be premium and won't be as flashy or gourmand as whatever LA's finest is. Would your thoughts change if there wasn't a surcharge and it was complimentary like PH Tokyo's?
Not expecting it to be flashy, did expect it to be a bit better tasting...haha... So it's not my thing I guess, I've had similar japanese breakfast at other places and I'm making an unfair comparison to a big place then but they do advertise that the breakfast is by that fancy restaurant that is onsite, so I was expecting more. And with the upcharge I was expecting it to blow me away. As someone mentioned about the rice, it's made in that small stone pot, kind of like how the Korean soon tofu places do it, the main reason it tastes so good is because they use good rice, not that cheap Calrose that we in the states are used to. You can go to any Asian market and either get the nice rice, it's either sushi rice or the Korean rice from Korea, when the price is at least $30-40 for 15kg, you know you got the right one. PH Tokyo had a better Japanese breakfast with that hot tofu thing and a few other things. I say 2 kinds of Japanese breakfast because they asked me and said they change up the small sides in the bento box, so those things changed. The Western breakfast is better at PH Tokyo too, Tokyo has a bigger spread by far but I really did like the French toast at Kyoto much better, you can tell the chef makes it right there for you behind the buffet bar.

I can take back my critique and just say, the Japanese breakfast is not worth the upcharge for a Globalist.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can take back my critique and just say, the Japanese breakfast is not worth the upcharge for a Globalist.
This has been my thinking since they started the surcharge. Breakfast is just to tide one over until all the wonderful Kyoto restaurants open at 11-11:30am outside. I can gladly "make do" with the Western buffet on offer.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:55 am

This has been my thinking since they started the surcharge. Breakfast is just to tide one over until all the wonderful Kyoto restaurants open at 11-11:30am outside. I can gladly "make do" with the Western buffet on offer.
True, on the restaurants around Kyoto. I was near the palace today and just randomly walked into a restaurant and had one of the best meals. It was basically a casual version of n/naka, omakase dishes of all kinds. It's right near the HP Kyoto. Only problem is I don't know how to find restaurants like this...lol... It was random.

和食房 つるや 勇寿
+81 75-708-5672
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rXzc9uSkdZKQE8WF9
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:00 am

Authentic Japanese food in America is very different from traditional Japanese food in Japan. One big example is pickled foods; Japanese people think it's super healthy and enjoy eating a breakfast platter of everything under the sun pickled. But someone from America may wonder why breakfast has only a bit of "the good stuff" they're used to. I'm sure the Japanese food in LA was authentic, but they served authentic stuff Americans like to eat, not authentic stuff Americans don't have the pallet for
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:35 pm

Wow. Must be bad if you're saying Andaz Seoul's is better. I actually think Andaz Seoul's breakfast is one of the weakest in the entire Andaz family.
Really?? The entire Andaz family? I've seen some pretty subpar offerings in the north america regions, but Andaz seoul's breakfast is nothing to scoff at.
Now if you are comparing to Andaz in the asian region, then there maybe more merit to your argument.

I was happy with my 5 night stay at Andaz Seoul and fully enjoyed their breakfast...so each to their own.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:44 pm

I'm checking award availability on Hotel Rewards Checker: https://maxmypoint.com/hotel/8597

Looks like there is nothing available from October to December. Are the rooms not released yet, or are they completely booked? Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by xudongsun
I'm checking award availability on Hotel Rewards Checker: https://maxmypoint.com/hotel/8597

Looks like there is nothing available from October to December. Are the rooms not released yet, or are they completely booked? Thanks.
Fall foliage and holiday season so I bet the rooms are booked. Searching a random date in Jan I can find standard room availability so rooms have been released
Chemystery and xudongsun like this.

Last edited by travelbugging; Jun 24, 2023 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by xudongsun

You should check frequently because award availability tends to fluctuate a lot, probably due to a larger number of speculative bookings.
xudongsun likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
What’s the best way to transfer to ITM? I’ve got an 8:25 departure on a Wednesday for an ITM-HND-JFK flight. Is a 5:30 taxi to the airport my best bet? I guess that will be $100-$150?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Just to clarify - the cheaper option would be to take a taxi from Park Hyatt to Kyoto Station, and then the limousine bus. I did the reverse when arriving into ITM and going to the Park Hyatt and it was fine.

If you are near Kyoto Station, you can take the Airport Limousine bus and it's much cheaper - 1,340¥ (less than $10). It takes about an hour. https://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/timetable/K/
murphy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Glob, EX-AS 75k
TLDR; Do not expect smooth visit if you are Globalist booking two rooms; service is lacking.

Back from a glorious 16d in Japan (5d HC Tokyo/Ginza, 2d TDR, 2d HR Hakone, 2d USJ, 4d PH Kyoto). We booked 2 rooms at all hotels for our family, upgraded 1 at all 3 Hyatts to suite with TSU, and asked for our Hyatt Concierge to confirm connecting/adjacent rooms at all 3, which she confirmed over email.

While HC Tokyo and HR Hakone welcomed us with connecting/adjacent rooms and readily provided Glob benefits for both rooms, PH Kyoto took a different spin. Two days before checkin, they emailed me to say that the could only provide Glob benefits for 1 room, however if we re-booked the second room as GoH they would provide Glob benefits to that room as well. Dealing with two sick kids in Japan, I simply forwarded this email to my Hyatt Concierge and asked her to comply with their request, using my husband's name on the second room.

At checkin, we were told that we did not get connecting rooms, nor adjacent, nor same floor, nor same building, and that nothing could be done. Nothing. Billy (Director of Rooms) told me 9 different ways that they had prior guests checked into all the non-suite rooms on the suite floor, and that nothing nearby was available either. He told us to have a drink in the lobby while he figured out options, and then provided only one, that we could get a King room (instead of the 2Q room for our m/f teens) by moving the next day. There are only 70 rooms there, thank you for your understanding, etc. (For the curious, drinks were posted to our account.) We asked to change out into a standard room near our kids' room but there wasn't one.

Beware that he was unmoved by my email confirmation of connecting/adjacent rooms, as those are "requests and other guests arrived first." Kids timed the walk between rooms as they were on floor 6 and we were on floor 2, which are in different buildings. 300 steps/7 minutes when elevators were slow. Most trips this wouldn't have been a big deal but the kids were both sick and I had to run back and forth to care for them.

Breakfast was the highlight, along with the view from the kids' room. Our suite was called "private garden" view but it felt like a basement.

Leaving the hotel, we asked to have a van taxi called and prepare for check out, and the clerk could not say no enough ways. "They might charge more for a van (fine), the van might not be available, can you give me a number to call you if there is no van," etc. Typically if we ask for a van taxi, the answer is, we'll get one as soon as possible, do you need help with your bags? We carried our own bags down. Check in and Check out were the low points, the staff just did not seem to be on the PH level. The champagne hour was also lovely, but the windowless Living Room lobby isn't a spectacular atmosphere. Wish that was at the gorgeous bar!
Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michellt
TLDR; Do not expect smooth visit if you are Globalist booking two rooms; service is lacking.

Back from a glorious 16d in Japan (5d HC Tokyo/Ginza, 2d TDR, 2d HR Hakone, 2d USJ, 4d PH Kyoto). We booked 2 rooms at all hotels for our family, upgraded 1 at all 3 Hyatts to suite with TSU, and asked for our Hyatt Concierge to confirm connecting/adjacent rooms at all 3, which she confirmed over email.

While HC Tokyo and HR Hakone welcomed us with connecting/adjacent rooms and readily provided Glob benefits for both rooms, PH Kyoto took a different spin. Two days before checkin, they emailed me to say that the could only provide Glob benefits for 1 room, however if we re-booked the second room as GoH they would provide Glob benefits to that room as well. Dealing with two sick kids in Japan, I simply forwarded this email to my Hyatt Concierge and asked her to comply with their request, using my husband's name on the second room.

At checkin, we were told that we did not get connecting rooms, nor adjacent, nor same floor, nor same building, and that nothing could be done. Nothing. Billy (Director of Rooms) told me 9 different ways that they had prior guests checked into all the non-suite rooms on the suite floor, and that nothing nearby was available either. He told us to have a drink in the lobby while he figured out options, and then provided only one, that we could get a King room (instead of the 2Q room for our m/f teens) by moving the next day. There are only 70 rooms there, thank you for your understanding, etc. (For the curious, drinks were posted to our account.) We asked to change out into a standard room near our kids' room but there wasn't one.

Beware that he was unmoved by my email confirmation of connecting/adjacent rooms, as those are "requests and other guests arrived first." Kids timed the walk between rooms as they were on floor 6 and we were on floor 2, which are in different buildings. 300 steps/7 minutes when elevators were slow. Most trips this wouldn't have been a big deal but the kids were both sick and I had to run back and forth to care for them.

Breakfast was the highlight, along with the view from the kids' room. Our suite was called "private garden" view but it felt like a basement.

Leaving the hotel, we asked to have a van taxi called and prepare for check out, and the clerk could not say no enough ways. "They might charge more for a van (fine), the van might not be available, can you give me a number to call you if there is no van," etc. Typically if we ask for a van taxi, the answer is, we'll get one as soon as possible, do you need help with your bags? We carried our own bags down. Check in and Check out were the low points, the staff just did not seem to be on the PH level. The champagne hour was also lovely, but the windowless Living Room lobby isn't a spectacular atmosphere. Wish that was at the gorgeous bar!
Insult to injury when they tell you to have a drink (while waiting) and charge you for it. I would probably raise these issues with Consumer Affairs. You'd think a property would have some sympathy for a parent with sick kids. Would you have foregone the suite to have connecting rooms?

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 7, 2023 at 1:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.