Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:22 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I have an expiring Chase Hyatt card anniversary FN cert. The expiration date is August 11th. Does that mean the stay has to be completed on 11th, i.e. check out on the 11th?

Anybody knows?
Yes, you have to check out by the 11th.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:23 pm

[\\\]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 3:48 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys.

I called WOH after posting the question. Rep confirmed Friday Aug 10th is the last day I can use it for a stay.

Not sure if we should drive out to the Bonita Springs Hyatt or just go to West Palm Beach for a Cat 3 Hyatt Place. Would need to make a decision tomorrow.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:31 pm

[+++]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 3:49 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skj
Yes, you have to check out by the 11th.
Originally Posted by beltway
Short version: yes, completed stay by the expiration date.

Long version: wiki at The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)
Originally Posted by beltway
I assume you're not Plat/Diamond (OK, Explorist or Globalist), because in that event it might make sense to take the points instead. See the wiki cited above.
Unfortunately not elite with WOH. The effort is put to Marriott's program these days. So I need to salvage the $75 value the next 3 days.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Caesar Diamond
Hey, newbie here! I am at Explorist and will hit Globalist soon thereafter. I was wondering what did you have to book to receive the complimentary upgrade either to a better category or suite. For example if I book the most common room King Size no view, can I be upgraded as an Explorist to a double twin with a view (that costs more)?

Does asking at the front desk counter and mentioning the status you're at the proper way of getting an upgrade, or does calling in ahead of time and asking work better? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by lavidaesbella
Hey, newbie here! I am at Explorist and will hit Globalist soon thereafter. I was wondering what did you have to book to receive the complimentary upgrade either to a better category or suite. For example if I book the most common room King Size no view, can I be upgraded as an Explorist to a double twin with a view (that costs more)?
Congratulations and welcome! Any room booked is eligible for an upgrade if there's nicer rooms available 'above' it; I.e. a Regular King could be upgraded to a View King or a Deluxe King. They usually maintain the bed type, so if you want to get a twin, just ask at checkin. When I checked into the GH SF yesterday, they told me they had given me the best King but they had a nicer Deluxe Twin on a higher floor if I wanted it. And that was proactive!

Originally Posted by lavidaesbella
Does asking at the front desk counter and mentioning the status you're at the proper way of getting an upgrade, or does calling in ahead of time and asking work better? Thanks in advance!
The desk person usually knows and is 'scripted' to thank you for your loyalty and your [tier] status. You can always contact the property ahead of time — it doesn't hurt — but they usually really know if they have availability the day-of. If you want to arm yourself with knowledge (particularly when it comes to Glob suite upgrades), check the app to see if they're selling standard suites, which is a somewhat (not 100%) sure indicator that there's inventory left. If the hotel's full, the hotel's full!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A WOH rep told me the Chase FN cert expires at Midnight of the expiration date - i.e. my cert expiration date is Aug 11th, she insisted her system would prevent her to use the cert to book a stay occurs on Aug 10th, because the cert expires at the Midnight of 11th... like a Golden Carriage turns back to Pumpkin... When I asked her to double check she insisted the system would not let her - that was I hadn't even given her my WOH number but only asked a general question... Then she just hung up on me.

Called back and got a male agent based in Illinois. He said Aug 10 was the absolute last date I could use the cert, as y'all confirmed here. He went ahead to make the reservation but because I needed to use a different CC other than the one in file (I dont remember I ever leave a CC on Hyatt site!) he needed to transfer me to an automatic system to input the CC used for guarantee. I dont feel like to do this so I asked him to cancel the reservation he just did and returned the cert then I booked it online myself, despite the cancellation clause was 4 days before arrival. I saw a reservation and a cancellation came. He did not get a valid CC guarantee on that one. I hope that would not cause any issue - i.e. I would not be charged one night out from this canceled reservation. I did get his name, ID and location. Hopefully I would not need it at the end.

Online I only see the reservation I have made myself.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
A WOH rep told me the Chase FN cert expires at Midnight of the expiration date - i.e. my cert expiration date is Aug 11th, she insisted her system would prevent her to use the cert to book a stay occurs on Aug 10th, because the cert expires at the Midnight of 11th... like a Golden Carriage turns back to Pumpkin... When I asked her to double check she insisted the system would not let her - that was I hadn't even given her my WOH number but only asked a general question... Then she just hung up on me.

Called back and got a male agent based in Illinois. He said Aug 10 was the absolute last date I could use the cert, as y'all confirmed here. He went ahead to make the reservation but because I needed to use a different CC other than the one in file (I dont remember I ever leave a CC on Hyatt site!) he needed to transfer me to an automatic system to input the CC used for guarantee. I dont feel like to do this so I asked him to cancel the reservation he just did and returned the cert then I booked it online myself, despite the cancellation clause was 4 days before arrival. I saw a reservation and a cancellation came. He did not get a valid CC guarantee on that one. I hope that would not cause any issue - i.e. I would not be charged one night out from this canceled reservation. I did get his name, ID and location. Hopefully I would not need it at the end.

Online I only see the reservation I have made myself.
Is the gender of the person relevant to your story above?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Is the gender of the person relevant to your story above?
And this is all you could pick up after reading my experiences which are primarily about incompetent agent and competent agent?

Should I just use Agent A and then Agent B? Does it better suit your standard?

Though come to think about that, it seems I tend to have better experiences with male agents who tend to be more willing to listen, less insistent in their own thinking and overall having a better attitude to listen to the customers. Whether it is gender related, I do not know, but since you ask... On the other hand I would not ever think up a question like yours, in the way of the "political correct" nonsense which does not offer any value-added input here.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 9, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Let's not get it derailed on a gender preference. Seems unrelated to the thread. I think you might have experienced the infamous HUCA. Hope it works out OK.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
And this is all you could pick up after reading my experiences which are primarily about incompetent agent and competent agent?

Should I just use Agent A and then Agent B? Does it better suit your standard?

Though come to think about that, it seems I tend to have better experiences with male agents who tend to be more willing to listen, less insistent in their own thinking and overall having a better attitude to listen to the customers. Whether it is gender related, I do not know, but since you ask... On the other hand I would not ever think up a question like yours, in the way of the "political correct" nonsense which does not offer any value-added input here.
I found it interesting that you referenced gender in your original post, that's all. Like, should that make any difference to whether the agent is competent or not? But your follow on answer is pretty clear.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Is it possible to combine a Points + Cash booking with the 6,000-point suite upgrade?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:26 pm

How does the Hyatt card compare to the the Mariott or Starwood credit cards? I don't travel that often, so I would be comparing annual fee vs what you get for the annual fee (free night certificate). This is assuming that I keep the credit card. I know it is also very tempting to get the sign up bonus and cancel card and repeat every 24 months... What is your experience with these hotel credit cards- keep them vs churn?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by coremill
Is it possible to combine a Points + Cash booking with the 6,000-point suite upgrade?
I've never seen it so. However, the property has discretion on the rate & room types these suite upgrades can be be applied to (some require a deluxe room booking, etc), so I'd reach out to WoH and see if they'll let you for the specific property / situation.

Last edited by ClarkGriswold; Aug 15, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.