Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Question: I just got my first aniv cat 1-4 free night from my Hyatt CC. However I notice despite the terms of it saying 1-4, I can log into my account and when I search for a hotel it gives me the option to redeem it for any cat hotel. Is this a glitch and or would they notice it at checkin? Thx.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't believe the reservation will complete the process if you select a 5 or above.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Dumb question: I keep getting emails about spending nights at vacation clubs for a couple hundred bucks for 2 nights (this case - Hyatt Carmel) - anyhow... how big of a time sink is attending the stupid "private tour?"
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Dumb question: I keep getting emails about spending nights at vacation clubs for a couple hundred bucks for 2 nights (this case - Hyatt Carmel) - anyhow... how big of a time sink is attending the stupid "private tour?"
I've read reports of stonewalling them working well. "I only make $x, my expenses are $x. I can not afford it."
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do points return to account automatically after cancelling award booking?

I have no experiences in cancelling a Hyatt award night booked with points.

With SPG / IHG / HH, the points would return to the account almost immediately after cancelling an award booking. HH sometimes would take a day or 2 to return the points when it had some glitches last year but the website seems to be quite glitch-free lately.

Hyatt website, OTOH, seems to be always have some issues. I cannot see my free night cert under My Award for example. My husband's showed up for a week then disappeared after the "enhancement" of the site. Fortunately the phone rep still was able to see it but that also meant online booking was not possible, must be booked by phone.

So, does Hyatt site would automatically return the points to the account once an award night is canceled? I also read about that some canceled the bookings but did not get a cancellation confirmation number.

I have booked a lot of award nights lately for an upcoming long trip. One or two of those bookings are back up bookings and may be canceled before the 24 hours arrival deadline. However we would be overseas when that need arises. So we may not be able to call to cancel thus ensure to get a cancellation confirmation number and hopefully to see the points return to account while we are still on the phone. Our only option might be to cancel online.

Can someone shed some light on this? TIA.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Usually they go back automatically. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the certificate doesn't go back either.

A call to customer services will fix it promptly.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by RTW1
Most likely is that if there are any changes they will start in the new member year. But who knows with the way GP seems to be run these days...
Kinda answered my own question. Looking online, it seemed it was renewed at the beginning of Nov.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:34 pm

Has anyone ever requested retroactive credit for spend at a restaurant associated with a Hyatt? Last March I had dinner at the New York Grill while staying at the Andaz in Tokyo. When I made the reservation several nights prior, I was staying at the PH, so I assumed the concierge notated my HGP account. Anyway, several months later I send an e-mail and get a response back from reception at the NY Grill letting me know they are working on crediting my points.

Fast forward a few days later and I see the points credited to my account with the Platinum bonus of 15%, but the points seem inaccurate in count. The bill was for 58,249 JPY which at the time amounted to about $514 USD. The number of JPY you can now get for each USD is lower, which would mean even using today's figures, I would likely earn MORE points than less. But what I found was that I was credited 2,024 base points ~4ppd earning.

Does this seem right? Is there any reason why a bill of $514 USD only earned 2,328 points instead of what I imagined would be about 2955 after the elite bonus?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Has anyone ever requested retroactive credit for spend at a restaurant associated with a Hyatt? Last March I had dinner at the New York Grill while staying at the Andaz in Tokyo. When I made the reservation several nights prior, I was staying at the PH, so I assumed the concierge notated my HGP account. Anyway, several months later I send an e-mail and get a response back from reception at the NY Grill letting me know they are working on crediting my points.

Fast forward a few days later and I see the points credited to my account with the Platinum bonus of 15%, but the points seem inaccurate in count. The bill was for 58,249 JPY which at the time amounted to about $514 USD. The number of JPY you can now get for each USD is lower, which would mean even using today's figures, I would likely earn MORE points than less. But what I found was that I was credited 2,024 base points ~4ppd earning.

Does this seem right? Is there any reason why a bill of $514 USD only earned 2,328 points instead of what I imagined would be about 2955 after the elite bonus?
my first thought: Booze not earning points...? Not 100% sure if Japan is one of the places that makes it illegal to get points from alcohol sales.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
my first thought: Booze not earning points...? Not 100% sure if Japan is one of the places that makes it illegal to get points from alcohol sales.
Yeah I don't have the receipt anymore so I can't say how much of the bill was alcohol. Looking at Tripadvisor, I see that they do itemize beverage and non-alcoholic beverages separately and add 15% service charge to the bill. So you were partly correct as neither the tax, service charge or alcohol are points earning (says so right on the receipt). Kinda rips the wind out of my sails, but I'll take the 2300 points I guess. The biggest face palm of all was that I didn't use my chase hyatt card to pay. That would have been an extra 1500 points.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Does a points purchase code as Hyatt spend or is it processed via Points.com or something similar and hence no bonus points on the spend? THanks
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How soon the annual free night cert posts?

I vaguely remember reading it is about a week after anniversary, and does not correspondent to the card's statement closing date. My anniversary is Aug 2nd. Wonder when the cert becomes available as we can definitely use it.

Back in June I saw DH's posted, then disappeared so had to call to book. Hope mine would show up online as we would be aboard in a few weeks. Online booking makes it much easier than calling outside US.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:55 pm
Used to be planetrain

Programs: United, Marriott
If I book the first night at a hotel points+cash, and 3 remaining nights points on a separate reservation - will I get the stay credit for the first night? I'm hoping they wouldn't combine the reservation.

The best case scenario would be if they combined it and it counted as 1 stay + 4 nights! Anyone have experience or luck on this?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by unleashlife
If I book the first night at a hotel points+cash, and 3 remaining nights points on a separate reservation - will I get the stay credit for the first night? I'm hoping they wouldn't combine the reservation.

The best case scenario would be if they combined it and it counted as 1 stay + 4 nights! Anyone have experience or luck on this?
I do this semi-regularly. You will get a stay credit as well as a single night credit. If you phone Gold Passport they will be able to make it one reservation for you which will make it easier at check-in and for the hotel.

Last edited by danger; Aug 11, 2016 at 12:06 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why wouldn't you get stay credit for that first P+C night? That's standard.

The system will link consecutive reservations, so getting 2 stays credited is never done. But there have been reports with the new system that there is a chance your award nights will count as night credit. Nothing to do but wait to see how that pans out.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.