Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Ziva Cancun - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I don't think they had the names of our kids before we arrived, so I don't think that is a problem.

My Hyatt Concierge was able to get our 5-year old a rate of $55 a night. We were booking two rooms for 7 nights, so maybe they were cutting us a break. If you have a Concierge, I would see if they could pull a string or two. If not, it cannot hurt to ask for the $55 rate at check-in. Worse they can say is no.
Unfortunately no concierge or any status, so no one to advocate for a 55/nt rate. Also we are only staying 4 nights so that isn’t working in my favor. We’ll be there over valentines/ Presidents’ Day weekend so that also doesn’t help. I’ll ask at check in though and see what happens though!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by setho212

Unfortunately no concierge or any status, so no one to advocate for a 55/nt rate. Also we are only staying 4 nights so that isn’t working in my favor. We’ll be there over valentines/ Presidents’ Day weekend so that also doesn’t help. I’ll ask at check in though and see what happens though!
When I was there with my young children, the front desk manager stated cash rates were dependent upon the time of year/season staying.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
When I was there with my young children, the front desk manager stated cash rates were dependent upon the time of year/season staying.
This is correct - I am going next March and paid points for my wife and I (25k per night) and then am paying $95/night each for my 2 children (ages 10&9).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Upgrades

Does anyone have contact email for upgrading my room at ziva. Trying to use the $250 off $500 offer.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:24 pm

Does anyone know what the real difference is between the front ocean club master vs corner suite is?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Does anyone know what the real difference is between the front ocean club master vs corner suite is?
I can only speak to Corner Suites and they are truly gorgeous. Very large. Luxurious. Huge balcony with full sized hot tub. Panoramic views. Heaven.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Club Master Suite is noticeably bigger imo. The corner suite living room layout is kind of triangular whereas the Master Suite is rectangular. Bathroom is almost double the size with a full bathtub (think it had jets but can't remember). Corner suite does not have a bathtub.

​​​​Master Suites are higher up. I think they are on floors 15-17 (18 is the Penthouse Suite).

Those are the main differences I can think of. Fwiw, they happily replaced the bottles of liquor in our room with our choice (we requested Glenmorangie and Belvedere) when we've stayed in the Master Suite. They did not do it for us on our most recent stay in July which was in a corner suite.
​​​​​
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by ajshin27
Club Master Suite is noticeably bigger imo. The corner suite living room layout is kind of triangular whereas the Master Suite is rectangular. Bathroom is almost double the size with a full bathtub (think it had jets but can't remember). Corner suite does not have a bathtub.

​​​​Master Suites are higher up. I think they are on floors 15-17 (18 is the Penthouse Suite).

Those are the main differences I can think of. Fwiw, they happily replaced the bottles of liquor in our room with our choice (we requested Glenmorangie and Belvedere) when we've stayed in the Master Suite. They did not do it for us on our most recent stay in July which was in a corner suite.
​​​​​
Didn’t realize there is a type in between Corner Suite and the Penthouses... but unless you are planning on throwing a party for 20 I can’t imagine how a Corner Suite wouldn’t more than satisfy. And... premium alcohol is available at all bars on request...

Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

See my recent review.

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...sort-read-3441
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but your review is completely wrong in many respects. A sampling of the errors:
1. First, its 25,000 points per night. Not 20,000 as you wrote.
2. "Only the South Beach is suitable for sun bathing and other activities." That's nuts. The north beach runs the entire length of the resort, is shallow, calm, has hammocks in the water (w/tons of fish), and is where MOST beach activities actually take place, including (free) equipment rentals. This is also where the giant inflatable floating toys are found! The north beach is gorgeous and typically very calm and lacking in seaweed!
3. "The most popular pool is the rooftop adult infinity pool." But how would you know? That pool is limited to Turquoize Tower guests (which you clearly were not). Did you sneak in and get kicked out (because they DO kick people out who don't belong there..) Regardless, I've never found that pool (or any pool there) crowded in my half dozen stays up there. There are always comfy chairs and cabanas (no charge) available. "Party Scene" is relative but I've never observed anything crazy - just adults having fun (and, yes, drinking).
4. "The resort had quite some activities." I'm thinking you didn't experience much of it. They have nightly shows, live music, DJ's, themed parties (day and night), and more.
5. "I had the feeling that this resort is so large and it need more service staff." Unless they've had a mass layoff lately, they have tons and tons and tons of staff everywhere. The fact that they goofed and gave someone a key to your room is unfortunate but not an indication of some kind of massive security problem. I've never experienced or observed any security issues whatsoever and there are staff positioned at all entrances.
6. "La Bastille and Lorenzo: it was very hard to make reservations." Um yes, because they DON'T TAKE RESERVATIONS. Both are first come first serve, and ONLY Bastille has the the "Resort Formal" dress code you mention (which adds to its elegance - as does the fact that it is adults only). If there are no tables when you arrive they will give you a pager. Bastille has the best food at the property, by far, but I'll agree with you that Habaneros is excellent - but there are NO locals at Habaneros (other than the staff).

You obviously have no Hyatt status as they upgrade Globalists to fantastic rooms and you got the lowest level room (or thereabouts) but that said, it's really not fair to call the rooms "plain" and "lacking character" as they are very very nice with lots of Mexican detail.

That said, I understand you didn't like it and that's your right - I just want to correct the (many many) outright inaccuracies in your review.
levilevi, cuthroat and 59Impala like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but your review is completely wrong in many respects. A sampling of the errors:
2. bla bla....
That is my opinion. Sure you have the right to disagree.

To me, I won't be back and we won't be back. It is cheap and feels cheap, but no character. The foot is really lousy. People would be tired of the food after a couple of days. Only the free drinks is nice if you like to get drunk and write good review on this.

I only stayed there 3 nights at the end of our Cancun trip. That was the right decision. That was why I did not use my suite upgrade award for that short stay. It is all-inclusive and no club lounge. I was and am still a Hyatt Globalist. They did not do much to Hyatt elite.

I've booked 7-night GH Kauai stay and used one of my Globalist suite upgrade.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 8, 2019 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:41 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
2. "Only the South Beach is suitable for sun bathing and other activities." That's nuts. The north beach runs the entire length of the resort, is shallow, calm, has hammocks in the water (w/tons of fish), and is where MOST beach activities actually take place, including (free) equipment rentals. This is also where the giant inflatable floating toys are found! The north beach is gorgeous and typically very calm and lacking in seaweed!
3. "The most popular pool is the rooftop adult infinity pool." But how would you know? That pool is limited to Turquoize Tower guests (which you clearly were not). Did you sneak in and get kicked out (because they DO kick people out who don't belong there..) Regardless, I've never found that pool (or any pool there) crowded in my half dozen stays up there. There are always comfy chairs and cabanas (no charge) available. "Party Scene" is relative but I've never observed anything crazy - just adults having fun (and, yes, drinking).
4. "The resort had quite some activities." I'm thinking you didn't experience much of it. They have nightly shows, live music, DJ's, themed parties (day and night), and more.
5. "I had the feeling that this resort is so large and it need more service staff." Unless they've had a mass layoff lately, they have tons and tons and tons of staff everywhere. The fact that they goofed and gave someone a key to your room is unfortunate but not an indication of some kind of massive security problem. I've never experienced or observed any security issues whatsoever and there are staff positioned at all entrances.
6. "La Bastille and Lorenzo: it was very hard to make reservations." Um yes, because they DON'T TAKE RESERVATIONS. Both are first come first serve, and ONLY Bastille has the the "Resort Formal" dress code you mention (which adds to its elegance - as does the fact that it is adults only). If there are no tables when you arrive they will give you a pager. Bastille has the best food at the property, by far, but I'll agree with you that Habaneros is excellent - but there are NO locals at Habaneros (other than the staff).

You obviously have no Hyatt status as they upgrade Globalists to fantastic rooms and you got the lowest level room (or thereabouts) but that said, it's really not fair to call the rooms "plain" and "lacking character" as they are very very nice with lots of Mexican detail.

That said, I understand you didn't like it and that's your right - I just want to correct the (many many) outright inaccuracies in your review.
I fully agree to your comments. We enjoyed the resort very much. The food was outstanding, staff impeccable. I agree the building along the dolphin is nothing special from an architectural stand point. cannot judge on the room itself, as we stayed in the Turquoise Tower. The rooms there were lovely.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I fully agree to your comments. We enjoyed the resort very much. The food was outstanding, staff impeccable. I agree the building along the dolphin is nothing special from an architectural stand point. cannot judge on the room itself, as we stayed in the Turquoise Tower. The rooms there were lovely.
The Turquoize Tower is dreamy. Of all the (MANY) Hyatts and other hotels I've stayed in around the world, I can't think of a nicer standard room (I know they call them all suites, but I think of them as rooms) than what you get in the Turquoize....

I've stayed in every tower at the Ziva... yeah, kind of love it there. The Pyramid Tower rooms are basically a smaller version of Turquoize rooms - very similar features, except everything is, well, smaller. I also really enjoy the architecture of the Pyramid Tower, especially the atrium in the middle - to me it's at or above the level of the Hawaiian resorts mentioned, and on the ocean side of that building the view of the surf crashing right beneath your balcony is breathtaking (or too noisy or "salty" depending on your point of view...) It is odd to me that this person is a Globalist and got a dolphin-view room - they must have been VERY full... as I thought the minimum Globs would get is Ocean Front Club Tower.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

I have elite status with Hyatt, Marriott and other hotel chains. So I'm not tired to just one brand. I like to stay at different hotels and choose the best.

For Cancun, I prefer the IHG Cancun and Ritz Carlton Cancun better than Ziva. I know they are different types of properties.

Here is IHG Cancun. We got upgraded to a top floor ocean view with club lounge access.

Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by RedSun
They did not do much to Hyatt elite..
I'm always curious about Elite Benefits outside all inclusives. Outside of a room upgrade, what other perks would you expect?

For me, they've always upgraded me... Club room with club access, Swim up room (my personal favorite) and Turquoize tower. Have never gotten a standard room and I always use my Cat 1-7 coupon + points for the stay. I've usually managed 1 or 2pm checkout, but have never gotten 4pm. I've appreciated they've extended that due to being a globalist. And they've always claimed to give priority to getting the room ready... have never waited past 1/2pm for my room.

I love the hotel for what I use it for - a long weekend escape from the cold. I usually do the Aloft (for like 89/night) the first night of arrival in cancun, then arrive first thing in the AM to the Ziva and enjoy the facilities until a slightly late check out and a late afternoon flight back to NYC.

One thing I'll agree with on your review - the food will get old after 4/5 days. But that's why I usually do a shorter trip... and just eat as much at Habaneros as possible

Also, can you correct your review to 25k points/night... unless there was a discount you got to 20k... if so, please spill the beans on how to do that!
lighthouse206 and levilevi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.