Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Any good restaurant recommendations around here? Just here for a night for a layover
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Westin
Any good restaurant recommendations around here? Just here for a night for a layover
Within walking distance, I enjoyed Holy Crab for chili crab. You are also walking distance to Arab Street which has lots of great restaurants
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
So the service is still uneven more than year after the hotel has opened. We had good service at breakfast but in other areas it was very mixed, especially housekeeping and room service. A bit of a crap shoot, so someone on a short stay might get the short end all-round, while on a longer stay it might average out a bit better. I would some it up as generally friendly with a low level of competence, and most unfortunately in some cases a lack of effort. Having stayed at only one other Andaz, Tokyo, I wonder if this is an Andaz thing, We found the staff at Andaz Tokyo also friendly but lacking competency, notably in comparison to the similarly priced PH. One big difference though from Andaz Singapore is that the staff in Tokyo show no lack of willingness to make an effort.

There also seems to be streak of stinginess at Andaz Singapore, as typified by the way they dealt with the case above where the room was not ready at 4:20 PM when the stated check-in time is 3 PM. Not only an absence of proactive compensation but stiff resistance to requested compensation. All they had to do was hand out a few of the drink vouchers that they now give to Globs in lieu of the discontinued Happy Hour! There have also been reports of Gobs not getting an upgrade to a suite in spite of availability even on a one-night stay, and there is a post on TA of a Prive reservation that was told at check-in that the pre-confirmed upgrade to a Deluxe Room was "not available", with no mention of compensation. We also had real difficulty trying to get confirmed upgrading on a 13-night Prive booking because the stay was "too long". It was suggested we stay 6 nights, go someplace else for one night, and then come back for 6 nights, which I found ridiculous.
I do feel like Andaz hotels are not as strong when it comes to interactions with the staff beyond checking in. However, in my stays at the andaz properties in Tokyo and Shanghai I have never has situations or treatment like you describe in singapore, so I think those are definitely property specific issues. Sure they may not know answers to some of my questions that other hotels in tokyo would but they go and find out and would not be rude about it. It is a bit of a surprise that they don't have a dedicated concierge when you are paying room rates as high as you are in Tokyo, but the room and view really carry the day for me at least and makes the Andaz Tokyo one of my favorites. I just think when you show up at 4:20pm and your room is still not ready on a 3pm check in time that its a bit absurd. I do not care if my room is not ready when I show up early, but I expect it to be ready by the time you told me it would be ready, unless the room I am waiting for is going to be an upgraded room. I was really looking forward to checking out this property but I only have a one night stay.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Red259
I do feel like Andaz hotels are not as strong when it comes to interactions with the staff beyond checking in. However, in my stays at the andaz properties in Tokyo and Shanghai I have never has situations or treatment like you describe in singapore, so I think those are definitely property specific issues. Sure they may not know answers to some of my questions that other hotels in tokyo would but they go and find out and would not be rude about it. It is a bit of a surprise that they don't have a dedicated concierge when you are paying room rates as high as you are in Tokyo, but the room and view really carry the day for me at least and makes the Andaz Tokyo one of my favorites. I just think when you show up at 4:20pm and your room is still not ready on a 3pm check in time that its a bit absurd. I do not care if my room is not ready when I show up early, but I expect it to be ready by the time you told me it would be ready, unless the room I am waiting for is going to be an upgraded room. I was really looking forward to checking out this property but I only have a one night stay.
We much prefer the suite at Singapore to the standard room at Tokyo, for size, layout, and view, and the suite Singapore priced far less than the room at Tokyo. The quality of materials is much higher at Tokyo, a really top class hard product. However, F&B service is much better at Singapore for anyone on a longe stay; they remember pretty much everything: name, room No., seating preference, drink preference, etc. Breakfast was a better experience at Singapore, although Tokyo has the edge in breakfast food quality. The problem with Singapore is not that service is poor, it is uneven. We have experience many more exceptional staff at Singapore than at Tokyo, but unfortunately we have also experienced many more sub-standard staff.

If you are only there for one night you may have a great experience, or you may have a mediocre experience, but that is true for just about any hotel. If you're just in Singapore for just one night, why don't you try it out for yourself, you certainly don't have much to lose.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'll likely be staying for one day in early April. Hope the service issues aren't quite as bad as everyone says.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:09 am

first time at Andaz Sg

After many years of Grand Hyatt being my go-to place in Singapore, I thought I would give Andaz a try. So far so good and I wanted to post some follow-ups to what others have mentioned.

At check-in, it did seem like the staff is still learning. When the person checking me in saw that I was globalist, she went to get a supervisor to check me in. They offered me a suite upgrade. But for that I would have had to wait. (It was 1 in the afternoon) So I asked that they just give me a standard room. They put me in a room they call "King View Deluxe." It's actually quite nice and I'll post photos. While they don't have anything like a Grand Club, they told me the Sunroom lounge is open 24 hours for soft drinks and coffee. They gave me a couple of complimentary drink vouchers also.

Regarding direct entrance from Bugis MRT as others have mentioned: Follow the signs for Exits D/E You'll also see signs for Duo Tower and Andaz. When you get to that last escalator, with signage indicating Duo Tower and Andaz, go past it to the right and keep going down the hall. You'll see the nondescript door on the left also with an Andaz/Duo Tower sign. That's a door to B3 parking level. Walk through that door and there are elevators, which you can take up to 25/F where the hotel lobby is.

My only complaint: The WiFi is one of those where they limit each user to 10Mbps. In this day and age, and particularly in a place where everyone is on fiber broadband, this is an example of hotel management not understanding user experience.

But overall my first impressions are good. If you value modern, nicely appointed rooms, and the interesting area around Bugis, this is better than GH. If you value the clubroom and a hotel that's been around a while where the staff has all the details sorted, stick with GH.

bath

king bed area

living area

in-room coffee

foyer

elevator from B3

the secret door!
Boraxo, rayfes and sydneyflyer12 like this.

Last edited by rambutan; Mar 26, 2019 at 3:51 am Reason: added photo
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
So I posed a question in the GH thread if I should check that out the GH on my one-night stay in SG this week or if I could come back to the Andaz. I ultimately decided to come back to the Andaz and was very pleased with my decision. Justified the extra price by taking the subway one direction back to the airport to save a little cash. Really hard to beat the location. Got upgraded to a suite this time. It was a beautifully appointed room, although a little strange as you walk into the bedroom first and the living room is towards the back, but I digress. Loved the oversized bathroom. And no matter what city I am in, there is something so cool about sitting in bed and pushing a button to watch the shades automatically open to an awesome view -- and this was no exception.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:54 pm
She

Does anyone know the size of the day bed in the standard rooms? Wondering if it can sleep a 7 year old child (roughly 4ft tall). Standard rooms do not allow rollaway but I can book 2 adults + 1 child so assuming this means the day bed can be converted?
Old May 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

How far in advance does award booking opening up for Andaz Singapore? I'm trying to do an award booking in Q1 2020 and nothing's available points-wise for January, early February or March. Is this unadvertised blackout dates or is it just too far out?
Old May 18, 2019, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ecatalina
How far in advance does award booking opening up for Andaz Singapore? I'm trying to do an award booking in Q1 2020 and nothing's available points-wise for January, early February or March. Is this unadvertised blackout dates or is it just too far out?
Award booking is not separate inventory. If there is a base level room available, it should be available for redemption booking.

I just checked early January and early February and no problem at all finding award space for various dates and lengths of stay.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Award booking is not separate inventory. If there is a base level room available, it should be available for redemption booking.

I just checked early January and early February and no problem at all finding award space for various dates and lengths of stay.
Thanks, I figured out the issue: I was trying to book 3 guests and there doesn't seem to be a rollaway bed available at the hotel so none of the rooms seem to be able to accommodate 3 guests (at least on points).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Just had 1 night stay here - 1st time staying at Andaz vs. GH.

As others have stated they gave us 4 drink coupons to use at any of the bars. Very nice - included all the drinks, cocktails etc (as opposed to just "house" pours).
No suite upgrade but they seemed quite full. I didn't check to see if suites were available for sale

Very nice breakfast setup...I will consider staying here over GH - the only thing you don't get is the evening hors d'oeuvres
rambutan and joe_miami like this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I rarely ever splurge on hotels, but for this trip to Singapore, I figured, "Why not?"

My impressions mirror most of the ones here. The pool is great, breakfast is fine and service is finicky.

The only issue I had was when checking in. Arrived at 8 AM and no early check-in was possible. I was able to hang out at the lounge for a bit, but when check-in time finally arrived, for whatever reason the staff member confused me with another guest without reconfirming my name. The staff member thought I was another guest trying to change rooms, and I only caught wind of the error when we were in the elevator and she kept going on about the differences between the room types and that they were "in the process of moving my luggage," even though I had never entered the room, to begin with. I finally realized something was wrong when the staff member asked me why I was ordering a rollaway bed even though I was alone.

A simple name confirmation would have avoided this issue.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:18 pm

I really enjoy the hard product here but every time I stay, I can't help but regret not staying somewhere else for one reason or the other.

They seem to be very stingy with upgrades generally. On my most recent stay, I was made to feel like they were doing me a huge favour in allocating me an upgraded room - the thing is, it was one category above what I had booked, on a Virtuoso rate, so I was always entitled to that category anyway.

Breakfast also remains something of a disappointment for me - the cappuccino is out of a bean-to-cup machine and never tasted any good (might even be UHT milk), and the quality of the Asian selection (which is generally the only type I'll eat while in Asia) always left something to be desired.

On the plus side, the Bay View rooms have a very nice open view, and the 665F steak restaurant was a pleasant surprise (it was a particularly good deal for using my USD100 Virtuoso credit).

Overall, it's almost the very definition of a mixed bag. If it was a little bit better, I would stay here every time; if it was a little worse, I would not come back....
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stargold
They seem to be very stingy with upgrades generally. On my most recent stay, I was made to feel like they were doing me a huge favour in allocating me an upgraded room - the thing is, it was one category above what I had booked, on a Virtuoso rate, so I was always entitled to that category anyway.
That's kind of a Singapore thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.