Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Gold Passport Update

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I disagree. I think most people just would appreciate more transparency. Sure MER was never promised beyond 2014, but it is not true that Hyatt ever said it was a "trial" or a "test". This "we always said" BS assumes that everyone on FT is an idiot with short memory. It's a bit insulting that they lie so poorly.

Why not be honest and say, "hey, we threw you a carrot to take attention away from the devaluation, but if you thought that it would last, you're all more fool than we imagined".

So if Hyatt and GP feels fine about dissembling to its so-called "elite" customers, why shouldn't anyone feel fine about dissing that attitude.

Everyone knows that there is no real "loyalty" in either direction. We stay at Hyatt because it is in our own best interests, and they offer only those benefits that they believe will lift their bottom line. And that's how it should be. It is merely a business arrangement, and there is no need to hold back criticism as if it were a spouse, family member, or friend that was treating you like an idiot.
+1. With no MER, I will be staying at SPG significantly more in 2015.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, I'd like to congratulate Hyatt: I applied for the credit card in no small part to make sure I could keep MER. Absent MER, it's just another card; in the scheme of things, it probably isn't worth $79 to keep, which means I'll be cutting it up once a fee comes up next year. I'll do the spend to get the free nights, and that's about it. The extra points at Hyatt are nice and all, but as far as I can tell I get more from either my Amtrak card or my Virgin card (*cues snickering*). MER was really the main draw for me bothering to deal with status here , and having status secured was a decently major draw for the card (since if I dropped status, there was an easy net loss of several hundred dollars from not having MER).

On the other hand, at least for me points+cash is...well, pointless (pun intended). The odds of me actually using points at Hyatt are pretty small (I was mainly looking to transfer them to either Virgin Atlantic or another airline in the long run).

While I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised by whatever is in the 'mystery box' for next year, I think it's fair to say that the Grinch took over this announcement...all I have to say is:

BOOOOOOO!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
By the way, I just have to comment that it is patently absurd that C&P is not available online. If the elementary school kids that run the Hilton IT department can have a website show when C&P is available and allow you to book it online, there is no reason Hyatt should not be able to do so.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
All this bitterness over MER demise just sends a message that no good deed goes unpunished...

Next time they will be just like other chains with same boring useless "promos" - why try something new if people get all pissy if its taken away?

i'd rather have MER or ffn or whaever short tern than not have it at all...
^^^

I am sure there are properties where MERs offers the best rate for some members but my experience with MERs have not yielded a better discount than with my corporate rate. I suggest looking into a thread about corp rates for those using MERs. And if you are working on a govt contract, you have that discount to use which can be decent.

For those considering moving their business to Hilton/Marriott over MERs, please go ahead and let us know how that goes

With the 2014 addition of C&P plus other program improvements AND the Spring/Fall 50K promo, I will continue to move the majority of my business to Hyatt. I was able to yield 93K points stacking up the Fall promo, 1K Diamond amenity, 1K Hyatt app promo, plus my stay points. What other program can match this in today's environment? None.

The thing I do not hope to see in 2015 is the a repeat of the misstep with registering for the 50K promo this Fall. And special sauce surprises. Other than that I love Hyatt, for now.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Dec 13, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Miesque
By the way, I just have to comment that it is patently absurd that C&P is not available online
Don't be so hard on them.... It's only been announced 13 months ago, these things aren't planned anyway. Who knows this could have just been a beta test.

But at least we got an app (that mirrors what the website already could do).
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

All this bitterness over MER demise just sends a message that no good deed goes unpunished...
Really, a good deed? It's a business relation we are talking about here, not kindergarten.

I get it that sometimes you want to experiment or deals are too good to last, MER might be something like that. But it's just like Osakawino already stated, be transparant. When you prominently introduce a new programm feature you should be clear about it.

It was never introduced as a test and even when you could have guessed that 2014 would be the total lifespann, some communication before it actually expired would be nice. A personal e-mail was sent two months before the introduction, now it's just a public announcement about its demise where most will miss it.....

Taking away features requires even more effort in communicating about than just posting some feel good announcement. Most people get that some things might have to change, it's not something to be applauded though, but treating us like "idiots" first keeping us in the dark and then calling it a test.... Not proof of great communication skills. The same with how they are now phrasing the bed-type guarantee. Or how they now handle BRG, or.......

You do loose some of your credibility when a guarantee isn't really that anymore. Just be honest, even in business that can happen :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 13, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTW1
It was never introduced as a test and even when you could have guessed that 2014 would be the total lifespann, some communication before it actually expired would be nice. A personal e-mail was sent two months before the introduction, now it's just a public announcement about its demise where most will miss it.....
I'm as disappointed as everyone else here about the demise of the My Elite rate. However, it was clear that was in place only for 2014. You yourself provided evidence of that several months ago:

The very first line of the T&Cs you linked to state "Rate is valid for current Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum and Diamond members for reservations booked and stays actualized by December 31, 2014 at participating Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide."
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What was clear that it was in place for 2014, nothing but speculation what would happen after that. And even for that there was no guarantee that a property would make it available, some were good and some were not. Calling it a test or a try-out for a year at the time of announcement would have been the thing to do, that's the (whole) point about being transparant.

I also know the t&c's state that term of the GP program can be changed at any time. So eventually nothing is guaranteed....

My continued disappointment is with how GP operates and communicates, I still appreciate the benefits. And most properties are good to me as well. And even while I am also entitled to a corporate rate that approaches MER at a lot of properties, sometimes it's not. Especially at the more resort like locations :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 13, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:45 pm

Not everyone gets a corporate rate. I'm a state employee of Texas. Our state rates are usually higher than what can typically be found on a main website or through AAA discount.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, a good deed? It's a business relation we are talking about here, not kindergarten.

Oh for crying out loud - consider "business relation" with another chain - let's see if they offer MER, FFN, amenity points, lounge closed points, wrong bed type points etc etc...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Oh for crying out loud - consider "business relation" with another chain - let's see if they offer MER, FFN, amenity points, lounge closed points, wrong bed type points etc etc...
More than half of the "offers" you mention above have been killed off or slated to be killed off. I wouldn't be surprised if the "lounge closed points" end up biting the dust too.

That said, I still find great value in being a Hyatt Diamond even after Hyatt has killed of those offers. But I do shop around more than I would otherwise do.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Better than "bad" does not necessarily equate "good".

Just because I continue to stay with Hyatt rather than switch to some other chain does not mean that I have to be delighted with things like guarantees that are not guarantees, or when they stubbornly refused to definitively answer any and all inquires re MER for months and then have the gall to say "we always told you".

I cannot understand every time someone criticises a shortcoming in the program or in GP's often hapless communications, there are some who want to smack down any dissent with "if you don't like it, take your business somewhere else".
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Let's see...
-MER is gone.
-Wrong bed type has been diluted down to the individual hotel's discretion.
-Lounge closed doesn't apply to anyone who doesn't have Diamond, but as indicated it seems likely to bite the dust.

They're doing a pretty good job of eliminating these benefits.

As to my own reaction...basically, as things are right now I'll bend over backwards to stay at a Hyatt. With MER gone, I'm not going to quit Hyatt entirely. I never said that. What I did say was that whereas Hyatt would have 95% of my business (to the exclusion of other chains), now I'm going to compare numbers with Holiday Inn and some others. I think that's a fair position to take and a realistic move considering where the transactional value is or is not.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Why not just join AAA? An individual memberhip nearly everywhere cost < $100, and virtually every hotel chain worthy of your business offers a AAA rate. There are also other benefits, starting with road service.
Not all of us, especially those who live in cities, have any use for road service.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by joetro
Not everyone gets a corporate rate. I'm a state employee of Texas. Our state rates are usually higher than what can typically be found on a main website or through AAA discount.
If I am correct, State employees are require to use Govt rate for all business stays regardless of other discounted rates. And for cases not business related, try using the world wide rate which I found to be very helpful. Check the corp rate thread on how to apply this discount.

I do not condone the use of corp rate codes from other corporations, unless I happen to be working with that corporation. As a contractor, I work with many and take advantage where I can - especially the government.

WRT loyalty to Hyatt, I stay where I feel I can gain most. If SPG/Hilton/etc offers a better program or promotion tomorrow, I will take advantage of it, just like I did with Marriot this year with stay 2X get 1 night free. Hyatt is not holding a gun to my head nor should anyone else feel that to be the case. Feel free to move between programs for comparison. No harm done.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Dec 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.