Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Breakfast for Globalists will be at the Grand Club. Want a suite? Use the SUA or roll the dice for both properties. GH almost never gives their suites to Globalists without using the SUA. You should probably choose PH because you can choose between the breakfast buffet or in-room dining.
I've been upgraded to a suite without using a SUA at the GH. Like any other hotel, it depends on occupancy. It's not true that they "rarely" give them out. They follow the rules and give them out if they are available. I'm not sure what occupancy is like right now. It was crazy the last 2 times I've been; I'm not sure if it's settled down a bit.

As OP asked about a "decent" upgrade, I find that the deluxe room at the GH is sufficient, which is a common upgrade from the standard room. The rooms are large. But yeah if being in a suite is important to you then use the SUA (this is true at any property)

Breakfast is at the lounge only. If you are paying cash you can always book the Priv rate which will get you restaurant breakfast, a one-category upgrade at booking (not guaranteed, but you will know immediately), some credit to use at the hotel, and an amenity of some sort, in exchange for paying the standard rate. Depending on the difference between the standard rate and the member rate, and the length of your stay, the hotel credit might make this a wash. I do this sometimes at hotels where I don't want the lounge breakfast, but at GH I prefer the lounge breakfast.
evergrn likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:50 am

Thanks for the replies. Given the breakfast situation, I have to lean towards the Park Hyatt then. Just wish the location was better.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've been upgraded to a suite without using a SUA at the GH. Like any other hotel, it depends on occupancy. It's not true that they "rarely" give them out. They follow the rules and give them out if they are available. I'm not sure what occupancy is like right now. It was crazy the last 2 times I've been; I'm not sure if it's settled down a bit.
This is for Wed/Thu/Fri night stay in April and it's not even the Golden Week, so you would think the occupancy's not high. But it looks really busy because the cash rate at PH is 160k + tax/fees per night and the HR is sold out.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for the replies. Given the breakfast situation, I have to lean towards the Park Hyatt then. Just wish the location was better.

This is for Wed/Thu/Fri night stay in April and it's not even the Golden Week, so you would think the occupancy's not high. But it looks really busy because the cash rate at PH is 160k + tax/fees per night and the HR is sold out.
April/May is one of the best time to visit Tokyo.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

April is always really busy. It's Sakura season. It's definitely high season. Fall is popular too, though to a lesser extent. Summer (hot and humid) and winter (cold and rainy) are the less popular, cheaper times.

HR availability has been strange lately. They will show that they are sold out and then a few days later they will show that there cheap rooms available. I have no idea what's going on. But I'll bet that if you keep looking, you can find availability between now and then.

If you are ok with something the quality of the HR (nice, but not luxury) then I would suggest that you check back every week or so because you can probably save a lot of money over what you are going to pay at PH. Of course you can still book PH in the meantime, but there's always the option to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

Personally I would choose location over breakfast every time. This is not like lounge breakfast in the US; it's actually good. And as I said, there's always the Priv option so there's no reason you can't have both. You still get all your status benefits and earnings with Priv; the only downside is that you are paying standard rate instead of member rate. I've gone through Kristen Nix for Priv bookings before (she is probably the first TA who will show up if you search for Priv Travel Agent) and she was great (but most travel agents can book these rates)

If restaurant breakfast instead of lounge breakfast is important to you in general, I would suggest using Priv a lot (not just for this trip). I think that you will find that it gets you exactly what you are looking for for either the same price, or slightly more (and sometimes slightly less)
LeastP likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold

Not sure if you are getting some special rate at the PH, but the difference between a PH room and GH is usually several 10Ks which would be more than enough to cover restaurant breakfast at the GH (if you choose not do Priv) and then some.

And as others have mentioned, the rates do seem to fluctuate quite a bit, so you may want to keep checking to see if the rates come down and/or rooms become available.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you are ok with something the quality of the HR (nice, but not luxury) then I would suggest that you check back every week or so because you can probably save a lot of money over what you are going to pay at PH. Of course you can still book PH in the meantime, but there's always the option to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

Personally I would choose location over breakfast every time. This is not like lounge breakfast in the US; it's actually good. And as I said, there's always the Priv option so there's no reason you can't have both. You still get all your status benefits and earnings with Priv; the only downside is that you are paying standard rate instead of member rate. I've gone through Kristen Nix for Priv bookings before (she is probably the first TA who will show up if you search for Priv Travel Agent) and she was great (but most travel agents can book these rates)

If restaurant breakfast instead of lounge breakfast is important to you in general, I would suggest using Priv a lot (not just for this trip). I think that you will find that it gets you exactly what you are looking for for either the same price, or slightly more (and sometimes slightly less)
I think we're hoping for something more luxurious than HR.
For me, the hotel breakfast buffet is one of the highlights any time I stay in a Tokyo hotel. I love Andaz for its pool area and the view, but their breakfast buffet (pre-Covid) was a bit lacking. That's kind of why I'm thinking about not staying there this time.
I'll have to look into Prive. Thanks again.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
I posted some recent photos of the Andaz breakfast here.
benjahman likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:24 pm

HC Ginza vs HH Shibuya vs Andaz Toranomon Hills

~3 nights, globalist, 2 adults + 2 young kids. Andaz and Centric said they'd accommodate us in their two twin rooms and we're fine with that space. HH would be two separate rooms. This will be the tail end of a month in Japan and comes immediately after one week at HR Yokohama.

Curious how these would break down for the following:

Not too stressed about seeing anything in particular. Just want to be in a cool area to explore what's around us and we will probably have some friends meet up with us. Flying out of NRT on the evening of checkout, if that makes a difference.

Room
We care about nice views and nice bathrooms. Space is also nice but less of a priority. Could possibly use an SUA at the Centric.

Spa/Pool
Bonus points for a nice pool and sauna.

Any other miscellaneous amenities/comments are welcome. Thanks so much!

Last edited by projectmaximus; Dec 24, 2023 at 9:43 pm
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The original question is quite difficult now, as there are now nine Tokyo hotels that can be booked through the Hyatt website (10 if you count "Hyatt Regency Tokyo Bay" as a Tokyo Hyatt).

Even with PHT taking a year long hiatus, finding a definitive answer to this question has become quite difficult.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:45 pm

HH not opening till late Feb so no real data points. Friends will be staying there end of March so will see. Rooms will be basic but look roomy for Japan. Bath will be basic. Has pool though and quite easy to get around from there. I like the brand on the US for fam stays.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
HC Ginza vs HH Shibuya vs Andaz Toranomon Hills

~3 nights, globalist, 2 adults + 2 young kids. Andaz and Centric said they'd accommodate us in their two twin rooms and we're fine with that space. HH would be two separate rooms. This will be the tail end of a month in Japan and comes immediately after one week at HR Yokohama.

Curious how these would break down for the following:

Not too stressed about seeing anything in particular. Just want to be in a cool area to explore what's around us and we will probably have some friends meet up with us. Flying out of NRT on the evening of checkout, if that makes a difference.

Room
We care about nice views and nice bathrooms. Space is also nice but less of a priority. Could possibly use an SUA at the Centric.

Spa/Pool
Bonus points for a nice pool and sauna.

Any other miscellaneous amenities/comments are welcome. Thanks so much!
Only Andaz has the last 2. Nice views and a nice pool/sauna. The HH has some different views and probably a lesser pool.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:13 pm

Reposting this here as I think this is a better spot for it.

Currently debating between PHT and GHT

It will be our first time in Tokyo exploring the sites for a couple days before our night in Hakone, which we plan to use the Odayku Romance car at Shinjuku station. I am leaning more towards GHT because of the location; however, shuttle ride to Shinjuku station would make traveling around not too big of a deal? Also 10-15 minute walk isn't an absolutely deal breaker.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo is more expensive overall (1k more in UR points) because the last two days only have club access availability, but I am told the Grand Club at GHT is pretty dope for breakfast buffet and evening cocktails with a view but unsure if I am cheating myself out of experiencing all the food Tokyo has to offer. No status at Hyatt so I won't get any freebies at either location. Will be traveling with my brother so "romance" isn't what we're looking for lol.

Will be staying at Park Hyatt Kyoto the night before arrival in Tokyo.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bedejay
Reposting this here as I think this is a better spot for it.

It will be our first time in Tokyo exploring the sites for a couple days before our night in Hakone, which we plan to use the Odayku Romance car at Shinjuku station. I am leaning more towards GHT because of the location; however, shuttle ride to Shinjuku station would make traveling around not too big of a deal? Also 10-15 minute walk isn't an absolutely deal breaker.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo is more expensive overall (1k more in UR points) because the last two days only have club access availability, but I am told the Grand Club at GHT is pretty dope for breakfast buffet and evening cocktails with a view but unsure if I am cheating myself out of experiencing all the food Tokyo has to offer. No status at Hyatt so I won't get any freebies at either location. Will be traveling with my brother so "romance" isn't what we're looking for lol.

I would not pay more in points to stay at GH and it's your chance to see an iconic hotel before the closure and renovations. I'd choose PH, if using the Romance Car. It's easy get to the platform from the PH shuttle drop off point. L Tower and opposite the Odakyu department store sign.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by bedejay
<snip>
Frankly, both will likely be a let-down after Park Hyatt Kyoto. We only did dinner at New York Bar and Grill, but walking through the entry area of PH Tokyo was impressive, in an old-school way. Grand Hyatt read as dated luxury to me, as well. Neither were on the level of PH Kyoto, if I were to rank them.

I don't think I'd pay more for GH than PH, and seeing PH before the renovation might be interesting.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I've only been to GHT while as a Member on business trip (so always base room, no upgrades) and PH last year as a Globalist, so experiences aren't the same. However I agree with the two posts above - I wouldn't pay more for GHT, and I think the true highlight for PHT for me wasn't the room (I was upgraded to a Deluxe, not a suite), but the entire hotel in general and the service/hospitality I got while staying there. It will be your last chance to see it before its renovation, which although it is great it's getting one, I thought it aged pretty well all things considered. Also might be last chance to see it as "pictured in the famous movie 'Lost in Translation' ".

I also don't think PH is an overly romantic spot or anything (I stayed with a friend who had a quick layover in Tokyo on his way to Shanghai) and it was still a great experience. He got the western style and I got the Japanese style breakfast so it was nice to see what both types offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.