Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:14 pm

what level hgp are you?

I'd feel slightly uncomfortable at check in.... esp if you are diamond.
we were considering this location for xmas, but decided to go to either cabo (if initial buz is positive) or Jamaica....
thanks for your helpful report.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
I'd feel slightly uncomfortable at check in.... esp if you are diamond.
we were considering this location for xmas, but decided to go to either cabo (if initial buz is positive) or Jamaica....
thanks for your helpful report.
I'm Diamond. I absolutely loved this property, except the check in process. I haven't been to the Cabo property yet, and really want to try the Jamaica property. But I would def suggest going to Zilara Cancun. We really enjoyed it, and we didn't let one bad apple ruin the experience for us.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:39 pm

glad to hear that

We are traveling with our older kids for xmas... so we can go to zilara (19 & 23 ) but will try cabo. Had gone to pv last year, during what should have been soft opening. Like the value of points on AI at hyatt.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I just completed a 2 night getaway with my wife. We enjoyed ourselves. I reserved the pick up/drop off from the hotel the night before. I'm happy I did that, as our driver was waiting for us and got us to the hotel in 20 minutes. The Lincoln Navigator was clean, and very cold, which was very welcomed in a hot Cancun.

Check In, this was the one and only downside of the stay. They took me to a room to check in, and the gentleman was not the friendliest. He was borderline rude, and we had an oh oh thought with him. He mentioned 5 times, yes I counted, that we were using points. At one point my wife spoke up and asked what the point was. I saw others with Champagne, we were not offered. I was told since I was using points, I couldn't book 2 of the restaurants and since I was using points, I was given the best room available, again, with points... Room wasn't ready at 145pm, which is not a problem, I was asked to return at 3pm, I decided to come back at 230pm and it was ready.

The room itself, is very comfortable. I would not use the hot tub as it looked a bit too beat up for my taste. Bed was comfortable, shower was nice, with a window where we could see the ocean. It was on the 7th floor, which we were thankful for. The one side was blocked by a wall, but the other side was not, with our neighbors always being on the balcony and always wanting to chit chat. We didn't stay much in the room, so this wasn't an issue.

The beach has been criticized a bit with seaweed, but it really wasn't that bad. On Friday the beach was choppy, with some seaweed. We had a chance to jump in for about an hour, then we got to enjoy the pool. On Saturday, the seaweed had cleared out, and we spent the entire day at the beach. We spent from 730am until 7pm in the Cabana. We had no issue getting a cabana beach front on Friday, Sat or Sunday. People were mostly hanging out by the pool, but when I go to a beach front hotel, I'm going for the beach not the pool. I'm a beach person as is my wife, I can go anywhere for a pool. The water was smooth all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

The pool was also nice and relaxful. The music wasn't loud, they do have a swim up bar, and the water temperature was fantastic. I didn't spend much time in the pool, but a pool person would enjoy it.

Drinks were fantastic, with the Tequila freely flowing. It was fantastic to just order what you wanted as many times as you wanted. No issues getting what I wanted when I wanted.

Food, this is where it is slightly off. The Buffet is good, and Asiana was ok. Pelicans was pretty bad, and Maria's was not very good either. For a 2 day stay, we were fine with the Buffet and Asiana. The lounge had some good wings and good snacks. Note, you can't take the food out of the lounge. We were going to take some chips up to our room, but we were stopped and told to order room service. No problem with that, just wish they had a sign that stated no taking out food. The restaurants are open until 11pm, and the lounge is 24 hours. This is fantastic!

Entertainment, the show was good on Saturday. They do a show in the center lobby at 8pm until 830pm. At 9pm they start the music at the lobby bar. The Friday entertainer was very good and got people involved. The Saturday music was lacking as they had some issues with the sound system.

At the end of the trip, 25K points per night, was a wonderful value. We wanted to try the Jamaica Zilara, but we couldn't find last minute cheap fares on Southwest, but did find a steal to cancun for 6K points from MDW.

The service was fantastic from everyone. Everyone was very friendly, and it was great to not have prices on menus and just order what you want. This all inclusive is fantastic and I'll be looking at booking Cabo or Jamaica in the next year. I would def stay here again.

FYI, the swim up suites look pretty gross. They are on the ground level, and you have people just drinking in the pool all day, spilling there drinks in the water consistently. I would highly suggest to NOT book those rooms. Those rooms offer 0 privacy and you have to share with loud obnoxious people. Otherwise, I didn't see many people acting routy except for those rooms.
lol... by repeating the use of pts, sounded as that the concierge / check-in agent was looking for some green stuff. Any thoughts?
Wonder if anyone could get upgrades like ocean-front room or dinner reservation with some tips during check in?

Last edited by danhouston; Sep 22, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:03 am

Funny you mentioned the tip thing, my wife actually mentioned if they had a recommendation on tips, and he told us no tips expected as it's all "inclusive" BUT, if they go over the top, a tip is appreciated. We still tipped restaurant waiters and bar staff. Some more than others. I felt a bit weird just eating and walking up and leaving, so i did leave some tips. More for people who were genuine with the service.

Again, I had a fantastic stay here, if you are looking for a 2-3 day getaway, this is the place. I never left the resort. If it was a 5 day stay, I think I would be a bit tired of it, but for 2-3 days or long weekends, this is a great use of points. It's like a cruise on land, and I hate cruises, but this place is a great value for points. All rooms face the ocean.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Funny you mentioned the tip thing, my wife actually mentioned if they had a recommendation on tips, and he told us no tips expected as it's all "inclusive" BUT, if they go over the top, a tip is appreciated. We still tipped restaurant waiters and bar staff. Some more than others. I felt a bit weird just eating and walking up and leaving, so i did leave some tips. More for people who were genuine with the service.

Again, I had a fantastic stay here, if you are looking for a 2-3 day getaway, this is the place. I never left the resort. If it was a 5 day stay, I think I would be a bit tired of it, but for 2-3 days or long weekends, this is a great use of points. It's like a cruise on land, and I hate cruises, but this place is a great value for points. All rooms face the ocean.
thks for additional input. did a concierge contact you before the arrival whom you checked in with that person or someone else?
previously stayed at resorts in vegas where tips mostly got an upgrade to a suite from a standard room on weekdays or off-peak time... curious if would make a difference at zilara?

Last edited by danhouston; Sep 24, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had a question regarding the use of Chase Free Nights at Hyatt Zilara Cancun. Would they allow 4 adults on a Chase free night reservation or would they cap it at 2 adults? Or would there be an all inclusive supplement for the 3rd and 4th adult? I checked some dates and verified that the property does allow 4 adults in rooms (hoping to book a room with 2 double beds).
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Originally Posted by mastermc54
I had a question regarding the use of Chase Free Nights at Hyatt Zilara Cancun. Would they allow 4 adults on a Chase free night reservation or would they cap it at 2 adults? Or would there be an all inclusive supplement for the 3rd and 4th adult? I checked some dates and verified that the property does allow 4 adults in rooms (hoping to book a room with 2 double beds).
I thought they capped it at 2 adults for booking with points.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:10 pm

Could someone comment on seaweed situation on the beach and in the ocean? Also, I see that a lot of people complain on chairs availability at the pool? But what about the beach? Do the chairs at the beach have umbrellas?

Thank you!
D
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by DIMKA448
Could someone comment on seaweed situation on the beach and in the ocean? Also, I see that a lot of people complain on chairs availability at the pool? But what about the beach? Do the chairs at the beach have umbrellas?

Thank you!
D
Have not been there in a few months but the seaweed was pretty bad. They were trying to gather and then bury it on some of the mornings to clear the beach. The only issue we had with it was it was pretty scratchy if you were to wade into the ocean and left some scrapes on us, although minor.

The cabanas near the pool were taken each morning by 8 AM so we never had one. They did clear out towards the afternoon. Mostly people just left stuff on them and were not seen for hours which stinks IMO. The beach cabanas were always available and do have shade provided by side and top curtains.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ronbo83
Have not been there in a few months but the seaweed was pretty bad. They were trying to gather and then bury it on some of the mornings to clear the beach. The only issue we had with it was it was pretty scratchy if you were to wade into the ocean and left some scrapes on us, although minor.

The cabanas near the pool were taken each morning by 8 AM so we never had one. They did clear out towards the afternoon. Mostly people just left stuff on them and were not seen for hours which stinks IMO. The beach cabanas were always available and do have shade provided by side and top curtains.
Thanks, we just booked 5 day trip at the end of January. Hopefully by then seaweed would not be such an issue. We are beach people as thats the whole point to go the beach resort in Caribbean/Mexico! To hang out around the pool we could do virtually anywhere else in the world. Good to know that beach cabanas are in not such demand as those around a pool.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by Sunburn644
I thought they capped it at 2 adults for booking with points.
I also believe that to be the case. mastermc54 - you may want to contact the hotel directly. It's possible they'll allow the extra two people to stay in the room if they pay a cash supplement. If you go this route it would probably be best to get the arrangement in writing (email) so that there's no confusion at check-in.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:42 am

Thanks, we just booked 5 day trip at the end of January. Hopefully by then seaweed would not be such an issue. We are beach people as thats the whole point to go the beach resort in Caribbean/Mexico! To hang out around the pool we could do virtually anywhere else in the world. Good to know that beach cabanas are in not such demand as those around a pool.
I'm a beach person and I'm amazed at all the people who go to Cancun just to sit at a pool. I had no issue getting a Cabana that was covered at any time of the day.

As far as seaweed, honestly, find a clear path in, and you will be ok. Once you go 10 feet out it's clear. It really didn't bother us at all. I actually was good with it, as no one was in the water.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mastermc54
double occupancy with points. since the place is all-inclusive, think the rates for extra person will likely be more using either points or cash

Thank you!
D
just came back after a 3 days stay last week...seaweed was not much as i had seen/heard as earlier this summer's, and seemed to get more cleared out later in the day. actually enjoyed the water /waves on the last day when the sun finally came out after constant rain on the previous 2 days! wish it were mostly sunny or nice, but oh well nothing can do about the mother nature, ending up eating & drinking more on those days without much to do, lol... also, got upgraded to a room on the 5th floor & reservation to the chef's plate, but didn't go as wife preferred to go back to asiana

Last edited by danhouston; Oct 27, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:45 pm

Platinum member here and wondering if the resort allow late check out (our flight isn't until 7pm). A little nervous after reading one of the comment saying booking with points restricts your access to certain restaurants (they don't have that many to begin with so this would be unfortunate). Anyone have any other experience with this? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.