Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara Cancun REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by Cubswin
Loved your review on your blog meecal, thanks!
Thank you so much for the feedback!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Currently at the property...a few pointers.

If you value privacy, stop reading and cancel all of your future reservations. This hotel offers none. I'll second the other poster's thoughts on the connecting room. It's like you are living with your neighbors as you hear everything. The highest category suite below presidential suite (currently in), Premium Deluxe/Luxury Suites have one of the worst locations at the resort. They all have connecting doors and the ice machine is right outside your door. Atrocious. Although these room types have reserved cabanas out on the beach, they are placed extremely closed to one another so if you have a loud neighbor or a neighbor who smokes, it's hell. Also, it's a mega resort with mega resort crowd, so expect no privacy whatsoever. The beach is also mediocre with tons of seaweed floating in the ocean - not very pleasant. The room rates are as low as 359 all in per night all inclusive for 2. You get exactly what you pay for.

If you typically value privacy and enjoy Park Hyatts, I would highly recommend avoid this property or adjust your expectations accordingly.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Currently at the property...a few pointers.

If you value privacy, stop reading and cancel all of your future reservations. This hotel offers none. I'll second the other poster's thoughts on the connecting room. It's like you are living with your neighbors as you hear everything. The highest category suite below presidential suite (currently in), Premium Deluxe/Luxury Suites have one of the worst locations at the resort. They all have connecting doors and the ice machine is right outside your door. Atrocious. Although these room types have reserved cabanas out on the beach, they are placed extremely closed to one another so if you have a loud neighbor or a neighbor who smokes, it's hell. Also, it's a mega resort with mega resort crowd, so expect no privacy whatsoever. The beach is also mediocre with tons of seaweed floating in the ocean - not very pleasant. The room rates are as low as 359 all in per night all inclusive for 2. You get exactly what you pay for.

If you typically value privacy and enjoy Park Hyatts, I would highly recommend avoid this property or adjust your expectations accordingly.
Not good to hear, as i plan to be there around mid oct. Was it your first time or had been there more than once when didn't detect previous concerns ? Was aware of the seaweed problem in most caribbean beaches this yr... hope / wish the seaweed would be less of a nuisance later in the fall... about the connecting rooms, hope that zilara could accommodate a request for a non-connecting one upon check-in. Any other issues while you were there or more tips/advice? thanks
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
What more can BlissWorld say? You can read by his comments that this was first visit. Only a moron would repeat going through this twice. I can see how certain people would enjoy such a place. Likewise, many would be sick for making such a decision.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:22 pm

Wow, I find some of these recent reviews pretty unbelievable. We absolutely loved the Zilara, and can't imagine anyone not being happy there. We stayed 4 nights on a combo of certificates and points and always received exceptional service.
A couple of points for anyone with future stays. There is little reason to spend extra for an upgraded room. The standard rooms are large and luxurious with direct ocean views. The food and drinks are all very good and easily accessible. If you don't feel like leaving the room you have room service and in room bar. The chefs table sounded interesting, but reviews didn't make it sound like the end all be all. We went for our anniversary and were afraid eating only at the resort restaurants wouldn't be special enough. So we planned to do a night out at one our favorites, but decided not to since we were so happy with the food quality at Zilara. But to me that would be a better option than upgrading if I was on a long stay since it's NOT a mega resort (as a previous poster stated) with 20 different restaurants. But that's a good thing, because you feel like the servers actually remember you and it's not a hike to get from your room to the beach like it is at some resorts.
We never had any trouble finding Bali beds that were available for regular guests. The drink service on the bed was outstanding. Literally one after another. I still dream about their guava mojitos made with fresh guavas.
Last March the beach was beautiful and clear of seaweed. It's a shame that the area has been so affected by the seaweed, but as I understand it that is something that is affecting the entire area. There is only so much that can be done to combat mother nature.
I also wouldn't use the hotel car service, mainly because it is overpriced. I have been coming to Cancun for years and use Canada transfers. They are only about $50 R/t and greet you with lemon scented towels and cold beer. Never had them be late or mix things up.
I totally understand that two different people can have wildly different experiences, but I would really hate for someone to get scared or pass up this property based on the past few posters.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Peridot83
Wow, I find some of these recent reviews pretty unbelievable. We absolutely loved the Zilara, and can't imagine anyone not being happy there. We stayed 4 nights on a combo of certificates and points and always received exceptional service.
Thanks for providing additional perspective. I think its important to realize that there are many extreme views and reviews on FT and other sites and we are never really quite sure of a persons motivation in making an extreme post, either positive or negative.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Hyatt Zilara Cancun (Open 11/15/13) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I've recently spent nine nights at this property and couldn't disagree more with BlissWorld. We found tons of privacy, incredible staff & service. The food was very good. We found Zilara Cancun to be an overall excellent property.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:25 am

does anyone happen to know that specific requests / inquiries in advance (e.g. room & dining preferences) sent to the concierge before arrival may help or make a difference? or, best wait to be there to ask... may be some tips should help. Wonder if the concierge or front desk staff could better accommodate more in those areas? thks in advance

Last edited by danhouston; Sep 8, 2015 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
does anyone happen to know that specific requests / inquiries in advance (e.g. room & dining preferences) sent to the concierge before arrival may help or make a difference? or, best wait to be there to ask... may be some tips should help. Wonder if the concierge or front desk staff could better accommodate more in those areas? thks in advance
We were celebrating our 10th anniversary and I notified the concierge of that prior to arrival. I was hoping we might get lucky and get a free upgrade, but no such luck. But as I stated we were more than happy with our standard room. I believe the resort was pretty heavily booked though. But when we checked in they had left us a small cake that said happy anniversary, a bottle of champagne, and a bottle of wine. The bed also had a heart of rose petals and towel swans. They redid this several times throughout our stay. Also at several restaurants we were congratulated so it was clearly notated next to our names when you check in with the hostess.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83
We were celebrating our 10th anniversary and I notified the concierge of that prior to arrival. I was hoping we might get lucky and get a free upgrade, but no such luck. But as I stated we were more than happy with our standard room. I believe the resort was pretty heavily booked though. But when we checked in they had left us a small cake that said happy anniversary, a bottle of champagne, and a bottle of wine. The bed also had a heart of rose petals and towel swans. They redid this several times throughout our stay. Also at several restaurants we were congratulated so it was clearly notated next to our names when you check in with the hostess.
thanks! will take a stab before arrival
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:24 pm

pardon my ignorance several have mentioned F&B not being included. what does F&B stand for? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure that out.
thanks
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by imnotarunner2
pardon my ignorance several have mentioned F&B not being included. what does F&B stand for? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure that out.
thanks
Probably food and beverages, but of course they are included.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:10 pm

Can't bring photographer? is there beach access

hi FT,
I wanted to hire a local photographer for a quick 30 min family photoshoot on the beach the hotel took a week to get back to me only to push their hotel photographer on me. If I bring mine it's 150USD. Noooo! I don't want to pay for the photographer to eat and use the all inclusive amentiies(Hotel is trying to rip me off)
So can someone tell me if there's a way to access the beach without walking through the Hyatt hotel? If not I will have to meet the photographer outside the Hyatt. What is outside the property as soon as you walk out the lobby? Hotels, restaurants or stores? I guess that'll be our backdrop if we can't get beach access Thank you everyone
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by booberroad
hi FT,
I wanted to hire a local photographer for a quick 30 min family photoshoot on the beach the hotel took a week to get back to me only to push their hotel photographer on me. If I bring mine it's 150USD. Noooo! I don't want to pay for the photographer to eat and use the all inclusive amentiies(Hotel is trying to rip me off)
So can someone tell me if there's a way to access the beach without walking through the Hyatt hotel? If not I will have to meet the photographer outside the Hyatt. What is outside the property as soon as you walk out the lobby? Hotels, restaurants or stores? I guess that'll be our backdrop if we can't get beach access Thank you everyone
It is a public beach so there are plenty of ways to get to it without entering the Hyatt. Right outside the property is not much. Few restaurants and stores, nothing nice to look at.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I just completed a 2 night getaway with my wife. We enjoyed ourselves. I reserved the pick up/drop off from the hotel the night before. I'm happy I did that, as our driver was waiting for us and got us to the hotel in 20 minutes. The Lincoln Navigator was clean, and very cold, which was very welcomed in a hot Cancun.

Check In, this was the one and only downside of the stay. They took me to a room to check in, and the gentleman was not the friendliest. He was borderline rude, and we had an oh oh thought with him. He mentioned 5 times, yes I counted, that we were using points. At one point my wife spoke up and asked what the point was. I saw others with Champagne, we were not offered. I was told since I was using points, I couldn't book 2 of the restaurants and since I was using points, I was given the best room available, again, with points... Room wasn't ready at 145pm, which is not a problem, I was asked to return at 3pm, I decided to come back at 230pm and it was ready.

The room itself, is very comfortable. I would not use the hot tub as it looked a bit too beat up for my taste. Bed was comfortable, shower was nice, with a window where we could see the ocean. It was on the 7th floor, which we were thankful for. The one side was blocked by a wall, but the other side was not, with our neighbors always being on the balcony and always wanting to chit chat. We didn't stay much in the room, so this wasn't an issue.

The beach has been criticized a bit with seaweed, but it really wasn't that bad. On Friday the beach was choppy, with some seaweed. We had a chance to jump in for about an hour, then we got to enjoy the pool. On Saturday, the seaweed had cleared out, and we spent the entire day at the beach. We spent from 730am until 7pm in the Cabana. We had no issue getting a cabana beach front on Friday, Sat or Sunday. People were mostly hanging out by the pool, but when I go to a beach front hotel, I'm going for the beach not the pool. I'm a beach person as is my wife, I can go anywhere for a pool. The water was smooth all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

The pool was also nice and relaxful. The music wasn't loud, they do have a swim up bar, and the water temperature was fantastic. I didn't spend much time in the pool, but a pool person would enjoy it.

Drinks were fantastic, with the Tequila freely flowing. It was fantastic to just order what you wanted as many times as you wanted. No issues getting what I wanted when I wanted.

Food, this is where it is slightly off. The Buffet is good, and Asiana was ok. Pelicans was pretty bad, and Maria's was not very good either. For a 2 day stay, we were fine with the Buffet and Asiana. The lounge had some good wings and good snacks. Note, you can't take the food out of the lounge. We were going to take some chips up to our room, but we were stopped and told to order room service. No problem with that, just wish they had a sign that stated no taking out food. The restaurants are open until 11pm, and the lounge is 24 hours. This is fantastic!

Entertainment, the show was good on Saturday. They do a show in the center lobby at 8pm until 830pm. At 9pm they start the music at the lobby bar. The Friday entertainer was very good and got people involved. The Saturday music was lacking as they had some issues with the sound system.

At the end of the trip, 25K points per night, was a wonderful value. We wanted to try the Jamaica Zilara, but we couldn't find last minute cheap fares on Southwest, but did find a steal to cancun for 6K points from MDW.

The service was fantastic from everyone. Everyone was very friendly, and it was great to not have prices on menus and just order what you want. This all inclusive is fantastic and I'll be looking at booking Cabo or Jamaica in the next year. I would def stay here again.

FYI, the swim up suites look pretty gross. They are on the ground level, and you have people just drinking in the pool all day, spilling there drinks in the water consistently. I would highly suggest to NOT book those rooms. Those rooms offer 0 privacy and you have to share with loud obnoxious people. Otherwise, I didn't see many people acting routy except for those rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.