Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:47 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Are you seriously equating the 50 villa Park Hyatt Maldives with the 1230 room Hyatt Regency Waikiki in terms of expectation of and cost of upgrades?
No, I am illustrating that hotels require a cash upgrade to guarantee a higher category room from the lowest category of Hyatts to the highest. Even for Diamonds let alone lowest tiers.

If it was a HR, GH, PH, Andaz or any other brand they have asking for the difference in cost between room types is an entirely reasonable and their business model.

Let us also not forget Nor1 upgrades for hotels that participate that allow anyone to pay cash for a confirmed at check in upgrade too.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I fully agree. Even as a top tier guest, regardless of chain, there are times when you are stuck in the room you pay for.

What I find odd is the reaction to the upgrade cost.

Many Diamonds who book the PH Maldives proactively pay hundreds of dollars to book a higher category villa because their is a difference in the rate. Why is an Andaz or even Hyatt Regency any different?

Any GP member can use points to upgrade to a suite if not cash so there are always mechanisms other than being a Diamond Guest or DSU.
The only difference between my room and the upgrade is the view...$175/night is, IMHO, silly. Pricing out various dates over the next year there is never a difference of more than $150. With SPG, they factor in the Gold upgrade in the price difference, even if upgrades might not be available. That would result in a much lower price. On top of that, most hotels tend to treat their mid-tier guests better than rack rate guests - and give them a price break.

Hyatt Andaz did none of these. It's their choice, and all I wanted to do was let the readers of flyertalk know what to expect if they aren't diamonds. I never felt like I was entitled to anything, but rather was surprised at the complete lack of benefits and recognition.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I honestly think that most Diamonds and Platinums are staying at the Hyatt Maui instead.

based on what? Number of rooms?

Andaz Maui has 297 rooms, HR Maui .. 806.

I don't know if that's what you meant, but by size alone, you might be right. Percentages might be a better metric and I doubt anybody with access to that information is going to post about it here.

They are very different properties in very different locations and the brands are designed to appeal to different types of guests.

-David
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
For all of us who have been disagreeing with manku's expectations, can we at least give him a break and agree with his point that there is a huge difference between the have and the have not (Diamond status, that is.)

I'm heading to Andaz Maui in January 2015. It may be great, but it is made all the better because I booked it for $150 + 12500points/nt x 7 nights with DSU, putting me in a $1000/nt suite for a week with $200 worth of breakfast for my family of 4. Paying $1K out of pocket for what someone else may be paying $8400. My $1K expectations will be less than the expectations of someone who paid $8400.

On the same vein, members on FT go on and on about how amazing the PH Vendome breakfast is. It WAS great as a Diamond, but I wouldn't have thought it was that great if I had to shelled out 50 euro/$75 a pop.

I'm saying this because I am writing from the HR Chicago (I have a meeting at the hotel next door), one of the less well received Hyatt properties. The room is rather average, but the newly renovated lounge is making my stay much more enjoyable than some 5 star hotel stays where I did not have status.

I paid my dues, but still, Hyatt's generous Diamond benefits makes it pretty fabulous.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
No, I am illustrating that hotels require a cash upgrade to guarantee a higher category room from the lowest category of Hyatts to the highest. Even for Diamonds let alone lowest tiers.

If it was a HR, GH, PH, Andaz or any other brand they have asking for the difference in cost between room types is an entirely reasonable and their business model.

Let us also not forget Nor1 upgrades for hotels that participate that allow anyone to pay cash for a confirmed at check in upgrade too.
It's funny you are the same person who used a suite upgrade at Waikiki but made a big stink about the type of room. Did you pay extra for a bigger suite? Did you not know what you paid for? Next time pay for what you expect to have.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
based on what? Number of rooms?

Andaz Maui has 297 rooms, HR Maui .. 806.

I don't know if that's what you meant, but by size alone, you might be right. Percentages might be a better metric and I doubt anybody with access to that information is going to post about it here.

They are very different properties in very different locations and the brands are designed to appeal to different types of guests.

-David
When I was there, they were at full occupancy and management told me I was one of 6 Diamonds. Lots of young (20-30year olds) Californians when I was there.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It's funny you are the same person who used a suite upgrade at Waikiki but made a big stink about the type of room. Did you pay extra for a bigger suite? Did you not know what you paid for? Next time pay for what you expect to have.
You mean when I asked the VIP Manager, why there were 2 beds in our suite as a gay couple without kids, who called us to see if we were happy, and he offered a higher category suite at no cost?

Stark difference: We would have accepted the Parlour Suite and I didn't demand or expect anything for free. 95% of my nights are at PH properties with average room rates of $500+/night. Even then I still proactively pay for higher category rooms.

Just yesterday I agreed to pay extra for a higher category suite at the GH HKG like many of the FTers in that thread suggest.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:13 am

You mean when I asked the VIP Manager, why there were 2 beds in our suite as a gay couple without kids, who called us to see if we were happy, and he offered a higher category suite at no cost?

Stark difference: We would have accepted the Parlour Suite and I didn't demand or expect anything for free. 95% of my nights are at PH properties with average room rates of $500+/night. Even then I still proactively pay for higher category rooms.

Just yesterday I agreed to pay extra for a higher category suite at the GH HKG like many of the FTers in that thread suggest.
I believe your post said you emailed the vip manager to let them know you were disappointed in the suite. As far as the being a gay couple, what does that have to do with it? Last time I checked, a suite or room type is not categorized by being a gay couple, or a family with kids. This is the guaranteed suite for a Diamond Upgrade and if you didn't want that, you should've paid for a suite instead of looking for a better category suite using a DSU.

So please, stop blaming the OP here who was not happy with there room as you did the same. It really doesn't help.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:15 am

FWIW, the Hyatt CC home page makes a big deal of the Platinum Status...it is one of the highlights of the card. A friend of mine just returned from the Napa Andaz using the same rewards and cc - he got an upgrade to a suite and free breakfast for being a platinum...which only confirms my impression that the Maui Andaz either dropped the ball with me or doesn't really take care of platinums.

Also, the day before I left I asked for late checkout. Our plane left OGG @ 2:50...I wanted to give us two hours minimum, so I asked for a 1:00 PM checkout. After about 10 miinutes, the front desk reluctantly agreed to it...and acted as if they were doing me a huge favor.

We ended up leaving at 11:30 AM, ate lunch at Flatbread in Paia, so the late checkout wasn't even necessary.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by manku
FWIW, the Hyatt CC home page makes a big deal of the Platinum Status...it is one of the highlights of the card. A friend of mine just returned from the Napa Andaz using the same rewards and cc - he got an upgrade to a suite and free breakfast for being a platinum...which only confirms my impression that the Maui Andaz either dropped the ball with me or doesn't really take care of platinums.
Subject to A-V-A-I-L-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y.

The way Hyatt treats its Elites simply doesn't work for you. Works for many of us. Not all. The others move on. ^
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Subject to A-V-A-I-L-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y.

The way Hyatt treats its Elites simply doesn't work for you. Works for many of us. Not all. The others move on. ^
Hyatt treats its elites great! I love Hyatt and they do a fantastic job, better than any airline or Hotel program, problem is this hotel doesn't do a great job.

Hyatt itself always goes above and beyond.

Hopefully they correct it moving forward. The main problem at this hotel, they do not look at future bookings of Diamonds coming in. Many Hyatts block the better rooms for Diamonds coming in. Even Hyatt Places's do this. It's very simple. They need some training in this department.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Agreed. Especially in Hawaii. I'm writing this from the Sheraton Maui and had I not been happy w deluxe ocean view room, I'd have expected to pay at least a hondo to upgrade further.

Probably going to dine at the Andaz tomorrow night. Maybe I'll check out the "worst room" they have while I'm there. :-:
Let me know which room it is. I may cancel my DSU and request it. You may be starting a trend here. Other Diamonds may request this worst room just to see if there is any validity to these frivolous complaints.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:58 pm

This is my last post.

First off, virtually everyone who is defending the hotel or disagreeing with me or whatever is A HYATT DIAMOND. It is clear to me that Hyatt, and the Andaz Maui, treats it's DIAMONDs very well.

Look back at my OP...it stated, clearly in the first paragraph or so, that I wanted to give my perspective from someone with PLATINUM status. That's all.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I could see why you were unhappy if you booked a specific bed type that was not delivered, but why do you assume that any couple would automatically want one bed?

My wife and I are light sleepers, so we sleep in separate beds whenever we can. I don't think that's particularly unusual...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by manku
This is my last post.

First off, virtually everyone who is defending the hotel or disagreeing with me or whatever is A HYATT DIAMOND. It is clear to me that Hyatt, and the Andaz Maui, treats it's DIAMONDs very well.

Look back at my OP...it stated, clearly in the first paragraph or so, that I wanted to give my perspective from someone with PLATINUM status. That's all.
I'm defending you and I'm a Diamond. They do not treat Diamonds well either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.