Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:24 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manku
The reason I posted about my experience is that virtually every other poster seems to be a Hyatt Diamond...they talk about their ocean view room, or lovely free breakfast.

I wanted to give a little perspective to those people who are thinking about staying at the Andaz Maui and are not Hyatt Diamonds.

I had a hunch we were going to be let down when I called the hotel after I made my initial reservation to see what type of upgrade we could get (either complimentary or purchased). At this point, the hotel was not nearly sold out (no convention), yet the only offer was an ocean view upgrade for $175 (+taxes) per night. I think the most I've ever paid for a non-suite upgrade is $75 at any hotel. The Kea Lani offered a full ocean on higher floor for a mere $60.00/night. The way were were treated there was the exact opposite of the Andaz - and it was the same situation (free CC nights). Fairmont has gained a customer who will be willing to try out their hotels in the future, which it seems is the entire purpose of these CC offers!

We still had a wonderful time after our initial disappointment (which, FWIW, was conveyed to management and corporate - both of whom did nothing -not even a return call or follow up!). If you can't enjoy Wailea, then you need to have your head examined!
So you were on a $0 rate and wanted to upgrade, but baulk at the cost?

Hmmmmm.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by thucanhho
"Enjoy a preferred room including rooms on higher floors or larger rooms, BASED ON AVAILABILITY upon arrival."

Most seasoned travelers with mid tier status are not feeling entitled to an upgrade. I have Gold status with Hilton, expect nothing and am happy with what I get (which is usually nothing above what I booked.)
Why bother with "status" if you expect nothing? Sounds like you're wasting your time with loyalty programs.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The reason I posted about my experience is that virtually every other poster seems to be a Hyatt Diamond...they talk about their ocean view room, or lovely free breakfast.

I wanted to give a little perspective to those people who are thinking about staying at the Andaz Maui and are not Hyatt Diamonds.

I had a hunch we were going to be let down when I called the hotel after I made my initial reservation to see what type of upgrade we could get (either complimentary or purchased). At this point, the hotel was not nearly sold out (no convention), yet the only offer was an ocean view upgrade for $175 (+taxes) per night. I think the most I've ever paid for a non-suite upgrade is $75 at any hotel. The Kea Lani offered a full ocean on higher floor for a mere $60.00/night. The way were were treated there was the exact opposite of the Andaz - and it was the same situation (free CC nights). Fairmont has gained a customer who will be willing to try out their hotels in the future, which it seems is the entire purpose of these CC offers!

We still had a wonderful time after our initial disappointment (which, FWIW, was conveyed to management and corporate - both of whom did nothing -not even a return call or follow up!). If you can't enjoy Wailea, then you need to have your head examined!
Thank you for your follow up. FWIW, many checkin agents do not mention status at all even for Diamonds. As to your room assignment, awards book into the lowest category room (Andaz room at this property) and Platinum status call for an upgrade to the best room available in the category reserved. You probably got a room in this category - upgrade within the category I'm not sure.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
So you were on a $0 rate and wanted to upgrade, but baulk at the cost?

Hmmmmm.
Yes...as I said in my post, I have zero issue paying a "reasonable" amount for an upgrade, however $175.00 is, IMO, obscene. I could give you a dozen examples of my upgrades (using points, which is also a $0 rate) that are anywhere from $25-75. And those often include not only a much better view, but a larger room (but not suite).

What I paid for the room is irrelevant, I think. Hyatt promotes the CC card, and it's free nights, very heavily. They solicited my business and application. They probably lose money on those people who just get the two nights after charging $1000. You would think they'd want the guests to have a great experience so they continue to use the card and Hyatt.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 am

Heading to Andaz today. I tired deciphering the free parking codes, but not sure if I got it other than that it was at some beach. Can someone who has parked there before PM me please.

update: Thanks for all the tips guys. will post an update after the trip.

Last edited by aegt123; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:15 am

Your stay at the Andaz was a free room rate to you, but was significant revenue to the Andaz Maui hotel owners because, as you said, the hotel was booked full due to the convention which means Hyatt Corporate paid the Andaz Maui near the average daily rate (~$350/n) for your free stay.

The other poster is just trolling.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
Your stay at the Andaz was a free room rate to you, but was significant revenue to the Andaz Maui hotel owners because, as you said, the hotel was booked full due to the convention which means Hyatt Corporate paid the Andaz Maui near the average daily rate (~$350/n) for your free stay.

I was told in that situation the hotel would receive $0.01 per point which would be $250.00 on a full point stay or $125.00 on a P&C which still comes to $250.00 for the hotel.
Is there any truth to that?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

We still had a wonderful time after our initial disappointment (which, FWIW, was conveyed to management and corporate - both of whom did nothing -not even a return call or follow up!).
What, specifically, did you expect them to do? Call and apologize? Make some post-stay offer? I'm sincerely curious as to what they could do, after the fact, to turn you around?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Why bother with "status" if you expect nothing? Sounds like you're wasting your time with loyalty programs.
We are talking about mid tier status. I am Hilton Gold through Hilton CC, so I do not feel entitled. So you correct, I do NOT waste my time with this loyalty program.

I am Hyatt Diamond and am over the moon happy with their generous benefits and hope Hyatt continues to be so generous. If I get upgraded beyond my 4 DSU, I am thrilled, rather than feeling entitled to more than generous benefits allowed to all Diamonds (namely 4 DSU, breakfast up to $200/nt for my family of 4.) Additionally they have amazing, quick, usually knowledgeable customer service, easy to accumulate points making aspirational properties very accessible. Because of the benefits, I plan my vacations around Hyatt properties and stay at other properties only when there is not a Hyatt conveniently located.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Colin

Actually, no I am not.

The property most likely charges the difference between the rate of the room he was in to the upgraded category.

Comparing one property's upgrade pricing with another is useless as every different property clearly has different rates, let alone room types. Add to that Hyatt uses a floating rate of the day and my point is clear.

Rule 1 of hotel programs: Book the room you want to stay in (with cash or points or some upgrade mechanism) and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by m0hamed; Jul 26, 2014 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:34 am

Actually, no I am not.

The property most likely charges the difference between the rate of the room he was in to the upgraded category.

Comparing one property's upgrade pricing with another is useless as every different property clearly has different rates, let alone room types. Add to that Hyatt uses a floating rate of the day and my point is clear.

Rule 1 of hotel programs: Book the room you want to stay in (with cash or points or some upgrade mechanism) and you won't be disappointed.
Your advice is horrible, John Roberts-like sophistry. The main benefit of hotel mid-tier status is to not get stuck in one of the worst rooms on the property. The whole point of FlyerTalk is advice on how to maximize the travel experience without paying the full cash price. No one needs FlyerTalk when he is just going to buy the full-fare nonstop first class ticket and pay the going rate for the beachfront villa. So, enough. It is perfectly fine for a person with mid-tier status to gripe on FlyerTalk that he got shoved into one of the worst rooms. Stop making the guy feel inferior because he used free night awards.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

Only thing I'd change is "book the room you're willing to stay in and not complain about getting shafted....."

And then hope and strategize for the best possible, reasonable upgrade.

Seriously, who books a room they aren't willing to stay in?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Only thing I'd change is "book the room you're willing to stay in and not complain about getting shafted....."

And then hope and strategize for the best possible, reasonable upgrade.

Seriously, who books a room they aren't willing to stay in?
I fully agree. Even as a top tier guest, regardless of chain, there are times when you are stuck in the room you pay for.

What I find odd is the reaction to the upgrade cost.

Many Diamonds who book the PH Maldives proactively pay hundreds of dollars to book a higher category villa because their is a difference in the rate. Why is an Andaz or even Hyatt Regency any different?

Any GP member can use points to upgrade to a suite if not cash so there are always mechanisms other than being a Diamond Guest or DSU.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I fully agree. Even as a top tier guest, regardless of chain, there are times when you are stuck in the room you pay for.

Many Diamonds who book the PH Maldives proactively pay hundreds of dollars to book a higher category villa because their is a difference in the rate. Why is an Andaz or even Hyatt Regency any different?
Are you seriously equating the 50 villa Park Hyatt Maldives with the 1230 room Hyatt Regency Waikiki in terms of expectation of and cost of upgrades?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. Especially in Hawaii. I'm writing this from the Sheraton Maui and had I not been happy w deluxe ocean view room, I'd have expected to pay at least a hondo to upgrade further.

Probably going to dine at the Andaz tomorrow night. Maybe I'll check out the "worst room" they have while I'm there. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.