Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
I think it is reasonable for a Platinum to except(sic) a few words of recognition at checkin and assignment to a room that is better than the worst rooms at the property. And, if only the worst room is available because the whole hotel is booked full with other Platinums and Diamonds, a few simple words of explanation for why.
"Reasonable expectations" are not "promised benefits". And we don't know that this was "the worst room at the property", only that the poster didn't like it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
What promised benefits were not delivered in this case? 2pm checkout? Free internet? Bonus points?

Sounds more like the poster was dissatisfied in general, not that any kind of "promised benefits" weren't delivered.
An upgraded/preferred room is a benefit. Just because this member is Platinum, and not Diamond, doesn't make the room assignment any worse. It is a published benefit so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something on a higher floor. It's very possible that the group took away a nicer room so if that is the case, then it's just bad luck. But an explanation by the hotel would always be helpful.

With that said, the check-in experience and the room assignment were probably the beginning of a giant snowball for a poor experience at this hotel.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by kenbo
An upgraded/preferred room is a benefit. Just because this member is Platinum, and not Diamond, doesn't make the room assignment any worse. It is a published benefit so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something on a higher floor. It's very possible that the group took away a nicer room so if that is the case, then it's just bad luck. But an explanation by the hotel would always be helpful.

With that said, the check-in experience and the room assignment were probably the beginning of a giant snowball for a poor experience at this hotel.
So you're upset because you were given the room for which you paid?

Hawaii is known to have lots and lots of Diamond level members staying at properties. As you know, the really nice rooms go to people who are paying for those rooms and then to Diamond members.

Your disappointment and annoyance could have easily been avoided had you booked the room you really wanted, which is obviously something very different for which you paid.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 am

I have all the major hotel chain Credit Cards...all of them give you a bump to the second tier (or first, depending on spending). I could be wrong, but I don't believe the hotels are aware of how you have gained your membership status (stays vs cc).

At the Kea Lani, where we stayed just prior, gave up an upgraded room and $300 in F&B, as we are Premier (second level) members being holders of the CC.

At the Fess Parker in Santa Barbara, we get an upgraded room and some other stuff (higher speed internet, bonus points) since I have the Citibank Reserve Card.

My SPG Gold has almost always gotten me an upgraded room, and recognition from the front desk.

I could go on with every single chain - even the smaller ones where you just have to sign up on line. I'm not expecting the presidential suite upgrade, but something would be nice!

What's the point of promoting a service if it provides ZERO benefits?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I stayed at the property a few weeks ago with my husband and 13 year old daughter. We loved everything about the property and we plan to go back to the Andaz.

On one of the mornings, we were going on a tour that required us to be at the location at 6:00am (thereby missing out on free breakfast at the hotel). At check in, I told the rep about our plans for leaving early one morning. He graciously gave us a $95 credit at Makapu Market (open 24 hours) and we grabbed our breakfast as we were heading out the door.

Since this is a semi-anonymous forum....I can say that my husband is frugal about certain types of expenses (valet parking). We did not think we would like forced valet parking, however we never had to wait more than a minute or two and it was a nice touch.

This is not a complaint, but a statement of fact: our room was small. I'm use to larger rooms, but as I said earlier....we will be back (we had partial ocean view; it was nice). Loved the property.

Originally Posted by Colin
I think it is reasonable for a Platinum to except a few words of recognition at checkin and assignment to a room that is better than the worst rooms at the property. And, if only the worst room is available because the whole hotel is booked full with other Platinums and Diamonds, a few simple words of explanation for why.
My experience....when we got out of the car upon arriving at the hotel, the first question I was asked by the valet: Are you a diamond? I thought that was a strange question. I wasn't offended, but I thought it was strange.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
My experience....when we got out of the car upon arriving at the hotel, the first question I was asked by the valet: Are you a diamond? I thought that was a strange question. I wasn't offended, but I thought it was strange.
It is a strange question and my response would have been: "Why?"
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I stayed at the property a few weeks ago with my husband and 13 year old daughter. We loved everything about the property and we plan to go back to the Andaz.

On one of the mornings, we were going on a tour that required us to be at the location at 6:00am (thereby missing out on free breakfast at the hotel). At check in, I told the rep about our plans for leaving early one morning. He graciously gave us a $95 credit at Makapu Market (open 24 hours) and we grabbed our breakfast as we were heading out the door.

Since this is a semi-anonymous forum....I can say that my husband is frugal about certain types of expenses (valet parking). We did not think we would like forced valet parking, however we never had to wait more than a minute or two and it was a nice touch.

This is not a complaint, but a statement of fact: our room was small. I'm use to larger rooms, but as I said earlier....we will be back (we had partial ocean view; it was nice). Loved the property.

that was nice touch about the credit - we had a similar situation as we went to haleakala national park leaving at 3am so we missed out on one breakfast hahah but we grabbed few snacks to eat there. i guess i should have mentioned that while check in maybe next time !

We got back last saturday from this property. Stayed 5 nights, booked 5 standard nights via hyatt certificates and points + cash. This was our first non traditional resorts and I liked it. My wife on the other hand had to get use to the non traditional ways and look/feel of the property.

i was pleased that i got an upgrade full ocean view but standard room on 3rd floor. i'll try to write a more detail review when i get a chance but overall we were very happy with the service.

The only suggestion i would make for the poster who got the parking lot view...If i was you , i would have complained right when i saw the room and maybe they would have changed the room? they could have been full at that time but maybe just by asking would have lessened the situation.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by manku
It seems that virtually everyone here is a Hyatt Diamond...I'll post my 2 cents as a mere platinum.

I used the Hyatt CC rewards for four nights last month...the hotel was pretty open, but then it seems that a last minute group booked the remainder of the hotel selling it out.

We got zero platinum recognition, and among the worst rooms in the house (overlooking parking lot on 5th floor)...the only good thing about our room was we didn't have to take the elevator during our stay...the 5th floor is the main/lobby floor. The rooms themselves (at least the standard ones) are very small and cramped for an Hawaiian luxury resort. The design is for a couple, not a family.

The breakfast may be great, but I'm not paying $200 (for my family of 4) for some muffins, fruit and coffee. At $45, it is the most expensive buffet breakfast in the state of Hawaii, I believe.

Valet parking (and $30 fee) is annoying, but other hotels also have it...such is life.

I found service ranged between overbearing and totally aloof and absent. I once went into lobby, and there wasn't an employee in sight (middle of day)...other times, there would be a half dozen standing around, doing nothing. Personally, I prefer the traditional counter. Also, it felt weird trying to talk to them...it always felt like I was interrupting them.

The pools look nice, but really aren't great for swimming or playing (the whole vibe of the hotel seems to discourage the presence of children). Also, there is very little shade and grass. It seems more like a Miami Hotel (or Cancun) than a Hawaiian Hotel.

Beach is nice in AM, gets too windy in PM...limited amount of chairs/umbrellas - get there early to set up.

Nicest part of stay was sitting on grassy area by beach during sunset...no other guests any night!

For $250-300/night, I might stay again...however, it's not in the same league as the Kea Lani or FS, IMHO.
If you were surprised by not getting an upgraded room for a reservation made with free night certificates, as a Platinum member at a hotel that is widely documented in this forum to be full of Diamond members, and at a time when the hotel was sold out; you might need to adjust your expectations.

As for the rooms that are 'designed for a couple, not a family'; what part of the hotels website pictures of 2 queen beds squeezed together in a small room lead you to believe otherwise?

It's a shame you didn't have a better stay, but perhaps you would have had at least a slightly better experience if you had gone in with more realistic expectations.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
So you're upset because you were given the room for which you paid?

Hawaii is known to have lots and lots of Diamond level members staying at properties. As you know, the really nice rooms go to people who are paying for those rooms and then to Diamond members.

Your disappointment and annoyance could have easily been avoided had you booked the room you really wanted, which is obviously something very different for which you paid.
It was not me who stayed at the hotel. I'm simply saying I don't think it was unreasonable for the member in question to expect a room on a higher floor when that is a benefit of Platinum status.

If a guest has a status that says they can get an upgraded room, whether it be on a higher floor, a Club room, a suite, etc., how many people are going to walk in there and be happy when they find out they're on the first/lobby floor?

As I mentioned earlier, it's entirely possible that the convention prevented an upgrade. Some communication from the staff would have been helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:29 pm

just got back from a 6 night stay on points+cash with DSU.

big thanks to canyonleo for the parking option that worked out great. for the record, I didn't see any no parking signs, although maybe I am just short-sighted!

there seem to be quite a few people nit-picking on this forum. I suppose if you stump up the rack rate, let alone $1200/night for a suite then you are entitled to be critical. I was thrilled with our room (third floor suite with limited view) and the other diamond benefits (2nd daily room refresh, free breakfasts). For the vast majority of the time, staff were very friendly and eager to assist. all in all, great place and a big thumbs up for the andaz concept.

just to be critical for the sake of it thou'... is there a reason they don't put more loungers on the beach? they seemed to be all taken by around 8am. and I'm not a fan of the residences they are finishing up on the south side of the property. I'm sure they are making a killing, but it's not a large resort and this eats up quite a lot of real estate.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
If you were surprised by not getting an upgraded room for a reservation made with free night certificates, as a Platinum member at a hotel that is widely documented in this forum to be full of Diamond members, and at a time when the hotel was sold out; you might need to adjust your expectations.

As for the rooms that are 'designed for a couple, not a family'; what part of the hotels website pictures of 2 queen beds squeezed together in a small room lead you to believe otherwise?

It's a shame you didn't have a better stay, but perhaps you would have had at least a slightly better experience if you had gone in with more realistic expectations.
Couldn't have said it any better!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kenbo
It was not me who stayed at the hotel. I'm simply saying I don't think it was unreasonable for the member in question to expect a room on a higher floor when that is a benefit of Platinum status.

If a guest has a status that says they can get an upgraded room, whether it be on a higher floor, a Club room, a suite, etc., how many people are going to walk in there and be happy when they find out they're on the first/lobby floor?

As I mentioned earlier, it's entirely possible that the convention prevented an upgrade. Some communication from the staff would have been helpful.
"Enjoy a preferred room including rooms on higher floors or larger rooms, BASED ON AVAILABILITY upon arrival."

Most seasoned travelers with mid tier status are not feeling entitled to an upgrade. I have Gold status with Hilton, expect nothing and am happy with what I get (which is usually nothing above what I booked.)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
"Enjoy a preferred room including rooms on higher floors or larger rooms, BASED ON AVAILABILITY upon arrival."

Most seasoned travelers with mid tier status are not feeling entitled to an upgrade. I have Gold status with Hilton, expect nothing and am happy with what I get (which is usually nothing above what I booked.)
I am a very seasoned traveler with mid tier status in Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat and Hyatt Diamond. I have never stayed in one of the worst rooms on the lowest floor, next to a loud generator, or a back-alley view. Not a single time. The vast majority of the time, the check-in agent gives breath to my mid tier status and indicates a nice room, while a handful of times I have to request a nice room and view.

So, I formally call bullsh!t.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I find it odd that people keep on insisting that this hotel has a high amount of Diamonds. I really didn't see that. I saw people who consistently walked in and it looked like they had never stayed at a hotel before. The "this is the best hotel ever" comments were obvious they didn't stay at too many hotels.

I honestly think that most Diamonds and Platinums are staying at the Hyatt Maui instead.

Also, if a Diamond pays for a suite, you would think the best available would be given, this does not happen. They need to look at future bookings and assign the better rooms to the Diamonds, this is normal hotel operations, they seem to block your room until the day of arrival instead, and this causes several Diamonds to not get best room available.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:45 pm

The reason I posted about my experience is that virtually every other poster seems to be a Hyatt Diamond...they talk about their ocean view room, or lovely free breakfast.

I wanted to give a little perspective to those people who are thinking about staying at the Andaz Maui and are not Hyatt Diamonds.

I had a hunch we were going to be let down when I called the hotel after I made my initial reservation to see what type of upgrade we could get (either complimentary or purchased). At this point, the hotel was not nearly sold out (no convention), yet the only offer was an ocean view upgrade for $175 (+taxes) per night. I think the most I've ever paid for a non-suite upgrade is $75 at any hotel. The Kea Lani offered a full ocean on higher floor for a mere $60.00/night. The way were were treated there was the exact opposite of the Andaz - and it was the same situation (free CC nights). Fairmont has gained a customer who will be willing to try out their hotels in the future, which it seems is the entire purpose of these CC offers!

We still had a wonderful time after our initial disappointment (which, FWIW, was conveyed to management and corporate - both of whom did nothing -not even a return call or follow up!). If you can't enjoy Wailea, then you need to have your head examined!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.