Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Los Angeles/LAX/El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Los Angeles/LAX/El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
For a HP I was quite impressed with the breakfast options.... Almost on par with some of the more generic club lounges at HR's.
+1.

They upped the ante significantly at HP and actually serve some tasty dishes for breakfast these days.

The problem with the newer (non-converted Amerisuites) HP properties like Lax/El Segundo, far less space in the living quarters. The bathrooms are more spacious and modern, nothing fancy, but still nicer in comparison to many older HR or even GH properties.

As pointed out many times before, the average HP beats the average HR in the US by a mile, if you exclude factors like location and certain services like valet or room service. I care about the room and this is where HP is tough to beat.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:03 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Points posting issues

If you stay here, I hope you plan to contact HGP to get your points posted. I've had four stays this year On all 4 occasions, the points did not post. I had to contact HGP and/or the concierge on FT. Fortunately, they immediately and graciously post the points along with the retro bonus, so I'm a happy camper.

But seriously, the points NEVER post, not even once in four attempts. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "statistical evidence suggests points-posting issues at this property". I'm batting ZERO percent so far.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Two stays in a two week period.... for the first the Diamond amenity points didn't post, but for the second they did.
It's generic incompetence regarding this feature when staying at a HP, even though they always ask what you prefer.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If you stay here, I hope you plan to contact HGP to get your points posted. I've had four stays this year On all 4 occasions, the points did not post. I had to contact HGP and/or the concierge on FT. Fortunately, they immediately and graciously post the points along with the retro bonus, so I'm a happy camper.

But seriously, the points NEVER post, not even once in four attempts. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "statistical evidence suggests points-posting issues at this property". I'm batting ZERO percent so far.
I stayed this week and it auto posted ... but no diamond amenity points included.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had a good enough stay here, but after reading all the praise of this place on the board, I'll admit that my expectations were set too high.

Breakfast was a 'gong show' with too little food and drink for too many people. There was no hot water for tea, coffee ran out for 10 minutes, etc.

The room was fine, and there were no jets screaming overhead. But I'm not sure I'd rush back here unless there was a significant price break compared to the Hilton Garden Inn or the Residence Inn in El Segundo.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
First stay two days ago, was alright but I found the room a bit noisy from the neighbors around me (you can hear every word, especially the TV). Internet was not the best on the 5th floor either (tried a Skype call, it dropped all the time).

Breakfast... I was amazed how they stepped up the options!

Having another stay tonight with a departure ex LAX tomorrow at 9:30am so I thought it's a good property to go back to. I have a rental car so no need for the shuttle.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Waited 40 minutes for the shuttle bus at the airport, which was rather unpleasant. Room and bed were ok. Can confirm what someone said about thin walls and hearing people in the room next to you. The bed didn't look totally "fresh", bed sheet was "crumbled". Wake-up call never came. Had scheduled backup alarm on my phone. Shuttle bus wasn't there, took about 10 minutes. Breakfast was very crowded, didn't try anything. Overall - would probably not return.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I Know I'm Being Contradictory, But. . .

Similar issues with shuttle arrival and no wake up call, but. . .

Overall find it to be a pleasant hotel. Like many recent-build HP's it all but blurs the line between what an HP used to be and three-star. I continue to pick this hotel over several older full-serve competitors at LAX for anything close to the same money.

The shuttle problem is not enough resource. This property is trying to get by on only one shuttle that is not completely dedicated to serving LAX. That is an impossible proposition during evening crunch at the least.

Really liked both drivers I rode with and felt they were fully professional. Felt sorry for the poor pickup guy that nearly got gutted by the angry mob behind him, especially after he mentioned he had been on a non-airport pickup and left the hotel 10 minutes earlier. Not his fault the desk is making impossible ETA estimates. But improvement is appropriate.

Have any of you used the hotel as a base actually gone anywhere on public transit? Keep seeing the green line trains across the street and thinking I ought to stay another night and see something without renting a car. Or I could insist on being shuttled and leave people stuck at LAX.

Last edited by jayer; May 27, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
hanging bathroom doors are a problem

Nice location for in/out of LAX. Pickup from LAX on a Wednesday night took close to 30 mins after my call to the desk. LAX did have heavy traffic that night.

There is a new retail shopping center with a starbucks about 2 blocks away. Train stop is about a block away.

Breakfast was better than standard HP, but I still avoided most of it.

New property - rooms are nice looking - however some design/implementation problems.

I got stuck in the bathroom of room 527. I'm a strong guy, I felt like I was going to break the hanging glass door in order to get it open. The wheel/tracks have a problem once the door is half way shut - I made the mistake of completely closing the bathroom door - it doesn't have a full handle to grip on in order to pull it with the amount of force needed to get it open. My friend was able to get some leverage from the outside and create enough of a gap that I could then get a grip on the edge and push from there.

I'm sure that isn't or won't be the only room with that type of problem - really poor design for maintenance.

Yesterday, it took running the shower for close to 2-3 mins for the hot water to make it through the pipes, which is unfortunate - but I suppose it's from the hotel being lightly used yesterday and they went cheap on the construction and didn't properly insulate the hot water pipes.

--

If Hyatt House had a LAX shuttle, I would try that property for pre/post flight stay without a rental car.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I've spent far too much time at this property—four weeks already this year, and again right now—and have generally had a positive experience. Rooms are clean and new, staff is reasonably friendly and accommodating, HVAC works well, and water pressure is good.

I'll concede that the room doors aren't too well soundproofed: I rarely hear noise from the rooms next to/above/below me, but often from the rooms across the hall. Internet isn't great, but I've honestly almost never stayed anywhere that it is. I just tether my iPhone and forget about it.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the bathroom doors in any of the rooms I've stayed in, and I've never used the shuttle (though the 40+ minute waits I see mentioned above certainly sound miserable).

At ~$120 a night on MER and with good freeway access and free parking, while it's not perfect, I recommend this property fairly strongly.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:38 pm

wow the shuttle service really this bad? I have a night booked for Dec 19 and getting in at 10:30pm. 40 min wait for the shuttle won't be good as I have 3 kids traveling. The rate of $127 was what got me interested in booking. Now I wonder if I should go with either Renaissance or Embassy Suites, which I also have rooms reserved.. Got to decide on one only though.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by frenchie2
wow the shuttle service really this bad? I have a night booked for Dec 19 and getting in at 10:30pm. 40 min wait for the shuttle won't be good as I have 3 kids traveling. The rate of $127 was what got me interested in booking. Now I wonder if I should go with either Renaissance or Embassy Suites, which I also have rooms reserved.. Got to decide on one only though.
I saw multiple shuttles pass by for those other properties during my 30 min wait. The point of the 30 min wait was to avoid the $15-20 taxi ride for 2 miles, and still stay in a Hyatt property.

With three kids, don't wait, maybe not even for a more convenient shuttle. If Hyatt is your preferred chain, you can get a cab, pay the $25 group price, and get there. If you don't need a free return shuttle, can go to the Hyatt House vs Hyatt Place.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
With three kids, don't wait, maybe not even for a more convenient shuttle. If Hyatt is your preferred chain, you can get a cab, pay the $25 group price, and get there. If you don't need a free return shuttle, can go to the Hyatt House vs Hyatt Place.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't layover in LAX often. Are there minivan taxis that would seat 5 people besides the driver?

Oh what is "group price" that you mentioned?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by frenchie2
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't layover in LAX often. Are there minivan taxis that would seat 5 people besides the driver?

Oh what is "group price" that you mentioned?

Thanks!
Oh, I was just thinking a taxi for 2 would be $20 - add a few more bodies, and those get added as 'extras' on the meter
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
A few pics of the suite upgrade I got on my last stay there: (Seating area was as normal HP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.