Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by pequalsmd
Are mosquitoes much of an issue at the property? Wondering if we need to pack bug spray.
I am not sure if mosquitoes are a big problem but every room comes with bug spray
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:41 pm
h2d

Double post - deleted

Double post - deleted
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:42 pm
h2d

Breakfast update - no longer an 'a la carte' breakfast option

One update re breakfast - there is no longer a menu option available, solely the Great House Selection buffet at I believe $42++ pp. Having experienced both I would say this makes sense from a logistical perspective given the dishes were taking 30 odd minutes to serve at 40% occupancy. The selection has also been expanded as a result and is very good, it is however something to bear in mind if you are a light breakfast eater!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:46 am

Disappointed

currently here on the property and I’m quite disappointed in many levels. The hard product is quite good. The property is on beautiful beach at south end of St kitt overlooking neighbor Nevis. Having said that....soft product is less than desirable.
Starting with the whole “island time”....I get it that it’s a cultural thing but sometimes it’s not ridiculous to request for something and have it delivered more than an hour later.
Half the staff that we’ve encountered seemed less than thrilled to be working there. No smiles, no charm. Everything feels so perfunctory and mechanical. Breakfast in the restaurant is underwhelming compared to other park Hyatt’s and andaz property. Since the property looks very similar to andaz Maui, it is super underwhelming in that comparison. Add to the insult is the constant shortage of food on hand. There was a fish dish we wanted to try and it was it of stock all 3 days so far. They keep running out of fresh fruit to make juices. My kids wanted to use the sand toys and they were also out of it for the past 3 days. I don’t know if this is still issues with them opening only 2 months ago but overall, along with the booking process issues...I am super disappointed, especially since the property itself is beautiful.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by h2d
One update re breakfast - there is no longer a menu option available, solely the Great House Selection buffet at I believe $42++ pp. Having experienced both I would say this makes sense from a logistical perspective given the dishes were taking 30 odd minutes to serve at 40% occupancy. The selection has also been expanded as a result and is very good, it is however something to bear in mind if you are a light breakfast eater!
We were given both buffet and a la carte option during our stay in first week of January.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Amex MR, AA, HH, Chase Saphire
Thumbs up reggae beach bar

We're going for a 3 day visit in February and wanted to see if the Reggae Beach Bar has been visited by anyone posting reviews? Based on pictures and such, this looks like my kind of place to hang out for a little R&R.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just finished up a stay here last week and wanted to share my thoughts.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

This place is a great value for now, and will one day be a great destination vacation. For the rates they are offering now, i can't think of any place where you'll get a nicer room or view. But as expected service is not quite up to par yet for a resort that I'm sure was built with rates over $600/night in mind. Everyone I interacted with was very nice, and I always felt like they were making an effort, but the service was what you would expect from people that haven't spent much time working at a 5 star resort. Some requests would take 2-3 minutes to fulfill and others would take 2-3 hours and you never knew what to expect. The staff also didn't do a great job anticipating the needs of the guests. We were never approached at the pool or the beach and asked if we wanted food or drinks. Each morning after our beach chairs were set up, we would ask for them to put up our umbrella for shade. They would, but then we would have to ask again for them to move our chairs around to actually put them in the shade of the umbrella when you would have thought it was obvious why we wanted the umbrella up.

At $1200-1400/night for the sea view suite, I would have been disappointed, but for our rate, we had a wonderful stay and I felt like we received a great value even with the service kinks. I would gladly go back any time for the current rates, but I would give it a few years before I would even consider paying the full rates. If you need perfection on your vacation, go elsewhere and pay for it. But if you're willing to put up with some service issues and training, jump on this place now before prices go up and you wont regret it.

BREAKFAST

The Globalist breakfast was still the Great House Selection, which was the buffet options plus any entree. The breakfast was excellent each morning, and if the fruit selection and coffee would have better it would have been one of my best breakfasts anywhere. On a side note, when I mentioned the Globalist breakfast the first morning, it was clear the waitress didn't know what I was talking about so they brought me a bill everyday and I figured I would straighten it out at checkout. To my surprise they had all been removed without me asking before I checked out.

BEACH AND POOL

As others have said, the occupancy is pretty low, I would guess 30-40%, and I thought it was great. We had the beach mostly to ourselves the entire week and I think the most people I ever saw around the pool was 10. The beach is rocky in front of most of the buildings, but there is a pretty large area with no rocks right in front of the pool where most of the beach chairs are set up. The water was a little choppy but that was likely due to the high winds and it was still a very swimmable beach. The water was only 4-5 feet deep a pretty good ways out into the water. The staff keeps the seaweed cleared out around the swimmable part, but there was a little seaweed on the rest of the beach. The pool was 3-5 ft throughout with a pretty large 1ft deep area on one side for toddlers. My only complaint on the pools was that the water temperature in both the family and adult pools was way too cold. For a 5-star resort, I think the water needs to be heated from November to February. We were still able to swim, but it was definitely a little uncomfortable and we very rarely saw anyone else in the pool likely because of the water temperature.

Service at the pool and beach was always very friendly, but we had to ask for everything. We would be the only group at the beach and aside from setting up our towels no one ever stopped by to see if we needed any menus, food, drinks, etc. That said, the staff was always super friendly when we would waive them over or approach them to order something. This was definitely an area where some additional experience and training will help. The drinks were pretty reasonable at $9-12 for almost every drink we ordered. The cocktail list was pretty weak, but the bartenders were able to make all the usual beach drinks.

Overall, the beach and pool setups were amazing and once the staff gains some additional experience this place will be top notch.

ROOM

As a globalist we were upgraded to a Sea View Suite which was great. Our room was on the middle floor and was probably 40 yards from the ocean. The views were spectacular. The space inside the room was great and the furnishings were mostly great. I really only had a few complaints. The shades and sheers should have been the automatic type that you see at other high-end resorts. For such a nice room, they felt cheap and did not do a great job of blocking out the sun. The shutters looked great, but they were poorly made. Out of the 8 or so shutters in the room, only 2 of them shut properly. I also wish they would have included a fully closed in bedroom. The bedroom closed off from the living room with two sliding doors, but one of the sliding doors closed against the window curtains, so light and noise came through between the rooms. Lastly, the patio included a nice outdoor sofa and dining set, but the patio covering was not solid so the afternoon rain made the patio unusable most nights. I think they should put in Plexiglas on top to keep the rain off the patio.

RESTAURANTS AND FOOD

We went expecting a poor food experience, but in general we were very pleased. Most of the dishes we had were very good and service at all the restaurants was great as well. I thought the prices were a little high, but mostly in line with expectations. A couple things were outlandish (most wine bottles, champagne, kids meals), but for the most part the pricing was pretty reasonable for an island resort. The only odd thing we experienced was a couple times items were substituted for what we ordered without the waiter mentioning it. One night we ordered a special gelato dessert that was supposed to have two different types of gelato and some homemade marshmallows. Instead we received two scoops of vanilla. We were only charged for the cheaper dessert, but still it was very weird no one mentioned it. At another restaurant we had a wonderful chocolate dessert one night and then ordered the same thing two nights later and a brownie with chocolate gelato came out instead. It turns out they were out of the other dessert, but again no mention of that and just a substitution for another chocolate dessert.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:13 am

Has anyone who booked on points/reward nights been able to ask for and get any upgrade on room at checkin? Any tips on what room locations are best/ideal?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike21NJ
We're going for a 3 day visit in February and wanted to see if the Reggae Beach Bar has been visited by anyone posting reviews? Based on pictures and such, this looks like my kind of place to hang out for a little R&R.
the beach is horrendous. Although with less rocks than the hotel beach itself. Reggar Beach Bar is in a not so good looking area.... I didnt feel safe going there walking.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am at the property at the moment and I agree with all the reviewers. AVOID THIS HOTEL AVOID AVOID AVOID.

I do no agree with reviewers that are OK with mediocrecy like the previous reviewer. This property is too far from perfect.

The hard product is really good. Nice and new facilities, beautiful views and design. And the food is good. HOWEVER, the soft product is extremely bad for an expensive 5 star resort. Specially a Park Hyatt!!

I have never felt as an uninvited guest in a hotel. I am here and I want to leave right away, the problem is that there are no other real options here....

I stayed 3 days and from day 1 I was super bored. There are no activities and nothing to do here. The beach is very mediocre, there are a lot of rocks and the current is strong. The water is very brown and there is no visibility underwater. There are almost no fish and no live coral in the beach, only algae and dead coral. These photos they put on instagram of thd chef fishing in the pier are FAKE there is not even a ROCK on the pier. It is just sand and ugly algae.

The service is bad bad bad bad. There are clearly not trained and they do not care about you. I came for my anniversary and they did not acknoledge anything. Concierge sucks, they take ages to reply and did nothing of my request!!!! No turndown service, no goodies or welcome things. No Globalist acknoledgement or explanation of benefits. Anything you ask for is aswered with a rude attitude like if they are doing you a favor.

Currently the hotel is at 20% occupancy and feels like 10%

I was very concern that they had something against me but after overhearing another couple complaining about the same thing to a manager we approached and some other couples also came and started stating the same thing.

I am never coming to this peace of crap hotel again.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by cascade

It’s a unique phenomenon common throughout the Caribbean, often called being on “island time”
Ha... I thought it was only me too, but worst... I thought it was only going to be concierge email. In the property it is the same crap. Order a burger, takes 2 hours and came burned like a coal. About 60% of the things I requested never came (menus, water, towel, a tool for my room, brush), the other 30% came extremely late and other 5% came wrong. Only 5% probably came on time and correct. But almost all came with attitude.

I actually spoke to a person that works in the resort that I know (comes from Hadahaa) and he mentions that the problem is that 90% of the staff the government mandates has to be local, and this island is very very small and has absolutely no tourism infrastrutcture so they have minimum to no training and no experience. And also the laws here are very strict on if you can fire a local employee or reprimend him, so they have their hands tie...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:12 pm

Spgplat21 what great rates are you talking about??? This hotel is always $900+ or 30k points. More expensive than hadahaa!!! The food is more expensive than in the maldives and the portions are tiny!! They charge $200 to sit on the chairs with the water falls.... this hotel is not cheap. And I am fine with paying money for good service. But I have received better service in $60 Hyatt house and $200 Marriott in St Thomas
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Spgplat21 what great rates are you talking about??? This hotel is always $900+ or 30k points. More expensive than hadahaa!!! The food is more expensive than in the maldives and the portions are tiny!! They charge $200 to sit on the chairs with the water falls.... this hotel is not cheap. And I am fine with paying money for good service. But I have received better service in $60 Hyatt house and $200 Marriott in St Thomas
I just checked January 31- Feb 4 for 3 adults. The rate is $619/night with a $300/person airfare credit. So that worked out to $394/night after the $900 airfare credit. I checked March, and rates were a higher by around $100/night, but still not close to $900. I found some nights that were super high so maybe you just unluckily focused on those, but through june I was able to find rates between $500-600/night.

To each their own, but the sea view suite I received was well worth the roughly $350/night I spent on it. A room that nice, that close to the ocean anywhere else would be well over $1,000/night so I was more than willing to overlook some service shortcomings. But as far as service, which I will happily admit was not good, I am very surprised to hear people saying that the staff had negative attitudes and made guests feel unwelcome. No one in my party experienced anything like that during our stay. I felt like I knew exactly what to expect based on reading other reviews and from my own experience trying out the St. Regis Bahia Beach during it's first few months. People seemed to try and many times, if anything, they were overly nice to an uncomfortable level, but none of them have any experience at a 5 star hotel.

As far as food prices, I typically ordered pasta or fish dishes with one or two mixed drinks and the prices seemed very much in line with other Caribbean islands and a little cheaper than Hawaii. Main courses were $30-40 based on my recollection, and my mixed drinks were $12-16. Beers were $6-7. I've never been to the Maldives, but I would very much doubt the food here is more expensive unless you focus solely on a few of the overpriced items.

All that said, I think we can both agree that at $900/night this place is not currently worth it and may never be unless they clean up the service issues. But as a globalist, being able to confirm a Sea View Suite in advance and receiving the wonderful breakfast for free each morning, I would gladly go back at any rate under $500/night.

Last edited by spgplat21; Feb 1, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spgplat21
If you're going to add three question marks, at least spend some time and look for yourself. I just checked January 31- Feb 4 for 3 adults. The rate is $619/night with a $300/person airfare credit. So that worked out to $394/night after the $900 airfare credit. I checked March, and rates were a higher by around $100/night, but still not close to the $900 you mention. I found some nights that were super high so maybe you just unluckily focused on those, but through june I was able to find rates between $500-600/night.
Yeah, I found the same thing as well. I booked about a week next December where it was available for $323/night Member Rate, but if we had booked a week later, would have been $550/night, Xmas week would have been well over $1K/night, and early January was $850/night. So you pay quite a bit more for peak periods. And it was only a little more ($380/night) for the rate eligible for the 6,000 points/night suite upgrade, since my TSUs expire before then.

By the way, has anyone stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Four Seasons Nevis? Considering staying at both back-to-back, so was curious how far from the Park Hyatt the 4S speed boat picks up, and how the two properties compare?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by oc2005
Yeah, I found the same thing as well. I booked about a week next December where it was available for $323/night Member Rate, but if we had booked a week later, would have been $550/night, Xmas week would have been well over $1K/night, and early January was $850/night. So you pay quite a bit more for peak periods. And it was only a little more ($380/night) for the rate eligible for the 6,000 points/night suite upgrade, since my TSUs expire before then.

By the way, has anyone stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the Four Seasons Nevis? Considering staying at both back-to-back, so was curious how far from the Park Hyatt the 4S speed boat picks up, and how the two properties compare?
Oh wow $320 is more in line. I paid about $900 per night ..... totally not worth it. And I dont consider this high season. Our AA flight was empty. Only about 15 passengers on a A319. Hotel was between 10-20% occupancy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.