Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: itsaboutthejourney
General
  • Parking:
    • Valet: $24/night
    • Self: $24/night
    • Street: on Chapman Ave and in neighborhood starting about 2 blocks west of property
      • Caution: Note signs for street sweeping days.
  • Suggested Room Locations
    • Facing Disneyland fireworks, towards the north and west.

Globalist Benefits
  • Breakfast: Buffet or a la carte for up to 4 at TusCA restaurant

Onsite links (hotel info, menus, ordering, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by JackE
HR by John Wayne Airport (SNA) is in Newport Beach, not Costa Mesa.
Thanks. I knew it wasn’t Irvine, but couldn’t remember which city it was. I shall now refer to it as HR- Irvine-but-not-really-Irvine/SNA
Old May 23, 2022, 9:47 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by JBKettle
Thanks. I knew it wasn’t Irvine, but couldn’t remember which city it was. I shall now refer to it as HR- Irvine-but-not-really-Irvine/SNA
the "real" HR Irvine was reflagged a couple of years ago in fact.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I stayed at the HR Orange in April, booking through Expedia. Awful room. Dark, scratched furniture, general sense of grime and dust. The bathtub had a really nasty mark. The idea that this was a room in an upscale hotel was laughable. Certainly wouldn’t return.
I get they give the nicer rooms to status members booking direct, but this room just had no place in a HR.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
I stayed at the HR Orange in April, booking through Expedia. Awful room. Dark, scratched furniture, general sense of grime and dust. The bathtub had a really nasty mark. The idea that this was a room in an upscale hotel was laughable. Certainly wouldn’t return.
I get they give the nicer rooms to status members booking direct, but this room just had no place in a HR.
This HR definitely isn’t an “upscale” property regardless of status. Not sure if you just see the overall HR brand as “upscale”, but I’ve been to several HR’s that are not “upscale”, including this one.

HR as a brand overall is designed for business travelers so they’re not too focused on aesthetics as they are a decent place to sleep.

I can say though it is an upgrade from the Hilton Garden Inn next door having stayed at both.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
This HR definitely isn’t an “upscale” property regardless of status. Not sure if you just see the overall HR brand as “upscale”, but I’ve been to several HR’s that are not “upscale”, including this one.

HR as a brand overall is designed for business travelers so they’re not too focused on aesthetics as they are a decent place to sleep.

I can say though it is an upgrade from the Hilton Garden Inn next door having stayed at both.
Hyatt’s description of the Hyatt Regency brand, not mine. https://www.hyatt.com/development/ourbrands Upper-Upscale

Surely one of the main purposes of branding is consistency. If a brand offers an inconsistent experience it’s almost inevitable they’ll be judged on the poorer experiences.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:23 pm

Hyatt’s description of the Hyatt Regency brand, not mine. https://www.hyatt.com/development/ourbrands Upper-Upscale

Surely one of the main purposes of branding is consistency. If a brand offers an inconsistent experience it’s almost inevitable they’ll be judged on the poorer experiences.
In my experiences with Hyatt consistency is the last thing they have. In fact the ONLY brand I’ve found to have consistency is Hyatt Place, every other brand of Hyatt varies widely based on state, city, country and largely price point.

A $400 a night HR is going to have significantly higher quality rooms, dining and amenities compared to a $100 a night HR which HR OC happens to be, being in the same brand means nothing in Hyatt. There’s actually several threads discussing how specific properties fit more into different brands than what they actually bare designated.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
In my experiences with Hyatt consistency is the last thing they have. In fact the ONLY brand I’ve found to have consistency is Hyatt Place, every other brand of Hyatt varies widely based on state, city, country and largely price point.

A $400 a night HR is going to have significantly higher quality rooms, dining and amenities compared to a $100 a night HR which HR OC happens to be, being in the same brand means nothing in Hyatt. There’s actually several threads discussing how specific properties fit more into different brands than what they actually bare designated.
I don’t doubt you, and I’m sure you have much greater experience of Hyatt than I do. I paid a lot more than $100/night. But the rate paid is an irrelevance, if you claim upscale you set an expectation. I’ll be in no rush to return to a Hyatt. In terms of consistency I have exactly the same issue with Hiltons, unless you’ve been before you have no idea what to expect.
Old May 28, 2022, 3:46 pm

I don’t doubt you, and I’m sure you have much greater experience of Hyatt than I do. I paid a lot more than $100/night. But the rate paid is an irrelevance, if you claim upscale you set an expectation. I’ll be in no rush to return to a Hyatt. In terms of consistency I have exactly the same issue with Hiltons, unless you’ve been before you have no idea what to expect.
I definitely wouldn’t pay more than $120 a night to stay at this property. I just stay there when I need a cheap Hyatt to earn points/bonuses/promos and elite nights.

I don’t blame you, you had a certain expectation and they failed you in that aspect.

As far as Hiltons for my family traveling a lot I’ve found a lot of consistency with the Garden Inn, Doubletree and Hampton Inn Brands personally, which is cheap low to no amenities but it does the job and is much better than a Motel 6 and slightly better than Holiday Inn.

If you do decide to try other Hyatts I would try a Fast Track promo even if you don’t intend to complete the challenge you get temporary status which helps a lot or get the Hyatt Credit Card which also gives status along with tons of points (enough for plenty of free nights). If you don’t want to do either Chase also allows you to convert UR to Hyatt points which significantly lessens the cost on most stays by paying with points.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
I wish this was true but it isn’t. Wether it’s Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott- it’s often really hard to understand why they use which sub brand for what property. Age of the hotel is a really big factor there in my experience but as someone else has said, the price tag often gives a clue too. If you include properties globally, this further complicated things as prices and/ or standards vary immersive depending on the individual market.

Saying all that- I agree, the Orange County Hyatt Regency is a particular let down, even for a Hyatt Regency and even if you’re Globalist member who books direct. So not surprised at all to hear about above experience if not even booked directly.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
I mean, if you somehow made you way back to 1986 the property did open with one (as the Princess Alicante), but it's long, long dead. I think maybe the circa 2007 renovation?
Staying here now. I think the former club is now the "Residence Suite" on the 17th floor.

This property has started to fustate me recently. I always can get a good rate and I can find free parking easily on the street. The facilites have gone downhill in recent years.

Yes, it's nice they upgraded the Starbucks - but now they don't have the Hyatt Regency standard grab and go market available in the off hours. The upright eliptical broke in the gym... so it's just gone. Same with the water fountain in the gym. Same with an espresso machine at TusCA.

Clearly they got halfway through the renovation, stopped it because of COVID, and they seem to be be full enough now they don't feel the need to finish it and Hyatt isn't going to make them. Everything they haven't touched feels very worn, and the work they have done feels like the bare minimum corporate would allow. They're also constantly cycling through weird side businesses... now they have a yoga studio?

It's just odd. When I started staying here the place used to be owned by Xenia Hotels & Resorts - who were fantastic and run a tight ship at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress/Park Hyatt Aviara. Current ownership (Shanghai Construction Group) is terrible and is starving the place of capital and care.

Whenever you raise concerns it's just "tough labor market" as an excuse.
I want to start staying at the Westin but... Bonvoy. Ugh.
Sydneyberlin likes this.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Jul 11, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
The parking lot floods when it rains. Your car could get stuck in a huge puddle. Stay away from the low areas. For the price you pay for parking they should have a parking structure.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:39 am

Rates for an upcoming stay to visit Disney aren't that different for 2 rooms of Two Queen Deluxe (which appears to be fully renovated?) compared with a 2-bedroom suite (which appears to be unrenovated?) I'm assuming I should stick with the 2 rooms and request connecting? My hesitancy is that the connecting part would not be guaranteed but hoping with globalist status they would make sure to honor the request. I'm also considering the Hyatt House closer to Disney. The stay would only be for Disney, nothing else.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I'm surprised no one answered your question yet.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by slariz
Rates for an upcoming stay to visit Disney aren't that different for 2 rooms of Two Queen Deluxe (which appears to be fully renovated?) compared with a 2-bedroom suite (which appears to be unrenovated?) I'm assuming I should stick with the 2 rooms and request connecting? My hesitancy is that the connecting part would not be guaranteed but hoping with globalist status they would make sure to honor the request. I'm also considering the Hyatt House closer to Disney. The stay would only be for Disney, nothing else.
Would love to know as well as I will be staying as a Globalist in August. Only experience was last summer (non-Globalist) and was given a renovated room. We were very pleased with it.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Staying here now. I think the former club is now the "Residence Suite" on the 17th floor.

This property has started to fustate me recently. I always can get a good rate and I can find free parking easily on the street. The facilites have gone downhill in recent years.

Yes, it's nice they upgraded the Starbucks - but now they don't have the Hyatt Regency standard grab and go market available in the off hours. The upright eliptical broke in the gym... so it's just gone. Same with the water fountain in the gym. Same with an espresso machine at TusCA.

Clearly they got halfway through the renovation, stopped it because of COVID, and they seem to be be full enough now they don't feel the need to finish it and Hyatt isn't going to make them. Everything they haven't touched feels very worn, and the work they have done feels like the bare minimum corporate would allow. They're also constantly cycling through weird side businesses... now they have a yoga studio?

It's just odd. When I started staying here the place used to be owned by Xenia Hotels & Resorts - who were fantastic and run a tight ship at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress/Park Hyatt Aviara. Current ownership (Shanghai Construction Group) is terrible and is starving the place of capital and care.

Whenever you raise concerns it's just "tough labor market" as an excuse.
I want to start staying at the Westin but... Bonvoy. Ugh.
Recent stay as Globalist. Upgraded to a bigger room in north tower. Old, tired, meh.
calling front desk takes 5-6 minutes each time for an answer. Terrible.
Restaurant doesn't accept to go orders over the phone....only in person. Hardly efficient to order in person if attempting to save time.
wake up call tells me it's March, in August? What the.?
internet spotty at best.
​​daily housekeeping not replacing toiletries or coffee on a multi night stay.

Have another reservation coming up for here, which I've just cancelled and will go elsewhere. Won't come back here unless reviews change for the better. Terrible property that doesn't reflect normal Hyatt consistency at all. Big let down.
Sydneyberlin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.