Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:25 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Post Update from the Grand Hyatt Tokyo

Just got back from Tokyo and have to say that the Grand Hyatt is still #1 with me. Spent over a week at the property between two stays and never had any problems. The Grand Club lounge staff is tops... after my first day, I was always greeted in the morning with "Ohayo Mr. Zipper, what can I get you to drink for breakfast?" ... they made reservations for me at several restaurants, helped me with directions to Toys R Us, you name it, they are the best! The area around the hotel is great, as I got out and explored a bit more this time. The entire Roppongi Hills complex has something for everyone, and don't forget to stop at Heartland if you have a free evening

A few notes and observations...
  • There will be new gym equipment in the spring of '08. I was told that it is to be by technogym and have the ability to pug in your iPod so you can enjoy your music during your workout.
  • 2008 will be the 5th Anniversary of the GHT and there will be upcoming celebrations and promotions to go along with it... more to come when I get further info.
  • Diamonds still get continued Grand Club Access. Nuff said, this is the best benefit for Diamonds, and no hassles about it.
  • Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, free for guests. It was great to be able to surf from anywhere in the hotel. Just log in from your room, get your ID & Password and you can work from anywhere. It even worked on my iTouch!
  • Lounge renovation on hold. I heard that the lounge renovation that was originally scheduled for 2007 was put on hold, but should be done sometime in early/mid 2008.
  • Evening Hors D'vors are vastly improved. Several food selections were, which were changed daily, and a hot soup is now offered, in addition to cheeses, meats, veggies, chips, etc. A selection of wines (red and white) and champagne flowed constantly. The breakfast has not changed much, but adequate for continental style. I did notice on the weekends it was busy and a little crowded, but mid-week not so much.
  • New General Manager in 2008. I heard that a new GM will be starting in January, but that was about it...

I HIGHLY recommend the Grand Hyatt if you are in Tokyo. It's definately a cut above the rest.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:08 pm

GH Tokyo room types

I see from the hyatt.com site that they have Grand Deluxe Rooms which are 55 sq.m., quite a bit larger than the standard rooms at 42 sq.m. Has anyone been to one of the Grand Deluxe rooms? It seems there are very few of them. I do not seem to recall Diamonds being upgraded to them.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I see from the hyatt.com site that they have Grand Deluxe Rooms which are 55 sq.m., quite a bit larger than the standard rooms at 42 sq.m. Has anyone been to one of the Grand Deluxe rooms? It seems there are very few of them. I do not seem to recall Diamonds being upgraded to them.
I think they are in the corner of each floor. Check the Japanese site for details: http://www.grandhyatttokyo.com/rooms/deluxe.htm

I stay at the GHT a fair bit, but I have never stayed in one.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
In case you missed it there is also a floor plan:

http://www.grandhyatttokyo.com/prnt-rooms-deluxe.htm

No extra window for being a corner room. It looks like most of the extra space is wasted in the entry area.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Deluxe room report and praise.

The zipper said it best above. The Hotel is great in their treatment of Diamonds. We are into the Hotel for three nights. I will leave today when my mother-in-law comes in for two different stays at Le Meridiens aka Starwood in Tokyo. They have a promotion going on.

We were upgraded on FFNs to a Deluxe Grand Twin room. Very nice and that 25% more space really counts. All of the furniture is the same. Nothing extra. The main traits really show in the bathroom. You have a real toilet room and not one of them with a wooden door that feels cramped. A closet about 50% larger. An expanded bath area and a real sink. I hate those stylish above counter sinks. A real sink. If I remember correctly the other room has a above counter sink. The accent for this room that puts it over. The full on night view of Tokyo Tower. Perfect.

We have Lounge access. International Herald Tribune and not having to ask for upgraded room amenities aka REN make this a great Japanese hotel. Well it sounds like I am off to less than great hotels. Wish me luck.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Grand Hyatt Tokyo has a new GM. One week at the Hotel. I met him taking to lift down from 10. He has 20 years with Hyatt Intl.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:51 am

I just booked a grand executive suite here for June and July (thanks to GP upgrade). I've stayed here many times (the last being in June 06) and can't wait to be back. It really is a great place, especially in the suites as I found out last time I was there. NAGOMI, the fitness center is really great, as are all the food and beverage outlets. Service is incredible, and the rooms are really great, in my opinion. Modern, but not overly so.

Thanks to thezipper for the updates. Sounds like the Grand Club is even greater than before!

I've stayed several times in the Grand Deluxe Rooms. They're nominally bigger than standard rooms (I think) and the biggest benefit of them is that they can hold 2 adults and 3 children if you need them to. I'd probably save money and go with a standard room if you don't need the extra capacity. The other perk is that they upgrade to the grand executive suites w/ GP suite upgrades, which are incredible!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
I am considering doing a little bit of hotel hopping during my trip to Tokyo next month to get my Diamond status with the double stay credit. I normally stay at the Tokyo Hyatt as it is very close to our office there. How easy is it to go between the Tokyo Hyatt in Shinjuku and the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi? I think the train goes between Shinjuku and Roppongi with no switching required. How far is the GH from the Roppongi train station?

I know that the Park Hyatt is very close to the Tokyo Hyatt but the rates at the PH are very high.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:09 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I'll defer to the Tokyo regulars, but from Shinjuku you can take Yamanote (JR) and then switch to the Hibiya line at Ebisu, and take it a few stops to Roppongi. It's a 5-10 min walk from the station (Exit 2) to the hotel main entrance as you have to cross the Roppongi Hills complex to get to the hotel. I believe the direct from Shinjuku to Roppongi would be on the Oedo line... but I think the entrance to Oedo station (Exit 5) is about another 3-5 min from the Hibiya station entrance.

Here's a map with the stations

I'll be at GHT end of March, PM if you'll be around then.

Originally Posted by youngbru
I am considering doing a little bit of hotel hopping during my trip to Tokyo next month to get my Diamond status with the double stay credit. I normally stay at the Tokyo Hyatt as it is very close to our office there. How easy is it to go between the Tokyo Hyatt in Shinjuku and the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi? I think the train goes between Shinjuku and Roppongi with no switching required. How far is the GH from the Roppongi train station?

I know that the Park Hyatt is very close to the Tokyo Hyatt but the rates at the PH are very high.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:38 pm
mjm
Original Member

As usual, this is entirely correct. And FYI Zip, I will be near the GHT at the end of March too.

Mike

Originally Posted by thezipper
I'll defer to the Tokyo regulars, but from Shinjuku you can take Yamanote (JR) and then switch to the Hibiya line at Ebisu, and take it a few stops to Roppongi. It's a 5-10 min walk from the station (Exit 2) to the hotel main entrance as you have to cross the Roppongi Hills complex to get to the hotel. I believe the direct from Shinjuku to Roppongi would be on the Oedo line... but I think the entrance to Oedo station (Exit 5) is about another 3-5 min from the Hibiya station entrance.

Here's a map with the stations

I'll be at GHT end of March, PM if you'll be around then.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Originally Posted by aa4ever
I've stayed several times in the Grand Deluxe Rooms. They're nominally bigger than standard rooms (I think) and the biggest benefit of them is that they can hold 2 adults and 3 children if you need them to. I'd probably save money and go with a standard room if you don't need the extra capacity. The other perk is that they upgrade to the grand executive suites w/ GP suite upgrades, which are incredible!
As a soon-to-be newbie Diamond (after defecting from Starwood), I had 2 quick questions about this - is it possible to do the GP suite upgrade on a Grand room booking, or do I need to first book the Grand Deluxe? Also, how likely/unlikely is it that I'd be successful in using points to upgrade? I'm looking at an 8-night stay Jan 3-11, 2009.

Thanks!

Last edited by RandyNZ; Feb 20, 2008 at 3:50 pm Reason: icky grammar
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
As a soon-to-be newbie Diamond (after defecting from Starwood), I had 2 quick questions about this - is it possible to do the GP suite upgrade on a Grand room booking, or do I need to first book the Grand Deluxe? Also, how likely/unlikely is it that I'd be successful in using points to upgrade? I'm looking at an 8-night stay Jan 3-11, 2009.

Thanks!
They should be able to upgrade you from Grand room. They do/did it to me.

I am not sure if they could/would confirm for 8 nights, but they usually confirm in advance instead of "subject to availability upon checking-in." I would contact the hotel directly instead of GP CS.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Thumbs up Starwood never was this good to me!

Originally Posted by FlyMan
They should be able to upgrade you from Grand room. They do/did it to me.

I am not sure if they could/would confirm for 8 nights, but they usually confirm in advance instead of "subject to availability upon checking-in." I would contact the hotel directly instead of GP CS.
Thanks for the tip. I actually ended up emailing them as I had to reduce my reservation by one night and arrive Jan 4th, due to work reasons

I must say I was very, very impressed with the fast, prompt and professional response I got. When I changed my reservation, it actually changed my rate, but this rate then seemed to change again after I confirmed on the website and got the subsequent email.

I've never been to Japan, but have heard of their customer service, and am really impressed and looking fwd to my first trip in January

Last edited by RandyNZ; Feb 20, 2008 at 9:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Thanks for the tip. I actually ended up emailing them as I had to reduce my reservation by one night and arrive Jan 4th, due to work reasons

I must say I was very, very impressed with the fast, prompt and professional response I got. When I changed my reservation, it actually changed my rate, but this rate then seemed to change again after I confirmed on the website and got the subsequent email.

I've never been to Japan, but have heard of their customer service, and am really impressed and looking fwd to my first trip in January
Glad - they helped you as I expected. Hope you will enjoy a nice suite room with the B&O music system. Just be aware it will be very cold in Japan in Jan...
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely the preferred route to the GH from the Hyatt Century would be using the Oedo line, 11 minutes from Tochomae station to Roppongi station. Then another 5 minutes to ride 5 escalators up from the Roppongi station because the Oedo line is 15+ stories undergound!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.