Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
Just wanted to post and follow up having just returned from the GHT. I can't compare with the PHT having never been there, but I find it hard to believe that there is much that can top the GHT and the Roppongi Hills Complex.

First of all, thanks to RTWSTARALLIANCE for your contact - we were extremely well treated.

The rooms and amenities seem to have been covered here so not much to add - other than even rooms are the way to go (better than the odds which may have to Tokyo Tower in the distance but also look right into the Mori building) and for a first timer, the toilets were certainly an experience.

Other things which haven't been covered here. (i) Nagomi Spa and pool complex is wonderful. Had a massage which was great. Locker room is immaculate and the whirlpool/sauna area very enjoyable. No views in any of these areas but well set up. (ii) There are lots of nooks and crannies in this hotel that are worth exploring, including the shinto shrine and christian chapel which are both architecturally amazing. They take a bit of searching to find, but well worth it. Also the restaurant "complex" on the sixth floor is amazing and includes small rock gardens, various almost hidden waterfalls and a sort of "outdoors but not really" area that has to be seen to be understood. We had particularly pleasant weather and one whole wall of the Oak Door basically lifts up to open to an outside patio garden and it took me a while to realize that it isn't really outside at all (at least I don't think I'm still not sure). (iii) Roppongi Hills. This is a pretty amazing complex and I agree will become one of the premier destinations in Tokyo (and that's saying alot). Still has somewhat of a "settling in" feeling but the overall design and feeling is wonderful. Really shows how Tokyo can be a vertical city with all the up and down and in and out that you do walking through the area. (One question though to MJM - what's with the giant spider thing outside the main entrance to Mori Tower?).

Bottom line.....top of the line recommendation for the GHT, the Club Floor and the entire Roppongi complex!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 4:32 am
mjm
Original Member

FlyLots,

Thank you for the feedback. Great to know what travelers thinks of the project. FTers are one of the best audiences for proving the value of a place like the GHT and Roppongi Hills.

This piece is called Maman and is by an artist called Louise Bourgeois. She apparently had quite a relationship with her mother, and this piece is supposed to indictae various aspects of this. For example the size makes it possible for one to hold the art or to be covered entirely by it. It is a Spider because to her the spider is a dangerous thing but the shape and arms/legs are an all enclosing thing. All related to her thoughts on her mother who I believe raised Ms. Bourgeois alone. Not sure myself what to make of it all, but it is a famous piece of the Tate Modern's collection and one of several pieces of art we have around the Roppongi Hills complex.

The complex is designed to address a variety of things and one of the most important is the cultural side of things. The museum at the top of the building which opens with its first exhibition on 10/18 is the cornerstone of this cultural experience, but the entire project has pieces scattered here and there.

The link to the museum (including explanations of the various pieces of art around Roppongi Hills is at:

http://www.mori.art.museum

(click the botom control bar to get to the English language version)

Another link I grabbed from Google is here.

And one more article on Maman is from Sculpture Magazine.

Any other questions, comments, requests for tours of Roppongi Hills, offers of coffee and chat etc. are all welcome. It is fun to see the interest being generated.

Thanks,

Mike

[This message has been edited by mjm (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
MJM

Thanks for the reply and the explanation of that sculpture (don't know whether to be fascinated or frightened by that story though). We actually received free tickets to the opening of the museum (were given to us at the great katsu-ya in the basement of the "subway hat") but unfortunately we're back in NY. We sent them to friends in Tokyo though.

One last question though.....in order to settle a debate (read argument) my partner and I are having.....is the restaurant complex on the sixth floor outside (open to the elements so to speak) or is it an illusion?
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:43 pm
mjm
Original Member

Well usually not one to contribute to domestic strife .....you asked so..........

The entrances to Shunbou, Roku-Roku, Oak Door (including the Oak Door Bar), and the China Room are all exposed to the elements.

Although one feels as though it is very unlike and other hotel dining area ever experienced, and that the cover that exists between the Mori Tower and the Hotel extends to this area, the area between the restaurants (by which one must access the restaurants) on the sixth floor of the hotel is in fact open air.

P.S. Mobile phone number available via e-mail prior to next trip to Tokyo so as to arrange a chance to share drinks here.

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:05 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Thanks to MJM for showing me around the Roppongi Hills development... it's worth going there just to people watch. I spent 3 days at the Grand Hyatt, here's some room pictures and others of the GHT. I got some suggestions from RTWSTARALLIANCE on the hotel layout and e-mailed the Front Office Manager with my requests prior to my stay. Although it was only a Grand Room, I had a great view on the 20th floor and access to the Grand Club lounge. All in all a superb stay on FFN's ... I definately will be back!

[This message has been edited by thezipper (edited 11-04-2003).]
Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:09 pm
mjm
Original Member

Zipper,

As usual, a pleasure showing another FTer the project. You got some great pictures, and I particularly liked the shot from above of the Presidential Suite.

The views from the Mori Tower and from below the spider can be shared by anybody that happens to be in the neighborhood and drops me a note. Happy to play tourguide.

Mike

------------------
FT Pictures Page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
FT SIN RUN 2004 (2nd Annual Mileage Run For Chili Crabs)
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed at the PHT last week and getting around is quite easy. There is a subway stop just 4 blocks from the PHT that will take you directly to Roppongi for $2 in less than 10 minutes. The PHT is a travel destination in itself. Especially if you like a great spa and gym.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE:
I took the airport limousine bus from NRT to the Hotel. I was the only person on the bus stopping at the Hotel. Travel time today was 2 hours.</font>
What is the best method to travel from NRT to this property?

Cost?
Time?
Simplicity? – I know taxi or bus. Don’t like the taxi cost nor the bus travel time.
Directions?

Arriving on a Saturday 4pm

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mad4Miles:
What is the best method to travel from NRT to this property?

Cost?
Time?
Simplicity? – I know taxi or bus. Don’t like the taxi cost nor the bus travel time.
Directions?

Arriving on a Saturday 4pm

Thanks
</font>
Train. Narita Express Train runs by JR, at Tokyo station, then take the subway.

[This message has been edited by Happy (edited Feb 12, 2004).]
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had significant baggage, I might be tempted to take the Narita Express to Tokyo, Shinagawa, or Shinjuku and then pay for a taxi the rest of the way, although I expect that taxi would cost around Y3000-4000 (or about the same cost as the train).

If you happen to get the Narita Express to Shinjuku, you can then transfer to the Oedo line directly and not need to transfer again, although this will take longer, probably longer than the bus all told.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I would only take the bus. Into GHT next month and it will be the bus. After a long flight I don't wanna carry luggage around any station. Price is reasonable.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 8:25 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
We took the Narita Express to Shibuya station and taxi from there, as it is closer than Shinjuku (though not all Narita Express trains stop at Shibuya station.) Taxi was 1100 yen. The alternative is get off at Tokyo station and subway to Ginza or Hibaya stations and transfer to Rappongi. Lots of luggage would still be a pain. We took the taxi to Tokyo station on leaving GHT and it was 1900 yen.

I took the bus the first time I was in Tokyo and unfortunately, AA's flight from SJC gets in between 3 and 4pm, depending on the winds and other factors. So it's the worst part of the rush hour. I think it took me over 3 hours from landing (with carryons only,) to getting checked in (that time it was the Ren in Ginza) on a Sunday nite. Since then, I have stuck to the Narita Express.

RTWSTARALLIANCE's contact person at GHT is great. Knowledgeable, friendly and showed us around, even though he was staying late and I could tell he wanted to go home. Saw him everyday and he always took the time to talk and find out what and how we were doing. I've never stayed at the PHT but both my son and I were extremely impressed with our stay at GHT. FFN room for 3 nights, 18th floor, even number. Not large, but good view (would have a Fuji-san view but for the smog,) and the most incredible shower/bath. The pool, spa and fitnes center are huge and rarely crowded. Allowed to use Platinum Extras for Grand Club access including breakfast (no eggs/hot food though) and 5:30 to 7:30pm cocktails.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was surprised to read about the Narita Express stopping at Shibuya, but according to the schedule, 5 trains a day do stop there (including some that I must have been on!), with the first one being the 16:14 departure. Shibuya is not at all far from Roppongi and would definitely be the best choice if available.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:00 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Now you all have me thinking.

Mrs. RayinMaui and I are going to Tokyo in the beginning of May for a few nights to see the beginning of the basho (May 9th).

We were going to stay at PHT, but now I'm thinking we'll stay at the GHT. Maybe we can get the Presedential Suite. The pictures sure looked good!

So much information on this board! It's great!

[This message has been edited by RayinMaui (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:10 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Upcoming Renovations at Grand Hyatt Tokyo

The Grand Hyatt Tokyo will be undergoing renovations on some rooms and the Grand Club over the next several months. My contact at the GHT has asked me to post the following:

From Jan 4-10, the 10th floor will be closed for room renovations (flooring). During this time, the Grand Club will operate from the French Kitchen Located on the 2nd floor.
This is also a test run for when Grand Club closes for its actual renovation in the upcoming months. The Lounge will be located in the small lounge area attached to the French Kitchen Bar.

Club hours are as follows:

Club Breakfast: 7:00-10:30 Full Buffet Access

Coffee Tea Service: 10:30-17:30

Evening Cocktails: 17:30-19:30

During this time Grand Club Staff will be assigned to the French Kitchen, however all check in & outs unfortunately must occur at the 1st floor Front Desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.