Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
What a joke of a 'resort fee' at this place. Also astonished at how mediocre the rooms and spaces are. This property is in dire need of more love, not more fees. Entirely uncompetitive with the other hotels around here, but I guess it's a seller's market.
I respectfully disagree it’s in need of more love. The finishes and features are high end and not fraying. The lounge has a stunning view of the north bay as have some of the rooms. Reception is boutique-y, lounge service is quite good. Restaurant and bar are high quality food and service. This property can easily command its price point compared to the dreadful Marriott, Westin St Francis and others nearby.
59Impala likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

I respectfully disagree it’s in need of more love. The finishes and features are high end and not fraying. The lounge has a stunning view of the north bay as have some of the rooms. Reception is boutique-y, lounge service is quite good. Restaurant and bar are high quality food and service. This property can easily command its price point compared to the dreadful Marriott, Westin St Francis and others nearby.
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I and others have noted rooms and public spaces in need of renovation, as well as poor service in the restaurant and lounge. Yes, the views are great from the lounge, but that's assuming you can even get a seat during breakfast (I had to wait in the hallway for access!). Plus they play games with awards and upgrades per several other reviewer experiences. Now a resort fee? Thanks but no thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caliform
Entirely uncompetitive with the other hotels around here
I'm no fan of this property, but the product itself is certainly competitive. In the immediate vicinity, you have Marriott Union Square, Westin St. Francis, Hilton Parc 55, JW, and Hilton Union Square. All decidedly mediocre properties. SF is just overall a really crappy hotel city.
Markie, dpb132, andreiz and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm no fan of this property, but the product itself is certainly competitive. In the immediate vicinity, you have Marriott Union Square, Westin St. Francis, Hilton Parc 55, JW, and Hilton Union Square. All decidedly mediocre properties. SF is just overall a really crappy hotel city.
Well said, Kacee (as always.)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Yes, very competitive price points. This is for a Thursday in September.

Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:35 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
What are the rates for nearby properties for the same date ? I suspect they are similarly outrageous … In the fall, San Francisco is host to some huge events, like salesforce.com's Dreamforce and Oracle's OpenWorld. The events bring 10's of thousands of attendees to the SF bay area and the host companies block rooms at just about every hotel from San Mateo to Santa Rosa.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pickles
This is for a Thursday in September.
You mean during Dreamforce?

Originally Posted by skj
What are the rates for nearby properties for the same date ? I suspect they are similarly outrageous … In the fall, San Francisco is host to some huge events, like salesforce.com's Dreamforce and Oracle's OpenWorld. The events bring 10's of thousands of attendees to the SF bay area and the host companies block rooms at just about every hotel from San Mateo to Santa Rosa.
Exactly.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
You mean during Dreamforce?
I don't care if it's the Messiah that's coming or the Dreamforce from outer space, whatever that is. If that's the going rate, why not stay at the St. Regis or the FS instead?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Assuming this is for Thu 9/27, St Regis runs $1,200, Grand Hyatt is down to 1,000, Marriott Union square is $800 and Westin St Francis is sold out. That sounds about the right competitive price/quality ratio to me. St Regis is a few blocks further away from Union square than the other properties. Or FS for $1,300?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:05 am

I don't care if it's the Messiah that's coming or the Dreamforce from outer space, whatever that is. If that's the going rate, why not stay at the St. Regis or the FS instead?
Maybe because the "going rate" is hundreds of dollars higher at those properties for the same dates?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe because the "going rate" is hundreds of dollars higher at those properties for the same dates?
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. Besides, at that point, if you're going to pay those kinds of rates, might as well get some value covered. Let's say that the "fair" rate of the GH San Francisco is $200, and the one at the St. Regis is $400. If the GH is $1,200 and the St. Regis is $1,400, which of the two is more guilty of price gouging? The 6x price scalper, or the 3x scalper?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. Besides, at that point, if you're going to pay those kinds of rates, might as well get some value covered. Let's say that the "fair" rate of the GH San Francisco is $200, and the one at the St. Regis is $400. If the GH is $1,200 and the St. Regis is $1,400, which of the two is more guilty of price gouging? The 6x price scalper, or the 3x scalper?
The flaw in your argument (or a flaw, I should say) is that you presume that the "fair" price is the lowest-occupancy rate (indeed, the StR SF is going for $355 on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve). That rates are higher when demand is higher is a feature of the system, not a bug.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The flaw in your argument (or a flaw, I should say) is that you presume that the "fair" price is the lowest-occupancy rate (indeed, the StR SF is going for $355 on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve). That rates are higher when demand is higher is a feature of the system, not a bug.
Sure, the "fair" rate at any point is whatever the market will bear. But a good baseline to determine the value (not the price) of such a good is to see what the lowest price is, that is, the price at which it won't go below. That price ratio is probably a good indicator of relative value. So, for example, the GH can be regularly be found at $200 during weekends and other low periods (e.g. Christmas Eve), while the St. Regis doesn't go much below $400 or so even in those periods. So that's the baseline value comparison between the two hotels, and sounds about right. All-in the St. Regis is probably "twice" as good a hotel as the GH.

So when market demand spikes (during a show or conference), prices of course rise, but if you're going to pay a multiple of fair value, you want to leave as little as possible surplus to the seller. In this case, the GH is charging you 6x the fair value (i.e. think of it as it "selling" you 1 room for the true value of six), while the St. Regis is only "selling" you 1 room for the value of 3. The dollar differential may be the same ($1,000), but those $1,000 of surplus captured by the hotelier are much more profitable to the GH than to the St. Regis given their baseline fixed costs (which determine the value price at the lowest point). Makes sense?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Makes sense?
No. They charge what they can. That's how the market works.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

No. They charge what they can. That's how the market works.
Grand Hyatt San Francisco is now sold out for Thu 9/27 presumably having sold their last room for around $1,000. Having checked the site a few times this morning, sometimes it says $1,009, and sometimes ‘hotel not available.’ So they’re undoubtedly down to their last room. But you can still get into St. Regis for $1,200. So if I was in charge of GHSF, I would feel good that I had posted the room for sale for the price that the market will bear to kacee’s point. And sold every single room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.