Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to Harbour View International Hotel (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM 10:30AM Monday Friday & 7AM 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
I booked three rooms at GH HK during 14th-17th February using my NBT. The hotel generously upgraded all three rooms to the Club Floor with Harbour View.

Diamond amenities included a fruit bowl and a box of chocolate.

I brought my PS3 to play in the room. Unfortunately, the in-room TV was so out-of-date that it couldn't even handle the PS3's video output from RGB line. I rang the conciege to get a technician for assistance. The technician spent an hour, trying to get the video output to work. He did his best, but to no avail, the technician rang back the conciege, telling them the problem.

The manager Leo Lai came to apologize for the situation, offering to change my room to a "mock room" on the 12th floor. Apparently, there were only two such rooms in GH HK, made specifically for future renovation purpose. The mock room had a brand new Samsung LCD TV -- same as those in GH Macau and GH Shenzhen. ^

The technician managed to get the RGB line to work, but couldn't get the HDMI line to work. Apparently, the Samsung TV had the HDMI port locked by default, and requires a password to activate, which the technician could not obtain as the CS line was closed during the CNY holiday.

Anyway, I was really grateful that the GH HK team tried their best to sort out my PS3 problem. ^

Watched fireworks from the Club Floor on 15th Feb. Couldn't see much due to bad weather.

All in all, GH HK went far and beyond for Diamonds, and I was very satisfied with the stay. Will return in the future.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The hotel is solid in its treatment of diamonds. You get a card on check in that states your benefits. I was given:
  • club access - club offers breakfast in the morning, and appetizers between 5:30 and 7:30pm; rest of day you can have free non alcoholic beverages
  • breakfast in Grand Cafe
  • free internet
  • box of 4 chocolates

I was not given a harbor view room.
We're at the GH HKG using FFN right now and did not get the chocolates. Maybe they're not doing that this year.

We did however, get a corner room facing the harbor.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
They didn't explicitly say what the diamond amenity might be, but they did give us a fresh fruit basket with bananas, grapes and apples, replenished daily.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Here goes my first stay as Hyatt GP member/ diamond

Did some running between the InterConti and the GP in Hong Kong over the last weeks.

Staff at this hotel is excellent, in all areas. Front desk, lounge, bellboys. No snotty attitudes at all.

Recevied a letter with all diamond benefits plus some (meagre) fruit plate and water in the room.

Club lounge is very so-so. One or two hot dishes in the evening, some cold stuff, nothing exciting, smallish spread of "standard" liquor. No alcoholic beverage outside happy hour.

Breakfast at club is very good - I prefer the small club atmosphere over the main restaurant. Had breakfast at main restaurant one morning, very impressive spread, fabolous service.

Upgrade was from cheapest --> non-harbour view club room
Second stay from cheapest harbour view --> harbour view club

Harbour view is not really worth it - as the really great view is looking towards HK Island, not towards Kowloon or Central at an angle ... but that's just my opinion

Location not so good. I knew this before, but since I'm pretty much relying on public transport in HK (it's faster than a taxi to the places I go) it was quite a walk to the next MTR - and I resorted to go by taxi which took a while.

Room style is a bit old fashioned, and I reckon there will be a facelift soon; if not they'll have a hard time keeping up with the other 5* in HKG, which are apparently "continuously" renovating....

Overall, a great stay. Nonetheless, since I don't really need a lounge in Hong Kong, I'd prefer having a suite etc. Thinking about the room rate (<3000 HKD/night) and the overall value of the stay - eyewatering, really.

Will try the other Hyatts in Kowloon next time, whenever there's time for some leisure entertainment in this great city.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 22, 2010 at 7:36 am
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Does anyone have a recent stay experience ?

I just redeemed 2 FreeNights for the GH Hong Kong. How easy is it to get to from the Airport, arriving ~ 5PM. I usually prefer to take the train but to get to HKI...

Not even so sure anymore if that was a wise choice et all.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the train, and a cab from HK terminus or -- if there are no cabs and long lines (it happens) -- there is a free shuttle bus to the convention center which connects to the hotel.

I am not sure how the poster above you can justify calling the club lounge so-so. If you are into appetizer meals, you can easily make a dinner out of what they serve in the evening. I thought it was great.

The walk to the MRT takes about 6 minutes and the walk to the Star ferry about the same. I am not an athlete but I still cannot imagine how this can be called "quite a walk." However there is a small secret: both are shorter if you exit the lift on the mezzanine, turn left, at the end turn left again, and walk through the entrance to the convention center to the elevated walkway to the MRT (or ferry). Maybe the poster above you never found that route.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: KF Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Does anyone have a recent stay experience ?

I just redeemed 2 FreeNights for the GH Hong Kong. How easy is it to get to from the Airport, arriving ~ 5PM. I usually prefer to take the train but to get to HKI...

Not even so sure anymore if that was a wise choice et all.
As you'll be arriving during rush hour, I advise against taking a taxi as it would take very long and cost alot.

I would recommend taking the airport express train to Hongkong station which costs 100HKD and takes 45mins, at Hongkong station, you can take a taxi, it would take about 15mins and ~40HKD IIRC.

A new road just opened up between the GH and Hongkong station so traffic should be quite smooth even during rush hour.

When departing, Airport express Hongkong station is very convenient as well as it has in-town check-in counters.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Take the train, and a cab from HK terminus or -- if there are no cabs and long lines (it happens) -- there is a free shuttle bus to the convention center which connects to the hotel.

I am not sure how the poster above you can justify calling the club lounge so-so.

The walk to the MRT takes about 6 minutes and the walk to the Star ferry about the same. I am not an athlete but I still cannot imagine how this can be called "quite a walk."
Haha, thanks - these were exactly the two bullet points that got my attention !

I will stick to it then and use the described shortcuts.

5-10 Minutes walk is really a convenient distance. It's vacation so I dont have have to hike that in a business dress, I can walk off the food from the lounge ! ^
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realize - I arrive on a Saturday ! Is there a considerable Rush Hour in HK ?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:34 am

I don't think traffic will be heavy on Saturday as its not a working day in HK, you should get to GHHK from HK station in 15mins
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by meng79
I don't think traffic will be heavy on Saturday as its not a working day in HK, you should get to GHHK from HK station in 15mins
Saturday traffic should be a non-event as described, but if it is, or if you are back during a rush hour, its also very easy to get to the GH via MTR. Just get off at the Wanchai stop and walk (~5 mins).

Regarding the advice above about the walk from the Star Ferry. It is certainly accurate (~5 min walk), but be sure you are at the correct Star Ferry dock - Wanchai not Central. The walk from Cental is a lot longer.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:43 pm

I won't recommend MTR, its packed to the gills every evening even on weekends.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I'll be in town in about a week and had been planning to redeem 7 nights of BWB at the GHHK. I'm starting to wonder if I might do better at a different location (HR Tsim Sha Tsui, perhaps) in terms of amenities/space. I realize the Club is supposed to be over the top awesome, but I'm going to need to spend quite a bit of time in the evenings doing work. The only consideration is I'll need to get to the Cyberport (HK Island) on several days, which might be more of a pain. Should I be concerned about mediocre treatment as a Diamond? I'm a bit more interested in space than view, if it matters.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I decided to go with this property for my BWB redemption because I did ultimately want to be on HK Island. I was a bit out of it at check-in, but things went quite smoothly. They had me pre-blocked into a Harborview King on 25 and let me know I had club access nonetheless. Bowl of fruit as an amenity, and with the usual profusion of diamond welcome letters, an apology that the men's steam room was out of commission.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:06 am

Does the airport express shuttle bus H1 go to Grand Hyatt Hong Kong? I saw Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre on its stop list, but not GH HK. How is the walk between the bus stop and GH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.