Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm have an upcoming trip to Japan where I'm planning on doing 4-5 nights in Tokyo and 4-5 nights in Kyoto and/or Osaka.

I've heard that Kyoto is beautiful but a little quiet. So I'm guessing that Kyoto is better for daytime and Osaka is better for nightlife? Is that accurate?

The HR Osaka is extremely cheap (10k yen / night) but it looks to be in a terrible location. Another open if the HR Kyoto which seems nicer, and is well over 2x the price. So I could split my time between the two hotels (a couple of nights in each) or I could just pick one and make trips to the other city, or split timr between the HR Kyoto and a non-Hyatt in Osaka that's more centrally located.

The problem is, if I'm at either of the Hyatts and go out at night in Osaka, and stay out after the buses and trains stop (do they stop? how late?)... how easy is it to get back to the hotel? Am I looking at a somewhat reasonable taxi ride? Is it easy to find a taxi? Do I just need to stay out drinking until public transportation starts back up? Are there bars that are open all night like there are in Tokyo?

Also... in these cities, is it relatively easy to get by as a non-Japanese speaker? (I find that Tokyo is extremely easy for this)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm have an upcoming trip to Japan where I'm planning on doing 4-5 nights in Tokyo and 4-5 nights in Kyoto and/or Osaka.

I've heard that Kyoto is beautiful but a little quiet. So I'm guessing that Kyoto is better for daytime and Osaka is better for nightlife? Is that accurate?

The HR Osaka is extremely cheap (10k yen / night) but it looks to be in a terrible location. Another open if the HR Kyoto which seems nicer, and is well over 2x the price. So I could split my time between the two hotels (a couple of nights in each) or I could just pick one and make trips to the other city, or split timr between the HR Kyoto and a non-Hyatt in Osaka that's more centrally located.

The problem is, if I'm at either of the Hyatts and go out at night in Osaka, and stay out after the buses and trains stop (do they stop? how late?)... how easy is it to get back to the hotel? Am I looking at a somewhat reasonable taxi ride? Is it easy to find a taxi? Do I just need to stay out drinking until public transportation starts back up? Are there bars that are open all night like there are in Tokyo?

Also... in these cities, is it relatively easy to get by as a non-Japanese speaker? (I find that Tokyo is extremely easy for this)
I wouldn't even both with HR Osaka if you want to be in the city proper. Go with a Marriott, Conrad or IC. I've only used it when I had a car and was driving to a ryokan the next day or doing Universal.

I would do the new PH in Kyoto if you can get it on points.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
You're very brave...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can get it on pts, but 30k pts is still $600 worth of pts per night. Plus I'm missing out on earning during the double points promo.

The HR Kyoto is only 84,500 yen for 3 nights with the stay 2 nights, get 1 free promo (admittedly , nonrefundable, but at this point I can lock my plans down). That's about $255/night. Is the PH really worth well over double what the HR is?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:36 pm

The HR Osaka is extremely cheap (10k yen / night) but it looks to be in a terrible location.
I love the HR Osaka. The location can be made to work. It works for my day work in the city. I wouldn't even consider trying to make it work for late nights out in the city. There is a reason it is cheap. Its not because of low labor costs or construction costs, wide profit margins on food an beverages. It's demand and location
serfty and OsakaWino like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I can get it on pts, but 30k pts is still $600 worth of pts per night. Plus I'm missing out on earning during the double points promo.

The HR Kyoto is only 84,500 yen for 3 nights with the stay 2 nights, get 1 free promo (admittedly , nonrefundable, but at this point I can lock my plans down). That's about $255/night. Is the PH really worth well over double what the HR is?
Depends what room you're getting at the HR. I can only stay at a suite there and that's a total crapshoot depending on occupancy.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Stayed here a week and a half ago. The shuttle is god sent, it can run between 20-25 mins one way. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Now if there was no shuttle, I wouldn't consider this location, depending how your night goes, you will be basically running on the shuttle's time.

I find most of my Japan trips being on 1+ hour train rides, there's a lot of idle time.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
We stayed here just the weekend before last and the shuttle was indeed very convenient as it connects directly from the hotel to Ōsaka Umeda station. Though it doesn't run past 11PM if I remember correctly.
Pointsloop likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:08 am

It's cheap because of the location. I used the shuttle a lot, but if you miss it, you're looking at taxi ride. Estimated taxi cost from major points and shuttle schedule is available on the hotel's transportation page: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...transportation

I did use local transit to go to a restaurant (Kashiwaya) and that was not so bad, I would say public transportation for Osaka is better than Kyoto. Use HyperDia between certain destinations to get a sense of public transport. When we stayed at HR Kyoto (same trip), we took a taxi and walked more than anything, we only took the bus if it was later at night and the bus looked emptier and train if it happened to be on our way. Taxis should be pretty easy to find in both cities.

Hardware wise, the HR Osaka is a little more worn compared to HR Kyoto, but the room I had was large, clean, and everything worked as it should. Kyoto is generally a much smaller room.

You can get by with just English in both cities, a little harder than Tokyo, but if you can pick up/understand a few phrases in Japanese (even read a little hiragana/katakana), it will help immensely.

While it is non-Hyatt, if you can swing it, I recommend Conrad Osaka if in Osaka. I would not mind staying again at HR Osaka, but the location is the main concern with this property.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tearex
It's cheap because of the location. I used the shuttle a lot, but if you miss it, you're looking at taxi ride. Estimated taxi cost from major points and shuttle schedule is available on the hotel's transportation page: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...transportation

I did use local transit to go to a restaurant (Kashiwaya) and that was not so bad, I would say public transportation for Osaka is better than Kyoto. Use HyperDia between certain destinations to get a sense of public transport. When we stayed at HR Kyoto (same trip), we took a taxi and walked more than anything, we only took the bus if it was later at night and the bus looked emptier and train if it happened to be on our way. Taxis should be pretty easy to find in both cities.

Hardware wise, the HR Osaka is a little more worn compared to HR Kyoto, but the room I had was large, clean, and everything worked as it should. Kyoto is generally a much smaller room.

You can get by with just English in both cities, a little harder than Tokyo, but if you can pick up/understand a few phrases in Japanese (even read a little hiragana/katakana), it will help immensely.

While it is non-Hyatt, if you can swing it, I recommend Conrad Osaka if in Osaka. I would not mind staying again at HR Osaka, but the location is the main concern with this property.
Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice. It sounds like the HR Osaka is a nice hotel but doesn't really meet my needs. I'll check it the Conrad; I think I have an Amex offer for them. And I have whenever Hilton status you get for free with the Amex Plat, whatever that's worth (probably not much...)
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:00 pm

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice. It sounds like the HR Osaka is a nice hotel but doesn't really meet my needs. I'll check it the Conrad; I think I have an Amex offer for them. And I have whenever Hilton status you get for free with the Amex Plat, whatever that's worth (probably not much...)
Not to go too OT, but I also have Hilton Gold status via the AmEx Plat and it got me free breakfast, a nice welcome amenity, and an 'upgrade' to a premium view room from a base room, so it counted for something. If you book it, just remember to look straight out of the elevator when you first exit to the lobby. The view is breathtaking.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
What are the globalist upgrade odds at this hotel? Would like to spend a week here - have a day's work in Osaka but am figuring out whether I want to extend the week to make most of the promo before its end. The rates are quite good as usual, but given that I will be mostly working during the day, would really appreciate a suite upgrade. Occupancy from faux bookings seems quiet low (as to be expected - both Tokyo and Osaka are on emergency restrictions).
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by porphyra
What are the globalist upgrade odds at this hotel? Would like to spend a week here - have a day's work in Osaka but am figuring out whether I want to extend the week to make most of the promo before its end. The rates are quite good as usual, but given that I will be mostly working during the day, would really appreciate a suite upgrade. Occupancy from faux bookings seems quiet low (as to be expected - both Tokyo and Osaka are on emergency restrictions).
Use a TSU? For a whole week it would be a good use.

IIRC, whenever I have stayed here without using one, I've not received a suite.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Use a TSU? For a whole week it would be a good use.

IIRC, whenever I have stayed here without using one, I've not received a suite.
Alas, no TSU. I got globalist LY as part of the corporate status challenge so am Globlist lite. I will likely hit 60+ nights this year but not anytime soon. That's why I asked. I imagine then Hyatt is kind of like Bonvoy too - in theory Titanium/Amb and Globalists are eligible for a suite upgrade - in practice it is a different matter altogether. I do have decent suite upgrade odds with Marriott though, but decided to start looking at Hyatt LY. Haven't yet been upgraded to a suite yet - even in relatively empty hotels (though do get room upgrades often).

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by porphyra
Alas, no TSU. I got globalist LY as part of the corporate status challenge so am Globlist lite. I will likely hit 60+ nights this year but not anytime soon. That's why I asked. I imagine then Hyatt is kind of like Bonvoy too - in theory Titanium/Amb and Globalists are eligible for a suite upgrade - in practice it is a different matter altogether. I do have decent suite upgrade odds with Marriott though, but decided to start looking at Hyatt LY. Haven't yet been upgraded to a suite yet - even in relatively empty hotels (though do get room upgrades often).

Thanks.
More likely to default upgrade into a "Club Access Premium" (it used to be called a Club Deluxe) rather than a suite. It is a corner room with an excellent bathroom. We actually preferred it over the entry-level Regency Suite because of the better view and better bathroom, but the suite has a bit less wear on it. If you really want the suite, I would reach out and ask for it before your stay. I imagine they would be happy to have you stay for a week. HR Osaka's business model was heavily dependent on inbound trade, which is now nonexistent, and on business conferences and weddings, both of which are also likely pretty close to zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.