Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Just concluded a one night stay for 2 rooms. We are very happy with the recognition and the treatment here. Booked 2 King Bed rooms and got the following by the awesome FD associate, Jazmine:

- First room upgraded to a Jr. Suite facing east on the 12th floor
- 2nd room upgraded to a Santorini Suite facing west (pool area) also on the 12th floor

The Santorini suite was amazing with full kitchen and utensils (but who has the time to cook), office room, living room including a dining area, a bedroom, and a bathroom and a half. I'd say the suite is as big as combined 4 regular rooms and had two different entry doors. Very well appointed with many windows to provide much light. Bed were very comfortable and the shower had a decent water pressure. Oddly enough, this suite, did not have a bathtub not we are into taking baths, and neither did the Jr. suite. Plenty to eat and drink during breakfast and happy hour and the food was delicious. Superb service at the 16th floor Regency Club at both happy hour (by Ms. Marina) and breakfast. I requested sparkling wine during happy hour and a bottle of bubbly was promptly popped up to serve me that refreshing cold libation (honor bar). Valet parking was discounted at 50% to $20, but I found out that there was plenty street parking steps south of the property at University Center Lane. Huge pool and whirlpool complete with foosball table and other games. Several christmas parties were on last night (Saturday).

All in all very successful stay and have nothing bad to say about this place other than not being directly at La Jolla Cove beach area.

Full album of the stay is here:

Forgot to add, great value for the money. Each room cost us $115 plus tax and fees.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:28 pm

WARNING: "Destination Fee" $20/night as of May 1, 2018

I just completed a stay at this property. I was surprised to see the addition of a $20/night "Destination Fee" to my bill. I was told that it was implemented May 1, 2018. The details of the fee are not easy to find on the website, but this is what it includes:

Hyatt Regency La Jolla - $20 Destination Fee
High speed premium internet
Local calls and faxes
15% off DRIFT eat+drink food and beverage purchases
Outdoor games
Family activities
Water toys
Cabana use (subject to availability)
Coffee in the lobby between (5am-7am) and afternoon refreshments (2pm-4pm)
Retail discounts at prestigious La Jolla stores and shops
Discounts on surf and paddlboard lessons with Surf Divas
Special discounted tickets to SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, and San Diego Safari Park
Two bottles of water placed in the guest rooms daily
Full use of tennis courts with rackets and balls

I wasn't actually told about the fee when I checked in and therefore during my stay I didn't know that it included these so-called "benefits". I didn't get water replenished in my room and I stayed on the Regency Club floor.

On the plus side, I did get the fee waived when I pointed out that no one told me about it. Over several stays, I have found the staff at this property to be very friendly.

I like this property (when not wanting to stay in San Diego downtown) for its easy access to highways, free street parking nearby, and decent Regency Club. It's a shame about the cash grab fee. These resort and destination fees have gotten out of hand!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This hotel now shines! I can't speak for the entire property, but as one who has stayed here more than a dozen times in the last few years, I am aware of the positive changes. On a 1 night stay about a month ago, regular room, I was happy to see a freshly-painted room and upgraded bathroom. This week I stayed in Regency Floor and I was so impressed with how fresh the room appeared. The linens were top quality and bed was wonderful. Beautiful view. Food and service in the Regency Club, although not great, was fine. Not fancy, but food was plentiful and the lounge was comfortable. Very hospitable staff So happy to have ability to sleep with open windows This is a great Category 4 option.. Perfect for anyone considering visit to any of UCSD or Scripps Medical facilities
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Globallist
Anyone with a recent stay here?

globalist review? Free parking on paid stay? Lounge ok? Location?

THANKS
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Anyone with a recent stay here?

globalist review? Free parking on paid stay? Lounge ok? Location?
THANKS
Location great if you want to be in beautiful La Jolla .Great shopping restaurants breath taking local area beaches with ocean views and beautiful neighborhoods
Hotel has always been nice but I don't have recent experience in their club.
Historically the hotel has had one of the weakest Club lounge offerings of almost any Southern California Hyatt I experienced and kept cost cutting till I no longer returned
Manchester Grand is vastly superior massive club lounge, Hyatt Regency Mission Bay superior breakfast in the Red Marlin and The Park Hyatt Carlsbad also very good breakfast
Perhaps others can chime in if there has been any significant improvements in the La Jolla F&B offerings in the club more recently
Parking on award points stays are complimentary for either self or valet parking as per my contact @ the hotel.
Enjoy your time in our beautiful city

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 12, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:46 pm

I can't believe it's been so long since anyone has graced this hotel with a review.So I will dust off the cob webs here
Returned to this property after many years.I would stay here in the past on occasion but stopped after the club offerings went to the dogs with stingy offerings
Manchester and Mission Bay bury them under normal circumstances
Oddly it all worked better without the club as it was a one night stay which was a test and my first stay anywhere since my return from the Hyatt in Mau Mid March
I wasn't aware of the free parking promotion for Globalists so I parked on the street which was fine I could use the walk.
Walked into the near empty lobby two FD agents one talking away on the phone another agent gabbing away with a guest from Dallas.
Finally I got checked in and as I am walking away FD agent says I see you like a premium brand sparkling water in your profile let me get you that for your complimentary water .
Very nice touch.Never happens at Hilton and Marriott they are too cheap
Room upgrade was a large oversized room or what I would call studio suite.There was a bit of a musty smell to the room not unacceptable at all
Perfect set up.Only negatives windows are locked or jammed.Was hoping to bring in fresh air
Did a conference call the next day I went to find a pen and paper none to take notes! Removed for Covid?Used my I pad
The best part of the stay? Room service lovely streamlined but adequate menu all served bare bones all in cardboard and a paper bag
When the knock on the door came they brought the bag up on a rolling cart
The server in his mask stepped back brilliantly when I opened the door and I took the bag and he wished me a nice day
Toasted bagel smoked salmon cream cheese sliced avocado tomato and a little cup of fresh fruit a nice way to start the day and felt safe and taken care of
My next stay was at a Hilton simply disgusting and unsafe.Trust Hyatt way more.Bottom line very good value by Globalist standards for price paid
hotelfanatic, bbbb and markko like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:10 pm

July 2021 trip review

I booked this stay for my parents as a guest of honor stay, and am writing their thoughts on the trip. Upgraded to a king corner room, which has a good bed and the windows even open. The location is not close to the beach, but has shopping nearby, and the beach is about 3 miles away. The staff were excellent in trying to ensure all needs are met during the stay. Covid protocols were taken seriously by staff. The food at breakfast had generous portions and was tasty, and even offered starbucks for the drinks. The restaurant was closed for the weekdays so it was room service, but you could have it delivered to the terrace or the pool if you wanted to eat outside, food was delivered on time and the terrace has two fire places. The pancakes were delicious and had large serving sizes. The junior olympic pool has two lanes dedicated to lane swimming and uses salt instead of chlorine. The toiletries are small, but you can always ask for more. When the staff found out it was my dad's 80th birthday they delivered a bottle of wine. The lobby is very welcoming and has tvs and books making it a good waiting area. Floyd and Aspin were two really great staff members that went out of these way to make sure the trip was a great experience. Would post photos, but I do not have enough posts to be able to post photos, may add later.
SanDiego1K and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Any more recent updates? Experiences with suite upgrades? Globalist breakfast still via room service? Per the website, the breakfast restaurant is only open Fri-Sun. Is the pool heated? How is water temp this time of year?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:46 pm

I stayed there a couple weeks ago for a week on a Premium Suite points + cash rate so I can't comment on the suite upgrade. One thing I can say about the VIP suite that I stayed in was the decor, especially the small kitchen area and master bath, is in major need of a reno and some of the furniture is worn out as well. I wasn't digging the black toilet.

Globalist breakfast is restaurant Fri - Sun and rest of the days is through room service or their Market area in the Lobby. They are pretty generous covering any extra fee that is applied to room service orders. This is probably my favorite pool out of all the Hyatts I've stayed at in the US because they use salt instead of chlorine and have the 2 dedicated lanes and a 3rd lane for lap swimming. The pool is heated, but the water still is slightly chilly even in the afternoon since its in the shade during that time. The morning is better.
JJ804 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:01 am

I just wanted to check, does a suite get you access to the Regency Club? If not, how do you book a Club accessible room via points? I looked on the app and the only available rooms are standard and suites. And if there are specific Club rooms, anyone know if I would have a good chance to get a free upgrade to the room as Explorist?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:30 pm

Going Going Going SOLD!
Asking price 116 Mil
Selling price 216 Mil

I've always liked the hotel but preferred Manchester or Mission Bay for their club lounges or breakfasts
Also liked the layout of the hotel.
Had no idea that the hotel was designed by Legendary Architect Michael Graves!
It sounds like there is a fair chance the Hyatt brand might remain in place based on the financials shared in the article

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ale-in-5-years

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 12, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We just stayed here for the second time and really enjoyed the place. We have relatives in the area, so this is a great Christmas location and well-priced at this time of year.

I did speak with someone at the front desk who seemed knowledgeable about the sale and she indicated that only "part" of the hotel was actually sold, Not sure what this means, or if correct, but she was quite sure that there would continue to be a Hyatt here. We are booked for next Christmas, so we shall see.

As Globalist staying on points, parking was free. We prefer self to valet parking for convenience, and both were included. In the end, we felt that the ample street parking would be more convenient even over free parking as the garage location is less than ideal.

One interesting facet is that, instead of included breakfast straight up, it's $30/day/person. This covers breakfast for the most part, unless one gets the buffet and then tax/tip would exceed. As it is. we exceed by $1.05 one day (although like $4 under the prior day) and all was wiped out (not sure if they combined across days or just made it go away, and we didn't care either way).

The $30 can be used for breakfast or other items (evening food, market) so this is a potential upgrade to the benefit for some. Possibly a downgrade to those who might want the buffet.

Breakfast is back up to daily in the Shor restaurant.

Cheers.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I just spent a night here. Don't know if it is just for suites, but there was a note in my room offering free laundry and pressing for up to 12 items per stay. That's quite nice on longer stays!
Does anyone know if they still offer this?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Does anyone know if they still offer this?
Thank You for the question.I was never aware it existed till I saw your post inquiring
According to my contact at the hotel this benefit is no longer offered
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just checked out here. Used an upgrade to get one of the studio suites over thanksgiving. Hotel was very busy so was a nice use of the CSU imo. Suite is large, but studio style (not my fave). Shower head is awful.

Breakfast is included for Globs although we are told we are given a $35 credit which is not enough to include it (because the buffet is $35 plus taxes and tip). Still, at checkout they removed every charge related to breakfast. On Thanksgiving AM breakfast was a 30 min wait, so we were able to use our $35pp credit at their cafe. With $70 between me and the wifey, we bought a candy store worth of stuff including fruits, snacks, and candies. It's truly insane how much Hyatt gives away in this style (for those who prefer to eat breakfast elsewhere). Note breakfast is served daily, a la carte M-F and buffet on Sat/Sun.

FD and Valet service is friendly but self parking is a very high $35 per night. No choice though, City of La Jolla doesn't allow overnight street parking without a permit so no parking from 2am-6am on the empty streets outside the hotel. Perhaps that was suspended over Thanksgiving, but I didn't bother to find out. There is no lounge not sure why other posters are claiming there is one (perhaps there used to be)? Gym is small, but usable.

Hotel is near a Whole Foods and a nice mall - but is not walkable to the the cute village of La Jolla. Personally, unless you need Hyatt nights for some reason, I'd try to stay closer to the village of La Jolla itself. Not sure there are many properties there though.

Internet was really poor at this property. I spent an hour over multiple days trying to get it working. Haven't done that in the USA since 2005.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.