Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyone ever parked on the street if they arrived at night and left before say 7 a.m.???
I have done this several times without any problem.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyone ever parked on the street if they arrived at night and left before say 7 a.m.???
We always park on the street and have never had a problem finding a spot. Although sometimes the hotel gets pretty crowded, and the available spot is a bit of a walk away.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do they have free wifi anywhere at this property?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do they have free wifi anywhere at this property?
Not from any of the rooms that I have been put in. I did not check the lobby.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:35 pm

They seem to put Diamonds to the top floor. Because of the configuration of the roof many times these rooms are small.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Ok here is my review

Stayed at the LaJolla property checking in on a Wed afternoon and checking out early Saturday morning. No problem at all with check in using FFN's. Got my 1W bonus without a hitch and it posted promptly. There (at this time anyway) are no Gx bonus' to get though.

Got room on the 8th floor, a corner king but didn't get a suite as I was keeping my fingers crossed for. Was given a RC floor key for the lounge too.. the lounge was open Friday night and Sat. a.m. as well. This lounge has a computer for free and a printer. Pretty good foods in the RC. Its an honor bar system up there. Nice staff too especially the lady in the a.m.

I did the street parking thing; one night I parked closer than if I had paid the $17 self park fee ($23 for valet) and the two other nights I parked about 1/4 mile away but on the street. Once I was on LaJolla Village Drive and the other 2 times was on the side street behind the hotel. Its relatively easy to find free parking here if you don't mind a little walk.

Since I was on FFN's I only had to pay $3.98 per night in tax (not sure why this wasn't covered though but I didn't ask either).

This is a T-Mobile property (unlike Islandia; or at least the last time I visited the Islandia) which was good for me

The gym, the Sporting club at Aventine is great; as a diamond I get in for $10 for the day; the hyatt shares the pool with the sporting club, it is heated too.. there also is a hot tub. Watch out though, often there weren't any towels down there.

I didn't eat b/f or any meals in the restaurant as I ate b/f in the lounge and never had lunch or dinner there. Also didn't go to but there is a Flemings 50-75 feet out the front door on the Lobby level and a couple of other places too.. pricey ones at that.

I love their bar "Michaels"; not cheap but it is a nice bar.

You can walk to a mall about a mile maybe a little less up LaJolla Villiage drive. Not sure of the name of it; but it has a hockey rink inside of it near the food court. There are all kinds of other stores like whole foods, drug stores etc just across the 5 Fwy at your first light go left and its on your left.

Went to LaJolla Shores to take the kids to the beach. I can honestly say that beach sucked except for free parking. It was a real easy ten mile drive to sea world though.

I do like this property and do recommend it. ^
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Stayed at this property this week. Upgraded to the Hospitality Suite. Self parking is now $20. Saw plenty of street parking spots on the street next to the hotel. Nice property, smooth check-in/check-out process. RC has only one big table to sit around eating breakfast. Services are very good all around. Needed to purchase the T-mobile day pass for the complimentary diamond internet access and it was not charged at check-out.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Back from recent stay and might be able to fill a few gaps. My Diamond status got me the Regency Club level in very good room in a sold out hotel I had booked way early at much less than what they had been asking for the last few rooms. Regency Club itself is well decorated but small. Attendants were great, but offerings were sparse at best. (No dessert and no afternoon cookies. What is the place coming to)!

The hotel is part of a much larger development that includes office space and a dining complex. There is a hotel restaurant, and several upscale and varied places half a block across from the entry (none of which we tried, but we had other plans).

Self-parking was easily available on the weekend, but I assume much more crowded during the week. Beyond that its the worst of both worlds. The spaces are too small, and its not the hotel's garage so no waiving the parking fee. There is street parking, but mostly a significant distance away, with much of that on a six-lane street. The scary part is people were parking on the far side and running across the street to save the $20. I'm either too old and too slow to think about that one, or old enough to have learned some things are worth $20 to avoid (choose your own answer depending on foot speed, finances, and sense of daring).

Mrs. Jayer loved the place, but then again if it says Hyatt on the front and has all the coffee she can drink she gets all happy walking through the door. I'm a bit more reserved about the place, but then I never quite know what to make of full-serve hotels in the suburbs. I tend to be happier with the downtown location or clear out in the sticks.

There are two decent computers in the RC with 15 minute time limits and "no children" signs. All were quite helpful in adjusting travel arrangements.

Last edited by jayer; Jan 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jayer
Back from recent stay. My Diamond status got me the Regency Club level in very good room in a sold out hotel I had booked way early at much less than what they had been asking for the last few rooms. Regency Club itself is well decorated but small. Attendants were great, but offerings were sparse at best. (No dessert and no afternoon cookies. What is the place coming to)!

The hotel is part of a much larger development that includes office space and a dining complex. There is a hotel restaurant, and several upscale and varied places half a block across from the entry (none of which we tried, but we had other plans).

Thank You for your update ^It was just as I suspected. I stopped staying at the property about 2 years ago.
There was a time I was positive about this hotel in the past.However that changed for me as area competition
has consistently done a much better job including both local Hyatts and hotels outside the Hyatt family of hotels.
The rooms at Hyatt La Jolla are very well maintained attractive but a tad bit dated.
Last I was there they still didn't have flat screen tvs.The staff vary here but typically they have hired some really great folks over the years.
The location great if one wants to stay in La Jolla.The Negatives:The health club partnership charges everybody and anybody that uses its facility Diamonds or other.
The Regency Club became stingy over these past few years.Your words were way to kind

In comparison Manchester Grand and my favorite Hyatt Mission Bay both do an outstanding job in the Regency Club with daily offerings.And when the Regency Club is closed the restaurants at Mission Bay and Manchester do a stellar job at breakfast.When I add up the cost of the health club at the La Jolla property and fact I dislike apples for breakfast as my morning fruit and the one other single produce offering they may feature I realized it might be time to move on.
This hotel in years past did a satisfactory job without question.
This is nothing more then penny pinching.What are they thinking?We won't notice after 50 nights a year in other Hyatt Hotels?

I called Hyatt La Jollas management once who was not in any way interested in improving the offerings or offering breakfast outside of the Regency Club to those who are not satisfied with their budget cuts.They said nobody notices but you

I brought many dozens of bookings to Mission Bay Hyatt since then as they at least understand how to take care of the customer without any suggestions or prompting.Awesome hotel.
Hyatt corporate allows Hyatt Regency La Jolla to cut these corners. Thankfully other Hyatts in Southern California and elsewhere do a superior job making Hyatt proud.
Some may be happy just the way Hyatt La Jolla is.I have been with Hyatt for decades and the property while still nice is below average only because of the Regency Club.
Funny thing is before they renovated the Regency Club they hand nice offerings.
For those unhappy there is a fantastic branch of Whole Foods a few minutes from the hotel with outstanding selections of fruit coffee or other snacks all day and night.My last few final stays with them I skipped the club completely.Though not part of the Diamond benefits
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thank You for your update ^It was just as I suspected. I stopped staying at the property about 2 years ago.
There was a time I was positive about this hotel in the past.However that changed for me as area competition
has consistently done a much better job including both local Hyatts and hotels outside the Hyatt family of hotels.
The rooms at Hyatt La Jolla are very well maintained attractive but a tad bit dated.
Last I was there they still didn't have flat screen tvs.
We stayed there Saturday night (along with the New York Jets) and they do have flat screen tvs in the rooms now.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I stayed at this hotel for a week a few months back. I have no elite status at Hyatt to was not in a special room.

I was very dissapointed in this hotel. The web site suggests that it is a resort-spa type hotel. It does have an attached Spa that I was not interested in (and my wife didn't come with me). However I found that the resort image promoted by the web page was a distortion of reality.

I thought the room was OK but verging on tawdrey. I have stayed in nicer rooms at Holiday Inns.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005
We stayed there Saturday night (along with the New York Jets) and they do have flat screen tvs in the rooms now.
better late then never appreciate the update
things could be looking up if they would up their RC offerings
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I stayed at this hotel for a week a few months back. I have no elite status at Hyatt to was not in a special room.

I was very dissapointed in this hotel. The web site suggests that it is a resort-spa type hotel. It does have an attached Spa that I was not interested in (and my wife didn't come with me). However I found that the resort image promoted by the web page was a distortion of reality.

I thought the room was OK but verging on tawdrey. I have stayed in nicer rooms at Holiday Inns.
Not any Holiday Inns I have stayed in
Wonder what room you received?The room typically in the past was perfectly nice and I would say a bit above industry average
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Since I reopened the door on this thread perhaps I should address some of the questions that followed.

Room size was good and I'd give the interior a 9 out of 10. Not a brand new remodel, but still quite nice.

As to the hotel billing itself as a resort location, well, I'd say its a business hotel even thought its not downtown. If you are going to San Diego for the water, its not even down the street. I guess the ocean has to be close, but if walk-out water access is your goal its not the right place.

As to the hotel being in La Jolla, well, it is, but its not in the quaint part of La Jolla, and if you want to go to the quaint part you will be driving over to it not walking over to it. Certainly not the walk-out retro-commercial location like Key West or Palm Springs.

Now if you plan on ranging everywhere from the border to Oceanside, it might just be your place. Visible from and close to I-5, even if its a bit quirky to get to and from.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
My only gripe with this hotel (and plenty of other Hyatt's) was that there are no convenient wall sockets near the beds. The only one I found is behind the bed and one needs to push down the mattress a bit for accessing it.

BTW, I'll be back at this hotel on tomorrow Thursday and probably Monday next week as well.

Last edited by heffa; Jan 20, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.