Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:12 pm

We have stayed at several BC hotels, and last stayed at the PH last winter shortly before COVID hit. As others have said, the PH is nothing to write home about. If you were plopped into a standard room without knowing the franchise, you might think that you are in a nicer Holiday Inn. The Ritz is by far a much nicer hotel, but it sits by itself in Bachelors Gulch. They will shuttle you over to the village. We actually like the Osprey, which is right by the Strawberry lift.

The PH is perfectly acceptable, but what you are paying for is the excellent location. We will definitely stay there again, so no complaints.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Would you recommend PH Beaver Creek for a family that doesn’t ski or snowboard at all?

We liked the idea of the property because it’s a Park Hyatt that’s in the US that’s secluded and in off season (before 11/20) the rates are reasonable.

Other than that they have an Exhale Spa on property, we are hoping the pool area is nice (many have commented that it is quite enjoyable). As far as breakfast it’s been greatly scaled down (from what I’ve read) and 8100 Restaurant from looking at the updated menu looks severely scaled back as well too unfortunately.
Certainly the skiing aspect is main reason why we love the hotel so much but location wise you are still right in the heart of the village. All of the shopping and restaurants are right there. I will say that Beaver Creek offers a free shuttle (make sure to download the app) that you call for as you would an Uber so if you wanted to try the Ritz-Carlton instead you could just use the shuttle to get back and forth, I prefer being right in the village though. Also I'm not sure how the shuttle is going to work this year do to the circumstances. The pool area looks nice but we didn't get a chance to try it out last year so I can't can comment there. We skied all day then then went out for dinners at night during our stay. My wife did use the spa our last day there while my son and I went skiing and had a great experience.

You mentioned that you like the idea of being secluded, the Ritz is definitely more secluded than the Park Hyatt. We also liked the food a little better at the Ritz but again there are a number of restaurants outside of the Park Hyatt within short walking distance. Unfortunately breakfast has been scaled down at every Hyatt we've stayed at post Covid, it just going to be one of those things until business picks ups again. On a separate note, our favorite restaurant in Beaver Creek was off property at Saddleridge, if you've never been go there a night.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Certainly the skiing aspect is main reason why we love the hotel so much but location wise you are still right in the heart of the village. All of the shopping and restaurants are right there. I will say that Beaver Creek offers a free shuttle (make sure to download the app) that you call for as you would an Uber so if you wanted to try the Ritz-Carlton instead you could just use the shuttle to get back and forth, I prefer being right in the village though. Also I'm not sure how the shuttle is going to work this year do to the circumstances. The pool area looks nice but we didn't get a chance to try it out last year so I can't can comment there. We skied all day then then went out for dinners at night during our stay. My wife did use the spa our last day there while my son and I went skiing and had a great experience.

You mentioned that you like the idea of being secluded, the Ritz is definitely more secluded than the Park Hyatt. We also liked the food a little better at the Ritz but again there are a number of restaurants outside of the Park Hyatt within short walking distance. Unfortunately breakfast has been scaled down at every Hyatt we've stayed at post Covid, it just going to be one of those things until business picks ups again. On a separate note, our favorite restaurant in Beaver Creek was off property at Saddleridge, if you've never been go there a night.
Thanks for the tips and ideas, unfortunately it looks like the SaddleRidge Restaurant is permanently closed now.

Definitely hopefully for a great stay though. We’ve stayed at Hyatt Centric Park City (another ski resort) quite a bit post Covid and everything is running almost the same as pre-Covid. Hoping it’s similar with PH BC since it’s pretty far from major cities and not very crowded.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:41 pm

We have a multi-night stay coming up in a week or so I’ll make sure to post back. We did use a TSU for the guaranteed Suite Upgrade as it’s a special stay for us and the rooms I’ve heard are on the smaller end.

So far for dining we are planning on:

Gondola Pizza
Flame Steakhouse (Vail)

If anyone has any good ideas we’re open to suggestions Originally we planned on eating at 8100 Restaurant because it’s on property and the quality is supposed to be great, but the menu has been greatly reduced with Covid none of the current options look good to us.
I just mentioned this earlier go to Saddleridge. It's the coolest restaurant in the area and we hit most of the best ones in BC. We ate one night in Vail at the Swiss Chalet in the Sonnenalp hotel which was a cool experience as well. I thought Beano's Cabin was overrated and skipped Allie's Cabin after I was told that it was a similar experience. It felt like a tourist trap.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the tips and ideas, unfortunately it looks like the SaddleRidge Restaurant is permanently closed now.

Definitely hopefully for a great stay though. We’ve stayed at Hyatt Centric Park City (another ski resort) quite a bit post Covid and everything is running almost the same as pre-Covid. Hoping it’s similar with PH BC since it’s pretty far from major cities and not very crowded.
That is a bummer, the place was great. It was a museum too. Vail owns the property/restaurant hopefully they'll bring it back in some form. That is good to hear regarding the Hyatt Centric Park City. We have a trip planned there in February. How did you like it there?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold

Have a stay in Fireside suite over NYE. Is the PH really not very crowded? (Honestly, the crowds is what is holding me back from bringing my parents who are in their early 60s). I am assuming that it will be pretty crowded on the on season weekends + holidays. Hopefully I'm wrong!
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tonyr4
That is a bummer, the place was great. It was a museum too. Vail owns the property/restaurant hopefully they'll bring it back in some form. That is good to hear regarding the Hyatt Centric Park City. We have a trip planned there in February. How did you like it there?
Yeah, it’s definitely a bummer as we’d like more options for good meals out and don’t mind the 15-20 minute drive to Vail.

Hyatt Centric Park City is absolutely amazing, the Suite Upgrades for Globalists are very spacious. The property and location are excellent, the Breakfast is so-so, Downtown PC is beautiful. The Pool and Spa are massive and heated year round even in the snow something amazing. Definitely a favorite property for us.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by mbmd
Have a stay in Fireside suite over NYE. Is the PH really not very crowded? (Honestly, the crowds is what is holding me back from bringing my parents who are in their early 60s). I am assuming that it will be pretty crowded on the on season weekends + holidays. Hopefully I'm wrong!
In a normal year, the hotel is typically very busy all winter. I don't know that anyone knows what to expect this winter, and a lot will depend on how things develop between now and then.

I would assume it will be busy, and if it's not busy that probably means COVID is not going well and 60+ may not want to travel at all even if the hotel is empty once you get there.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:43 am

I do have a question for those that have traveled with little ones.

Is the Glamping or In Room Camping tent and sleeping bag for a little one an extra charge? If so, how much is it? It looks really adorable, but I know everything at a Park Hyatt tends to come with a high price tag. One blog seemed to say its complimentary if you get a Suite unless I misread it.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:43 am

I visited PHBC in February 2020 and reviewed -- in short, location is fantastic, and the proximity to lifts and BC village is the entire value proposition (to me). Rooms are mediocre, upgrades tough, and the nicely renovated bar and restaurant were basically day care facilities during apres ski times.

My question/issue is how valuable will that proximity be in January, depending on the Covid protocols? I read the bar is now closed, the spa is on limited service, and the BC shuttle is also now limited. Unsure on the restaurants in BC village. If my stay devolves into reserving a specific lift time, then leaving the mountain and going right back to my room -- not worth the trek from the east coast.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a multi-night stay coming up in a week or so I’ll make sure to post back. We did use a TSU for the guaranteed Suite Upgrade as it’s a special stay for us........
Good to learn that PHBC accepts TSU now. They used to be one of the exclusions.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Good to learn that PHBC accepts TSU now. They used to be one of the exclusions.
My guess is with Covid and low occupancy they decided to give Globalists or people wanting to use a TSU (High level Explorists) a reason to visit. With them being so far from Denver they have no major draw in the off season, especially with Covid.

I was surprised as well when I was looking through the TSU excluded properties back in June and noted they were no longer on there. So I reached out to Hyatt and they said they were allocating the Park Fireside Suite.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:14 am

Just finished up a 4 Night Stay here and here’s my thoughts.

The Front Desk agents, especially Jeff, were really outgoing and we’re very nice/helpful throughout our stay.

We used a TSU to get allocated to the Park Fireside Suite, because it was also a Prive’ booking they moved us to the Highlands Suite because it was off season. The Highlands Suite was pretty small, but still enjoyable for us. I guess the perk of the Fireside Suite is a Fireplace and a Mounted TV. The Highlands Suite was basically a regular room with a smaller connected room having a Small couch, an extra chair, a TV and a Microwave. So if you’re on the fence about booking the Highlands Suite I really wouldn’t pay extra for it.

We requested the “Glamping” kit before arrival and it was set up for our little one when we got there. It was cute and our little one enjoyed it, so that was unique.

Pool/Jacuzzi were heated the whole stay, even when snowing so that was a plus for us. They have 5 Jacuzzis, but only 3 in use likely due to social distancing.

Breakfast -

Friday-Sunday they have a Buffet offering Pancakes/French Toast (alternating by day), Omelet Bar, Avocado Toast, Eggs, Pork Sausage, Bacon, Fruit and pastries.

Weekdays the menu is very limited but something we found unique and good was the Smoked Pork Belly.

Also, note the restaurant closes early weekdays and other times they have a very limited menu.

Beaver Creek Village in general was mostly shut down either due to season or Covid. I’m sure between 11/13-11/20 a lot more will be opening up though.

One strange thing is “Elite Members” (not sure if that means Discoverist and up or Globalist Only) have the option of daily housekeeping, while everyone else can only get it every 4th day.

We didn’t opt for Housekeeping, we just requested towels or toiletries if needed.

They didn’t seem to have a lot of things though that other lower Hyatt properties do have which seemed odd. The slippers they had were the standard white ones, but for some reason they only had small ones. We tried a couple times requesting larger ones as I where size 11 shoes, and they said they didn’t have any. We also asked for Baby Shampoo which is requestable in the app, they didn’t have any or Mouthwash either. Other than that housekeeping was good.

One nice thing was the attached Exhale Spa on property. Being a Globalist and paying an Eligible Rate I was able to take a couple complimentary classes utilizing the Exhale/Globalist benefit. I had to show the manager as the first agent was unaware of it, as well as the manager, that this actually was a benefit, but it worked out.

Another fun thing to note nearby is the Avon Rec Center. They have an indoor water park which you make a reservation for and can use if you have a family and don’t want to swim outside in the winter. We enjoyed it.

I definitely don’t feel like this was a Park Hyatt stay based on the look of the hotel internally or the services/quality. If I had to peg this property as a specific Hyatt brand it would be a Hyatt Centric, and I feel like it would fit right in as a Centric.

Overall I would rate our stay as an 8.5/10 and if the price is right we would return. We landed at Denver Airport and drove the 2.5 hours each way so it was a long ways, but worth it we enjoyed our stay.

P.S. If you are landing in Denver and driving we would HIGHLY recommend Smokin’ Dave’s BBQ on the way to PH BC. Really great Ribs, Chicken and Brisket along with a great menu overall. We decided to try it due to great reviews and it did not disappoint.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I definitely don’t feel like this was a Park Hyatt stay based on the look of the hotel internally or the services/quality. If I had to peg this property as a specific Hyatt brand it would be a Hyatt Centric, and I feel like it would fit right in as a Centric.
I could see it being a Centric if you compare it to the Centric Park City, although Park City though seems like the most "un-Centric" of all the ones i've been to. My concept of the Centric brand after staying at several in the US is a city hotel in a trendy location with stylish modern minimalist decor and smaller rooms. A couple including New Orleans and Key West don't fall as neatly into that mold, but most of the purpose built ones seem to. Maybe BC would be a good candidate for an Unbound or Destination Resort (if they plan to grow that brand)?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
I could see it being a Centric if you compare it to the Centric Park City, although Park City though seems like the most "un-Centric" of all the ones i've been to. My concept of the Centric brand after staying at several in the US is a city hotel in a trendy location with stylish modern minimalist decor and smaller rooms. A couple including New Orleans and Key West don't fall as neatly into that mold, but most of the purpose built ones seem to. Maybe BC would be a good candidate for an Unbound or Destination Resort (if they plan to grow that brand)?
Here’s my take:

The Hyatt Centric name speaks to two things: being “in the middle of the action” and “in the know.” It’s about being in the heart of the action with the locals, having the inside-scoop on the best places to go and always feeling like a welcome visitor, not a tourist.”

To me PH BC fits that description perfectly. It even appears they have residences on property (floors 5 & 6).

Also, yes in my evaluation I did move it more to a Centric based on a similar ski resort, Hyatt Centric Park City. I don’t feel it would be good as Unbound or Destination at all. It’s not unique or boutique enough for Unbound and Destination there’s so many of those nearby it’s over-Saturated. If they were to re-brand I would definitely think it being a Centric would fit it perfectly in comparing it to HC Park City along with the above meaning or goal of the Hyatt Centric Brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.