Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:56 pm

What's the lowest Room category to book at this hotel to get the Suite Upgrade using points?

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:41 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
What's the lowest Room category to book at this hotel to get the Suite Upgrade using points?

Thanks
In order to redeem a Regency Club™ or Grand Club™ upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a Hyatt Resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.).
Resort View is the base level room. Partial Ocean View is the next level up and the minimum needed to use a suite upgrade with points.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by iamfrugal
Staying at the Hyatt Regency Maui in Jan./14.The airport is on the other side of the island it appears.Don't know if we will rent a car.Cab price quoted was $90.True? Any other transportation options? Thanks
There's a shuttle service .. speedi shuttle. they have a web site.

-David
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Vinodavid
They waived our self parking and knocked the resort fee to $15.
Thanks. I seem to remember there were two types of Ocean Suites, at least in Napili tower. One that overlooked more of the (old) self-parking; and the other had more of a direct view of the beach. The latter was bigger in size, albeit slightly. I'm wondering if one can ask for the latter when using the suite upgrade certificate.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by RobbyBobby
I stayed in Napili Towers for 6 nights in the suite on 7th floor but on the inside (did see the hammocks and the kids swimming pools but did NOT see (nor hear for that mater) the construction). We loved it. Seeing whales breaching laying on your bed...priceless. Plus now Spike has two buddies; Mike and Ike and my Wife went crazy about them. Go figure...
DId you have to park at the self-parking over at the other tower? Is that the only option other than valet?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
Resort View is the base level room. Partial Ocean View is the next level up and the minimum needed to use a suite upgrade with points.
Thank you. I talked with a Customer Service agent and he insisted that the minimum I needed to book was the Ocean Suite (which did not make sense).

In regards to Partial Ocean View, if I book using a travel agent or using a AAA discount, I'm assuming the upgrade cannot be applied. Is that correct?

Last edited by NetBrowser07; Apr 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:23 pm

Thank you. I talked with a Customer Service agent and he insisted that the minimum I needed to book was the Ocean Suite (which did not make sense).

In regards to Partial Ocean View, if I book using a travel agent or using a AAA discount, I'm assuming the upgrade cannot be applied. Is that correct?
If you book with a 3rd party, Hyatt cannot modify the reservation to adjust your reserved room type. If you want Hyatt to modify your reservation, you must reserve directly with Hyatt.

You cannot use any discounts if you want to apply a suite upgrade. The terms are literally one sentence, which I included in my first reply and repeat again here:

In order to redeem a Regency Club™ or Grand Club™ upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a Hyatt Resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:36 pm

Called Hyatt to inquire. While the Daily Rate for the Deluxe room runs around $400, if a suite upgrade is needed (with Points), the Daily Rate for the same room goes to $650.

That's why the terms are literally one sentence.. so that the properties and Hyatt can put in whatever terms they want.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:51 pm

Called Hyatt to inquire. While the Daily Rate for the Deluxe room runs around $400, if a suite upgrade is needed (with Points), the Daily Rate for the same room goes to $650.

That's why the terms are literally one sentence.. so that the properties and Hyatt can put in whatever terms they want.
Make your reservation online for the dates you care about. Make sure you book the "Hyatt Daily Rate" rate type. Not advance purchase, not AAA, not a corporate rate. Book at least a Partial Ocean View. This way you will know exactly how much you're expected to pay.

Next call up Gold Passport and ask to apply a suite upgrade with points. They will confirm availability and process the upgrade. Note that suite upgrades are capacity controlled, so there may not be availability on your dates. There's no GP provision to pay a higher rate to access expanded award availability, but if the hotel wants to offer you some other paid upgrade, that's well within their rights. You can always cancel the paid reservation with no penalty as long as it's >7 days prior to checkin.

This property is known to severely restrict award availability, so it's not surprising the suite upgrade is difficult to obtain. If you think they're playing games, you can inquire about suite upgrade availability prior to revealing you already have a reservation at a qualifying rate.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by baliktad
Make your reservation online for the dates you care about. Make sure you book the "Hyatt Daily Rate" rate type. Not advance purchase, not AAA, not a corporate rate. Book at least a Partial Ocean View. This way you will know exactly how much you're expected to pay.

Next call up Gold Passport and ask to apply a suite upgrade with points. They will confirm availability and process the upgrade. Note that suite upgrades are capacity controlled, so there may not be availability on your dates. There's no GP provision to pay a higher rate to access expanded award availability, but if the hotel wants to offer you some other paid upgrade, that's well within their rights. You can always cancel the paid reservation with no penalty as long as it's >7 days prior to checkin.

This property is known to severely restrict award availability, so it's not surprising the suite upgrade is difficult to obtain. If you think they're playing games, you can inquire about suite upgrade availability prior to revealing you already have a reservation at a qualifying rate.
Sorry, but I gotta disagree with one point. You do NOT need to book at the Hyatt Daily Rack rate. You DO have to book a rate on Hyatt's website. I upgrade from AAA, AARP, etc. rates all the time, and have never had a problem with it - even had a GP rep. help me find a lower one once with a discount for which I was eligible.

What you cannot do is book a rate through a third-party (Expedia, Costco, etc.) and use a suite upgrade from THAT rate.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by seaduck79
Sorry, but I gotta disagree with one point. You do NOT need to book at the Hyatt Daily Rack rate. You DO have to book a rate on Hyatt's website. I upgrade from AAA, AARP, etc. rates all the time, and have never had a problem with it - even had a GP rep. help me find a lower one once with a discount for which I was eligible.

What you cannot do is book a rate through a third-party (Expedia, Costco, etc.) and use a suite upgrade from THAT rate.
For Diamond suite upgrades, any rate is acceptable.

For suite upgrades with points (available to anyone for 6000 points for up to 4 nights), the Hyatt Daily Rate is the minimum acceptable rate. Discounted rates like AAA and corporate rates are not eligible for suite upgrades via points, and the rate will be adjusted upwards if a points suite upgrade is applied.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:01 pm

Just got back a few days ago from a trip with my wife split between the Hyatts on Kauai (5 nights) and Maui (3 nights) - celebrated our 15-year wedding anniversary with this trip. This was our first stay at either property and I thought I'd share some thoughts and experiences for others since I found this thread very helpful. I did a similar writeup for the Grand Hyatt Kauai and wanted to do one for the Hyatt Regency Maui.

- I booked all three nights with award certs and points from CCs. When I booked the rooms, I was Platinum, but during our stay I had Diamond status via the Diamond Challenge (Trial Offer mentioned elsewhere).
- I received an email from the generic hotel concierge email a few days out from our arrival welcoming us, asking for travel details, etc. In my reply, I let them know about our anniversary, thinking that it might be mentioned at check-in (for my wife's benefit), might trigger a special amenity, and might provide for a better room than normal...the second two happened (and I think the first would've happened if we had kept the first room we were assigned to). BTW, I received a reply from an Ariele as well - saw her name mentioned a page or two back.
- The front desk rep that checked us in, Sarah, mentioned that she was also the hotel manager. She was very friendly and helpful. She commented on my Diamond status, let us know about the resort benefits, the club access, etc. She also let us know that we were in an ocean view room in the Lahaina Tower. I knew enough to be relieved that we were not in the Napili Tower near the construction, but also realized that we wouldn't be near the club, which we used quite a bit when we were in Kauai. I asked her if we could get a room in the Atrium Tower closer to the club and, after some checking, she got us into an oceanfront room on the 20th floor (club is on the 22nd/top floor). She also commented that they had our original room set up with VIP treatment (assume some amenity), but that it wasn't a problem for us to switch rooms.
- She also offered the Diamond welcome amenity, and the card that we chose from stated that it would arrived on the 2nd day of our stay. However, it came that evening, actually while we were getting ready to go out to dinner. FYI, if any of you like cupcakes, which my wife does, the cupcake option is fantastic - 4 assorted cupcakes that tasted great.
- She asked if we were valet or self-parking and, after I mentioned self-parking, she stated that it was $14/day. I asked if that wasn't part of the resort fee (like Kauai) or was waived for Diamond and she stated that it wasn't.
- Regarding the club spread - While we were only there three days/nights and it wasn't quite as good as the one on Kauai, it was still well appointed. Others, like me, might be curious about the types of things they offer - so I thought I'd share what I remember:
- Always available: assorted soft drinks, some type of juice from a dispenser, bottled water, ice, and hot beverages via a Nespresso (or similar) machine.
- Breakfast: One different hot entree each morning (e.g. guava pancakes, egg dishes, etc.). Some or all of the following were served every morning: fresh fruits (e.g. pineapple, papaya, strawberries, etc.), yogurt, assorted sliced breads and bagels, jams/jellies and spreads, cheeses, various pastries (e.g. croissants, filled pastries, etc.), assorted muffins, two different juices, and milk.
- Afternoon snack: 2 different cookies (e.g. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and Oatmeal Raisin with Walnuts), White Chocolate bark, whole fruits (e.g. apples, oranges, bananas, etc.) and assorted containers of snacks (e.g. macadamia nuts, pistachios, and trail mix)
- Evening horderves: One different hot entree each evening (e.g. potstickers, edamame, coconut fried shrimp, etc.). Some or all of the following were served every evening: assorted veggies (e.g. grilled squash and zucchini, broccoli, carrots, roasted tomatoes, etc.), different cheeses, breads and crackers, dips/sauces (e.g. spinach dip, oil/vinegar). I did not see alcohol set out (like in Kauai), but one evening "Keith" asked if he could get us something from the bar. I've read that they serve alcohol, but there is a "minimal charge."
- Evening dessert: It varied, but there were usually 2-3 different cookies and/or chocolate bark, plus some other major dessert (e.g. sponge cake, chocolate souffle, etc.)
- One additional tip about the club floor access - While you need your room key with access to get to the club floor via the elevators, you don't need it if you use the stairs. This came in handy for us since we were only two floors down but our room was on the opposite side of the atrium from the elevators.
- Unlike the Hyatt in Kauai, the washers and dryers have a charge - looked like $2.00 per use.
- The grounds, pools and lagoon were nice. We also enjoyed the landscaped open air atrium with the various birds, huge koi (much larger than those in Kauai), and the penguins (of course). It was also neat getting to walk among the flamingos, ducks, swans, etc...and seeing the cranes.
- Even though we were in the Atrium, we found it easer to park in the lot behind the Lahaina tower rather than the one by the tennis courts. The walk may not have been much shorter but at least it was indoors/sheltered most of the way. Also, we passed by and watched some of the laua, which happens each night except for Sunday (I think).
- In general, we enjoyed this resort. It was tough coming from Kauai were the resort was amazing, but this resort was still nice and right on the ocean. Plus, while it rained every day in Napili and Kapalua, and rained us out one day in Wailea, it stayed sunny to partly cloudy every day over the Hyatt and Kaanapali.
- My only real complaint was that, other than Sarah and a few other employees we encountered (including those in the club), the employees weren't all that welcoming or overly friendly. Perhaps we were jaded after coming from Kauai where virtually all of the employees smiled, said, "Aloha," etc. However, other than the club employees, I can count on one hand the number of times someone said, "Aloha," to us at this Hyatt, and none of the valet staff did when we walked in/out the front entrance multiple times - they were very focused on the next guest's car they could park or luggage they could retrieve. I understand that's their job, but they are also generally the first face someone sees when arriving at the resort.

That's about all I can think of for now, but feel free to reply or send me a PM with any questions about my stay or the resort and I'll try to help if I can.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:24 pm

Has anyone with Diamond Status tried booking the "obstructed view" rate and gotten a room upgrade out of the Napili Tower to a non-construction zone?
Old May 30, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
Has anyone with Diamond Status tried booking the "obstructed view" rate and gotten a room upgrade out of the Napili Tower to a non-construction zone?
Yes. I just got back from one such trip. They were able to put us in the Lahaina tower, in an oceanfront room. Although it was in what is normally a slower season, their occupancy was pretty high, too. Make sure that you get it all booked through the hotel; don't expect to show up and do all that at check-in.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
There's definitely something odd going on with this property re points upgrades. I made a reservation online for a partial ocean view room (which I understood to be the minimum required at resorts for points upgrades) at the Hyatt Daily Rate of $349.

When I called in re doing a points upgrade, the rep helping me was very confused as to why the system wouldn't allow him to keep the same rate. For a suite upgrade using points, the rate would have to be adjusted to $500+ and for a club upgrade using points, the rate would have to be adjusted to $400+ (don't remember the exact figures).

Funny thing was that the AAA rate for a club room was only $397.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.