Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Angry Regency Long Beach Sucks

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach in conjunction with a convention. I had a hospitality suite with 2 connecting bedrooms. A business associate had 10 cases of beer (from his micro-brewery) delivered to the suite. The hotel turns around and charges me $120 “corkage fee”, and was going to tack on extra charges for accepting the beer in their receiving department. They insisted that their liquor license required them to charge the “corkage” fee. Needless to say, I was very upset and complained when they told me of these extra charges when I checked in. They only agreed to waive the “shipping charges”. In addition I had to utilize their business center and was charged $9 to print 3 pages.

Four days later, I checked out and saw that the shipping charges and the business center charge were not on the bill. Fine, the shipping charge was not on the bill as they told me, and I figured they also waived the $9 business center as a courtesy.

I return home and check on my debit card balance a few days later and realized they overcharged me almost $50. When I contacted the desk manager in Long Beach, he informs me that they only agreed to waive the shipping charge on the beer, not the other 5 boxes delivered to my room at the same time as the beer. No distinction was ever made to me!

When I questioned how they could charge me after I checked out, their excuse was that sometimes the receiving department doesn’t submit charges on time! We’re not talking about a delay of a few hours, or even a full day. This was 4 days after the charges supposedly occurred. In addition, the business center is run by a different company, and that they also sometimes have a delay. Hyatt Consumers Affairs told me that this is an acceptable business practice!!!

After 2 weeks of complaining, they finally agreed, “…as a courtesy…” to refund the extra charges. “A courtesy”? I suggested that the “courtesy” would have been to not charge me in the first place. When I suggested it would be better to offer an apology, they refused.

By the way, I did check with the Alcohol Beverage Control Dept. of the CA Attorney General Office and was informed that there is NOTHING in the hotel’s liquor license that requires them to charge a corkage fee. Instead of having the balls to tell me the truth, the front desk person passed the buck and said it was the State forcing them to do this.

I am a Diamond member of Hyatt.

-Dr.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by drjazz
This was 4 days after the charges supposedly occurred.
That's nothing. A $13 charge showed up on my CC 3.5 months after I checked out of GH Seoul. I called the Diamond line and they were really helpful in getting everything straightened out of course. GH Seoul said the charges were "Minibar charges". I have never EVER taken anything out of a hotel minibar in my life and I told them this and they took the charge off. But I found it awfully odd that they would charge me 3.5 months after my stay. How weird!!! That's some slow book keeping!!

By the way, I did check with the Alcohol Beverage Control Dept. of the CA Attorney General Office and was informed that there is NOTHING in the hotel’s liquor license that requires them to charge a corkage fee. Instead of having the balls to tell me the truth, the front desk person passed the buck and said it was the State forcing them to do this.
You should ask for a refund of your $120 fee for them lying to you. For $120 I'm sure you would have walked downstairs and picked up the beers yourself and brought them up to your room. Especially since they charged you after the fact.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:23 pm

don't use debit card

drjazz, agree with your being upset, however you should use a credit card rather than a debit card. A credit card may give some recourse while a debit card is more difficult to get straightened out especially if the money is gone. Also, a credit card vs. a debit card insures GP points with a record and if a MC gets FFN. Call CS and copy Karen with the problems.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 4:00 pm

The $120 corkage fee was for the alcohol actually entering the hotel, not for its delivery.

My main complaint, besides being lied to, is how the hotel (with the possible exception of a minibar charge) has the right to add charges after checkout! You can be sure that if the shipping charge was actually on my bill, I would have refused to pay it on the spot.

I am waiting for Hyatt Customer Affairs to reply as to how long a hotel has to charge. Instead of acting unprofessionally towards their guests, the hotel should admit they have an internal problem, AND FIX IT!
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'd be livid too

drjazz.. First let me say I stay here often and love it, thats why I keep going back... on that note.. I must say I'd be P-O'd too if I were in your shoes. The business center charges well those can happen anywhere as all of the majors gouge you in that sense but once they waive it, they should never charge you after the fact. I find the corking fee excuse pretty lame and and out right lie and I'd push it further with someone in the Hyatt chain, whether the hotel itself or in corporate.

This BS about getting charged after the fact happens to me all the time as I get charged for the $4.50 bottles of water that I never touch, the mini bar I never open (hey I don't even take the mb key if thats an option), for parking, bar charges, room service that I never had.. the list goes on..

I always ask for a ZERO balance receipt and I always reconcile every hotel receipt to my online credit card statements as well. Unfortunately this reconciliation is where I catch most of the "We are sorry about that Mr TH, we will remove the charges", the LaJolla Hyatt was the latest perpetrator of this scam for me. Its not a Hyatt issue, its an industry issue. These hotels must just charge people and those that complain, they remove no problem, but a lot must never reconcile their bills and the hotels know this so they bill for water etc and its another profit center for them..

This is one thing that really Pi$$es me off about the hotel industry.. its such a regular occurence that I now expect it to happen

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach in conjunction with a convention. I had a hospitality suite with 2 connecting bedrooms. A business associate had 10 cases of beer (from his micro-brewery) delivered to the suite. The hotel turns around and charges me $120 “corkage fee”, and was going to tack on extra charges for accepting the beer in their receiving department. They insisted that their liquor license required them to charge the “corkage” fee. Needless to say, I was very upset and complained when they told me of these extra charges when I checked in. They only agreed to waive the “shipping charges”. In addition I had to utilize their business center and was charged $9 to print 3 pages.

Four days later, I checked out and saw that the shipping charges and the business center charge were not on the bill. Fine, the shipping charge was not on the bill as they told me, and I figured they also waived the $9 business center as a courtesy.

I return home and check on my debit card balance a few days later and realized they overcharged me almost $50. When I contacted the desk manager in Long Beach, he informs me that they only agreed to waive the shipping charge on the beer, not the other 5 boxes delivered to my room at the same time as the beer. No distinction was ever made to me!

When I questioned how they could charge me after I checked out, their excuse was that sometimes the receiving department doesn’t submit charges on time! We’re not talking about a delay of a few hours, or even a full day. This was 4 days after the charges supposedly occurred. In addition, the business center is run by a different company, and that they also sometimes have a delay. Hyatt Consumers Affairs told me that this is an acceptable business practice!!!

After 2 weeks of complaining, they finally agreed, “…as a courtesy…” to refund the extra charges. “A courtesy”? I suggested that the “courtesy” would have been to not charge me in the first place. When I suggested it would be better to offer an apology, they refused.

I am a Diamond member of Hyatt.

-Dr.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: United 1K
I'll be sure to check my credit card bills closer when staying at hotels. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Never had a problem with any chain applying charges after check-out, and I also enjoy the Long Beach Hyatt. Those huge corner rooms with the slew of windows are really nice.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:41 am
AMA

So, Dr. Jazz, how was IAJE? Did it help alleviate the pain-in-butt Hyatt?

I was gonna go to IAJE, but had a scheduling conflict. Had looked at staying at either the Hyatt or Westing...
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:22 pm

You missed a MEAN hospitality suite!! Never closed before 3:30AM.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:20 am

You missed a MEAN hospitality suite!! Never closed before 3:30AM.
Well, with 10 cases of beer............................
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:44 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I am a Diamond member of Hyatt.-Dr.
Hyatt have again proven that they do not care about Diamond status. This is revolting treatment by Hyatt. They're losing friends very quickly.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Not that it was done the right way but I see many Hyatt's, such as Seattle, have a long list of prices for bringing in outside alcohol. When I bring in my own 12 pack I usually don't advertise it because the hotel could potential charge me for it. It may even be a bad idea to throw out the bottles in the hotel room. This is mostly done during special events: weddings, conventions, etc. because a big part of their revenue comes from catering. It is like bringing your own wine to a restaurant. If someone wants to host a raging alcoholic event in connection with a big hotel event they want you to order the alcohol from the hotel and this is the only method they have to control it. Alcohol sales are huge during conventions. I bet if you took the beer up yourself they may not have charged you.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:26 am

It's one thing to have a "long list of prices for bringing in outside alcohol". It is another thing to LIE to their customer by blaming the stupid charges on a REQUIREMENT of their state liquor license!

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Not that it was done the right way but I see many Hyatt's, such as Seattle, have a long list of prices for bringing in outside alcohol. When I bring in my own 12 pack I usually don't advertise it because the hotel could potential charge me for it. It may even be a bad idea to throw out the bottles in the hotel room. This is mostly done during special events: weddings, conventions, etc. because a big part of their revenue comes from catering. It is like bringing your own wine to a restaurant. If someone wants to host a raging alcoholic event in connection with a big hotel event they want you to order the alcohol from the hotel and this is the only method they have to control it. Alcohol sales are huge during conventions. I bet if you took the beer up yourself they may not have charged you.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:11 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Dear Drjazz,

At Hyatt Hotels & Resorts we are dedicated to guest satisfaction, and therefore we were disappointed to learn that you experienced a service or product failure on your recent visit to the Hyatt Regency Long Beach.

To assure that your concerns are addressed and corrective measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence, please contact Hyatt Consumer Affairs at 1-800-323-7249 between the hours of 6:00 AM - 11:30 PM CST, Monday - Friday. If you prefer to correspond via email, please forward your name, contact information, and the details of your visit to: [email protected].

We look forward to the opportunity to regain your confidence and faith in Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

Best Regards,

Karen Smith
Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I thought that it would be OK to revisit this thread now when I have stayed here twice recently as a Diamond.

The RC is open for business during the weekend as well. They have a open bar but it seems to be dependant of the RC attendant whether they "push" guests to fill out the consumption forms. First time I filled out the form but the attendant "forgot" to put it in. ^

This time around I was given a regular room on a non-RC floor but with the RC access. I don't see the difference on the rooms between regular and RC floor.

The only positive reason to stay here is that one can walk to the bars on the Long Beach without having to take a taxi.

BA parks their FA's here. I wonder why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.