Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Hyatt Long Beach - Not such a great time!

I am attending a conference that is based at the HR Long Beach, so I figured GREAT, I am at the conference hotel and it's a Hyatt! Bingo.

When I checked in and asked if my key had RC access, I was told that it cost an additional $40 per night; I then pointed out that I was a Diamond and she said. Oh, yeah, I guess you should get it for free (in a tone that was not apologetic or even friendly).

I am currently in the RC at breakfast time, and the constant march of Hyatt employees coming in for coffee (and one is sitting eating a muffin) is incredible. I have never seen this at any other property. Guests are outnumbered by staff using the coffee machine 3:1.

What gives?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by meducate
I am attending a conference that is based at the HR Long Beach, so I figured GREAT, I am at the conference hotel and it's a Hyatt! Bingo.

When I checked in and asked if my key had RC access, I was told that it cost an additional $40 per night; I then pointed out that I was a Diamond and she said. Oh, yeah, I guess you should get it for free (in a tone that was not apologetic or even friendly).

I am currently in the RC at breakfast time, and the constant march of Hyatt employees coming in for coffee (and one is sitting eating a muffin) is incredible. I have never seen this at any other property. Guests are outnumbered by staff using the coffee machine 3:1.

What gives?
Had the same experience at Chicago Airport smaller Regency Club. One employee was just having full breakfast at one table...and there are not many. Looking at her favorite TV show - real loud !
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I probably frequent this place for at least ten stays per year, never once as diamond had an issue with RC access or my room. I have never seen the problem you described in the RC either. Not in any way saying that didn't happen but I am stating this as a frequent guest here and as a different Point of view.. I will be here twice next week and will look for that too.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I probably frequent this place for at least ten stays per year, never once as diamond had an issue with RC access or my room. I have never seen the problem you described in the RC either. Not in any way saying that didn't happen but I am stating this as a frequent guest here and as a different Point of view.. I will be here twice next week and will look for that too.
Yeah, it seemed idiosyncratic. Glad to hear that it was an episodic occurrence and not a chronic condition!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
At one time Long Beach was a real tight wad. But that was several years ago so I would assume the manager would have been forced on by now. Biggest issue was, by directive of the manager, they did not want to give me RC access because I booked on a third party website. Quick call to Hyatt GP cleared that up since Diamonds always get RC access in U.S. non-resorts, no matter how you book it.
Now the RC is open all the time, but before that LGB gave a coupon for coffee and a pastry in the lobby coffee stand. Something almost no other Hyatts do other than Park Hyatt Tokyo but at least the PHT does it with room service and warming oven in a first class way. Most Hyatts give "Breakfast" coupons. Again these issue were a few years ago but there may be some carry over in attitude at LGB about treating diamonds.
(Now we have to deal with the Hyatt Regency Century City which is giving out coffee and pastry in its coffee stand instead of real breakfast coupons. Not the way to whow patrons of the former Park Hyatt Cantury City.)
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I have to say I echo this. Whle I don't doubt your report, I stayed here for 9 or 10 nights recently, and was treated with a gold glove as diamond. I did nto notice what you speak of in the lounge, and the front desk were especially gracious to us. I did notice that the lounge attendants seemed to be camped on the computer, i.e. MySpace etc., but they were polite and I did not notice any employees coming in for coffee. All in all I liked my stay at Long Beach, especially at the rate (was circa $100 a night over the holidays).

Last edited by thesilb; Feb 7, 2007 at 8:56 pm Reason: Typos
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:38 am

I am not a big fan of Hyatt Long Beach either and use it only for FNN runs. I stayed there in December and there were a host of issues, most notably they would not grant me stay credit although I booked the room directly on the Hyatt website. The front desk and reservation desk were unhelpful and when I spoke with Steve Smith, the general manager, he said that it was a qualified rate and that he would take care of it and get back to me which he never did. I had to call the Diamond line myself and after speaking with a manager, she confirmed that any rate booked directly on the Hyatt website is a qualifying rate. This lack of follow through from the senior manager at this hotel is why I ended up canceling existing future reservations at this hotel. You don't have to look very far to figure out why the staff at this hotel are not well trained
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This is the worst Hyatt property among with the Irvine one that I "have" to stay during the FFN period. I would never ever consider staying at this property if it wasn't for the promotions.

I stayed there maybe 15 times during the November-January FFN accrual period. This is the only Hyatt where I rather use the check in machine than talk to the people who work at the front desk assuming that the check in machine would actually work.

This is the only Hyatt where I have been lucky enough to evoke the Hyatt Diamond bed preference guarantee.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
While some thing about this hotel are not good I want to point out a few good things:
1) The rooms have been renovated with the new Regency beds.
2) Regency Club staff are almost always helpful and friendly and take an interest in getting to know the Diamonds.
3) While the RC food is not spectacular it is better than many RC's.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:22 am

Any recent visits? I'm scheduled in for next week.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Any recent visits? I'm scheduled in for next week.
I was there back in March. The remodeled Regency Club had just reopened. The decor in the club was really nice, and the food offerings were pretty typical of Regency Club spreads at that point. As I recall, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

I have stayed at this hotel several times, and the rooms are pretty average, on the Hyatt scale. In March, our room was on the Regency Cluib Floor, but there appeared to be no distinguishing features of the room over any others I have had.

The hotel is in a pretty good location for restaurants and entertainment. It is a bit of a hike to the freeway, but it isn't terribly far away.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Similar experience to Trustguy on a stay in early July. Room was nothing to write home about, but was certainly satisfactory (and had a great view west over the water, except the windows are high enough that you have to be standing to see out, pretty much.) RC was very pleasant, and had good food selections I thought. Friendly, helpful staff overall. I liked the location - lots of places to go walking, yet still close to freeway access. Overall, no complaints, and I'd stay there again.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Hard Mattress

Just stayed there last Thursday and the bed it the firmest I have ever seen at a Hyatt. Checked out and went home to sleep in a softer bed.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I had stayed here many years ago and remembered the rooms to be Holiday Inn-ish. I posted more detail in the Suite Upgrade topic, but the bedroom side we had was furnished nicely with a good view of the harbor. I thought the bed was comfortable. No electrical outlet by desk to plug in laptop. T-Mobile connection wouldn't work so I was transferred to T-Mobile help who ultimately got me logged on.

Problem with RC in that front desk told us breakfast ended at 10 (he couldn't find any of the sheets listing hours & services). When we got there at 8:50 we were told it closed at 9 a.m. Lots of other people arrived after us and had also been told 10 a.m. closure. Breakfast and evening food was typical HR RC offering.

Tried to print boarding pass at RC the night before; PCs were the slowest I've ever seen, then printer was out of ink. Next morning printer was still out of ink; evidently it takes the engineering dept. to come change it which I was told would occur "some time" that day.

For my $99 rate it was good enough. I'm guessing they have a captive audience being next to the convention center and that's how they normally get much higher rates for a pretty average experience. $16 for parking in/out privileges wasn't as high as other cities/places.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The hotel will be refurbished in the near future. They have two model rooms done.

I stayed recently at one of the executive suites that was remodeled. It was quite ok, although their Executive Suites are really lacking the "suite" part. More like a studio or deluxe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.