Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SMK77
There are not many negative comments but just many over-entitled elites posting here. I can only reiterate that the hotel will go out of its way to please any Diamond guest staying here and they don't make a difference that you are staying on a free credit card certificate while others cough up 1,800 USD for the very same room.

If they are fully booked (and they often are during season), they cannot give you the Presidental Suite and a helicopter pad and look after your giraffe just because someone has already booked that Suite... @:-)
It's clear that you are a champion of this hotel and that's good. But I don't recall anyone posting here who expected the presidential suite, let alone your other attempts at irony.

What folks are asking for in part is that a suite upgrade do what the name says: if accepted at time of booking, it gets you upgraded to a suite. This hotel simply does not do that. Virtually every other Hyatt, HR, GH, Andaz, and PH now (finally!) does.

The reason is not, I think, that the hotel is often fully booked. I believe it's because they feel they can get away with it.

That will remain true as long as the PHS does not have any meaningful local competition. If that ever changes, I believe there will be a major sea change benefitting "over-entitled elites," a term you apparently use to categorize everyone who disagrees with you.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Virtually every other Hyatt, HR, GH, Andaz, and PH now (finally!) does.
See my previous post about properties that don't allow Suite Upgrade e-certs.

I would expect many Hyatt Diamond members are also *wood Platinum. As least it's really just the PH Hadahaa and PHS that deny Suite e-certs, yet still offer all other Diamond benefits.

Just have a look at how many *wood properties state 'Limited Participation in SPG' and I think we should be grateful.

The reality is that the PHS and PH Hadahaa are exceptional properties with the average room rate of over $800/night.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess where a bit of the resentment comes from is that almost all properties play by the rules, only some claim excemptions. The PHS seems to claim them all like no suite upgrades, blackout dates for points (like NYE) and then they still play some tricks with room availability as well..... Room rates really should have nothing to do with that, that where the category levels are for.

And even though I got great service when staying on points and overall was very satisfied with my stay, it still feels a bit wrong not getting upgraded to an Opera room for both nights (only got one) when availability was clearly there on the website at checkin.

But I do understand where they are coming from.... For some properties the award redemptions and Diamond benefits might get a bit much with all the points and diamond challenges.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:59 am

I have to say not making any suites available on points or with a Diamond upgrade is very disappointing. I have an upcoming 5-day stay and I'd love to have a suite. I booked two rooms. One on points and one revenue...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:29 am

There are not many negative comments but just many over-entitled elites posting here. I can only reiterate that the hotel will go out of its way to please any Diamond guest staying here and they don't make a difference that you are staying on a free credit card certificate while others cough up 1,800 USD for the very same room.

If they are fully booked (and they often are during season), they cannot give you the Presidental Suite and a helicopter pad and look after your giraffe just because someone has already booked that Suite... @:-)
It's apparent from your many prior posts that, for whatever reasons, you're quite the fan of this hotel. Good for you. But it's really not necessary to use sarcasm to belittle the thoughtful and reasonable expectations and experiences of others who post here. There are clearly differences of opinion about the PHSydney's treatment of GP members, particularly Diamonds, and this is the proper forum to air those differences.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:32 am

It's clear that you are a champion of this hotel and that's good. But I don't recall anyone posting here who expected the presidential suite, let alone your other attempts at irony.

What folks are asking for in part is that a suite upgrade do what the name says: if accepted at time of booking, it gets you upgraded to a suite. This hotel simply does not do that. Virtually every other Hyatt, HR, GH, Andaz, and PH now (finally!) does.

The reason is not, I think, that the hotel is often fully booked. I believe it's because they feel they can get away with it.

That will remain true as long as the PHS does not have any meaningful local competition. If that ever changes, I believe there will be a major sea change benefitting "over-entitled elites," a term you apparently use to categorize everyone who disagrees with you.
Totally agree. I've heard rumors that Ritz Carlton was planning to open in Double Bay. That may moderate some of the PHS's hubris.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
Totally agree. I've heard rumors that Ritz Carlton was planning to open in Double Bay. That may moderate some of the PHS's hubris.
Another IC.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
It's apparent from your many prior posts that, for whatever reasons, you're quite the fan of this hotel. Good for you. But it's really not necessary to use sarcasm to belittle the thoughtful and reasonable expectations and experiences of others who post here. There are clearly differences of opinion about the PHSydney's treatment of GP members, particularly Diamonds, and this is the proper forum to air those differences.
I am all in for open and honest discussions. Where Hyatt hotels withhold Diamond benefits or don't play by the rules we should make that public here and discuss. Where hotels don't let Diamonds check-in earlier while they have plenty of free rooms or don't upgrade you to a better room where available - those are all things that should be surfaced.

Come up with clear deficiencies and post them here. But stop generalizing the hotel is not honoring Diamond benefits or is not treating Diamonds the right way.

My first stay at the property was not to my satisfaction but that was another GM and under different ownership. This thread is "post-reno", so let's stick to experiences post the renovation. The stage is yours.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:39 am

You seem to be living in the past. The Park Hyatt Sydney is exempted from Suite Upgrades:

"excludes Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Hyatt Santa Barbara, Hyatt Key WestResort and Spa, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Regency Tulsa, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House or Hyatt Residence Club properties or M life Resorts."

I can guarantee you that no one showed up in Sydney in the past 12 months with a guaranteed Suite Upgrade and was then denied a Suite. Your point is moot. You seem to still hold whatever grudge against a GM that you met the last time over then years years back (see your own post #332).
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:06 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
There was a Ritz Carlton Double Bay until 2001. Princess Diana stayed there when in SYD.

I highly doubt they would ever return to SYD after they closed Double Bay and the City property which were rebranded as Stamfords.

As for the PHS' hubris, it remains the ONLY hotel in SYD that is on Sydney Harbour that has views of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The closest second is the Sebel Pier One which is not even in the same league.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
As for the PHS' hubris, it remains the ONLY hotel in SYD that is on Sydney Harbour that has views of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
The Intercontinental would qualify with terrific views from their Lounge (one thing the PHS does not offer). The hotel just feels a bit old.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:01 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

The Intercontinental would qualify with terrific views from their Lounge (one thing the PHS does not offer). The hotel just feels a bit old.
The IC is on the Corner of Macquarie and Bridge Street, so is not absolute waterfront. It is at least 4 blocks from the water.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
i have stayed at the INtercon , hyatt , shrangi la circluar quay marriott and recently the holiday inn to watch the firworks. I think the intercon is the best from the club lounge .

I was also given the roof top harbour suite for a night which was pretty bloody amazing. Its up there in my top 5 rooms.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
There was a Ritz Carlton Double Bay until 2001. Princess Diana stayed there when in SYD.

I highly doubt they would ever return to SYD after they closed Double Bay and the City property which were rebranded as Stamfords.

The closest second is the Sebel Pier One which is not even in the same league.
I may have confused brands but "something" is going on with regard to a future luxury hotel in Sydney. You may want to check locally (as you live there) and I will do a little research on my end.

Found this but I also read about something else (still looking):

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-...-1226693550577

Last edited by JetAway; Jan 14, 2014 at 6:00 am Reason: Adding information
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
I may have confused brands but "something" is going on with regard to a future luxury hotel in Sydney. You may want to check locally (as you live there) and I will do a little research on my end.

Found this but I also read about something else (still looking):

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-...-1226693550577
No need. See post #412. Intercontinental Double Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.