Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:34 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
You received a private, in room check in which is a VIP benefit at this property.

I think you've taken the comment too personally. It does cost a lot of points to stay at this category. Perhaps you've associated judgment to it that wasn't meant?

December/January are peak travel periods in Sydney, especially with the cruise liners. The hotel often runs at 100% until after Mardi Gras in March.

Even if it was rude , I've learnt not to let one incident ruin an entire stay.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by jibi
With that said, I will express my concern about the check-in process. We were greeted by the on-duty staff lead and she showed us to our room. While this was a nice, personal touch, her attitude was not favorable. She noted that we booked the room on points by stating, "I see that points are nice to have, hmm?" While this statement written on here may not have the associated tone to make it seem condescending, it was very much so in person. My wife was beyond furious, but she kept her cool until the transaction was completed. There's no place for snobbishness in the hospitality industry ... at least not in any hotel under a Hyatt flag. This was the first time I've experienced this type of attitude from any hotel (and I frequent St. Regis and Andaz hotels quite regularly, although this was my first experience at a Park Hyatt).
Perhaps it would have been more efficient to put the staff member in their place immediately rather than dedicate 150 words to that here.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
My wife and I have been staying for years - sometimes on points and sometimes a mixture of paid for and points. Never had an issue with any of the front desk staff.

Last February we were taken to our room for check in by a delightful young lady. Yes she did mention we were staying on points but she was more interested in talking about the places around the world where we had stayed with Hyatt. Certainly never suggested we were free loaders

We are visiting again late February/March and I'll be interested to see if the attitude there really has changed.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You received a private, in room check in which is a VIP benefit at this property.

I think you've taken the comment too personally. It does cost a lot of points to stay at this category. Perhaps you've associated judgment to it that wasn't meant?

December/January are peak travel periods in Sydney, especially with the cruise liners. The hotel often runs at 100% until after Mardi Gras in March.

Even if it was rude , I've learnt not to let one incident ruin an entire stay.
The interaction definitely didn't ruin the stay, but the tone and her associated action at the time (a slow scanning of us head to toe and back) was smug and condescending. We were in comfortable travel attire (as we had just flown an intercontinental flight), so perhaps that was not up to par for this property. I just don't think that her comment was in alignment with the values of this industry and this property.

Her tone basically said, "Without those points, you likely would not be able to afford to pay $1,000 per night to stay here, eh?" Of course, that is not the case, but oh well... it is what it is and she seemed to be more about appearance than content. Andrew and his staff seemed quite great otherwise and I would not judge the entire hotel staff based on one bad apple... but it was enough for me to take my business elsewhere if/when we're in Sydney in the near future.

I do not fault them for the lack of room availability during a peak travel period. I understood the situation. The issues I have with the upgrade pool is that it does not include suites when they are last resorts and the fact that there were multiple Opera Deluxe rooms when our upgrade was available on our third day and we were placed in the "best available" room in the pool... an Opera King. I won't complain too much about this kind of action while I'm at the property, but it is worth sharing on here... just in case there are people who are more vocal during their stays.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:48 am

I've run into a number of smug or arrogant staff at "upscale" hotels in my day and I always try to remain courteous to them, all the while remembering that they are the hired help.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:55 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Regarding jibi(s) stay

I’ve been staying at Park Hyatt Sydney since the late 80s early 90s and haven’t found anyone in a number of years that isn’t a fairly exceptional delightful team member even if they flub something minor while in house. There was a period from 2002 on that I noticed attitude behavior issues. The house has since been cleaned long ago IMHO and I remain highly impressed today by the majority of polished consummate hospitable professionals here from the front of the house right on up through to management
This is one of my favorite hotels in the world and wasn’t so until the present team and management came on board.
It was a solid good hotel before the renovation and even more spectacular post renovation. There was a time years ago post 9-11 I stopped staying completely.
Lack of suite upgrades annoyed me and the attitude in general was somewhat formal and unfriendly unlike Australia in general.
I still return to the Westin Sydney too when I want a suite upgrade and the location, food and beverage plus a solid high quality club lounge typically works well for me

None of us were present during jibis stay but the mention of how a room was paid for points, revenue or other is inappropriate unless the guest brings it up and then its fair game
Unless the check in Ambassador states to reverify I see for this reservation you are booking with redemption is that correct?
Otherwise there is room for personal embarrassment in front of date, spouse or significant other and opportunity for the hotel to use greater discretion in interactions.

I have rarely ever been shown anything less than above and beyond respect and recognition anywhere in the world in every brand and property using revenue or award.
One of the few glaring if not sad but almost comical exceptions to that rule is the InterContinental Sydney one of the
most disliked least respected properties by many for their disdain for loyalty program members who wish to redeem with their points.
While they remain in their rights to do so based on terms and fine print the cost is far more damaging to the brand hotel and program amongst many frequent travelers perceptions.

I can say with confidence despite some guests insecurities about redeeming this is almost never the case for Hyatt Hotels/Gold Passport and a feather in their cap
Just one of many reasons I am pushing close to my lifetime Diamond status and 3 million GP points.
Which I think for the record will be celebrated at the Park Hyatt Sydney!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
I've run into a number of smug or arrogant staff at "upscale" hotels in my day and I always try to remain courteous to them, all the while remembering that they are the hired help.
+1.

Have you considered she was confirming the rate which is a requirement of check in?

For what it's worth I'm 32, elite with a few chains, generally stay at Park Hyatts, St Regis and am almost always arriving in jeans and a polo or t shirt with my husband.

In my days I have been met with surprise, been told I'm their youngest Diamond guest they can remember but the real reaction I get tends to be from the driver at the airport. If it takes more than a few exchanges for them to realise I am the guest they are picking up, even after I identify myself, then their tip gets reduced.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:47 am

So it's impossible to use diamond suite upgrades or book suites at this property on points?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
So it's impossible to use diamond suite upgrades or book suites at this property on points?
Yes, Somehow they managed to secure an exception to the general GP rules/benefits in this regard. In all fairness, however, this is a fairly small property and it is used for a lot of local special events, such as weddings. As a result, suites command a high revenue premium.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:47 am

Yes, Somehow they managed to secure an exception to the general GP rules/benefits in this regard. In all fairness, however, this is a fairly small property and it is used for a lot of local special events, such as weddings. As a result, suites command a high revenue premium.
I'm going to generally disagree with this assessment
The hotel prior to 2003 would upgrade Diamonds to suites (without confirming) maybe not proactively but they would so perhaps with a little nudge
or nicely asking based on availability or a slight upcharge
All hotels like to sell suites for a premium many do but programs typically don't change the rules for one hotel or ten hotels.
Properties have busy seasons when its tougher to do so and slower periods where its fairly easy to accommodate
There are hotels with suites in other chains that have 3 suites in the entire hotel and I reserve one on points or an upgrade
Many hotels would like to opt out of many program rules/terms and conditions

In my own observation the hotel was allowed to make the change officially with ownership change and Hyatt's desire to please ownership while keeping the Park Hyatt brand.
By eliminating the benefit you kill off expectation and entitlement. On the other hand it also takes the incentive away for many to purchase revenue rooms.
There are times when the suites goes completely empty
The comments above are my general perception and not certain or 100% fact
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm going to generally disagree with this assessment
The hotel prior to 2003 would upgrade Diamonds to suites (without confirming) maybe not proactively but they would so perhaps with a little nudge
or nicely asking based on availability or a slight upcharge
All hotels like to sell suites for a premium many do but programs typically don't change the rules for one hotel or ten hotels.
Properties have busy seasons when its tougher to do so and slower periods where its fairly easy to accommodate
There are hotels with suites in other chains that have 3 suites in the entire hotel and I reserve one on points or an upgrade
Many hotels would like to opt out of many program rules/terms and conditions

In my own observation the hotel was allowed to make the change officially with ownership change and Hyatt's desire to please ownership while keeping the Park Hyatt brand.
By eliminating the benefit you kill off expectation and entitlement. On the other hand it also takes the incentive away for many to purchase revenue rooms.
There are times when the suites goes completely empty
The comments above are my general perception and not certain or 100% fact
So what is it you generally disagree with?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:38 pm

So what is it you generally disagree with?
Thanks for the previous posts and question. I hope my post wasn't an overreaction on my part though it may have been.
If so my apologies
Not too much to disagree with looking back again if I understand your post correctly

Just that the reference that the property is somehow excused from upgrading because of being a small property because they prefer to sell the suites at a premium.
Most properties do.I do agree that they do/can command a premium.
All/most rooms and suites do particularly at this 5 star property based on location and the demand for rooms in general in Sydney.
As another thought their are Grand Hyatt's that put Diamonds in Presidential suites on sold out nights in select hotels even on points when they are at 100% occupancy
The Park Hyatt Sydney does to their credit however try to get diamonds in best available rooms which are certainly nice and service typically within the hotel is to be admired

I would hope to see one day the hotel relax this no suite upgrade policy to their lowest category suites based upon season/availability.
Having said that watching a number of International properties through they years somewhat unlikely
Who can forget some overseas proprieties to exclude some Diamonds from Club lounge access
Otherwise I remain a huge fan of this property
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:13 pm

Actually, I have no idea why the PH Sydney was able to get a "no suites" exemption and was simply trying to find a fair reason for it. I imagine it was a "political" move on Hyatt's part in response to some leverage exercised by the hotel's owners. That said, I think granting such an exemption is disruptive to Hyatt's relationship to other property owners who may desire similar exemptions for their hotels and to their loyalty program members, who are completely excluded from suites at a prime property.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:42 pm

Actually, I have no idea why the PH Sydney was able to get a "no suites" exemption and was simply trying to find a fair reason for it. I imagine it was a "political" move on Hyatt's part in response to some leverage exercised by the hotel's owners. That said, I think granting such an exemption is disruptive to Hyatt's relationship to other property owners who may desire similar exemptions for their hotels and to their loyalty program members, who are completely excluded from suites at a prime property.
I couldn't agree more with your thoughts.
In a nutshell that is what I too suspect at play here.
My gut feeling is if the hotels ownership didn't get there way they might have parted ways with the brand.
This is a pretty significant property when you come down to it and the loss would be in some ways non recoverable if the two were too separate or Hyatt insist on honoring its terms and conditions as written.

It's been publically stated by industry folks to be the envy of hotel owners and operators as this one property generates some of the highest average daily rates within Australia.For that reason I think we are seeing the results of how this all played out and how it affects the Diamond membership base
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

The PH SYD is not alone on refusing suite upgrades. PH Maldives is another and I'm sure there are a couple on the GP website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.