Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Staying here now, can confirm that they currently have Blaise Mautin single use amenities.

Here's maybe an interesting data point: roughly judging by the app availability and the general population during meal times/milling around the property, I'd suspect they are somewhat close to full but not sold out. Meanwhile, the app is doing the glitch again where it shows WoH reimbursement rates on my running tab, and it appears that Hyatt is reimbursing the suite upgrade award specifically (not the points room rate) at 40.13 EUR/night, though I assume this would be different at different occupancy levels.

Also, be warned that there is construction going on around the property, including in the spa, which is occasionally rather audible from the interior courtyard rooms located above the bar area (not sure the name for this courtyard), beginning around 830am.

Is the spa available / functioning? We have a December stay coming up, and it is a factor for me. Also considering moving over a birthday reservation from HDL in 2 weeks if anything opens up.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by WalruSara
Is the spa available / functioning? We have a December stay coming up, and it is a factor for me. Also considering moving over a birthday reservation from HDL in 2 weeks if anything opens up.
No, spa is not functioning (per this somewhat ambiguous note) but massages are available in room. Guests are also "encouraged" not to use the gym during the day, though I may test whether this is a suggestion or a rule later today.

FWIW, we were woken up by construction at 8am again, which isn't really appreciated while we're still sort of on US time.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No, spa is not functioning (per this somewhat ambiguous note) but massages are available in room. Guests are also "encouraged" not to use the gym during the day, though I may test whether this is a suggestion or a rule later today.

FWIW, we were woken up by construction at 8am again, which isn't really appreciated while we're still sort of on US time.
This is courtyard noise, not Rue de la Paix noise? I moved from a suite on the Rue de la Paix there to an interior courtyard suite and was much happier, different construction I guess (in mid September)
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Enjoyed this place, and will go back some time. But no way you get out of there for under 200 euros (or $198 ) a couple, at least not for dinner. Lunch, yes, and at lunch the Tuileries are open, so it is also quite walkable from PHV.

Been to Macéo several times and always enjoyed it. Elegant and comfortable, and cheaper than Le Violin d'Ingres. I had thought that it closed up during and then after the pandemic, but much obliged for this recommendation since it suggests (as does the website) that it is back in business.

Also close to the PHV is Le Comptoir Baulois, which is a small, pleasant Breton restaurant. Been there several times post-pandemic, mostly for lunch. Food is interesting and agreeable, as are the prices. Book ahead with La Fourchette and get 20% or 30% off an already worthwhile meal.

Be aware that unless you are a Fan Of French meats the Steak or whatever is the top line Beef at Bistro Volnay was really unacceptable for US Steak eaters.

I may be Jaded as a USA Lugers, Wolfgangs , Sparks Steak House , Gallaghers, Keens , Palm River Plan type of steak eater , was a tremendous disappointment .

Be warned if you don’t have a taste for that Kind of Steak , That Bistro Volnay was the worst iteration I have had in Paris . Les Ami Jean , Petit Chatelet and numerous others were much better renditions in my opinion .

Just Saying beware
opinion
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold

Thank you for the update!
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by beachfan
This is courtyard noise, not Rue de la Paix noise? I moved from a suite on the Rue de la Paix there to an interior courtyard suite and was much happier, different construction I guess (in mid September)
Yes, definitely interior courtyard noise. We face into the courtyard, not Rue de la Paix, and it is very loud with the windows closed blinds down, etc.

Also, I know there are multiple courtyards here, so guests currently in rooms facing other courtyards may not even hear this noise.

ETA: photo - def interior courtyard work.

Last edited by LowValueCustomer; Nov 8, 2022 at 6:05 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
This is super helpful information - thanks. We usually get a rue de la Paix facing room and I get used to the noise. What I can't get around is voices from the courtyard/chalet area or food smells wafting up from the kitchen, I think that is in our record.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:33 am

Just completed a four night stay. If I had to sum up our experience here it would be a giant “meh”. Let it be known that I am judging this relative to other 5 star hotels I’ve stayed at (5 in the last ~year). Park Hyatt Vendome probably checks in as the worst of the bunch.

The good:

- Was upgraded? To a room with a balcony which we enjoyed a lot. Great views of the street below and looking into Palace Vendome.

- Concierge was also very good. Well educated on a variety of subjects and requests were always prompt.

- Location can’t be beat. Fantastic central location in the Heart of Paris.

- Spacious base level room for a city hotel, including the bathroom. Bathroom was also well stocked as you’d expect at a hotel of this caliber.

- Very nice welcome amenity of champagne and macaroons for our honeymoon.

- 50% off breakfast for explorists

The Bad:

- Upon check in at 10am our room was not ready, as expected. They put us on a priority list and said it should be ready soon. We walked around Paris for four hours we checked back and they informed us it would be 10 minutes. I let them know we’d wait in the lobby. The FD agent said he would bring us over the keys when the room was ready. After an hour and still no keys, I checked the app and it said our digital key was ready. I walked back over and he said our room was ready (keys had already been made) and our bags were in the room. I suspect the room had been ready for a while and he had forgotten he said he would bring us the keys. Not how you want to start your hotel experience.

- Upon arriving at our room, the welcome amenity the hotel said would be waiting in our room for our honeymoon was not there. Not a huge deal as it showed up a few hours later, but a lack of attention to detail that should be expected at a hotel of this caliber.

- Awful overwhelming perfume smell. I actually don’t mind the scent when it’s subtle, unfortunately it’s overwhelming and made us feel nauseous.

- Our Eiffel Tower reservation was canceled due to a strike. No effort was made by concierge to help us reschedule over our remaining two days. Probably not something they can even help with so I’m not faulting them here, just pointing it out.

- Several Housekeeping Issues:
- Stained towels (multiple times over multiple days). Towels stained brown, one stained red, all in spots.
- Bathrobe the first day was stained and had several long hairs in it.
- After finishing our champagne they left the bottle and dirty glasses in our room for 2 nights.
- Dirty coffee mug I left by the coffee machine was left during cleaning.
- No chocolate or macaroon or anything at turndown service? Just surprising.

The things above are just not things I would expect at a 5 Star hotel of this caliber. Most of them didn’t really bother me, but they should be noted. And having stayed in a handful this year, it’s the only hotel where these things have happened. This hotel is not worthy of is €1,000+ price tag.

If we returned to Paris would likely stay at Madeline or Hotel Du Louvre.

As far as restaurants by the hotel - highly recommend Le Minet Galant!
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dwhelan5
Just completed a four night stay. If I had to sum up our experience here it would be a giant “meh”. Let it be known that I am judging this relative to other 5 star hotels I’ve stayed at (5 in the last ~year). Park Hyatt Vendome probably checks in as the worst of the bunch.

The good:

- Was upgraded? To a room with a balcony which we enjoyed a lot. Great views of the street below and looking into Palace Vendome.

- Concierge was also very good. Well educated on a variety of subjects and requests were always prompt.

- Location can’t be beat. Fantastic central location in the Heart of Paris.

- Spacious base level room for a city hotel, including the bathroom. Bathroom was also well stocked as you’d expect at a hotel of this caliber.

- Very nice welcome amenity of champagne and macaroons for our honeymoon.

- 50% off breakfast for explorists

The Bad:

- Upon check in at 10am our room was not ready, as expected. They put us on a priority list and said it should be ready soon. We walked around Paris for four hours we checked back and they informed us it would be 10 minutes. I let them know we’d wait in the lobby. The FD agent said he would bring us over the keys when the room was ready. After an hour and still no keys, I checked the app and it said our digital key was ready. I walked back over and he said our room was ready (keys had already been made) and our bags were in the room. I suspect the room had been ready for a while and he had forgotten he said he would bring us the keys. Not how you want to start your hotel experience.

- Upon arriving at our room, the welcome amenity the hotel said would be waiting in our room for our honeymoon was not there. Not a huge deal as it showed up a few hours later, but a lack of attention to detail that should be expected at a hotel of this caliber.

- Awful overwhelming perfume smell. I actually don’t mind the scent when it’s subtle, unfortunately it’s overwhelming and made us feel nauseous.

- Our Eiffel Tower reservation was canceled due to a strike. No effort was made by concierge to help us reschedule over our remaining two days. Probably not something they can even help with so I’m not faulting them here, just pointing it out.

- Several Housekeeping Issues:
- Stained towels (multiple times over multiple days). Towels stained brown, one stained red, all in spots.
- Bathrobe the first day was stained and had several long hairs in it.
- After finishing our champagne they left the bottle and dirty glasses in our room for 2 nights.
- Dirty coffee mug I left by the coffee machine was left during cleaning.
- No chocolate or macaroon or anything at turndown service? Just surprising.

The things above are just not things I would expect at a 5 Star hotel of this caliber. Most of them didn’t really bother me, but they should be noted. And having stayed in a handful this year, it’s the only hotel where these things have happened. This hotel is not worthy of is €1,000+ price tag.

If we returned to Paris would likely stay at Madeline or Hotel Du Louvre.

As far as restaurants by the hotel - highly recommend Le Minet Galant!
in the 20 years we’ve stayed at this hotel (20 or so stays) I’ve never received anything but the Evian water that’s usually on the desk placed on the night stand along with the usual turn down service.

I will remark on the towels - in the early years of the hotel, the towels were a sandy/light brownish color that complimented the bathroom quite nicely. In the Following years, the towel quality has diminished. We were there in April and I remarked that they are now simply mid price hotel quality which is a disappointment.

I’ve always had my coffee cups replaced daily along with coffee pods and whatever amenity picked up if consumed the next day at the latest.

But …. Our December 21 and April 22 stays were the first where we heard noise from guests walking down the hallway. The walls and doors are very good at insulating noise once you are in the room. I don’t know what changed - kids? People hard of hearing discussing the news?

and …

this last trip was the first time I had seen a room service tray left outside the door ever. It may be a staff shortage issue but iirc they ask you to ring and someone will pick up the tray from your room or I suppose outside your room.

Mind you, this is nothing compared to seeing the same papa John’s pizza box left in the hallway of my entire last Hyatt house stay, but still unfortunate.

I remain a fan of this property - the guest relations manager is very receptive to feedback and our room requests are usually fulfilled. I’m not asking for suite upgrades but I avoid the courtyards as much as possible.

No matter where you decide to stay - you are in Paris and that alone is awesome.

Lala
ILuvParis, nycnyc and Aventine like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:54 pm

Haha actually burning the hotel candle right now at home and it’s giving me good vibes!
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
https://leviolondingres.paris

They are one Michelin star restaurant, within the budget, and offers tasty traditional French dishes at a reasonable price. It is an easy Uber ride (doesn't fit walking distance) from PH, and they have Wifi for an Uber ride back.
I second this! One of our “go-to” places in Paris. Love their cassoulet when it’s on the menu in the winter.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Be aware that unless you are a Fan Of French meats the Steak or whatever is the top line Beef at Bistro Volnay was really unacceptable for US Steak eaters.

I may be Jaded as a USA Lugers, Wolfgangs , Sparks Steak House , Gallaghers, Keens , Palm River Plan type of steak eater , was a tremendous disappointment .

Be warned if you don’t have a taste for that Kind of Steak , That Bistro Volnay was the worst iteration I have had in Paris . Les Ami Jean , Petit Chatelet and numerous others were much better renditions in my opinion .

Just Saying beware
opinion
Beef is very different outside the. Within the US it is raised quite differently and everyone has an opinion
Some believe Kobe beef is the best others believe Brazilian beef to be the best etc
so I’ll assume much is subjective.
As a rule I never eat beef in Europe/abroad ever with some exceptions to avoid disappointment.
Smith & Wollensky in London is one example but it’s actually cooking USDA prime cornfed which we both find to be exceptional
Much beef abroad tastes odd and frequently gamey.Perhaps it’s an American palate thing as others seem to gobble it up just
fine elsewhere
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
in the 20 years we’ve stayed at this hotel (20 or so stays) I’ve never received anything but the Evian water that’s usually on the desk placed on the night stand along with the usual turn down service.

I will remark on the towels - in the early years of the hotel, the towels were a sandy/light brownish color that complimented the bathroom quite nicely. In the Following years, the towel quality has diminished. We were there in April and I remarked that they are now simply mid price hotel quality which is a disappointment.

I’ve always had my coffee cups replaced daily along with coffee pods and whatever amenity picked up if consumed the next day at the latest.

But …. Our December 21 and April 22 stays were the first where we heard noise from guests walking down the hallway. The walls and doors are very good at insulating noise once you are in the room. I don’t know what changed - kids? People hard of hearing discussing the news?

and …

this last trip was the first time I had seen a room service tray left outside the door ever. It may be a staff shortage issue but iirc they ask you to ring and someone will pick up the tray from your room or I suppose outside your room.

Mind you, this is nothing compared to seeing the same papa John’s pizza box left in the hallway of my entire last Hyatt house stay, but still unfortunate.

I remain a fan of this property - the guest relations manager is very receptive to feedback and our room requests are usually fulfilled. I’m not asking for suite upgrades but I avoid the courtyards as much as possible.

No matter where you decide to stay - you are in Paris and that alone is awesome.

Lala
Just as a relative experience, we came to the Waldorf Astoria in Amsterdam as our next stop.

Check in experience was wonderful, offered a glass of champagne or chai latte, a hot towel, and a cookie at the check in desk. Room not ready but we did receive a text when it was. We were escorted to our room and given a history of the building on the way. The welcome amenity was waiting in our room when we arrived. Turn down service included slippers being placed on a small linen next to our sides of the bed, and a chocolate was placed on our night stand (as you would expect at a 5 star hotel). At breakfast this morning we were brought a glass of champagne as a congratulations (without any prompting from us, just gave them our room number).

While these are both 5 star hotels, once gets the details right and the other does not. Unfortunately the PH Vendome operates more as a 4 star hotel. They are not of the same caliber.

In fact of the 5 five star hotels we’ve stayed at this year the PH Vendome is the only one to not:

- offer us something to drink at check in.
- not have something placed on our bedside table at turn down
- not place our slippers by the bed at turndown service
- have dirty dishes left in our room / not replaced

Heck even at the Alila Napa Valley (likely a 4 star hotel), all the above was done.

Last edited by dwhelan5; Nov 14, 2022 at 4:04 am
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just as a relative experience, we came to the Waldorf Astoria in Amsterdam as our next stop.

Check in experience was wonderful, offered a glass of champagne or chai latte and a cookie at the check in desk. Room not ready but we did receive a text when it was. We were escorted to our room and given a history of the building on the way. The welcome amenity was waiting in our room when we arrived. Turn down service included slippers being placed on a small linen next to our sides of the bed, and a chocolate was placed on our night stand (as you would expect at a 5 star hotel). At breakfast this morning we were brought a glass of champagne as a congratulations (without any prompting from us, just gave them our room number).

While these are both 5 star hotels, once gets the details right and the other does not. Unfortunately the PH Vendome operates more as a 4 star hotel. They are not of the same caliber.

In fact of the 5 five star hotels we’ve stayed at this year the PH Vendome is the only one to not:

- offer us something to drink at check in.
- not have something placed on our bedside table at check in
- not place our slippers by the bed at turndown service
- have dirty dishes left in our room / not replaced

Heck even at the Alila Napa Valley (likely a 4 star hotel), all the above was done.
Vendome should be getting all those things right but must be bad leadership from the top and Hyatt corporate mandated cuts.
dwhelan5 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:04 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Aventine
Vendome should be getting all those things right but must be bad leadership from the top and Hyatt corporate mandated cuts.
Could be wrong but I tend to think of it right now as staffing issues and letting details go while Human Resources and protocols get up to speed.Leadership management is in catch up from the GMs of Park Hyatts and Grands I have spoken with
My last stay here before the pandemic was fairly stellar but then a drink at check in is not important to me as it might be for others.
A good room or suite and restaurant imperative.I find the international properties to still do amenities generally

Right now there are experiences everywhere that typically have some sort of failure.
I’m at the point where I think does the good outweigh the positive?
I let a lot slide when they have been good to me
and treated me well overall.
I could laundry list but who wants to read through all of it?🙃

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.