Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by xudongsun
Interesting that the HR (cat 5) was cheaper than HP (cat 3) and HC (cat 4). For the nights we are going to stay the regular rate is about $50-$100 more expensive. Good thing we are HI residents so shave about $100 off per night with the kamaaina discount.
Yeah it happens randomly. HR is huge property so they can discount to fill rooms. HP and HC much smaller. Seems like some big tour groups and conventions staying here since the club is still very quiet even at peak hours but rest of the hotel is packed so must be not many elites with club access and/or they didn't sell a ton of club rooms.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by bigfatchocolatebar
recent reviews on the new buffet are not so positive. We are headed next week, should we try ? First time in Hawaii so I am not sure if it's worth $100/pp for a meal.
Late response, but did you end up at the buffet?

As a local we have gone and liked it. It isn't cheap, and yeah, there are plenty of other options off-property, but as far as buffets go, we liked it. Definitely a little different with a more Korean spin, kal-bi meat is always a favorite of mine. IMO, a kal-bi take out plate starts at around $15 dollars with 3 strips. So you can easily eat enough strips to make up the cost.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:18 pm

Interesting that the HR (cat 5) was cheaper than HP (cat 3) and HC (cat 4). For the nights we are going to stay the regular rate is about $50-$100 more expensive. Good thing we are HI residents so shave about $100 off per night with the kamaaina discount.
?? They have kamaaina prices? How did you get it? I haven't been able to find any information about it via google.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by shfflz
Just completed a 4 night stay here with two kids under 3. I was a Discoverist - means nothing.

Food: 2/10

I only ate at the breakfast buffet. Terrible spread and overly priced. It's the kind of breakfast I expect at a random Holiday Inn with exception to the omelet bar. Below average food quality.
I need to go to the Holiday Inns that you stay in because the ones I have been too, the buffet at HR was way better than anything I have ever had as a free breakfast at any chain. Oh wait, do you mean Holiday Inn so that would be the non-free kind?

There are definitely more upscale better "brunch" buffets around the island, but also more expensive, and, surprisingly, those are the ones that don't allow you to just get all the juice you want, which is a hit for the kids.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Originally Posted by aimango
Just got married here about a week ago - I have to agree, this property is very crowded! We stayed at Sheraton over a year ago (but during off-peak) and it was a lot more pleasant. I think Sheraton's elevators also handle the crowds better. The problem with HR is that there is the Lobby level, and the 3rd level, so there's an additional public floor that people need to get on/off which slows everything down. Plus the need for a key card to access guest levels is also an additional slowdown, although an appreciated security measure.

I actually didn't have a great first impression of HR because of the crowds and being given a room that didn't have as good of a view (it was a partial ocean view). It also might've been that I'm only Explorist, whereas I was Plat when we stayed at Sheraton and we definitely had a better room and view (Ocean + diamond head) and overall on-property experience. Self parking is always full, and valet wait times can be long during peak hours. In the end though, the HR property grew on us. It feels even more central than the Sheraton property, and the retail, restaurants, and ABC stores on-site were extremely convenient for us and our guests.

Additionally, the terrace venue was stunning, and we liked that it was an elevated view of the ocean instead of right on the beach like Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider. The staff were also very friendly and we had no big issues during the big day.
Sweet, hoping to have our wedding here next year, and starting to plan.

Appreciate any suggestions or further comments. Was pricing worth it?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
?? They have kamaaina prices? How did you get it? I haven't been able to find any information about it via google.
Check out https://kamaainaspecialoffers.com

HR code: KAMA23
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:28 pm

Check out https://kamaainaspecialoffers.com

HR code: KAMA23
Thanks! I think I was just using KAMA and didn't come up with anything.

Just made my booking, also booked a Kamaaina rate for HC. Will have to discuss with the better half on which one she wants to stay at. I want the HR because I can finally use one of my lounge certs, but she isn't too keen on the crowds there and might like HC's location due to the proximity to shopping. And the HR comes out a little more expensive because parking isn't waived.

Welp, just learned in chat that the Kamaaina rate doesn't allow the lounge access award to be applied. The chat CSR hasn't written back to say anything to end our chat so I am not sure if she is still trying to find a workaround, or if she just ghosted me haha.

I called the FD and they said the award should apply, called the explorist line, who said that it should as well but the system wasn't letting them, and then they called the FD and some sort of override was supposedly done. Not sure if it worked or not, but I guess if I don't see my award removed by tomorrow, I will call them back.

Last edited by HIFlya; Oct 31, 2023 at 8:22 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:10 pm

Thanks! I think I was just using KAMA and didn't come up with anything.

Just made my booking, also booked a Kamaaina rate for HC. Will have to discuss with the better half on which one she wants to stay at. I want the HR because I can finally use one of my lounge certs, but she isn't too keen on the crowds there and might like HC's location due to the proximity to shopping. And the HR comes out a little more expensive because parking isn't waived.

Welp, just learned in chat that the Kamaaina rate doesn't allow the lounge access award to be applied. The chat CSR hasn't written back to say anything to end our chat so I am not sure if she is still trying to find a workaround, or if she just ghosted me haha.

I called the FD and they said the award should apply, called the explorist line, who said that it should as well but the system wasn't letting them, and then they called the FD and some sort of override was supposedly done. Not sure if it worked or not, but I guess if I don't see my award removed by tomorrow, I will call them back.
So just an update in case anyone is interested, I checked today and saw that no Club Access Award (CAA) had not been removed and used, so I called Explorist line again and had to explain everything, this time name-dropping as much as possible. The CSR tried to make it work, put me on hold, and said that the rate was still not allowing them to attach the CAA. I explained that the CSR the day before had called HR directly and that HR had overrode something that should have made it work and explained the IT was updating so that the CSR couldn't confirm at the time.

CSR called HR and was working with them, but I had to go to a meeting so I apologized and said that I would call back and hoped that it would be resolved. I called after my meeting, and unfortunately, had to start from scratch all over again, and this lasted 45+ minutes, and eventually the CSR said that they tried to call HR and ask them to help by HR was holding firm that it was not applicable. I again mentioned the text I had from HR saying it was applicable, and the help from the first CSR who said that someone at HR said they could override and I asked if I should talk to HR directly, and CSR said that they would transfer me.

Eventually I spoke with a HR reservations agent (I got the name) who told me that she had been talking to WOH CSR and that the rate was not applicable. I explained to the HR CSR that I had been explicitly told by HR FD staff that it was applicable and also that a workaround was possible in a previous call, so I just wanted to make sure there was really nothing that could be done. After I provided the HR CSR with the time and date of the text messages, she put me on hold and then came back after about 5 minutes, and said that they confirmed that I had been given wrong information by HR FD and that because of that, she would put a note in my reservation to allow for club access (although, I was a little surprised, she did not seem happy to be doing this for me as if it was something that personally affected her, but I am probably reading too much into it). I asked the HR CSR whether they would be applying the CAA to the reservation and she said, no because of the rate, that could not be done, but that they would have it on the reservation when I checked in to give us club access. I thanked the HR CSR for the assistance.

I guess the question is, I should be pretty confident everything will work out when I check in next weekend? I mean I have the name of the HR CSR to name-drop if there is some dispute at check-in?

Edited to put in the correct negative.

Last edited by HIFlya; Nov 3, 2023 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:48 pm

So just an update in case anyone is interested......I guess the question is, I should be pretty confident everything will work out when I check in next weekend? I mean I have the name of the HR CSR to name-drop if there is some dispute at check-in?
The terms are pretty clear that you cannot apply a club lounge pass and you're depending upon one person's mistake to force the issue.

It's really not worth all the time and effort you've already expended on this. Have you ever been to the club lounge? I spent fewer than 5 minutes in there before leaving because it's not good.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I guess the question is, I should be pretty confident everything will work out when I check in next weekend?
I would be confident. The front desk is filled with long-time employees of this hotel and in my experience, when something is promised, it is delivered.

And, I would have the name of the HR CSR in my pocket -- just in case.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by freckles123
The terms are pretty clear that you cannot apply a club lounge pass and you're depending upon one person's mistake to force the issue.

It's really not worth all the time and effort you've already expended on this. Have you ever been to the club lounge? I spent fewer than 5 minutes in there before leaving because it's not good.
First off, it wasn't clear when I booked that the CAA is not allowed to be applied. It is just a Kamaaina Rate, nothing in the CAA terms says that is not allowed, and nothing when I booked said that no additional awards or benefits could be applied. I don't know if any locals have tried to use TSUs to confirm that they can't use TSUs either?

Anyway, if I had gotten a clear no from the HR FD when I texted them about it, then that would have been the end of it and I would have moved on to my original booking at the HC. This is merely a one night staycation with the family that is essentially a mattress run and the HC would have gotten me my 5 different brands FNA so I would have just moved on if that was the case. The HR's rack rate was cheaper than the HC, but the HC has free parking, which the HR does not, so the outlay is going to be a little bit more at the HR, but with the free breakfast and evening food options, that will save us some money to make up the difference (and it would also mean I finally get to use the CAA, something I have yet been able to do).

However, the HR FD told me via text that it should apply and to call WOH to do it. So I called WOH Explorist as instructed, the CSR said they were unable to do it, but was willing to call the HR and find out what could be done, and the CSR said that the HR was willing to do an "override" to apply the CAA. Then it didn't work, so I followed up and the WOH CSR as directed the next day and this is what unfolded. If the HR CSR held firm, then whatever, I would have moved on and just assumed they didn't want my business, which is fine, but she is now saying they are willing to honor it, so that was nice. In all honesty, if HR had told me that they were willing to give me resort credit to cover the difference between the regular rate and the kamaaina rate (so I can then apply my CAA) then that would have been a great compromise. Again, who knows if they really want my business, but if they did, they probably would have ended up coming out ahead that way because with the credit, my wife would have been "persuaded" to go to the spa, and of course the treatments would have far exceeded the credit. Without any credit that needs to be burned, she is probably going to just spend the time on shopping therapy instead.

I haven't been to the club before, I haven't been to any club before. And so your expectations are probably way different than mine will be as all I expect is some breakfast food to fill up my family and me. We normally stay at HPs so our expectations are not high.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 1:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hotel bill service charge?

Hey all I stayed a while back before I started building status, don’t have access to my bill anymore. For recent stay people, what’s the service charge now %? Is there a service charge?

planning a wedding here and 25% on top of wedding cost seems excessive.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by askyamaz
Hey all I stayed a while back before I started building status, don’t have access to my bill anymore. For recent stay people, what’s the service charge now %? Is there a service charge?
US hotels don't assess service charges. This property will charge state and local taxes (approx. 20% total) and a resort fee ($49 per night).
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
US hotels don't assess service charges. This property will charge state and local taxes (approx. 20% total) and a resort fee ($49 per night).
Darn, then there's no basis for them to charge 25% service fee for all wedding cost (venue, catering, etc), before the taxes.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:03 pm

Just booked for Feb 10-15. Do globalist get breakfast at the restaurant or is it buffet style similar to like Embassy Suites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.