Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just heard something very troubling about the Regency Club. A friend stayed there recently and was denied access to the lanai of the club.... the reason? CATERING RENTED IT OUT FOR A PRIVATE PARTY. Yes, you read that right. Not the club - just the lanai.

Party-goers are now entering the locked club and heading for the lanai for a private party. RC guests cannot use it, much like they can't use the pool area at times when there's a wedding or a similar function. But the pool area is much larger, and often, the pool itself isn't impacted - just the area to one side beyond the hot tub.

So that means no eating outside, no drinks by the fire pit, and no sunset viewing for hotel guests. I've spent many a night on that lanai just sitting and enjoying. I've even spent time there during special events over the ocean, such as fireworks, or a parade. My fear is they will rent out the lanai during special events too.

What's going to stop those same guests from sitting in the club if it's a little chilly, windy, or wet? Or if they just feel like it?

So it was bad enough when the front desk was selling access to guests and the place became very, very overcrowded, particularly in the morning, but this is like a slap in the face to their guests - both long time and newbies. Either it's a regency club or it's a party room. It can't be both.

From what she told me, this has been done a few times already. I'll bet if it takes off, we will be seeing more of the "lanai closed" signs at that door
It's all about the bottom line, they have the best occupancy levels in years and Hyatt Corp seems to have turned a blind eye as has Marriott in their properties in the islands. Let the economy slow down and see what happens. And there's the labor contracts which are getting a little much. 100K for a housekeeper ? Sure it's expensive in the islands we all know that, my wife's family is from the islands but still 100K
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
New GM

I heard the new GM is Irby Morvant from the HR SFO
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by thekaica
I heard the new GM is Irby Morvant from the HR SFO
Revolving door!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I really wonder how much this is due to the constant switch of private equity firms - all who want their money no matter what.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
Aloha! I am at the Alohilani right now and have been quite impressed. No more HR for me. Longboard Club is awesome and will only get better when they are finished.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

I really wonder how much this is due to the constant switch of private equity firms - all who want their money no matter what.
Mary 2e I thought a Korean businessman had purchased this property several; years ago after Blackstone had bled it dry? I was hopeful they would run this like it was when owned by a Japanese businessman.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:59 am

I think you're right... but it may have been a korean private equity firm. I'm not 100% sure
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Globallist
Hyatt Waikiki Review June 2019

Just got back from a 7 night stay, I'm sure my review is the same as it was last year and the same it will be next.

Globalist Club access, TSU for a 2 room Family suite, WAIVE Resort fees.

*CLUB was fine, I go during off hours, open 24 hours a day, Breakfast served during Breakfast hours 7-10am, Light food, 5-7 pm.
*Family Suite. Large space for Hawaii, basically two regular rooms attached. One room has a murphy bed and a large L shaped couch. TSU used, need to hunt these down usually 6-8 months out. Could use an update.
*Elevators are awful, they actually have on the TV showing expected wait times during different hours throughout the day. WOW.
*Staff, ALWAYS been kind and helpful, no complaints Always appreciated.
*This go around looked at the Buffet. 66$ a person? Are you kidding me?. I'm not a Buffet person to beging with, but 66$ plus tip and tax seems INSAME.
*GREAT LOCATION. Great location for every food budget $-$$$$$. The UDON place, 6 minute walk is my addiction. Cheap and fast on OFF HOURs. HUGE LINE, during BUSY HOURS. 6$ for Curry UNDO. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waikiki Beach and the Hyatt here, I know exactly what I am going to get. It's going to be BUSY and too many people everywhere for my taste. I'm not going to be underwhelmed or overwhelmed. I have been WOWED at many Hyatt Resorts and Hotels in different ways, ie upgrades, extras, just nice little things. I have never been wowed here. Its just how close can I get to 200$/night after R/T and no resort fees. Everything is good, nothing is great. Perfect place for a vacation with a teenager or two. PLENTY to do on their own.
suite2suite likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Just finished 4 night stay and asked about the Club Lanai. Apparently client really wanted it and the hotel had said “no”, client kept pushing and so they quoted an outrageous price to try and get them not to book, but client didn’t blink and eye and paid it.

Another note cabana rentals outrageous now. $180/day and $140/half day.

Swim F&B prices all increased on 7/1 as well.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:13 am

They are really pushing the envelope on pricing and in reality this is a very old building that has been abused for years, the pool has been reduced in size, the old Colony closed and have yet to get any decent food service back witness all the failed eateries in the past ten years. Elevators have always been a disaster and always will be. I just don't stay here anymore unless it's shoulder season.

Mary2e, it maybe a Korean fund but used by a businessman to purchase the hotel I am wondering if its the same one that owned and redeveloped Lewers Street? That was all assembled and redeveloped years ago.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Just got back from a 7 night stay, I'm sure my review is the same as it was last year and the same it will be next.

Globalist Club access, TSU for a 2 room Family suite, WAIVE Resort fees.

*CLUB was fine, I go during off hours, open 24 hours a day, Breakfast served during Breakfast hours 7-10am, Light food, 5-7 pm.
*Family Suite. Large space for Hawaii, basically two regular rooms attached. One room has a murphy bed and a large L shaped couch. TSU used, need to hunt these down usually 6-8 months out. Could use an update.
*Elevators are awful, they actually have on the TV showing expected wait times during different hours throughout the day. WOW.
*Staff, ALWAYS been kind and helpful, no complaints Always appreciated.
*This go around looked at the Buffet. 66$ a person? Are you kidding me?. I'm not a Buffet person to beging with, but 66$ plus tip and tax seems INSAME.
*GREAT LOCATION. Great location for every food budget $-$$$$$. The UDON place, 6 minute walk is my addiction. Cheap and fast on OFF HOURs. HUGE LINE, during BUSY HOURS. 6$ for Curry UNDO. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waikiki Beach and the Hyatt here, I know exactly what I am going to get. It's going to be BUSY and too many people everywhere for my taste. I'm not going to be underwhelmed or overwhelmed. I have been WOWED at many Hyatt Resorts and Hotels in different ways, ie upgrades, extras, just nice little things. I have never been wowed here. Its just how close can I get to 200$/night after R/T and no resort fees. Everything is good, nothing is great. Perfect place for a vacation with a teenager or two. PLENTY to do on their own.
Interested to know if you were able to share the Parlor Suite with your two teenagers? Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Are they now calling the standard suite a family suite?

I would imagine the murphy bed and couch combination would be good enough for 2 teens in that area, plus the second bathroom is a big plus.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:59 am

Are they now calling the standard suite a family suite?
The Family Ocean Suite is a standard suite while the Penthouse, Ambassador, and Presidential Suites are premium suites.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:20 am

I know that My question was have the renamed the standard suite to family suite? Or, my brain is now in a fog.

I've been at the hotel many, many times
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by suite2suite

Interested to know if you were able to share the Parlor Suite with your two teenagers? Thanks

Hi. Their are two set ups. One family ocean suite has a king in one room and a Murphy bed in the other. The other is two queens in one and a Murphy bed in the other. It’s really just two regular ocean front rooms with a connecting door that can be closed or left open. Our suite was room 3059 and 3060. I have heard, during busy times, they will rent out the Murphy room to an unexpected traveler. I would not be happy if I received a room with a Murphy bed. The kids loved it! Gave them space as if they were traveling by themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.