FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:21 am
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just heard something very troubling about the Regency Club. A friend stayed there recently and was denied access to the lanai of the club.... the reason? CATERING RENTED IT OUT FOR A PRIVATE PARTY. Yes, you read that right. Not the club - just the lanai.

Party-goers are now entering the locked club and heading for the lanai for a private party. RC guests cannot use it, much like they can't use the pool area at times when there's a wedding or a similar function. But the pool area is much larger, and often, the pool itself isn't impacted - just the area to one side beyond the hot tub.

So that means no eating outside, no drinks by the fire pit, and no sunset viewing for hotel guests. I've spent many a night on that lanai just sitting and enjoying. I've even spent time there during special events over the ocean, such as fireworks, or a parade. My fear is they will rent out the lanai during special events too.

What's going to stop those same guests from sitting in the club if it's a little chilly, windy, or wet? Or if they just feel like it?

So it was bad enough when the front desk was selling access to guests and the place became very, very overcrowded, particularly in the morning, but this is like a slap in the face to their guests - both long time and newbies. Either it's a regency club or it's a party room. It can't be both.

From what she told me, this has been done a few times already. I'll bet if it takes off, we will be seeing more of the "lanai closed" signs at that door
It's all about the bottom line, they have the best occupancy levels in years and Hyatt Corp seems to have turned a blind eye as has Marriott in their properties in the islands. Let the economy slow down and see what happens. And there's the labor contracts which are getting a little much. 100K for a housekeeper ? Sure it's expensive in the islands we all know that, my wife's family is from the islands but still 100K