Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ron88
Where friendliness meets incompetency - Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa

On December 27th I wanted to book a 14 days trip to Park Hyatt Maldives (Nov 27th to Dec. 11), so around a year in advance. As I plan to travel on my own, I wanted to add the Ayurveda package to pamper myself a bit, which is offered online for 2 person at USD 1.000/night. So I wrote them and thought, well, they can help me and give me a quote for one person and it will take just some days. Right now, I have to say, they are incompetent, lazy and give a .... on a perspective customer, including but not limited to the Team Manager and General Manager himselves.

In February, yes, right, two months later (!), I got a reply from the Team Manager that they are not able (actually: not willing) to give me a quote and I should come and then they will see, what is needed and make me an offer then. Is it really difficult to divide the 1.000 USD-package for 2 people to two, to get the price for 1 person? Seriously??? And why does it takes almost two months to come up with a "we dont care"-answer?
Ok, this incomptency would have been ok, as I dont have to deal with the Team Manager when being with them, right?

I thought, ok, when they are to stupid to get the basics right, then lets book the 14 days, still plenty of time left. The price almost tripled and I wrote them again.
They said, we are sorry, but we can charge now higher prices for these dates and started lying on me.
First, they said, the rate, I have seen on December 27th was not at Hyatt. When I proved them wrong, they said, well, maybe at this time the rate was this low but now we can charge higher prices and you perspective customer have to pay this price as it was seldom our incompetency and lazyness to answer an email within some days but take months to answer w/o solving the inquiry.

I replied, that I would have booked my holidays, when they would have answered in time (or at least, lets say within two weeks for this "we are not able to divide USD 1000 to two"-answer.
The General Manager replied and make me an offer, with different length of stay, "only" 50% higher prices plus here and there some fees adding.

I asked Hyatt for support, as I thought, they care in any way about a Globalist (meeh).

In consequence, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maledives tells me: When we are lazy and incompetent to solve your inquiry, the problem is solely on youe side and our job is to rip you off (or an other customer and sell them the room to the higher price). And regarding loyalty: I wrote to Hyatt Globalist team six times and received zero answers. I asked Hyatt US for support, no answer so far.

Dont get me wrong, I fully understand, when a customer comes up with fantasy prices he have seen years ago but when a customer asks to get the published quote when the company started to make faults, where is the problem?
Especially when the customer asks for an additional 7k USD-package, any company should be happy to support and make a quote within days. But when something goes wrong based solely on the companies side, who should take responsiblity? The customer or the company?
And when then the General Manager says, we give a .... and you, customer, have to take responsiblity for the faults on your side, I guess, this is what happens when you counter a problem on the island. What is then? When even the General Manager says, sure, we should have answered in time and we did not, sure, we should have make you an offer, we did not, but hey, we can sell the room for more money than before, so we can not give you the room to the price, we asked for before we make mistakes, as we dont care about customer satisfaction but money.
Yes they should have answered you more promptly. Hyatt central, like all hotel and airline chains have extreme response times atm.

Delaying to make your reservation when any seasoned traveller knows pricing is dynamic is your fault. Other then the fact that rates often change each year, inflation and revenge travel demand mean they can increase their prices significantly.

They do not have to discount a package intended for two people. I’m fact, this package looks like excellent value for a beach villa, all meals and a large number of experiences https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...vedic-package/

You're clearly unhappy so vote with your wallet.

Finally, welcome to FT.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:37 pm

Hello! I'm going to PH at the end of April and was wondering if I should purchase travel insurance. Any suggestions on what coverage I may need? Thank you!

edit by peteropny: edit I lieu of approval

Last edited by peteropny; Mar 23, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:51 am

Trip Report - March 2022

Trip Report to PH Maldives:

First ever trip to the Maldives on points redemption - ~34,000/night average for 6 nights in March, Globalist GOH benefit. I went with a few friends and it was a really good experience overall. Our emails prior to having a confirmed reservation went unanswered (for several weeks), especially from the activity center. But once we had a reservation number, the responses were quicker - between a 1-2 day turnaround... Who knows. Service was overall excellent, you're assigned a host for the duration of the stay and it's easy to communicate via whatsapp. That said, forget about getting any wifi if you're outside of any building (villa or restaurant) if you need to reach someone. I had no reception either, and it was fine.

Male to Kooddoo:
- Immigration was smooth, was met after picking up luggage by a Hyatt rep and taken to the lounge (also accessible with Priority Pass in the domestic terminal) for our 2 hour layover. It was an uneventful 2 hours, nothing exciting at the lounge, average food and drinks, Sea plane seats appeared to be assigned at random/in order of check-in. Flight was smooth, waited about 20mins+ for bags at airport for Kooddoo for whatever reason. Boat ride from Kooddoo to PH Maldives was the highlight of the day; we saw many dolphins along the way, delighting the 5yo on our boat.

PH Maldives Rooms:
- They were shockingly at 90%+ occupancy during our time there, so we did not get an upgrade till Day 4 of our stay to a Beach Pool Villa (set back from beach a tad) from a normal villa. Our friends got Beach Pool Villa #1 closest to the jetty with a pool right on the beach and it was absolutely gorgeous so we hung out there most days. Absolutely loved the outdoor shower and room size and layout. I slept on a rollaway bed and it was a very comfortable twin size, thick mattress, cosy bed.

Globalist Benefits:
- Absolutely rocked. Free canape and (1) cocktail for each person between 5-7pm at the Pool Bar which we went to every single night. Breakfast was also amazing - you could select (2) items from the menu, along with the buffet which had a good mix of western and eastern foods, and fruits/continental breakfast items. There was even sushi and smoked salmon. Room upgrade to Beach Pool Villa was also great.

Activities:
- Between everyone in the group, we snorkeled on the house reef, did discover scuba dive with one open dive, night snorkeling, traditional maldivian fishing, and the turtle discovery snorkel. The instructors for the most part were great; the scuba diving was way more expensive than expected, and the snorkeling was a great experience, especially the night snorkeling. For a 5-star resort however, I was pretty surprised and disappointed by the snorkels - masks were constantly fogging and snorkel did not have the one-way valve. Glass bottom kayaks were novel and are now charged at $20/kayak/hour. Best done on a sunny day however.

Food:
- Friends were on half-board package so they had dinner at the main restaurant every night; you can pick a starter, main, and dessert - more than enough options over the 6 nights we were there. A couple also ventured out to eat the Maldivian BBQ which was a whopping $160++/pax. We also caught some fish on our fishing trip and had it grilled by the restaurant. We were expecting slightly more unique/interesting dishes with a more obvious thai flair given the background of the chef; the fish curry was excellent when spice was doubled (heh), but otherwise the rest of the food was just good enough for equivalent prices. The prices have also increased by 12-15% as we were sometimes given a Dec 2021 menu by accident, and we were able to compare them.

Covid-19:
- Since we weren't returning to the USA, we had to use the on-property PCR test conducted by the on-island doctor - yes, there is one! It was $120+/test... Guests did not have to mask, while every employee on the island did, and we all felt incredibly safe and fortunate to be able to experience this, really appreciate the employees taking the care to remain masked. By the time we left, however, there was no longer a negative-test required to enter Maldives; so the risk of catching it while on vacation is likely higher. We had bought travel insurance that would cover $100/day in quarantine if needed and never had to use it.
PennyPincherCAN likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: WoH Globalist; AS MVP 75K; OW Emerald; AA Platinum Pro; HH Gold; MB Gold
The AC in the overwater villas was working fine when we stayed there in November/December last year. We did have significant problems with the power going out in villa #2 (deluxe beach pool villa) over several days. It was a newly renovated villa but clearly the electrical was still outdated. The renovations seem to be limited to repainting and new furniture.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:09 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Staying here now so happy to answer any recent questions.

The hotel location, hardware and server staff are great - this is the reason to come here. Unfortunately the food at the Dining Room and Island Grill is a sorry let down - average ingredients cooked seriously below the Park Hyatt standard you expect, especially at Park Hyatt prices. Breakfast is just OK - expect all inclusive 5 star food, or good quality 4 star standards. Dinners bad - cooked wrong. Didn't try the Japanese or Vegetarian (fully booked). Apparently food is a known concern and Michelen chef is being hailed as an incoming hero.

Fortunately hotel is very private - looks to be half capacity and will slow down further in coming weeks. Upgrades are priced at Beach Pool Villa:250++; Overwater Villa:350++; Deluxe Beach Pool Villa:500++.

Edit: Stayed in overwater villa and AC is new and works great.

Last edited by hsk; Apr 17, 2022 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by hsk
Apparently food is a known concern and Michelen chef is being hailed as an incoming hero.
Is there a new chef coming to the resort?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:29 pm

Do they have universal adapters in the rooms or do we need to bring our own?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Laineycakes
Do they have universal adapters in the rooms or do we need to bring our own?
My recollection is the plugs in the bathroom required an adapter for US style plugs. There are plugs in the top of the baseboard of the bed that support multiple plug types. I don't recall what the desk had because it had USB so I didn't need to use a plug for what I charging there.
Laineycakes likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:48 am
hsk

Originally Posted by levelnine
Is there a new chef coming to the resort?
Apparently so. Mentioned by check out staff after stating not-so-happy dining experiences.
Old May 14, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
question about domestic flight MLE-Koodoo. From the Maldivian Airlines website, it shows schedule with flight leaving 6am(ish) and the next one at 2pm. maybe flight schedules are not adjusted until closer to the day? We will be coming from Dubai and can pick any flight. I'm interested to take the Emirate 2:30am flight that arrives MLE at 7:30am. Has anyone done this and do you really have to wait till 2pm or is there an earlier connecting flight? The other option is to take 9am flight from Dubai, but that means we'll be getting to the hotel around 6-7pm. If we can get there earlier (arrive MLE 7:30am), is the hotel ok about earlier arrival? I'm ok not to have our villa ready and happy to just hang out by the pool, have lunch and relax rather than spend the time in the air flying from Dubai.
Any other advice on best connections/flight combo coming from Dubai? We'll be in Dubai for a few days prior, so can really pick the best flight that would get us to the hotel as early in the day as possible without spending half a day in MLE.
thank you!
Old May 15, 2022, 1:14 am

I just got back and our domestic transfer flight was at 11:50am. We arrived at Male at around 8:40am so it was perfect. The Park Hyatt arranged the transfers and we did not find out the time time of our flight until the day before we arrived in Male.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:08 am

Don't worry about the getting from Male to Koodoo. The PH will take care of it. It sounds like the Maldivian flights are not really finalized until within a week of the flight. It wouldn't surprise me if they add flights if needed. It seems like most of the morning flights are there by 9:00 am based on what I saw going through immigration. I was on Qatar and they had three flights arriving by 8:40 am. I'm confident that you will not need to until 2 pm. When you arrive, the PH will meet you and take you to a lounge in the domestic terminal. They will check you and your luggage in while you wait in the lounge. When it's time to leave they will come up and get you.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by lerasp
question about domestic flight MLE-Koodoo. From the Maldivian Airlines website, it shows schedule with flight leaving 6am(ish) and the next one at 2pm. maybe flight schedules are not adjusted until closer to the day? We will be coming from Dubai and can pick any flight. I'm interested to take the Emirate 2:30am flight that arrives MLE at 7:30am. Has anyone done this and do you really have to wait till 2pm or is there an earlier connecting flight? The other option is to take 9am flight from Dubai, but that means we'll be getting to the hotel around 6-7pm. If we can get there earlier (arrive MLE 7:30am), is the hotel ok about earlier arrival? I'm ok not to have our villa ready and happy to just hang out by the pool, have lunch and relax rather than spend the time in the air flying from Dubai.
Any other advice on best connections/flight combo coming from Dubai? We'll be in Dubai for a few days prior, so can really pick the best flight that would get us to the hotel as early in the day as possible without spending half a day in MLE.
thank you!
They will get you there as fast as they can, but my understanding is that tickets really aren't finalized until you physically show up.

The schedules change, plus the flights are very susceptible to weather. We left DXB at 4am (I think) and landed in MLE around 9am (also hoping to get the earlier flight out), and yes - we were unfortunately stuck waiting in the lounge for about 5 hours. We also nearly missed our flight out of MLE on the return due to flight delays. The need for the local flight + boat is honestly the only reason I do not think we will return to the Park Hyatt, it can take far too long to get there, and it is all luck of the draw.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Originally Posted by hsk
Apparently so. Mentioned by check out staff after stating not-so-happy dining experiences.
Regarding the new chef, just heard from the GM that this is the new chef as of late April:
https://th.linkedin.com/in/fernando-...4-4d5fcca82d74

He has a website as well... food looks good: https://chefferdi.com/

I'm hoping for a return to more Maldivian favorites on the menus and some more "interesting" options on the menus, because the ones posted on the website now look like the most generic Western hotel menus I've ever seen... a big departure from what used to be the high standard for great food at this property. We've stayed 3 or 4 times before, under multiple different exec chefs who all had great visions and executions for their menus. Hoping it changes a lot by our visit in late June-early July. Would love to hear what others who stay here say over the next month or so about F&B program and improvements.
hsk likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:35 am
hsk

Originally Posted by orca1114
... the ones posted on the website now look like the most generic Western hotel menus I've ever seen... a big departure from what used to be the high standard for great food at this property.
Sums up our experience in April. Felt we were eating at an airport Hyatt Regency lunch and dinner - far from a Park Hyatt, especially a flagship.

I see foam, deconstructed cuisine, etc (not a fan personally) on the new chef's site but the issues today are more basic - improperly and inconsistently prepared items/ingredients. Hope steak cuts, seafood cleaning (dirt/sand), and tuna curry tasting different from one day to another can be fixed.

Last edited by hsk; May 18, 2022 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.