Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rooms are available from Aug 1 now, but opening special offer of first night free seems never available.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I've got a 6 day trip planned for the 2nd week of August, starting to get a bit nervous. Had locked in these rates pre deval but not quite sure it's going to be worth it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AS
Stay in September

Staying at Baha Mar from September 16-23 for our honeymoon. After reading about the debacle that was Ziva/Zillara in Montego Bay, I am waiting for the opening to be pushed back past our arrival date. I feel bad for all the others that have had plans change due to no fault of their own but because of the mis-mangement and lack of leadership with the property. Hyatt should be shelling out bigger than they are now to all of you who have had vacation plans ruined
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

To follow up with my previous post, ultimately, despite a rocky start which included some unfortunate haggling, I have to say, Hyatt has gone above and beyond to accommodate us and make the situation right. I wont go into all the particulars (and some of the final details are still being hashed out), but I feel that I have been more than made whole. We rebooked at a different resort for different dates (which were based upon when I could find an award flight to the new destination) and I am actually very excited about the trip. Because of how we've been compensated, I truly harbor no ill will toward Hyatt and what happened here and my frustration has pretty much completely turned into excited anticipation for the newly booked trip. So many thanks, Hyatt, for doing the right thing.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Originally Posted by wco
Yep. Got the email from them this morning, and I received the same compensation offers that others have received - 1) rebook at a later date with 20K points per night as compensation and airline change fees reimbursed up to $300 per person; 2) stay at Atlantis on my own dime and 20K points per night as compensation; 3) cancel altogether with 20K points per night as compensation and airline cancellation fees and/or original ticket reimbursed up to $300 per person.

For June 12-14, there was no availability at Atlantis, so wasn't an option (clear fail right there). I ended up just cancelling altogether. I was told that I have to email them a copy of the 1) original airline receipt and 2) a cancellation receipt.

I wasn't too attached to going, but all of this definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Meh.
I'm confused, what's the difference between 1 and 3? Are they comping the later date in 1 and giving the 20k points?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:47 am
wco

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dparkinson
I'm confused, what's the difference between 1 and 3? Are they comping the later date in 1 and giving the 20k points?
Sorry for the ambiguity. In option 1, they are simply offering to reschedule (still have to pay for the room) but will pay for airline change fees and give 20K points/night. In option 3, they will refund the booking, reimburse the cost of the cancelled flights, and give 20K points/night.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
So here's a question regarding compensation for cancelled flights. I have United non refundable flights. If I cancel them I have to pay $150 x 4 to cancel, versus just not showing up at the airport. So now instead of being out $1200 for the original flights, I'd be out $1,200 plus additional cancel fees bringing the total to more than the Hyatt offer.

What are others experience?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You're not out $1200 for the flights. You'll receive a voucher for the fare and the change fee would be applied when you went to rebook your flights.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:11 pm

Mary,

I don't want to rebook. I'm coming from CA and not interested in repeating another attempt within 1 year (which is what they give you to use the credit). The airline might let me rebook another itinerary, but I have no plans on the horizon to go anywhere. So I think unless I use it, I loose it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You don't have to reuse it to the Bahamas. It's a credit you can use, within 1 year, to any destination.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mary2e
You don't have to reuse it to the Bahamas. It's a credit you can use, within 1 year, to any destination.
Be careful with that. I've had fares on UA into AUA that could only be ised to AUA.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Mary2e
At any rate further clarification would help here. The time period is book by 1 year following ticket issuance and not 1 year from the original travel date. Also, for the credit to work the entire trip has to be operated by UA and not a partner airline in the itinerary. I was faced with that last year after my mother cancelled a trip to BKK due to the unrest. Meanwhile UA discontinued service to BKK and they refused to let her use the voucher for BKK since the NRT-BKK leg is operated by NH even though the original ticket was to BKK.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:45 am

I got my details a little backwards. Here's my itinerary: SFO-MIA-NAS (AA award miles x4), NAS-DCA (AA $$), DCA-SFO (UA $$).

So if I don't go at all, I'm subject to $150 + 75x3 for the award cancellation SFO-NAS. For NAS-DCA the cancel fee is $200 +75x3 leaving me with a whopping credit of 67.00 per person for use within 1 year of booking. For DCA-SFO $200 pp change fee leaving me with a $100 credit pp for use later.

So if I understand what Hyatt is proposing is that one pays the change fees, submit the bill (hopefully get reimbursed in a timely fashion) and then use their whopping airline flight credit later. This seems like a huge hassel, IMO.

Maybe I'll just not make the MIA-NAS connection and drive down to the Keys and then book a MIA-DCA using avios. I'm banging my head that I didn't use avios in the first place for NAS-DCA.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
The Hyatt webpage says that they are accepting bookings from June 16th onwards, but I can't find anything in June at all. Does that mean they are fully booked or just hoping to convince people who are booked in the second half of June that they will be open?
Old May 1, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
The Hyatt webpage says that they are accepting bookings from June 16th onwards, but I can't find anything in June at all. Does that mean they are fully booked or just hoping to convince people who are booked in the second half of June that they will be open?
99.9% what you said

"hoping to convince people who are booked in the second half of June that they will be open?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.