Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Post We got the call also...did a whole new rebooking for November

Our reservation was for late July into August. We got the call/email from Hyatt. We opted for the 80,000 points to cancel (20,000 points per night for a four-night reservation, plus a bit additional because of expiring award night certificate situation) and rebooked for November.

I wrote up a detailed post on our thinking on the three options we were offered by Hyatt. In the end, I'm not happy this happened in the first place but I do feel that Hyatt made a very reasonable offer to make up for the hassle. ^

Full post here: http://thehoneymoonguy.com/lesson-le...-opening-date/
Old May 7, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
The delay is definitely unfortunate and I too was unhappy to cancel my vacation plans. However this experience has shown just how much Hyatt customer service shines. They have been wonderful to work with and extremely accommodating. The reps have been informed and highly professional through all of this. This is truly the reason I have been so loyal to Hyatt for so many years.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by NJNY
The delay is definitely unfortunate and I too was unhappy to cancel my vacation plans. However this experience has shown just how much Hyatt customer service shines. They have been wonderful to work with and extremely accommodating. The reps have been informed and highly professional through all of this. This is truly the reason I have been so loyal to Hyatt for so many years.
I agree. I called the Diamond line Sunday to process a DSU on another reservation and just happened asked the rep about my reservation in July, which she responded would not be in jeopardy. Come Monday night I find out that is incorrect.

I called in Monday night and spoke with Jennifer, who listened to me complain for a while and took it all in stride. Took the 20,000 points per night for two rooms for a total of 120,000 points. Was offered to also rebook at predevaluation rates, but couldn't make any dates work. She has already processed my flight cancellation check and deposited the points in my account.

It's not the best situation, but I think Hyatt has done the best it can. Now I'm going to take the points and go to Paris for four nights.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:07 am

I agree that Hyatt has handled the situation well, especially compared to some of those booked at Baha Mar based on Facebook posts. I've never been to Nassau and was looking forward to trying out the resort but when our Memorial weekend trip got canceled, I opted not to rebook there. Will wait until they actually open and read reviews. It must be frustrating for Hyatt though as it seems the delay is mostly due to construction of the shared facilities and other properties.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Hyatt treats cancellations very well.^

I had two reservations at Ziva Los Cabos cancelled and all I got was a cancellation email. I hope to do better on third try where I have nonrefundable flights booked already.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
While I was originally pretty irritated, I'm over the cancellation now and have to agree with other posters the Hyatt team was very professional and took care of my requests with little to no problem.

BTW if anyone is interested we're going to Grand Isle Resort on Exuma. I had no desire to go to Atlantis. It looks like a rustic island with far fewer people. Maybe we'll make our way over to see the swimming pigs (that's a real thing, not an insult to anyone
Old May 12, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Grand Hyatt to open in the Bahamas

Ruh roh shaggy - http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...Top+Stories%29

Last edited by stinger101; May 12, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by stinger101
Uh.... someone shot shaggy almost I'm definitely making alternate August plans now.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by stinger101
Wow. This is heading toward one of the most epic hotel opening fails of all time.

We rebooked our stay to November. Southwest's schedule for November opens tomorrow and I was planning on rebooking our flights then. Now I'm wondering if I'm losing out on the opportunity to get cheap flights and lodging for somewhere else by hanging onto hope that the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar will be open by November.

Last edited by meecal; May 15, 2015 at 11:31 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by meecal
Wow. This is heading toward one of the most epic hotel opening fails of all time.

We rebooked our stay to November. Southwest's schedule for November opens tomorrow and I was planning on rebooking our flights then. Now I'm wondering if I'm losing out on the opportunity to get cheap flights and lodging for somewhere else by hanging onto hope that the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar will be open by November.
The article states that it is unlikely to open THIS YEAR, thus I would not hold out much hope for November reservations at the Hyatt-- at least not inNov 2015.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:22 pm

We are booked for a week starting Aug 1.Customer care assures me that all is fine with my reservation and the hotel WILL be open then.Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that it will indeed be open by then? Or should I just assume the worst and look into other carribean destinations? I have non refundable flights
Old May 23, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Grand Hyatt to open in the Bahamas

Yes. You're being overly optimistic. Make a refundable/changeable backup plan.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AS
Originally Posted by schilpa
We are booked for a week starting Aug 1.Customer care assures me that all is fine with my reservation and the hotel WILL be open then.Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that it will indeed be open by then? Or should I just assume the worst and look into other carribean destinations? I have non refundable flights
I have reservations for September 16-23. I made a call last week to the phone number Hyatt is telling you us to call and since they are still planning on being open August 1st they can't offer me anything. So I can either cancel my reservations or keep them for the time being. Pretty inconvenient since everything to pointing to them not being open by then.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by davidaldrich58
I have reservations for September 16-23. I made a call last week to the phone number Hyatt is telling you us to call and since they are still planning on being open August 1st they can't offer me anything. So I can either cancel my reservations or keep them for the time being. Pretty inconvenient since everything to pointing to them not being open by then.
Precisely,if they are not going to open on time the least they could do is give us as much notice as possible so that we can look into alternatives.I am checking other options while maintaining a faint hope that they may still open
Old May 27, 2015, 6:50 am

Anyone know what the cancellation policy is for this place? Is it the normal full refund if canceling more than 14 days out or something different?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.