Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by soliloquy
I may have misunderstood, but the way breakfast was introduced to us, we were told that "what's over there...hand gesture to buffet area" is for the continental buffet. If you want the full American buffet, you can order those items from the menu and that's also what the menu said.
If you explained there was a misunderstanding, and they nonetheless charged you for the full buffet based on two sausages, that would be poor service.
Originally Posted by soliloquy
Fruit flies aren't my choice of protein.
Only if properly prepared
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Several...
I'm updating my review to give praise to Aviara for addressing my concerns in an unexpected way. My original review is below. I was contacted by Aviara unexpectedly. Honestly, I was surprised because I had not yet made any complaints to management (only mentioned the fruit flies to wait staff at breakfast). But, Aviara took the iniative to read my review on Trip Advisor. To set the stage, we had just come home from a long day in Santa Monica and Pomona. I had written my review on trip advisor but not discussed some of my concerns with management that I figured were just par for the course (like the luxury scent that was irritating my sinuses and the lack of a microwave). I was just going to deal with it. But, both eerily and delightfully, when I came back to the hotel, there was a microwave that had mysteriously appeared in our room. My husband and I looked at each other confused because we had been there for 5 days at this point and that microwave was not there before. We began to joke that Aviara must have ears in the room, but then I recalled my review on Trip Advisor and realized someone there must have seen it and then went through the trouble of trying to figure how who posted the review since I did not leave my name or telephone number (obviously).

I also received a call from management the next day telling me that the luxury scent that was plaguing me was going to be turned off during my stay. It was explained to me that this scent is only ventilated in the common areas, so either the scent is spreading to the rooms or the scent is staying in my nasal passages when I went to my room. Either way, I was absolutely stunned and a bit embarrassed to be told that they'd stop using the luxury scent until the end of my stay. I felt bad and relieved at the same time because I'm sure there were others that enjoyed it. It just totally sent my allergies into overdrive.

They also compensated me for the issue at breakfast and I am thankful. I felt heard and appreciated and that will stay with me much longer than any issues I experienced.

The only other issue that came up is that we came home on June 11 (after staying there 8 days). I had checked out in person at the front desk, reviewed my invoice, and received a final statement with a $0.00 balance after asking the front desk to apply a credit that was due from the Hyatt Prive reservation. Then well after I arrived home last last night (June 11), I was charged for breakfast at 2AM. My Chase branded card sends me a text messages whenever a charge is applied to my card or I probably never would have noticed. I had to call the hotel today (spoke with Matt) and explain that I had a package for breakfast (which they should have already known) and request that they credit my card the ~$81.76 that I was charged. It was frustrating that I had to both ask for the credit I was due and also ask for the charge to be corrected. But, those are minor issues in the scheme of things.

But, all in all, I will change my review to 4 stars. Why? Because some of these issues should have been resolved without my prompting. There's room for improvement. But, I will contend that the way they dealt with my concerns after posting here was a 5 star hospitality response.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Staying here for a night while I'm exploring the California coast. Heard from a bartender that this was recently sold to a new management group. They're putting in $60 million in renovations for the whole place including nicely upgraded rooms.

Will be interesting if it's true and how they look after. I understand this place was updated 6 years ago but it's starting to show it's age because of design choices.

Other than that it's been a fantastic stay. If I do the breakfast tomorrow I'll report back.
ABG likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Stayed three nights earlier this summer and finally getting around to a review. I visited the resort twice when it was branded as a Four Seasons. This was my first time back in ages. The grand design has held up but a renovation is needed as there is wear and tear throughout the property. Service was good and we had a great time and will return. Breakfast was delicious. I have been to the the three big Hyatt SoCal resorts:Indian Wells, Huntington Beach, and now Aviara. I liked Aviara the best. If they are going to do a big renovation as previous poster stated it will probably move up to Cat 6. Read below for more details.

Booking:
Used points.20k Cat 5. There was ample availabilty throughout the summer. Rates with taxes and fees hovered over $400 with taxes and fees. Good redemption.

Check In
Thanked for my loyalty and offered Globalist upgrade to Park Suite. Received a little note regarding my benefits and was walked to elevator.

Room:
Park Suite. Spacious with view of pool. Furniture looked newer. Large bathroom and closet. Couch bed uncomfortable.

Resort:
The common areas have high ceilings and dark wood throughout. The adult pool had great views and service. Fun game room as well. Really good for both families and couples. Nice outdoor patio for evening drinks and dinner.

Breakfast:
Service was good and buffet was was of high quality. House baked pastries were outstanding and they had a house made yogurt that was the best I ever had. Creamy little jars of crack.

Overall we had a great time and will return.

Important note:
The local town of Carlsbad had many fun places to eat and drink and was very lively on the weekends. Be sure to mingle with the locals and spend money on the local businesses. We went to a cool brewery/pizzeria Pizzaport.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The resort looks as beautiful as ever but the rooms don't look too dissimilar to a HH I stayed at a few months ago.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
The resort looks as beautiful as ever but the rooms don't look too dissimilar to a HH I stayed at a few months ago.
Really? The grounds look beautiful...but the property overall looks quite dated. We had lunch there a few months ago and were struck by how desperately this place needs a renovation and overhaul. It looks trapped in 2002.

(But the F&B was quite good.)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They haven't learned not to use that cotton paper in their laser printer yet?

That sheet look terrible.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The Park Hyatt Aviara will begin a 60 million redesign starting this month.

Here's the timeline:

And pictures of what the rooms will look like based on the model rooms they have completed:

River in Sight likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Great news regarding the renovations, and I can't wait to give it a try after they are finished. I always liked the property, but renovations have been long overdue.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That looks great! Wonder what the bathrooms will look like?

the new design looks more in line with the PH ethos and style
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Anyone been at the property recently?

Considering a stay at the end of March, but not sure how much things are in transition at the moment with the construction.

Thanks for any info!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Anyone been at the property recently?

Considering a stay at the end of March, but not sure how much things are in transition at the moment with the construction.

Thanks for any info!
Not sure which dates you are looking at in March, but reminder the LPGA tournament is there March 26-29. I wanted to stay there that week, and play golf. But it's a no go from the 23rd onward. Not sure when it opens fully back up, the LPGA moves to Palm Springs the next week
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:35 pm

Any recent reports? Curious if renovations have been done yet?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by madderlake
Any recent reports? Curious if renovations have been done yet?
Closed until September 1st.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:01 am

@dpb132 - ah, just saw that. Thanks! Can't wait to see the renovations in September then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.