Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thnarf
I recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Aviara hotel over two different weekends. Once in an Executive Suite, and once in a Park Suite.

I did a little video review of the Hotel, and the Park Deluxe Suite — if you’d like to see the hotel and rooms in a video, check it out here: Park Hyatt Aviara Resort Review - YouTube

The Park Hyatt Aviara is located in Carlsbad, California — which is about 25 mile north of downtown San Diego. The Park Hyatt Aviara is situated on the top of hill overlooking a huge property, home to ton’s of resort amenities including a golf course designed by Arnold Palmer. In addition to overlooking the golf course, the hotel also overlooks the Batiquitos Lagoon, and the Pacific Ocean (about two miles away).

The main hotel building is 5-stories, has 327 guest rooms and about 40 suites. All of the rooms have balconies, which is nice to enjoy the warm Southern California sun.

Unless you’re planning on just being a “resortist” and never leaving the hotel, I’d advise that you bring your car, or a rental car, because there isn’t much of anything within walking distance. Parking is 100% valet parking — there is no self parking option. That valet service was always quick, prompt, and courteous.

We arrived at the hotel at about 2:30pm — they said our room wasn’t ready, but they gave us a “house key” so that we could wander around the property while we were waiting for our room which would be “guaranteed” to be available at 4pm. Ordinarily 90 minutes would seem like a long time to wait for a room, but there is so much to see and do on this property that the time went by really fast.

When 4pm rolled around and we went back to the front desk to “check-in” again, lo and behold we found they’ve upgraded us to a Park Deluxe Suite. Definitely worth the wait! This room was amazing… but more on the room later.

The Park Hyatt Aviara is home to three main restaurants.. California Bistro for breakfast, and Vivace for dinner. For lunch options, there is a cafe in the swimming pool pool area, the main lobby bar area, and afternoon tea in the lobby as well. Breakfast at California Bistro was a tasty American buffet breakfast, with cooked to order Omelettes, Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast. As a Hyatt Diamond member, the breakfast was complimentary.

Vivace is an Italian restaurant that has a few different “pre-fixe” menu options. Their specialty is their pasta (made in house every day) and the lobster risotto. The night we were there the restaurant was featuring live music, a classical guitarist. The food here was quite good, but do plan to spend at least 2 hours on your dinner. It’s not quick! Also — there is a dress code, no shorts, sandals, etc.

There are two main swimming pools, a “family” pool, and an “adult” swimming pool for those 21 and up. The adult pool is definitely the cooler looking of the two. The adult pool is situated on the edge of the hilltop overlooking the golf course and lagoon. Two bars flank the sides of the adult pool so that your cup will never be empty!

As a resort hotel, there are tons of other amenities. The Spa has two jacuzzis, a steam room, a sauna, massage, etc, etc, etc. There’s also a tennis complex with about 10 tennis courts, volley ball, lawn bowling, croquet, horse shoes, and more. Use of the tennis complex is free if you’re staying at the hotel, and they also include all the equipment you need to play, including tennis rackets, tennis balls, and complimentary bottles of water. On the golf course, hotel guests also get complimentary use of the putting practice green, and driving range.

Now on to the room: The Park Deluxe Suite is amazing, and huge! It’s 1,100 square feet, with two bathrooms, two closest, two balconies, two televisions… there’s almost two of everything! Hard to describe everything in the room — check out the video to “see” it — thats a lot better!
Just checked out the very useful video review as I decide whether to stay at the Aviara. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:30 pm

Not particularly happy with this property, Glob line said no Park Luxury Suite available so can't apply SU. Called property and told them that and asked if it was possible to use SU on a lower end suite like Park or Park Deluxe, they said okay but to call Glob line back. Glob line said no and I called the property back and got a different person and said there was nothing they can do except put a note on it that I wanted to use a SU.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:06 pm

I guess a quick follow up on my situation I contacted Hyatt over Twitter and they called the hotel and the hotel called me later today to explain essentially what I've already been told.

Because the Park Luxury Suite is not available I cannot use a TSU to get a confirmed upgrade now. They said all they could do for me was just for me to show up on the arrival date and if the Park Suite is available they would give that to me as per new Globalist policy and if the Park Deluxe was available at check in that I could use my TSU on the spot to get that.

Yes, it's procedure and yes it's somewhat damage control for not offering the introductory level suite as a TSU but I don't think I can push this any further at this point.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:37 am

Read the thread...this hotel is well known for its nonsense. They have about 1 Park Deluxe suite, which is why they violate the T&C by using a "higher" suite for DSU...they don't want to honor them so they offer a suite that they have almost none of. I ended up getting a Park Suite here during my stay but had to fight ahead of time to force them to honor the T&C and give me the entry suite. PH Chicago is similar as are many others...
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:41 am

I did read, I'm just stating the the nonsense is still continuing since the last post was a few months back. Disappointed but expected.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:47 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by antonius66
Read the thread...this hotel is well known for its nonsense. They have about 1 Park Deluxe suite, which is why they violate the T&C by using a "higher" suite for DSU...they don't want to honor them so they offer a suite that they have almost none of. I ended up getting a Park Suite here during my stay but had to fight ahead of time to force them to honor the T&C and give me the entry suite. PH Chicago is similar as are many others...
I'm sorry to hear this if accurate.It's issues like this and other genuine manipulations at select hotels
regarding hotel suite inventory that are going to damage the potential for the new Globalist tier to be successful in the long run
Especially when it launches with the thinned ranks in 2018 for those that really do qualify in 2017.
This is the year where hotels really need to get on board and take "World of Hyatt" seriously to the next level if
its ever going to happen or folks are going to take a pass and move on to bigger programs with less or equal requirements.

I had a nice stay at PH Aviara 2 or 3 years ago and for the most part
they were pretty good to me at the time on arrival upgrading me past what the expectation was
Also believe at least with this property the internal business culture is still torn between being a Former Four Seasons
where they charge for everything including breathing and ownership/management struggling to be Hyatt/ Globalist friendly with regards to recognition.
In ny own experience most Hyatt's do a really good job but Park Hyatt once considered the ultimate experience within Hyatts portfolio of Hotels
seem to struggle with this compared to other Hyatt Full service brands.Which is odd to me.The luxury properties should be leading the way
New York being the most glaring example but others have mentioned Chicago
Park Hyatt Vienna is a hotel consistently getting recognition right^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 5, 2017 at 11:59 am
Old May 30, 2017, 9:42 am

Well I finished my stay here over the holiday weekend. No upgrade but the property was almost at full capacity while I was there. Had a Palm Court King so nothing too special but free breakfast was good as a Glob.

I still think their uniforms for the staff in the outdoor areas is kinda tacky and reminds me of like 90s fashion but I understand it's also a golf/tennis resort. Definitely can tell that it wasn't a Hyatt property from scratch. I did see a change of ownership sign in the front though, sign was posted 5-24-17 and "Type of License" was 47-on-sale general eating place. Who knows what it could mean.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Another successful 3-nights stay at this lovely property - want to outline the following points:

- This was a Points and Cash reservation for 2 adults and 2 kids
- Suite Upgrade on the 5th floor overlooking the pool (# 519) even though they were near full capacity due to Comic Con
- Turn down service was performed nightly providing chocolates and extra water - they even solved my boy's rubix cube
- Late checkout of 4 PM was honored.
- The new WoH rules of no charge for resort fee were honored without asking.
- Breakfast at California Bistro for 4 - service has gone down here but the food is good.
- As usual, beautiful grounds, great service and relaxing time
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Should be interesting to see what happens now.

Carlsbad’s luxury resort, Park Hyatt Aviara, has been taken over by its lender following a years-long struggle by its previous owners to repay debt that was coming due.Although the transfer of ownership was recorded in early June, there was no formal announcement nor publicity surrounding the transaction.A grant deed “in lieu of foreclosure” recorded in early June documents the transfer of the resort property to CW Capital Asset Management for the amount of unpaid debt totaling $186.5 million.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...811-story.html
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Should be interesting to see what happens now.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...811-story.html
Probably even more nickel and diming of guests, if I had to take a guess.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:56 am

i just prefer San Diego without a car and stay at the Andaz - never understood the appeal of n county, especially when 3 miles from the beach.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Do Globalist’s have to pay the valet fee?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Do Globalist’s have to pay the valet fee?
Yes on revenue and P+C stays but not during all points stays

Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just stayed here on points. Low expectations based on this thread, but a very pleasant stay. Though mere Explorist now, front desk did its best to give me a good room, first offering 5th floor with a view of the pool and lagoon; I asked for something quieter, and was given 4th floor with view of courtyard. It was indeed quiet and peaceful, such that I was able to leave the sliders open at night. Rooms are very large and nicely appointed, including illy espresso machine. Most rooms are the same size, with the exception of a small number at the ends of the buildings with ocean view, and apparently a rather small number of suites. So this is a property where absence of an upgrade wouldn't much matter to me.

Facilities are very nice. Separate adults only pool is has gorgeous views out over the lagoon toward the ocean. Fitness center is spacious and well equipped.

Service was really good - consistently cheerful and attentive. I paid for the breakfast buffet ($32) and felt it was worth it. Large selection of quality items, plus omelette station, and you can ask server for pancakes, waffles, etc.

Valets were very quick with the car. I really enjoy north county, so proximity to Solana Beach, Encinitas, and Carlsbad was perfect.

Resort fee was waived on points stay. Overall an excellent value for 20k points and I definitely plan to return.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just stayed here on points. Low expectations based on this thread, but a very pleasant stay. Though mere Explorist now, front desk did its best to give me a good room, first offering 5th floor with a view of the pool and lagoon; I asked for something quieter, and was given 4th floor with view of courtyard. It was indeed quiet and peaceful, such that I was able to leave the sliders open at night. Rooms are very large and nicely appointed, including illy espresso machine. Most rooms are the same size, with the exception of a small number at the ends of the buildings with ocean view, and apparently a rather small number of suites. So this is a property where absence of an upgrade wouldn't much matter to me.

Facilities are very nice. Separate adults only pool is has gorgeous views out over the lagoon toward the ocean. Fitness center is spacious and well equipped.

Service was really good - consistently cheerful and attentive. I paid for the breakfast buffet ($32) and felt it was worth it. Large selection of quality items, plus omelette station, and you can ask server for pancakes, waffles, etc.

Valets were very quick with the car. I really enjoy north county, so proximity to Solana Beach, Encinitas, and Carlsbad was perfect.

Resort fee was waived on points stay. Overall an excellent value for 20k points and I definitely plan to return.
Thanks for the review. We’ve long considered this as a possible stay with our dog, since the hotel is pet friendly and we live only an hour or so away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.