Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Is the resort fee or parking ever comped for Diamonds
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:34 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by rntraveller
Is the resort fee or parking ever comped for Diamonds
Recent 3-night stay on C+P rate - was charged the resort fee for all 3 nights, but only one night for parking! I did not ask for parking credit and they did not say they'd give me one but there it was saved $50
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:11 pm

Will be staying in San Diego for a few nights. Is this resort still tough to use a DSU? Just read the previous pages and noticed entry level suites are limited. Might book at the GH San Diego if I can't get upgrades. Just trying to burn a DSU for a quick weekend getaway in SD. I do realize the resort is ~40mins from the city
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by emofeng
Will be staying in San Diego for a few nights. Is this resort still tough to use a DSU? Just read the previous pages and noticed entry level suites are limited. Might book at the GH San Diego if I can't get upgrades. Just trying to burn a DSU for a quick weekend getaway in SD. I do realize the resort is ~40mins from the city
I've never had a problem using a DSU at this hotel, surprisingly. What I will say is that the standard rooms are still fairly large (500 sq ft) and have balconies, so even if you can't use one, a regular room out toward the end of the buildings (I think they call it a panoramic view room) is still very nice. Breakfast here is one of my favorites as well.

If you are absolutely wanting to use a DSU, I'd probably recommend the Andaz over the GH, unless you don't want to stay in the gaslamp. Breakfast on the roof there is nice, edging out the GH lounge with a view of the marina for me. The GH feels like a convention hotel, but a DSU there does get you a giant conference suite I believe.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:22 am

I was unable to find availability for my dsu at the aviara so I ended up at the Manchester grand Hyatt. The conference suite was seriously awesome and the view was amazing. I'd highly recommend it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've never had a problem using a DSU at this hotel, surprisingly. What I will say is that the standard rooms are still fairly large (500 sq ft) and have balconies, so even if you can't use one, a regular room out toward the end of the buildings (I think they call it a panoramic view room) is still very nice. Breakfast here is one of my favorites as well.

If you are absolutely wanting to use a DSU, I'd probably recommend the Andaz over the GH, unless you don't want to stay in the gaslamp. Breakfast on the roof there is nice, edging out the GH lounge with a view of the marina for me. The GH feels like a convention hotel, but a DSU there does get you a giant conference suite I believe.
Thank you for the valuable comment. I didn't look into the Andaz, but I will throw that in the equation and look at the reviews. This trip is mainly for a weekend gateaway(From SF) with the SO and at the same time, would love to burn a DSU before it expires. Cheap rates.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by emofeng
Thank you for the valuable comment. I didn't look into the Andaz, but I will throw that in the equation and look at the reviews. This trip is mainly for a weekend gateaway(From SF) with the SO and at the same time, would love to burn a DSU before it expires. Cheap rates.
I'd probably also suggest then that you decide on the atmosphere you want for the trip. At the PH everything will be nice, but you'll be mostly property captive. Parking is valet-only which adds to the inertia to wander off site. The Andaz is in the middle of the bars and has more of a party atmosphere. Don't forget the PH's resort and parking fees. If you stay, it's probably worth it to Uber both ways, especially by the time you're done tipping valets.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The Andaz is in the middle of the bars and has more of a party atmosphere.
One of the few hotels I know that actually warns guests on booking page about the noise from the nightclub on the roof. Not to mention the street noise from Gaslamp.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
One of the few hotels I know that actually warns guests on booking page about the noise from the nightclub on the roof. Not to mention the street noise from Gaslamp.
FWIW, I stayed in an interior courtyard facing suite on the next to top floor (3rd? can't remember) and it was quiet. They do have a few rooms with a lower noise level.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:12 am

For me, using a DSU here was a massive ordeal. I basically had to complaint to my PL rep because the hotel was CLEARLY gaming the HGP rules and she had to do some behind the scenes work and they finally gave in and honored it. They get around DSUs by making the DSU level suite the one above the entry level suite, so they have very few of them. This is, of course, despite the fact that the HGP rules clearly state that for DSU they must use the entry level suite...but alas, other hotels do this also and there is no punishment. However, if you CAN get a DSU here, great. Carlsbad is not the same as staying in downtown San Diego, though, depending on what you are looking for. I have stayed at the Manchester GH and used a DSU NUMEROUS times and this is one of the best values in the chain for DSU. The conference suite (I think they call it something else now...) is like 1000 sq ft and has great views. I also stayed at the Andaz, and if you want to be right in the center of the gaslamp downtown, then that is the place, otherwise, it would not be my choice.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Smile

Agree stayed last year at GH on P&C used DSU and got conference suite on a weekend. Awsome great view. Club is nice open 24 hrs . Love the convenience f being pretty much in Seaport Village with tons of restaurants etc. Close to Sunday Seafood market with great food
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Upgrades are all depend on availability ...

At check in, was upgraded without using the DSU to a suite on the second floor (Lobby is on the 3rd floor as the structure is on an incline). After the first night requested a higher floor, and was again upgraded to a suite of the 5th floor with balcony overlooking the pool and the lake beyond. We stayed at late July weekend which is a high season for this area.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57656671521105

Colin likes this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Sep 10, 2016 at 1:40 pm
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Trying to upgrade a stay here and told DSUs are only for "Park Luxury Suites". Problem is I just spent 20 minutes searching through the entire year -- I don't see one day in which the suite is available. Same with the agent on the phone. But phone agents (two of them) won't lift a finger for me.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I had a similar experience searching for a Park Luxury Suite. I had a reservation about 2-3 months ago and was looking to use a DSU for a 2 night stay. I called the Diamond line and they said they didn't see any availability for a "Park Luxury Suite" though the "Park Suite" and "Park Deluxe Suite" were both available. I called the front desk at the property to ask if I could use the DSU for the Park or Park Deluxe as the Park Luxury Suite was not available according to reservations. She stated that they did have a Park Luxury Suite available so they would call HGP to apply the DSU. I called later to confirm and I was confirmed into a Park Luxury Suite. Upon arrival there was no issue checking in and I had apparently been further upgraded into the Presidential Suite.

Moral of the story I learned is it seems the Park Luxury Suites are never in the reservation system as far as I could tell. I would suggest calling the property to ask about the availability as they did have the inventory available. It was a very nice stay with beautiful views so I am glad I took the time to call as I was ready to just give up and move elsewhere!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hyatt Regency La Jolla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.