Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
I have stayed here several times. The staff is very nice and helpful. ^
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JoshC
I have stayed here several times. The staff is very nice and helpful. ^
+1

I stayed here in May, and the property was very well kept. FD staff were helpful in extending my stay, and in recommending places to visit.

Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Stayed here a couple of weekends ago.
Quick, easy drive from the airport. Surprisingly, my 1am arrival was no issue.

Typical (identical) Hyatt Place. Clean, fairly new and in a nice area.
Typical (identical) tired breakfast of canned mushy fruit and dried out bread items.

At check-in, I was asked (without prompting) if I wanted points or amenity for being Diamond. I chose points. They didn't post. Why do they ask ?? It's not like they're not aware we're entitled to the bonus.

A couple of days after check-out, I received an e-mail survey.
I gave mostly 9's (to me, a 10 is "above and beyond" and is rarely obtained). I down rated a bit for the boring breakfast and value ($107 for HP on a weekend seems steep to me).

Within hours I had a canned reply saying something like "we're so sorry you were disappointed with your stay, but that's the way it is blah blah".
That reply is my only true complaint. It was downright condesending. I rated them a 9 in almost every question and offered constructive comments on the 2 areas below a 9. Overall was a 9 and they think I wasn't satisfied ?
Am I the only one who fills in the comments, so despite a 9 rating, saying "you can improve this ..." is considered a complaint ??

Or are they upset they didn't get a 10
Honestly, when I see a placard in a room that says "you might get a survey, if there's anything that wouldn't rate a 10, please let us know .. please give us straight 10s". In my book, that drops you down a couple points right off the bat. Ain't nobody perfect, asking me to rate you as such in all categories is a cheap call. If you want the rating then walk the talk.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by steve64
A couple of days after check-out, I received an e-mail survey.
I gave mostly 9's (to me, a 10 is "above and beyond" and is rarely obtained). I down rated a bit for the boring breakfast and value ($107 for HP on a weekend seems steep to me).

Within hours I had a canned reply saying something like "we're so sorry you were disappointed with your stay, but that's the way it is blah blah".
The GM there is bit over her head. Talked with her once. She came from some limited service IHG brand and obviously doesn't get the Hyatt touch.

After numerous problems I finally complained to the Hyatt corporate. The property never replied and I had to escalate couple of times. Finally Hyatt CS gave me some points for some serious incompetence from the hotel's part.

Few weeks later I received a nasty note from the hotel through Hyatt GP.

Last edited by holtju2; Sep 8, 2011 at 8:39 am
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
The GM there is bit over her head. Talked with her once. She came from some limited service IHG brand and obviously doesn't get the Hyatt touch.

After numerous problems I finally complained to the Hyatt corporate. The property never replied and I had to escalate couple of times. Finally Hyatt CS gave me some points for some serious incompetence from the hotel's part.

Booooo!!

I'm a fan of the Embassy Suites in that area. Based on the last couple of comments, I'll probably stick to the ES or check out the Sheraton or aLoft the next time I'm in the area.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2

I had a similar experience with this GM. Hyatt GP CS provided a resolution that was double the original and inadequate offer.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by kenbo
Booooo!!

I'm a fan of the Embassy Suites in that area. Based on the last couple of comments, I'll probably stick to the ES or check out the Sheraton or aLoft the next time I'm in the area.
In the past few years, I have stayed around 20 times at this property and on 3 separate occassions there have been noise problems with the result of me being awakened in the middle of the night.

If I choose to stay here again, I will ask for the most quiet isolated room.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
In the past few years, I have stayed around 20 times at this property and on 3 separate occassions there have been noise problems with the result of me being awakened in the middle of the night.

If I choose to stay here again, I will ask for the most quiet isolated room.
I'm curious, could you be a little more specific as to the type of noises you heard? I am thinking of dropping in to this property, but some noises (such as slamming and banging from adjacent rooms) really do bother me, while others, such as sirens/outside traffic noise, do not. Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
I'm curious, could you be a little more specific as to the type of noises you heard? I am thinking of dropping in to this property, but some noises (such as slamming and banging from adjacent rooms) really do bother me, while others, such as sirens/outside traffic noise, do not. Thanks.
Slamming doors, and in the last case the constant pounding of someone running on the treadmill at 3am. Avoid room 107.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
One general issue I have with many HPs is the "balloony" construction, as demonstrated by the wall vibration when doors slam, even down the hall. When I remember, I request a room at the end, which can cut the problem in half -- sort of.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:14 pm

Recently stayed here.

Typical Hyatt Place. I saw them doing some paperwork and saw some old MSI EnterprisePM reports. I thought all Hyatts were on Micros Opera! My staring (and shock) was noticed by the staff, and they asked if I was okay. LOL

Rates seemed to be a little steep for me (as mentioned above) for a HP stay. Breakfast wasn't that great -- plain cereal with bread/fruit items. I was actually still hungry when I left so I went out to eat somewhere else.

The pool was a nice addition (I don't swim though) and the gym seemed a little bare with a few running treadmills and a few dinky weights.

Overall -- nothing too unusal about this stay. My other nights were spent downtown at SPG's property. I really enjoyed that stay (and paid almost the same price)! They even upgraded me with no status, but that's a different story for a different thread.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I've since stayed here a 2nd time.
Again a very nice, new clean property. Beyond that, it's Hyatt Place so not much more to say.

I am concerned about the above comments ref "slamming doors".
After being in my room for over an hour, as I was leaving I noticed the door had not been latched. Sometimes it does take a nice pull (push) to get the deadbolt latch to clear and engage. I could NOT get this door to lock. I called down and they said they'd send someone up.
An hour passes with no one to help. I had to leave. I found that by slamming the door hard, the latch would engage. I don't mean "let go and let the auto-closer close the door hard". I mean SLAM the door into it frame.

Passing by the front desk, I mentioned that I was tired of waiting but had found the secret. I told him what I said above so the prime issue of getting my door to lock was solved, but I didn't like slamming doors in a hotel building. His only comment was that I could switch rooms. Slamming doors did not seem to be a concern of his.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:22 pm

Just checked out early this morning. Nice to have the hotel shuttle before 5 am to the airport since MAX doesn't operate early on Sundays. Good location and staff.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
no park and fly allowed anymore

It is disappointing to learn that they don't allow any extended parking, even if you want to pay extra, even over the weekend. That is unlike many other hotels at PDX. They are also usually more expensive than the spg, hilton or carlson hotels in the area. Too bad since this is the only Hyatt option in Portland.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I was very pleased with the experience at this place.

Got a fourth floor (top floor) room at the back. No noise at all -- no banging doors, didn't hear planes, either.

Light rail is super efficient and convenient. Took it into town and back on a Sunday night. Not easy to do many places.

The parking thing ... I just parked in the back. They never asked about car. Spaces were plentiful. I can't imagine why you couldn't leave a car there on a trip.

The river: If you go out the front, go across the intersection at the Cascades sign, and follow the little bike path signs, in less than a mile you are down on a bike bath along the Columbia River. Fantastic for running, walking, biking, and airplane watching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.