Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AAA rates are normally refundable up to 24 hours before arrival. If so and if you can find a cheaper rate, I would suggest cancelling and rebooking since the "breakfast rate" doesn't give you anything additional. It reminds me of promo rates that mention free airport shuttle service in the description of the benefits. Rather laughable if not borderline fraudulent.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Pingtung
HP breakfast will have your typical cereal, oatmeal, toast, yogurt as well as breakfast sandwiches and occasionally french toast. I generally like their sandwiches personally. If you don't like what you see, just head over to the IHOP next door.
Pretty pathetic breakfast. Thanks for the IHOP recommendation. Will certainly walk over there.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Platinum
These guys walked me when I got in about midnight, due to a flight delay back in December. Ended up getting a free stay at the Quality Inn a couple of miles away.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Pretty pathetic breakfast. Thanks for the IHOP recommendation. Will certainly walk over there.
Not really... HP's do a pretty decent free breakfast these days with normally some fairly good warm items (no it's not a full service property, but sometimes better than what you get in a US lounge).
Why not try it before having an opinion.

Last edited by RTW1; Apr 29, 2015 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Not really... HP's do a pretty decent free breakfast these days with normally some fairly good warm items (no it's not a full service property, but sometimes better than what you get in a US lounge).
Why not try it before having an opinion.
OK- we'll take a look.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You might even like it ;-).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:37 pm

Had a pretty good stay here. The staff were terrific. The room was very quiet and spotlessly clean. We're not fond of a dressing area/sink right in the bedroom, but that comes with all Hyatt Place properties I guess. The breakfast was poor, as I expected. They had run out of orange juice, a very basic item of breakfast (I never understand why they can't plan ahead or just send someone to a store to get some more). Fortunately we weren't very hungry so made due. We had a dinner at the bar and it was very tasty and reasonably priced.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:29 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've been following this thread for a while, biting my tongue. But because I never stayed here I didn't want to chime in and ask, what are you people thinking, raving about a cookie-cutter chain hotel at the airport and eating breakfast at IHOP. In Portland!

But: I just completed a two-night stay here, so I suppose I’m now eligible to join the conversation.

I stayed here on graduation weekend, and rates were eye watering. $249. For a Hyatt Place. At Portland airport. Even on random summer dates I checked, rates hover well above $150. Which is way too much for what they have to offer.

It's a standard HP with the standard HP smell and the standard HP amenities and the standard HP breakfast, and while that may be a good thing in, say, Reno, in Portland it means that you're missing out. Unless you're here for a quick overnight layover, any hotel downtown will be preferable (or indeed Airbnb); I'm just shaking my head why anybody would pay in excess of $200 for this place.

I found the airport noise to be very bothersome, but somebody above said they didn’t have any problems, so I’m inclined to believe that it may be dependent on wind direction and/or which way your room faces. I looked out over the parking lot (which is right under the approach path when planes land to the West), and the noise from landing planes was deafening (it does slow down at night, but there are some airplane movements after midnight and well before 6am).

I have “stayed” (mostly, mattress runs) at dozens of hotels in Portland, and to me, HP, HIX, aloft, etc are all interchangeable. I would say the HP costs about $100 more than it ought to, and there are numerous hotels that are preferable to it (and/or vastly cheaper). There are no meaningful status benefits with HPs, and IMO it’s a really bad idea to stay at HP PDX for anything but a single overnight layover.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I posted one of the favorable reviews last spring, but I have nothing to argue with what you have said. Since I posted, I have been amazed to read how hard it is to book at a reasonable price. I.e., I was happy at something like $115ai with free parking on an overnight stay plus I really liked the trail along the river, and the light rail into downtown worked for us. Also, I seem to have scored a room on the right side. But at twice that price, good grief, no way....
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, AA Platinum
As a business traveler throughout the USA and a Hyatt Diamond, I enjoy the Hyatt Place PDX. For me it's about the convenience of meeting my business schedule and not having to travel in and out of the city traffic. I avoid it by being near the airport with access the major highways. I tend to leave the hotel around 7am and occasionally I have time to take a sandwich and OJ to go in a coffee cup. I don't expect much from hotels for breakfast, but Hyatt Place serves one of the better breakfasts available considering it's comps. However, if I want a great breakfast I will go to the waffle window or somewhere in the city. For dinner I always bring something back to the room, with so many restaurants in Portland it's a shame to eat a hotel dinner at the bar. I'd walk over to buffalo wild wings before I did that. I only stay here 3 times a year, but I get exactly what 8 expect from hyatt place. Clean rooms, the room I want, breakfast if I want, free parking, free wifi, and close to the airport on flying days.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jpdx
I've been following this thread for a while, biting my tongue. But because I never stayed here I didn't want to chime in and ask, what are you people thinking, raving about a cookie-cutter chain hotel at the airport and eating breakfast at IHOP. In Portland!

But: I just completed a two-night stay here, so I suppose I’m now eligible to join the conversation.

I stayed here on graduation weekend, and rates were eye watering. $249. For a Hyatt Place. At Portland airport. Even on random summer dates I checked, rates hover well above $150. Which is way too much for what they have to offer.

It's a standard HP with the standard HP smell and the standard HP amenities and the standard HP breakfast, and while that may be a good thing in, say, Reno, in Portland it means that you're missing out. Unless you're here for a quick overnight layover, any hotel downtown will be preferable (or indeed Airbnb); I'm just shaking my head why anybody would pay in excess of $200 for this place.

I found the airport noise to be very bothersome, but somebody above said they didn’t have any problems, so I’m inclined to believe that it may be dependent on wind direction and/or which way your room faces. I looked out over the parking lot (which is right under the approach path when planes land to the West), and the noise from landing planes was deafening (it does slow down at night, but there are some airplane movements after midnight and well before 6am).

I have “stayed” (mostly, mattress runs) at dozens of hotels in Portland, and to me, HP, HIX, aloft, etc are all interchangeable. I would say the HP costs about $100 more than it ought to, and there are numerous hotels that are preferable to it (and/or vastly cheaper). There are no meaningful status benefits with HPs, and IMO it’s a really bad idea to stay at HP PDX for anything but a single overnight layover.

I've stayed at the Portland Hyatt Place dozens of times over the past 3 years when I have a layover before or after a PDX flight. I do agree with other posters that unless you are at the airport for a layover, it would be better to stay in the city center - Portland is a fabulous city, with so many cool shops and restaurants to sample.

That said, there are times when you need an airport hotel. The rates have varied, with winter rates in the low $100s with an AAA discount or the now-gone My Elite Rate, and summer rates ranging up to around $180-190 with discount. If it's ever been more than that, I have looked elsewhere (SPG has a couple of properties in the area).

Personally, I've never found airport noise to be an issue at the HP PDX or other airport area hotels. Connecting room or hallway noise is more problematic for me - at any airport hotel - so I always ask for a non-connecting room facing the runway or landing path. Don't judge - some of us really do like planes and airports.

In the past, I was one of the hotel's strong supporters. Now? Not so much, and I'll probably be looking elsewhere more often when I pass through Portland. Over time, the service quality has declined at this hotel.

The first 2 years I stayed there I found the staff to be quite accommodating and helpful. Diamond recognition was automatic. Rooms were clean. For a while the property even had a "Happy Hour" with discounted wine and appetizers in the evening, bringing people to the lobby area who might otherwise have been working in their rooms.

But over the past year there's been (what I think is) excessive staff turnover. Staff forget to ask about preference for Diamond amenity. I've had staff loudly announce room numbers when others are nearby - a no-no at hotels, especially when the guest is a solo female traveler. Last fall I had to wait hours - no hyperbole, literally *HOURS* - for my room, despite it being booked well in advance and having Diamond status. Internet connection speeds were abysmal - consistently around 2 Mbps or less - but this is one problem that has recently been fixed. One visit I kept stepping on pebbles and little briars that had not been vacuumed up. During another stay I found a broken coffee maker in the room. When I reported it there was no apology from front desk staff, and absolutely *zero* effort to either replace it or to make things right.

During my most recent stay last month, I found a large, sticky stain under the desk and several more disconcerting sticky spots on the carpet throughout the room. The carpet was definitely past-dates and long overdue for a shampooing. And there were hairs plastered to the wall in the shower. Combine the sticky stains and gross shower -- it makes you wonder whether or not other areas of the room were cleaned ...

Two or three years ago, this was a reasonable property to use if you were a Hyatt Passport member and need a hotel for an airport layover. But in my opinion, not any more.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:02 am

I stayed here once on a leisure stay. Breakfast was adequate but certainly nothing to get excited about. Service was fine and the room was clean. I think I paid around $130-ish? Definitely wouldn't stay here for anymore than that. If I have to stay near the airport, I'll head down the road to Embassy Suites.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:24 pm

Do not know who actually owns this Hyatt: but please be careful with any type of cancellations: they will go out of the way to mess it up.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by best
Do not know who actually owns this Hyatt: but please be careful with any type of cancellations: they will go out of the way to mess it up.
It's operated by Interstate Hotels and Resorts.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by best
This is a bit cryptic. Would you please be more specific?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.